Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

The DCTR Birthday Shout Outs Thread!

Post special events like conventions, online events, get togethers, etc.

Re: The DCTR Birthday Shout Outs Thread!

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:49 am

Dang, good luck on your Lightray, man. I've seen him at very fluctuating prices so hopefully you'll get him in a good trade or buy.

Yeah, the RE deck building game. It's actually VERY good for what it is. It's not the most in-depth game I've ever played but sometimes, these games are 50% of what you put into it yourself and heck, it's a card game, so what can you expect? I think it plays pretty good and I'm actually looking at getting the expansions. Basically it's 1 to however many players you want. You take turns exploring the mansion and acquire ammo, weapons, currency, etc, along the way and purchase better ammo and more powerful weapons along the way. Mansion cards reveal zombies and other enemies as well as random things like herbs. The printed instructions that came with the game are junk and have print head alignment errors and mistakes but I found some Errata online which helped.

I also got Arkham Horror the boardgame which is pretty darn fun if everyone gets into it. Lovecraft literature is hit or miss for me although Rats in the Walls is just awesome and the Cthulhu mythos that followed thanks in part to fan-made/third party contributions has just made for great fun. The boardgame is long but fun (IMO) and does a good job of immersing you in the lore.

Awesome, I took a look at Mice & Mystics online and I've got to say, I think I've found the next boardgame I want to pick up. A few years back, I thought about getting Mouse Guard but I'm pretty much the only guy in my social circle who would even consider playing a pen and paper RPG game but a boardgame with wedges of cheese for counters that looks like it kind of plays like Hero Quest... but you're all Mice?? That might just take a little less persuasion! Especially the cheese counters part.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby secondwhiteline » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:02 am

Yeah, that's the thing - Dominion's still the best of the deckbuilders as far as I've played, but I need something with that level of depth that also has a theme I can really dig. I was considering making my own, but I haven't figured out what theme would work best for the style of game. Marvel, DC, and Resident Evil all seem a bit off the mark for a deckbuilder (although if you centered it on DC's supernatural realm...).

I've got Arkham Horror, which is rad, but it's rare that it gets played. It's just hard to get my friends to want to spend their time and energy on it, as opposed to multiple playthroughs of Betrayal at House on the Hill, Ghost Stories, and King of Tokyo in one night. And if I want something more in-depth and horror themed, I usually lean towards Fury of Dracula. Arkham's hilarious for the absolute hell your characters go through, but I love the tense chase of Fury.

Yeah, that's a better comparison - Mice & Mystics is pretty much HeroQuest with mice. And it's not as unwieldy as a lot of other dungeon crawlers. Also, if you've got a game circle composed largely of girls and also guys who are totally secure in their masculinity, playing as adorable mice is the greatest thing ever. Also, you know how RPGs/dungeon crawlers have Rogue or Thief as a class? Mice's equivalent is the SCAMP. (Boom! Game sold.)
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:17 am

Well if you ever want to put our noggins (I was going to say noodles and then I realized how unpleasant that sounded) together and come up with the world's next best card game, I'm down for at least the design side of things. Mass publishing sources are surprisingly affordable. :batlol:

This is actually the second time I got the Arkham Horror game. The first time, my girlfriend's crazy dog devoured half of the instructions and some of the tokens. So far, the boardgames I own (off the top of my head) Arkham Horror, Simpsons Cluedo, World of Warcraft, Warcraft II, uh some space game that never got any love whose name escapes me but it's made by the company that made Descent, Descent, Pathfinder, HeroQuest, Dragonstrike, a bunch of Munchkin games and that pretty much sums it up. That doesn't include my TCG stuff though or Heroclix or my dust covered 3.5E to 4E D&D books that never ever get used. There's probably more but I can't remember them off-hand.

Man that game does sound good. I can't warrant getting another boardgame just yet having gotten two for my b-day, but I'll bide my time and when the moment seems right, I'll be flinging cheese tokens in no time.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Princess_Amethyst » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:26 pm

AcidDragon wrote:Thanks, SWL! Yeah, lots of toys, a cool Resident Evil card game and movies and games and clothes, etc. As a DCUC completist, though. This in particularly brought a smile to my face. :smgrin:

At last! The holy grail is mine. It's really mine. :mksad:

Ugh!!! AD, I'm so jealous of you that you got that Cheetah!! :wwlol:
Princess_Amethyst
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:29 am

I'm very happy with it. That's for sure. :batwink:
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:31 pm

Happy Birthday, BatmanJack. Hope to see you around. LOL. :batlol:
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Avalon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:59 pm

Happy Birthday, Jack!!
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Tango X » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Happy B-Day, Jack!
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby Webslinger » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:50 pm

Mine was Dec. 28th, where were you guys? LOL
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Skullmaster » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:05 am

Happy Birthday, Jack! Hey Webs, you gotta put it in your profile or it doesn't show up. :bsgrin: Happy belated!
Skullmaster
Partner
Partner

PreviousNext

Return to Special Events