Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Yo, Do You Remember: 1993 Royal Rumble!!!

Here's the place to run wild with Hulkamania, share some Attitude, or drop your Ruthless Aggression. Then. Now. Forever.

Re: Yo, Do You Remember: The Debuts of 91!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:06 pm

OK, shame :roll: Yeah, the Attitude era was something else, I miss all of that stuff from the 90s. I got more coming up soon ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Yo, Do You Remember: The Debuts of 92!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:09 pm

OK, before we get into 1992, here is a couple I thought i should do since I didn't do it before. The Roy Rumble 91, look at that cool artwork of the wrestlers in the street, I thought that was so creative back then! This Rumble was pretty good.

oh and how did I forget about Harvey Wippleman debuted in 91 :?:

So now we're of to 92, arguably one My most fave years in wrestling and really in general. Here is many of the debuts & returns and more!

Ah, look at that! Chris Chavis became Tatanka! Crush returned, Afa returned with the former Samoan Swat Team Fatu & Samu The Headshrinkers! Nailz, Papa Shango and Doink the Clown! The Diamond Studd left WCW and became Razon Ramon in the WWF! Kamala returned! Yokozuna arrived! Bam Bam Bigelow, Bob Backlund and Terry Taylor are returned! Oh boy, Max Moon & Damien Demento made their debuts in 92!

Can't forget about Paul Ellering & Rocco!

and the Roy Rumble 92! This is the last time they would have have street poster which is such a shame :roll: It was a good one, first ever where the world title was on the line due to the situation of This Tuesday In Texas!

Wrestlemania 8 was a great one, gosh the isle was like the longest one ever!

SummerSlam 92 is My fave SS along with SS 95. This wa sthe most unique one ever! The main event with The Bulldog & Bret hart was so good!

The Warrior had returned at WM 8, fought the Macho Man at SummerSlam 92 then became the Ultimate Maniacs! I loved that short lived team!

Survivor Series 92 was good but I always had mixed emotions about at because it didn't have the traditional elimination matches but great highs was Yokozuna destroyed Virgil and Doink popping these kids' balloons he just gave'em! The Warrior was MIA as Mr. Perfect took his place.

This from the Wrestling Promo Topic as I'm quoting what I posted there ;)

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Here's this promo which this is actually one of the most important promos you could ever watch :? Why :batconfused: :wwhuh: :smhuh: Because, this was on the last WWF Saturday Night's Main Event until 2006 when everything changed :shock: This promo is THE START of the Bret Hart & Shawn Michaels feud that we all know today :o Flair beat Savage for the WWF Title, then all of a sudden Bret beta him for the Championship...HBK beat The Bulldog for the Intercontinental Championship as he was on his way back to the U.K. and then WCW. At the end listen to Bobby, he get's the scoop about the big Ultimate Maniacs vs. Flair & Ramon tag match as one side will not have a partner :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

OK, keep what the Brain said on your mind...

Here's The great Ultimate Maniacs vs. Ric Flair & Razor Ramon. I sometimes think back about how this match would have been if it actually happen :roll: It was good yet a shame The Warrior left and Mr. Perfect turned face and join Macho instead. Also, I recall this when Macho lost the world title to Flair then he lost to Bret Hart about a week later at house shows...this was just months before the very first Monday Night Raw :o

Ric Flair & Razor Ramon with Mr. Perfect!

With The Warrior leaving WWF, Randy get's a new partner and this was great!

Flair & Razor are enemies of Mr. Perfect now and Flair cuts one of the best promos!

OK...I couldn't find much I looking for because Yokozuna, The Headshrinkers & Doink all made their PPV debuts at the great event! Now here is MY FAVORITE of it all...I never posted any promos of Nailz yet but now is the time :o Nailz debuted in the Summer of 92, at first I thought he was Steve Austin with the short blonde hair but realized nope that isn't him...he's way bigger! Listen to his voice, I have always loved his voice. This fan-made promo trailer is epic...I absolutely love this one :)

Well, how much of this do you remember, the debuts and returns? The events? Let it be known! Next will be 93, until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Yo, Do You Remember: WBF & ICOPRO - HUGE HISTORY!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:00 pm

Before we get to the actual showcase, continuing where I left off in 92, here is High Energy which was "The Rocket" Owen Hart & "The Bird Man" Koko B. Ware. They were a very good and underrated team that never went anywhere which were kinda like enhancement talent. They were like The New Foundation 2.0 in a way.

Do you remember when the Steiners left WCW and went to the WWF in late 92? Amazing they were on one one of the last episodes ever oF Prime Time Wrestling and debuted on one of the first episodes ever of Monday Night Raw :o

Do you remember when Jimmy Garvin from the NWA/WCW made 1 lonely appearance in the WWF right before the 1992 Survivor Series? Well, many people didn't unless you were there in the event. This short clip was released not that long ago. Remember the WWF Wrestlmania The Album and on the first Wrestlemania track there is a mysterious voice there saying "I said are you ready for The Survivor Series" right in the beginning of it :?: Well THAT'S HIM! Many people didn't know it tilljust recently including Me :o

Here he IS :!:

Yo, do you remember the World Bodybuilding Federation aka the WBF :?:

Please NOTE: All pics are from various sources, credit goes to the original owners.

Long story short, Vinnie Mac founded another company of Titan Sports in 1990, the WBF! Since he was so obsessed with with bodybuilding it was very obvious than he would do something like this sooner rather than later. IMO It was extremely well done with presentation, the build of it's events and effects. It was arguably performed better than the actual WWF events at the time. However, because of his major steroid scandal and court cases still lingering on, the WBF folded in 1992 which was 30 years ago THIS YEAR!

HERE is the Wikipedia Page for all the history!

I gotta be honest, I loved it when I was a kid. When i was young before the Attitude era happen, I really liked Vince McMahon even though I knew he was the owner years prior thanks to Pro Wrestling Illustrated. For a long while I used to dress like Vinnie Mac on Prime Time Wrestling with them pants and I was serious about bodybuilding too. I worked out a lot. The WBF was a cool and fun sideshow of the WWF for Me and I thought it was exciting. Many people pick on it for this and that but I'm not going to because I actually have fond memories of it so here is a look of the moments of the WBF!

First off, here is Vinnie Mac's #1 guy of the fed and basically his Brock Lesnar predecessor...this African monster is named Gary Strydom and he was the WBF champion till it folded...oh and he's "Too Legit To Quit" :!:

Here is some of the cool WBF Magazines!

