Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

The NEW Improved I'm So Excited Thread!!

Post special events like conventions, online events, get togethers, etc.

Re: The NEW Improved I'm So Excited Thread!!

Postby Idiot Savant » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:53 am

C2E2 didn't disappoint....it felt SO good to be back in Chicago and the con environment.

I saw Stan (for all of 5 seconds) while he had a small assembly line of items to sign for $60-$80 depending on the size; this was my first payed autograph ever and it was worth it. It was funny, most people that got his autograph, few seemed to say anything to him, just in awe I suppose..but I thanked him (which in sure he's heard a zillion times) for all he's done for us and he said in his usual, jovial way "you're very welcome, it was my pleasure".

C2E2 didn't disappoint....it felt SO good to be back in Chicago and the con environment.

I saw Stan (for all of 5 seconds) while he had a small assembly line of items to sign for $60-$80 depending on the size; this was my first payed autograph ever and it was worth it. It was funny, most people that got his autograph, few seemed to say anything to him, just in awe I suppose..but I thanked him (which in sure he's heard a zillion times) for all he's done for us and he said in his usual, jovial way "you're very welcome, it was my pleasure".

I feel bad for him too, cuz I think he'd like to talk with some of the fans, but he wasn't allowed to, due to either the amount of fan items to sign and how many people were in line...still, can't be overly pleasant sometimes. I've received many autographs of a variety of celebrities for free, so paying for Stan and Neal's was acceptable to me.

I also got Neal Adams' autograph too, and while I was there, he was tearing a (maybe a no-longer fan) a new one! The guy said he didn't like Neal's "Batman: Odyssey" book and Neal went off; cussing at the guy (but not calling him names, just being very descriptive and colorful) and after all that was said and done; the guy ended up buying the HC compilation (for $50; what a salesman Adams is!) but wanted Neal to write him the worst greeting and autograph on the inside..Neal did it all with a smile; classic Adams!

I saw a bunch of spectacular costumes walking around (with people inside), awesome artists in the alley, lots of cool toys and comics as well.

All in all, an amazing day.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Idiot Savant » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:55 am

Whoops....
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:23 pm

Nice. Sounds like a good time, Savant.
"He Got What He Came to Him"
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby HectorHall » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:16 am

Gald you had fun at the con, the autographs sound cool, but inquiring minds really want to know more about any loot you hauled back.
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby secondwhiteline » Wed May 07, 2014 12:30 am

I went to Chiller Expo in New Jersey a couple weekends ago, and got some great autographs. The following post is image-heavy, for which I apologize.

My gf and I dressed like Riff Randell and Joey Ramone to meet the main female cast of Rock 'n' Roll High School.
Mary Woronov

Dey Young

PJ Soles! Pic turned out blurry, but she was really excited about my gf's costume. Even did her autograph for free.

Charles Band, founder of Full Moon Studios

Chris Sarandon. My hair is still messed up from the wig and I wish I had caught that.

Hiroshi Koizumi, scientist in a bunch of Godzilla movies and major player in a ton of awesome movies from Matango to Late Chrysanthemums.

Bin Furuya, the original Ultraman!

And finally, the big moment for me, Heather Langenkamp (Nancy from the Nightmare on Elm Street movies)! I've been a fan of hers since I was a kid.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Wed May 07, 2014 12:46 am

A bit about the con: Chiller was PACKED. I knew it was going to be busy going in, but even my girlfriend was surprised at the crowds, and she's been before. This is probably because Norman Reedus and Jon Bernthal were there. The line for Reedus seriously stretched into the 5-6 hour mark. I don't think I waited longer than fifteen minutes to meet anyone.

So imagine my surprise when, walking down a crowded hallway, I brush right by Norman Reedus going in the other direction. The con set up some time slots for professional photo shoots with some of the bigger guests, and I think they were ushering him over to his. My girlfriend didn't even notice him until I pointed it out, but the second Chris Sarandon walked into the Q&A panel room, she squeezed my hand so tightly I'm still waiting for the circulation to return.

Credit to Reedus - he couldn't make it to Sunday because of some filming he had to do, so he apparently stayed really late on Saturday to make sure he got to every fan. I heard nothing but great things about the guy.

The weirdest part of the convention was the hype surrounding Abe Vigoda, who was apparently making his first convention appearance ever. Staff was handing out flyers for him specifically, which were also plastered to every surface. Just Abe Vigoda's smiling face in every direction. My gf and I got in a lot of 1984 jokes, because at Chiller, Abe Vigoda is Big Brother.

Charles Band is a total shill and I love it. He even got me to sign up for Full Moon's streaming site. But it was $18 for 3 months and they threw in 3 Blu-Rays and Charlie signed stuff for free with the sub, so it was a pretty decent deal. Full Moon Streaming also just made a deal with Blue Underground to add their library, which is a huge add for me. Just watched Tombs of the Blind Dead earlier on there.

All our celebrity encounters were pretty great. My gf also got autographs from Ken Page, Kimmy Robertson, and Cathy Rigby, who seemed really excited to sign my gf's Peter Pan program from when she saw the play as a kid. And I got to tel Hiroshi Koizumi how much I loved him in Late Chrysanthemums, which seemed to mean a lot to him (I think he probably heard about nothing but Godzilla all weekend). And Bin Furuya needs some kind of reality show, because the guy is a blast and makes things impossibly fun.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Wed May 07, 2014 6:43 am

Nice pics!! Looks like it was a great con!
"He Got What He Came to Him"
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby HectorHall » Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the experience. I am a big fan of the Ramones, they saved rock-n-roll! Gabba Gabba Hey!
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby secondwhiteline » Wed May 14, 2014 12:20 am

Gabba Gabba Hey!

In other Secondwhiteline news, here's the (mostly) finished tattoo. I'm getting some of the black touched up because not all of it took during the first sitting, but that was probably inevitable with so much of it. But the detail and color are both in now!
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby HectorHall » Wed May 14, 2014 1:42 am

Nice Ink! What made you go with Vertigo?
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Special Events