I actually own this one (its in with all My WWF & WCW magazines in storage). My Grandma got it for Me at Schnucks in 92. The mags were great, they were made by the WWF's publishing company as they were nearly identical how the great WWF Magazines was as to how they looked and felt. It was fun reading and looking at it many times!

Here is an ad in that was the mag I have. It is promoting the WBF Championship!

So was Gary Strydom the only headliner of the fed :?: Nope, you gotta have another headliner and a special attraction and that was Lou Ferrigno! This would have been even bigger than the Ferrigno/Arnold feud/fiasco but things didn't work out that way. Strydom would eventually win the championship anyway (SPOILERS AHEAD!)

Here is a brief look at the championship, it was a mixture of a WWF Event something of an atmosphere of a Slammies/Hall of Fame combination. Vinnie Mac and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan was on commentary along with legendary bodybuilder Tom Platz! Mean Gene would be on the podium and Sean Mooney would be the interviewer just like old classic WWF times!

"The Total Package" Lex Luger left WCW in early 92 after he lost the world title to Sting. His first appearance was at Wrestlemania 8 in a brief live satellite interview...this was huge for Me then cause I just saw him WCW not long before this :shock: He signed with the WWF/WBF and entered into the championship tournament...

Unfortunately he got in a bad motorcycle accident that shattered his right arm. He had to withdraw from the tournament and things were changed. He appeared on the PPV in a hospital bed with his bossy nurse by his side...

while Gary Strydom questionably won the WBF Championship Tournament. I thought that some of the other competitors were just as good if not better but that is just Me.

Here is the VHS of the event.

Here is sort of a mockery that Luger did but most of all is what he really wanted is to be on the cover of the WBF Magazine!

There was some talk of WBF vs. WWF and there would be some sort of it with a tug of war with "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan being the WWF's Team Captain. In the WWF Magazine there was a special with Ray Combs. The Ultimate Warrior even appeared there but was never a competitor even though he could have dominated it ala his pose down with "Ravishing" Rick Rude at the WWF Royal Rumble 89 :o

This was never to be :shock: :roll:

Here is some videos of the WBF!

WBF Promo!

WBF Bodystars vs. WWF Superstars in a tug of war in Body Star Wars!

Gary Strydom & Lou Ferrigno on WWF Prime Time Wresting!

Here is the actual WBF Championship Event!

Yo, do you remember ICOPRO :?:

This was also part of Vinnie Mac's bodybuilding program, the enhancement formula gimmick and it coincided in 1991 with the WWF & WBF and it would last until 1995 within the WWF. I actually went to My local GNC in Crestwood Plaza and saw it and looked at it many times over many different occasions but I couldn't afford it...NO JOKE! I saw this advertised countless times on WWF TV throughout it's entire stint. It wasn't cheap but it was excellent actually seeing and holding it in person. It was cool and stuff but I'd rather go across the mall and go to K-B Toys and K & K Toys and get the great vintage WWF among other action figures!

Strangely, I think the logo looks like the nWo logo but that wouldn't happen till 1996...in WCW :? :?: :o

Here is some logos of it thru it's time.

Here the Dr., Mean Gene & Mooney talking about the great product of Titan Sports!

Here is the example of what it looks like.

Here is the logo on the original Monday Night Raw set before a live audience and also at a taping.

Here is the logo and a live Raw, a fan with the ICOPRO Shirt, Bret & Owen Hart together, Crush, Razor Ramon, The Steiners, Tatanka and Lex Luger from their commercials!

Heck, even wrestlers from other promotions got in on the supplement including a few of The Armstrong's (Bullet Bob, Steve and Scott) and Tracey Smothers :!:

Here is some videos of ICOPRO!

Well, that's it for this special Yo, do you remember WBF & ICOPRO and 92 and I hope you liked it! Great WWF stuff in 93 is coming soon, until then I'll see around :batgrin:

Here's a big update here for 92. Jamison Winger (John DiGiacomo) would return at WWF Prime Time Wrestling in the live studio audience when it was really cool. He would then join The Bushwackers and be a a near perfect fit for them and feud with the late great "The Genius" Lanny Poffo and The Beverly Brothers and face them at the WWF Royal Rumble 92 in a very fun match to say the least :)

OK, you just saw the Armstrong clan there as they are seen doing ICOPRO :shock: Well, around this time the WWF would get one of them which was Steve Armstrong. He would debut in the later months of the year as Lance Cassidy. Not that long before this he was in WCW as one half of the tag team The Southern Boys/The Young Pistols with late great Tracey Smothers. While he seemed to fit rather well within the exciting roster, Cassidy's stint wouldn't last long thus missing the WWF Royal Rumble 93 and going back to WCW as Steve Armstrong.

"The Wild Samoan" Kokina Maximus was a really big, nearly 500 pounder that wrestled in the AWA among other wrestling Federations and would be manged by the late great Sheik Adnan El Kassey (General Adnan) and team with the late great Bad News Brown, The Giant Warrior and even team with his cousin "Samoan Swat Team/Headshrinker" the "Samoan Savage" Samu who would soon be in the WWF with Fatu and become The Headshrinkers.

He would then be in the WWF but would have only one match at a WWF House Show. It was filmed and just released not that long ago to the plebeians. He would gain weight, be totally repacked as a Japanese Sumo Wrestler named Yokozuna from Polynesia with absolutely no hype, no promos, no vignettes, nothing and become a huge force within the Federation and even becoming WWF World & Tag Team Champion not to mention one of My all-time favorite wrestlers :)

So Yokozuna's debut was on WWF Superstars on October 31, 1992 which was on Halloween :blbat: He would be managed by Mr. Fuji. The commentators are in awe about him and that he weights 505 pounds which is nearing the weight of Andre the Giant. he does the usual ritual of Sumo.

Right away destroys his opponent Bill Jordan with brutal chops & a uranage and then a huge leg drop.

He looks to the camera, I love Yokozuna's expression :batwink:

He then is ordered by Master Fuji to back splash him in the corner and then do his Banzi Drop which nobody can believe this as he pins him for the win :o

Yoko then gives a good Japanese emote to the camera which he is actually quite convincing that he is one from Japan. He celebrates with Mr. Fuji his debut win :)

The future of Yokozuna would be very bright and it would spawn one of the most patriotic and exciting times ever in pro wrestling in 1993 which very, very soon I will post a huge 93 Debuts & Events special :o
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Yo, Do You Remember: 1993 - HUGE Edition!!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:11 am

IMPORTANT PROLOG :!: It's been a long while comin' for the"Yo, do you remember" topic...WAY TOO LONG :? What you are about to see & read will be one of the most visually stunning spotlights ever seen by Me or perhaps by anybody for that matter as this was very hard work but it was fun in the long run :) This is actually a year in the making :shock: I began to realize that I should do more than the other years and one thing led to another because 1993 was such a remarkable year in wrestling despite what people like WrestleCrap, OSW & YT has conditioned people to think cause they weren't it around that decade so they need to watch the old events and see how the kids & adults alike were having so much fun and were really in into it so they need to think twice before they make fun of great stuff :o So yes next is 1993! It was a year of change but for a few moments into the early months, it was still like 92 as you could say with any new year has it's left overs from the previous one. 93 was really a cool year for a lot reasons for like movies, action figures, video games & comics and especially in wrestling. The WWF has survived without Hulk Hogan for nearly a year while Bret Hart has become the new face of the company but that wouldn't last long. Many newcomers would arrive, the thing is most of the new arrivals would appear with the first few months of the year plus there would be some unexpected returns as well so it was a lot of excitement to take in for a 12 year old Brandon :) Now the WWF will be the major focus here but I'm not one one to ignore the other great fun wresting corporations during this era so from time to time in this absolutely ginormous special you will see stuff from the others. Now think of this like a magazine that you like, you don't want to hurry up and get done with it like this current generation thinks, no, think of it the old school way, it's so much funner that way and besides there's a ton of history here not to be overlooked and you can save it for later as there is no rule that you have speed thru a post especially as grand as this one as My stuff is like no other and there is always something to look back one :) So I loved how the WWF would have partnerships with other federations down south which I loved them other companies and how "country" they were :) These other promotions was Jerry "The King" Lawler & Jerry Jarrett's USWA - United States Wrestling Association, here you see Vinnie Mac, Macho Man and Doink the Clown there along with USWA originals Jeff Jarrett, Brian Christopher & Jeff Gaylord.

They really had great talent like Kevin Von Erich & Lance Russell. Jerry Lawler & Jerry Jarrett (The Two Jerry's)...

Lawler was partners with Jarrett's son Jeff and even his own cryptic son Brian Christopher. Jeff would tag with a Robert Fuller (Col. Robert Parker and would reunite with him in the WWF years later as Tennessee Lee. The Southern Rockers were also a top tag team and they would join the WWF in 93 as Well Dunn...

Jeff would ultimately be the biggest face/star of the company and he would make to the WWF in late 93 and become one of the Federations most talented wrestlers in recent times and would also become of the biggest names in wrestling history :!: Jim Cornette was also big there and his men such as Steve Keirn & Stan Lane. USWA really had the moments.

"Sensational" Sherri would make her way down south and manage her own team and look good doing it. They were Brian Christopher & Scotty Flamingo (Johnny Polo & Raven) :!:

During an argument with Jerry Lawler she also reunited with Macho Man Randy Savage. During this feud she met his lovely "assassin" Jacqueline Moore, yes that same Jackie in the Attitude Era :o

Also during these great times of USWA and this is something that you never ever hear anybody talking about which this was supposed to be a huge secret back then..."The Rocket" Owen Hart defeated Papa Shango for the USWA Championship :o :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

One of the biggest moment ever in the WWF was in 1997 during the ECW invasion. Well nobody ever talks about the about when ECW invaded USWA :o

In the great year of 1995, USWA had the likes of Axel Rotten, Spellbinder, Doug Gilbert, The Armstrongs. Tracy Smothers and even WWF's very good underrated & underused Techno Team 2000 :!:

Everybody knows Mr. McMahon and the Mr. McMahon character but did you know that the character was actually born in 1993 in the USWA :? Yep, like Owen Hart winning the world title, this was supposed to be hush hush as well :shock: Vinnie Mac was a clear babyface during the WWF's matches commentary & interviews but here there was no difference from how he would become once The Attitude Era began :batsmh: :wwshock: :smgasp: Jim Ross's Fake Razor Ramon & Diesel were there and this is actually where The Rock got his Rock persona as Flex Cavana :shock:

In 1997, The Truth Commission was a major force in the USWA. This was still when The Commandant was their leader before the days of The Jackyl (Don Callis) and one of the very few times they used the big masked man Tank (Bruiser Mastino - Mantaur). What a shame that this awesome team didn't last in the WWF :roll:

This year in 2023, Jerry Jarrett passed away, here's My special tribute to him, look at him with The King & Jeff :roll:

So here's another fine organization, Jim Cornette's SMW - Smokey Mountain Wrestling. Like USWA this is where WWF would get a lot of their upcoming talent cause there was no training facilities like their current NXT & Performance Center/PC, AEW's Nightmare Factory, Power Plant or anything like that. His main guys were The Heavenly Bodies. The organization had many great talents including The Rock 'n' Roll Express, Cousins Robert & Ron Fuller (Bunkhouse Buck), "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff & Dutch Mantell (Uncle Zebekiah Colter) and "Bam Bam" Terry Gordy.

Also others such as Kevin Sullivan & Night Stalker (Adam Bomb/Wrath/Brian Clarke), The Fantastics, "Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony (T.L. Hopper) & "Nature Boy" Buddy Landell as well as The Koloffs, Ivan & Nikita. I have always loved SMW's Logo as it looks very southerly and represents what the promotion stands far ;)

Now of SMW's most prized talent was Tammy Sytch. SHe was a new and upcoming manager and she was really a groundbreaking manger for the independent or lesser known federations. I had a crush on her during these times and I always liked to look & read about her in the old wrestling magazines. She was different and serious about the sport. Her main men was "Prime Time" Brian Lee (Ted Dibiase's The Undertaker & D.O.A.'s Chainz) and her real life boyfriend Chris Candido which were a dominant tag team. Before their Bodydonnas days in the WWF in 95 they were going to be a superhero couple which really I would have loved to see how they would have been then again Barry Horowitz would never have gotten his first victory against Skip and we wouldn't have had that great moment :o

Another to mention is Unabomb. This was Glenn Jacob's first big gimmick and he was precursor to his Kane gimmick in the WWF in 97. Right before the WWF signed him as jerry Lawler's maniac monstrous dentist, Issac Yankem, DDS, he fought The Undertaker in a special 1995 WWF/SMW crossover :o You see how the WWF used USWA & SMW for talent :?: Eventually Vince McMahon bought them both in the 90s :roll:

So now here is "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert's GWF - Global Wrestling Federation in Texas. This was a very fine wrestling organization. Unfortunately they would fold within a few years of the short existence :roll: They would have veteran talent like Bill Eadie/Ax of Demoltion and "The Birdman" Koko B. Ware. This is where Del Wilkes The Patriot started his tenure and also where Bonnie Blackstone honed her craft and where the WWF got her. I really liked their Logo too.

Wild Bill Irwin was here. Former NFL player Tony Norris would become Moadib who would become Ahmed Johnson in 95 in the WWF. Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw (WWE's JBL) would have his time here. Also The Body Snatcher was a force to reckon with. They had a Talent Search and "Gentleman" Chris Adams was a big part of this.

One of the most memorable times of GWF was the matches between a very young Jerry Lynn and The Lightning Kid whom would become The 1-2-3 Kid & X-PAC in the WWF. They had one heck of a rivalry :batwink:

So here's the man, "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert who was responsible for this good federation. Arguably the biggest event to ever take place within it was the feud between The Patriot & The Dark Patriot :shock: The Dark Patriot was none other than Doug Gilbert, Eddies real life young brother who would have tryouts in the WCW & WWF. Boni Blackstone was usually the interviewer and even Bruce "Brother Love" Pritchard had a bit to do in the GWF :o

Now My favorite that was there was Jeep Swenson. He was a huge man one of the most underrated wrestlers in history. While so many people online either don't know him or ignore him, he's always on My mind....

He had the biggest arms in the world at 26" and was in movies & TV shows which one would think he would never fall in limbo to plebeians :roll: He was Bane in 97's Batman & Robin but I first knew him in 89s's No Holds Barred as a pit fighter Lugwrench Perkens fighting "The Human Wreaking Machine" Zeus. He would also be reunited with him in 96 in WCW as The Final/Ultimate Solution when they joined The Dungeon of Doom and the Alliance to Destroy Hulkamania. I've expressed of this in the Movie Trailers & Wrestling Promo Topics as well as others cause I have always loved this :)

Now here's this that probably many people don't know. Chuck Norris's great TV show Walker: Texas Ranger debuted in 1993 (see how cool this tear was!) and was filmed in Texas obviously hence the title & stories. They had a special deal with the GWF :shock: Many of their wrestlers would appear in the show including Jeep Swenson. He was in at least 2 episodes as two different characters. When I first saw this I was quite excited. Also Tony"Ahmed Moadib Johnson" Norris (no relation) appeared and so did Randal Reeder "The Body Snatcher" with Chuck's son Mike Norris who appeared many times as different characters. Fighting movies & wrestling always goes hand in hand like I've said before I mean it's really a no brainer situation and is as equally fun, I've known this ever since I was a youngster ;)

Now here we go with Eastern Championship Wrestling/ECW. They were under the National Wrestling Alliance/NWA tutelage since it was owned by Tod Gordon and not yet really known as [b]Extreme Championship Wrestling. Paul E. Dangerlously[/b] left WCW to be here and eventually take it over. Over time the WWF would used them as stepping stones like they did with USWA, SMW & GWF. Guys like Steve Austin & Brian Pillman are good good examples however ECW would benefit as well which the PJ Walker/Aldo Montoya's transformation into Justin Credible is a great example of that. When ECW was really beginning they had some great talent "The Magnificent Rock" Don Muraco, Tito Santano, "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka and even "Hotstuff" Eddie Gilbert :!:

They'd have Road Warrior Hawk, Stan "The Lariat" Hansen and Ivan Koloff. Kevin Sullivan & Abdullah the Butcher would have a major feud and it was really one of first big ones within the company. The Headhunter (The Squat Team/Arabian Butchers). The fans were really into this and like I said, how people today talk about wrestling from this time among other time periods like WrestleCrap, plebeians sure didn't have that frame of mind then...it shows you how this generation and younger people are compared to the people like Me from around this era :roll: :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

This was the true beginnings of some of ECW's top talent that would be known later on. Salvatore Bellomo took on a new gimmick "Wildman" Sal Bellomo and this was the first days of the suicidal, homicidal, genocidal lunatic Sabu along with his handler 911 aka Tombstone, Sledge Hammer & Big Al :!: The Sandman was a huge babyface and didn't have his beer drinking, antihero persona yet. 1993 saw THE DEBUT of Tommy Dreamer :o He fought The Tazmaniac who would be Taz that we all know today. 93 also saw the birth of "The Franchise" Shane Dougles and the main player of the company for a long while. You could tell Paul E. was getting closer & Gordon was getting further away.....see how important 1993 was, i don't know when people is really going to see and acknowledge this :shock:

Now here we are with World Championship Wrestling/WCW. This was the World Wrestling Federation's' main rival & competition. The NWA & Crockett part of their past was gone and was completely owned by Ted Turner. They were strictly on TBS Superstation and were a great alternative to the WWF. They may not have looked as techy or as good quality but their wrestling was really good and their matches were usually steps ahead of the WWF because while people that strictly watched WWF and didn't watch and/or read wrestling from elsewhere, they weren't connected to high-flying, smaller wrestlers from other countries and so forth. So during this time Big Van Vader along with his manager legendary Harley Race was the world champion and the title belt still looked very different as they still didn't bring back the old world championship that "Nature Boy" Ric Flair brought to the WWF in 91 as The Real World's Champion. Flair was still in the WWF but 93 is when he came back to WCW so things would change. Keep doing what your doing and follow this great history that so few talk about as I will have that in the 93 Programming after the huge 93 Debut Section :) The British Bulldog would come to WCW and team with Sting and face new manager Col. Robert Parker's (USWA & SMW's Robert Fuller seen above new team called Masters of the Powerbomb which was Vader and the returning Sid Viscous. Flair would be part of the roster along with “Fifi the French Maid” whom he would marry in real life. Also Harlem Heat would debut but not as Booker T. & Stevie Ray, they were Kole & Kane :o

Next up would be The Bruise Twins, Ron & Don Bruise (The Blu & Grimm Twins, D.O.A., Creative Control that would be in all three major feds. The Cole Twins, Tex Slazenger and Shanghai Pierce (The Godwinns), Yoshi Kwan (Chris Champion), Rip Rogers, Max Payne (Man Mountain Rock), Big Sky (Taylor Mane - Sabertooth in 2000's X-Men movie), Vinnie Vegas (Master Blaster Steele, Oz, Diesel, Kevin Nash) and The Nasty Boys returned with the matching grungey hot Missy Hyatt in arguably their best run ever and one of the coolest times as well :!:

The Shockmaster (Tugboat Tyler/Typhoon) would make his unbelievable debut that so many people over the past decade make fun of. Jungle Jim Steele, The Equalizer/Dave-Evad Sullivan (Kevin's kayfabe brother) would enter WCW. Lord Steven Regal would debut as they would introduce wrestlers from other countries besides Davey Boy Smith. Scott "Flash" Norton would return and reintroduce the Gaijin toughman that competed in Japan. Harley Race's Colossal Kongs (competed in GWF) would debut plus Thunder & Lightning (the latter would become Cobra & nWo Sting). Mean Gene Okerlund would leave the WWF during the time of WWF SummerSlam 93 and would be the main interviewer for the company which really this was surprising and kinda the start of WCW getting the big names from WWF thus making more people tune into WCW. Ice Train, Dirty Dick Slater, "Pretty" Paul Roma would arrive and even veterans like The Junk Yard Dog & Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart would be part of this cool WCW roster. Glenn Jacobs would appear to have one match as Bruiser Mastino which was the same name of the late great Mike Halac's (Mantaur) would have :o

WCW would also have their own "Event/Control Center" as well which they had a similar version with Jim Ross before he jumped ship to the WWF in early 93. Joe Fowler would replace Mean Gene for a while and in WCW of all people Eric Bischoff would be a part of the WCW Control Center.

Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:19 am

Plus there would be a lot of fun times to be had for sure.1993 is a year that is picked on by many but what they don't realize is how much cool stuff there was and big of a year it was. It was all so visually awesome with the new cameras & special effects, the wrestlers attires and everything seemed so vibrant. Also one important aspect that may have been unnoticed is that 93 was truly the start of things to come with hardcore ringside & backstage segments high flying action that was only seen in other territories and countries and to have have women here and there. Stuff like that was known in the WWC, CMLL, AAA & NJPWE but for WWF fans who didn't have access to or gave other companies a chance were not used to this newer type of wrestling. Even though this was years before the Attitude Era, IMO this was done properly as it was a treat for the adults & kids a like because it was new. Kids of the 80s would really like the bonus fights but as a appropriate way were not interested in the lady stuff as much as the web wasn't around to entice an early adulthood if you will. As a youngster I loved the rough & high flying stuff from The Heavenly Bodies, the fights like Macho Man & Crush and the women such as the Raw Ring Card Girls and the way Luna Vachon would dress showing off her little booty was a compact boost for My enthusiastic curiosity of babes. I know people complain about the time and how it just sucked but this is coming from an age that was influence of new ages of net era than has succumbed and ignored appreciation of a time that once was. The people at the time that were at the event were very excited, the kids were especially astounded as many were afraid or didn't know what to think of guys like Giant Gonzales & Adam Bomb. Watch the old tapes, clips and/or see My upcoming pics here within the special installment if you don't believe Me. Today's generation is far, far different compared to the ones in the 80s & early 90s and sometimes I am just in dismay about this :roll: I have come to enjoy & respect how it was in the WWF back then and while I loved 90 - 92 and I liked 94 and adored 95, 93 was truly euphoric and engaging on multiple levels and it would also mark the beginning of the very first days of WWF New Generation, Monday Night Raw and the King of the Ring as well :!:
Now arguably the biggest aspect of 1993 in the WWF was that is was the most Patriotic Year since Sgt. Slaughter turned heel in 1990 and lasted until the later part of 1991 but 1993 will even more Stars & Stripes Forever :!:

So, see if you remember ALL or any of this absolutely special ginormous 1993 edition "Yo, do you remember" :!:

THE DEBUTS!!!

The Giant Gonzales: When I first heard of Giant Gonzales it was Vinnie Mac talking about him on the aftermath Monday Night Raw of the 93 Royal Rumble and Me & My Family didn't know whom he was till they showed clips of him a bit later on the program and since we didn't see the event on PPV till it was out on VHS which is the way it was then. I was really astounded that it was actually El Gigante from WCW :o

He was wearing a bodysuit to intimidate as a inspiration of being a Neanderthal, Sasquatch, a Bigfoot or a Yeren. I thought it was awesome at the time and really I still do. He attacked The Undertaker as a unannounced surprise though Dr. Harvey Whippleman promised that he was going to "drop a bomb" on the dead man for defeating "The Ugandan Giant" Kamala at the WWF Survivor Series 92 in a first ever Castet Match and in the words of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan when he debuted...it looks like he's 20, 30 feet tall..."That's THE BOMB" :!:

He would be in big squash matches week after week fighting 2 to 3 opponents at a time in handicap matches and easily beating the likes Jim Powers, Virgil & "El Matador" Tito Santana though The Native American Tatanka didn't lose his undefeated streak to him in a King of the Ring Qualifying Match due to disqualification so his status was safe until he met "The Powerhouse from Helsinki" Ludvig Borga :o

Unfortunately Giant Gonzales was stuck in his feud with The Phenom and never had any big success. He never did have a dream match against the returning Hulk Hogan which has always been a very bittersweet moment of Mine for the entire year however there was a bit of them together as you will see later on :) There was so much going during this time with Lex Luger and others but the opportunities were never fulfilled :roll:
In the WWF Magazine I entered a contest to have lunch with him but sadly it didn't happen :roll: I hope whomever won that contest appreciated those moments he or she had with him and still appreciates that at this very moment. He was usually on ads for the magazine as well. I loved his new suit when he first showed it off during a "King's Court" segment! He moved very good for his size but keep in mind he was ailing and was different since his WCW days and IMO he was extremely impressive. I just loved his personality and more. At being 12 YOA, I was so euphoric over him, after that it had been a very rare occurrence that I had that much excitement about some other wrestler :)

Lex Luger: Originally debuted via satellite at WM 8 and then the WBF in 1992 as you seen in My great WBF showcase. He was Bobby Heenan's "Narcissist" as he officially debuted at the 1993 Royal Rumble to feud with Mr. Perfect. This great gimmick wouldn't last long because after Hulkamania was stopped by Yokozuna, he later entered the USS Intrepid to the special Stars and Stripes Body Slam Challenge and Luger picked him up and did it thus becoming "The All American, an American Original :!: He also was the captain of the Lex Express riding all over the USA "leading" his Call to Action Campaign which was huge :batsmile:

NOTE: Amazing he became Mr. Perfect 2.0 or "beyond perfect" as Bobby Heenan said & the company's next Hulk Hogan in mere months in the same year :o

So since the WBF was no more unfortunately, Lex Luger became a full-fledged wrestler as he was in the WCW. After Heenan's split with Mr. Perfect, he would somehow get revenge, it was a trend by managers at the time hence Wippleman's bomb to The Undertaker which was none other than The Giant Gonzalez :!: So "The Brain unveiled his "Narcissist" which was none other than WCW's "Total Package" Lex Luger! I was quite surprised yet I should have known since he was such a force in the WBF just mere months beforehand. It was an incredible moment and he would remain with this nice gimmick that was really an upgrade of Mr. Perfect to feud with him for the next few months up until Wrestlemania IX. He was a great heel and never lost by pinfall. It was a shame that he never fought "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan during this tenure (the dream match would finally happen on the second episode ever of WCW Monday Nitro in 1995) as it would have been a great one. He did have matches with "Macho Man" Randy Savage but it was kinda bittersweet like Hogan & Flair in 91 in the WWF (but Luger would join them & would fight Macho & Hogan many times throughout the years of the 90s). He would eventually turn major babyface, be all-American at the Stars and Stripes Bodyslam Challenge and feud with Yokozuna later on. This unveiling at the 93 Royal Rumble IMO was one of the biggest ever despite his presence nearly a year prior at Wrestlemani 8 and while I really liked his American gimmick/ persona, I would have liked to see how much further he would of have as the "Narcissist" :!:

Before I get to more debuts, here's a quote from Myself from My special Groundhog Day showcase that made for the Holiday this year. You can check out the entire presentation plus so much more in My all crucial Odds & Ends at this link ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/general-toy-discussions/my-odds-ends-insane-keychain-t1176-80.html

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Image

So moving forward to about a year or so later in very early January 1993 I'm with My Mom & Jerry. When he'd come to the house he was greeted by Our sweet female Chihuahua SiSi that I spoke of previously, he loved her. He was a wrestling fan, I don't think he had a passion for it like Me as he was just a casual fan and knew who was who which was good to know for a 12 year old Brandon :batwink: During one of these trips as usual I was in the back seat of his Mercury Thunderbird (My Mom had a Ford Cougar that she just got months prior) which was cool they had this in common. I was talking to him about the WWF Royal Rumble 93 (one of the best ones ever!) and I was asking him who does he think that Bobby "The Brain" Heenan is going to reveal as "The Narcissist. I really don't recall his answer but I believe he said he doesn't know and all that. Only a short time later I would know it would be WCW's "The Total Package" Lex Luger :o I really should have known because of his unexpected Wrestlemania 8 appearance via live satellite and how he was supposed to be the face of the WBF. After his motorcycle accident and the unfortunate demise of WBF there was a major change and boy was it exciting :batsmile:

Johnny Polo (ECW'S Raven about a year later) arrives and manages a new heel monster called Adam Bomb. The Kid would be a new enhancement talent that would be renamed as The 1-2-3- Kid after having one of the biggest upsets ever by defeating "The Bad Guy" Razor Ramon on a very memorable episode of Monday Night Raw and then he would actually be a young mid carder :!: Polo & Bomb were actually Johnny Flamingo & The Nightstalker in WCW and they got The Kid from "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert's GWF :o Polo would wrestle in matches but only in a handful or less. When Bomb debuted I was just thrilled about him!

He was Scotty Flamingo in the WCW & USWA as seen in My special prolog.

The Night Stalker was in the WCW & SMW also seen in My special prolog. He would later be known after his Adam Bomb days Wrath & Brian Clarke.

Coincidentally, Adam Bomb would drop Johnny Polo be managed by Dr. Harvey Whippleman. Its a coincidence because a round a year earlier when The Undertaker defeated "The Ugandan Giant" Kamala and he said that he was going to drop "a bomb" on The Phenom. That "bomb" was The Giant Gonzales and NOT Adam Bomb because he wouldn't arrive till months later :? He has really great & had dark music with a really bleak appearing Titan Tron of nuclear bombs. I really liked Adam Bomb's green "atomic" eyes and his rageful facial expressions. His demeanor was awesome. He would still have the persona and emotion that many big men had in the 80s & 90s :!: He was quite athletic for a big man and really was one of the first of'em besides the likes of Sid & The Undertaker whom showed amazing agility for near seven footers. I loved his quotes of that he is the Creation of Devastation & and he's gonna take you to Ground Zero :batsmile:

Now The Kid as seen in My GWF special, his debut in wresting was his tenure as the Lightning Kid. I thought it was funny how he'd get beat up every match through all of these different names such as Kamikaze Kid & Cannonball Kid...

One of the early Monday Night Raws he would face fellow Kliq member Razor Ramon (it was unknown to the public till 95 and defeat him with a high flying maneuver which even to this very moment is regarded as one of the biggest upset victories ever in the history pro wrestling :!: This really looked good on a once top contender for the World Championship at the 93 Royal Rumble against Bret "The Hitman" Hart and more importantly to face Bret once more for redeem himself in the first ever King of the Ring, the crowd was really downing "The Bad Guy which his "Machismo" was lowered quite a bit that very fine night :batshock:

Well Dunn & The Smoking Gunns: These two new teams were a treat for Me as I had only saw one of them in the wrestling mags like PWI. Timothy Well & Steven Dunn were the Southern Rockers from the USWA as you saw in the My special prolog which was cool to see them on TV. I thought they were a really good team that never went anywhere. Now I never had seen Billy & Bart before, I thought they were neat and a new kind of a cowboy gimmick compared to guys like The Blackjacks, Bob Orton, Outlaw Ron Bass & Barry Windham. I loved how they did their six-shooters/revolvers in the ring actually shooting blanks. They were over with the crowd within an instant and would remain fan favorites for a long time to come!

Unfortunately Well Dunn never had any hype of any kind, they were one of those teams that just appeared out of nowhere and they didn't even have theme music and this was during the time when it was the standard for that most competitors would have their own music by extremely underrated composer Jim Johnston. However it was the complete opposite for The Smoking Gunns as they had a a really cool on location in the desert of Texas vignette.

The Smoking Gunns quickly became a fan favorite by the kids but really the women were the ones that really like them. Babes' fave of the duo was Billy which even to this day I question why :? He didn't work out as much as Bart nor did he have that hero look yet he was the one always got the attention. If these women from back then still watch him today in AEW and see how huge his physique is and young he still looks at 59, I wonder what they think :? :batconfused: :smgasp: :wwshock:

These "Texans" would face Well Dunn many times for months testing each other first before they went ahead to face jobbers and higher level teams of this growing tag team division. Their first confrontation would be a no contest...

but ultimately the Gunns would be the victors of most their matches through their off & on rivalry for the next year or so taking flight that they were the next up and comers while Well Dunn was stuck in limbo for a couple more years :roll:

Friar Ferguson became Bastion Booger! I knew who he was right away, he was Norman the Lunatic from WCW! He was Friar only for a few weeks which he was actually loved by a confused crowd. He then would be repacked as the Booger Man himself! I loved his gimmick. I mean a 400 pound slob that just was so funny to watch I mean he would eat pizza & chicken before, during and after his match whether he'd win or lose. He'd only be around for a year or so which was a shame because I enjoyed watching him every week!

Her he is as Mahkan Sing & Norman the Lunatic :!:

The Quebecers & Ludvig Borga! Oh these guys were My crown & jewel of the whole year! Pierre was new to Me but Jacques I knew immediately as he was one half The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers and was also The Mountie! Ludvig was such a new type of wrestler for Me back then, I loved his look, his expressions, accent, uncanny power and seemed unbeatable and right away went for Lex Luger! Unlike Sgt. Slaughter's shocking heel turn in 1990, this anti-American was actually European! Before all of the unhuman Lesnar stuff there was Borga and he is one of My all-time favorite wrestlers!

Here's a look at The Quebecers as you see Jacques Rougeau as The Mountie and Pierre in 1995 as repackaged Jean-Pierre LaFitte which was actually the same character which I loved how clever that was done and would reunite with Jacques in WCW in 96. Today he is known as the monster PCO :o

In early 1993, Ludvig Borga was under his real name Tony Halme in WCW's Japan Super Show facing off against Ron Simmons in a good but losing effort match. He was a boxer & MMA fighter before his stint in the WWF.

He would be unlike any athlete ever seen in the WWF previously :!: He predated Cesaro's Very European Uppercut and was bigger than Brock Lesnar :!:

As noted earlier, I've always loved his expressions, I've only met one person online ever that ever talked about wrestler's expressions and that was close to a decade ago on the Ringside Collectibles' WrestleFigs Board that I wasn't crazy about...I don't recall his name but he really liked Roman Reigns' expressions and I'm like that is good that you noticed and I thought this then. Today's plebeian society really lack in noticing and liking things :roll: So before The Rock made his "People's EYEBROW a part of his persona, Ludvig also did this which was one of the reasons that caught My attention about him. Amazing how just several years later something like this suddenly caught on and became "a thing" that everybody would notice it because Dwayne is a showoff and Borga isn't yet it's one of the countless things that was already done before hand in wrestling :roll:

The Finnish Ludvig would have a few "great & truthful" vignettes of how America is crumbling...

He was one of the most ideal types of villain you could have...he was as legit as they come. He had such high octane bouts and fun interviews with Vince McMahon & Jerry "The King" Lawler...

He would truly be the anti-American throughout his matches and joining other foreigners of the Federation.

He is the one responsible for ending Tatanka's undefeated streak that lasted over a year thanks to Master Fuji distracting referee "Dangerous" Danny Davis allowing him to hit Tatanka with a chair and pinning him with only one finger :o

Thus letting his new friend, World Wrestling Federation Champion Yokozuna destroying him while The Qubecers is stopping Lex Luger to get to his rescue in this truly memorable event which is one of My favorites of ever of all-time :)

After he and The Foreign Fanatics ultimately lost to Lex Luger & The All-Americans at the WWF Survivor Series 93, his feud with Tatanka continued at they were supposed to collide at the WWF Royal Rumble 94 but he got injured so Tatanka instead fought Bam Bam Bigleow kinda continuing their previous rivalry. After he got well Borga was going to fight Earthquake at Wrestlemania X but that didn't happen as they thought he was too injury prone and was released. It's such a shame about this :roll: He would eventually be in movies such as Die Hard 3 & The Fist of the North Star which I already covered in the Movie Trailers Topic. Still after all of this, Ludvig Borga still remains one of My big all-times favorites :)

Ludvig was part Vinnie's Mac's yearning of uncanny Monsters. He tried with WBF's South African Gary Strydom but since the plebeians didn't like WBF causing it to fold, that big guy went away :roll: He then came across Ludvig Borga which you now know as I have just explained above. Then in the heyday of the Attitude Era he got Brakkus whom was similar like both as he was a bodybuilder and he was German. He was a monster at first but he too got injured and was forced to retire. McMannequin was searching again. He found Brock Lesnar who had that European look but was American and was a monster, unlike any he had seen before and then he became "The Next Big Thing" in the last days of the Attitude Era into the beginning of the Ruthless Aggression Era and the rest is history as Vince found his monster and he's been happy about it ever since :!:

JJ Jeff Jarrett: Oh I absolutely loved that he was coming to the WWF. He was from Jerry "The King" Lawler's USWA whom also was co-owned by his own father Jerry Jarrett and one of the only ways you could see him was in classic wrestling magazines such as [/b]Pro Wrestling Illustrated[/b] but occasionally they would be on TV in the early 90s but they never really had a schedule in TV Guide or your local cable guide. He looked a bit different then with just regular wrestling attire and nothing flashy. Thanks to the WWF's partnership with the USWA for years to come, during the Fall of 93 on WWF programming there would be vignettes week after week hyping him up. I loved how he took himself to the next level and had a country singer gimmick. I loved his promos how he'd say ain't I great and how he'd spell out his name "That's J-E-Double-F, J-A-Double-R, E-Double-T!", it was just funny. On more than one occasion, the USWA's Women's Champion (possibly the greatest ever!) Jacqueline Moore was featured in his promo videos and more and was going to be JJ's manager under the name Wynonna but due to injury the role was scrapped. It would have been a tremendous duo for sure. She would briefly make it to the WCW in 97 as one of te last member's of The Dungeon of Doom but quickly jumped ship back to the WWF as Jackie that we all know today. If there ever was a black babe wrestler that was a total package, it would be her :batsmile: I just digged Jeff's videos of him saying all of the stuff he's gotta talk about and that your gonna be hearin' the name Jeff Jarrett for a long while to come. I loved how he said about how the Country Music Business is corrupt with corrupted politics. I really liked when he said about George Jones & Willie Nelson and about the newbie Billy Ray Cyrus...Jarrett is so talented. These were some of the most memorable vignettes in Federation history of a new wrestling talent coming to the roster IMO. In fact there really was very few that was better or entertaining than these. Because these, the way he was and his really sweet country entrance theme, I began to really like the outdoors and country stuff as a whole :o So when Jarrett finally made his debut as it took him a while to just before the year ended in December, I was pretty thrilled about him and he would become one of My most favorite wrestlers of all-time even to this very moment as I speak :!:

Diesel: During the early Summer, HBK Shawn Michaels suddenly had a new bodyguard after he and Luna Vachon had split off camera but who was he :!: Who was this seven foot monster of a man. He looked liked Vinnie Vegas from WCW... that's because it WAS VINNIE VEGAS from the rival competition WCW :o

I knew exactly WHO HE WAS the second I first saw him! I found it astounding that he was Vinnie Vegas from WCW just months prior :o

Like Razor Ramon's gimmick was nothing but an upgraded Diamond Studd in [/b]92[/b], Vegas' gimmick was nothing more than an upgrade during this time but he would evolve into much more as we progressed thru the next couple of years not only in physical dominance but also personalty & character. For many months he would be his real life's friend heavy and finally wrestle at in the Fall on WWF Superstars and also a Monday Night Raw in a special Intercontinental Championship Battle Royal and making his first wrestling PPV appearance at the 1993 WWF Survivor Series. He wouldn't become a true new force till the following 1994 WWF Royal Rumble however. I really liked the early days with him & HBK when he'd be in Big Daddy Cool's corner. The thing is at first he wouldn't used the power bomb as his finishing maneuver but instead the big right hand :shock: I just loved him, his personality, expressions,his ability and everything as he became one of My favorites ever :!:

M.o.M & Mr. Hughes: I loved these guys. I had no idea who Men on a Mission was at the time for I liked them a lot, I digged their squashing maneuvers on their opponents. Over time when Mable became King in 95 he was one of My faves of all-time. Oh but I knew Mr. Hughes, he was Lex Luger & Harley Race's bodyguard in WCW a while back before his tenure here :shock: He went for the Undertaker in one of his only major feuds within the Federation and was managed by Harvey Whippleman and be occasional tag team partners with Giant Gonzales :!:

The Rock'n' Roll Express & The Heavenly Bodies: Now I was familiar with both of them especially The Express: Robert Gibson & Ricky Morton. I had seen them in WCW and on My old Wrestling Tapes VHS Tapes that I showcased in grand fashion in My Vintage Wrestling Collection that is truly a must see from many years prior.

I had only seen The Bodies only in wrestling mags then however but that was they only way to know & keep up with Smoky Mountain Wrestling/SMW. However the original Heavenly Bodies was with "The Dr. of Desire" Tom Pritchard and "Sweet" Stan Lane. Yes, the same Stan Lane from the original Midnight Express that also had tremendous feuds with The Rock'n' Roll Express in the glory days of the NWA among other wresting territories of the great 80s. The new team would be managed by Jim Cornette and would get tag team gold :!:

They would briefly be seen earlier in 1993 in WCW teaming with The Hollywood Blonds: "Stunning" Steve Austin & "Flyin" Brian Pillman with "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton against a dynamic team comprised of The R&R Express, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat & Shane Douglas.

Then Lane was replaced after he had retired from the sport and would later on in 93 be an interviewer and color commentator in the WWF. Stan was replaced by "The Gigolo" Jimmy Del Ray whom was funny with his dance but at the same time was truly an equal and arguably was way more of a proper team member with his unbelievable agility only seen in other wrestling territories for the time being.

The Heavenly Bodies made a very good debut at SummerSlam 93 against the Steiner Brothers however they didn't win the titles. There was a brief hiatus from August to October in their appearances as they were still going strong in SMW. They then "re-debuted" on Monday Night Raw which they were very impressive.

However, the following Monday their arch-rivals from SMW The Rock'N' Roll Express arrived in their actual debut and they also were quite astounding.

The Hart Family vs. The Knights: Now this match at the 1993 WWF Survivor Series featured many debuts including some more members of the Hart Klan which was Ross & Wayne Hart who was previously seen at the WWF SummerSlam 93 but they never wrestled in the Federation however Bruce & Keith Hart had already made their first appearance at the WWF SummerSlam 93 and made their first in-ring appearances and the WWF Survivor Series 93.

NOTE: The Hart Family was so prominent in the 80s & 90s in the WWF because McMahon had a partnership then took over Stu Hart's Stampede Wrestling in the 80s but then was bought back.

Jerry "The King" Lawler had been a major feud with Bret "Hitman" Hart since the 93 WWF King of the Ring and he would also pick on the family especially his parents thru then and WWF SummerSlam 93 bringing about one of the longest and biggest rivalries ever in the WWF which would actually still be on & off thru 1995 :o

One of the biggest bittersweet moments of the year was that Jerry Lawler had a run-in with the law...it was all over the news and especially made headlines in Pro Wrestling Illustrated that he was indicted on rape & sodomy charges against a 13 year old girl. This was hushed about on WWF programming as your not really supposed to know what goes on in real life or at least outside of the WWF unless they want you to. The case was closed as the report said that the girl said she made up the story and Lawler's charges were dropped. He would miss his big feud match and be replaced by Shawn Michaels continuing their rivalry that started at the last WWF Saturday Night's Main Event in 92not only in the match but on the commentator's table as well which Jim Cornette & Reo Rodgers would also do the job on numerous occasions as well but a while later around Wrestlemania time he would continue his shenanigans for years to come.

NOTE: I never truly believed this story. If you know the true ways of h0lliWerId & celebs then you'll know stories like this happen all the time that are full of bum-steer, swept under the rug and never is anything done about the children :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: Its a very deep w@bbit-h0l3 to know why they do this, its all over YT & Tic-Toc with exposure to know the truth :!:

So in Lawler's abstinence HBK Shawn Michaels substituted to be the team captain to lead his debuting Knights which was odd yet he had no place on the card so it seemed like this was just right :roll:

The identities of The Knights was long time WWF veterans Barry Horowitz, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine and the USWA's Jeff Gaylord. The WWF had a great working relationship with Wrestling organizations down south, these were such cool days and I miss these fun times of the 90s :!:

Sadly Jeff Gaylord passed away in March of 2023, I was kind of sad there :roll:

Luna Vachon & Alundra Blayze: Luna made her debut at WM IX as Shawn Michaels' female enforcer and to take care of his estranged valet girlfriend Sherri that he gave a rat's@$$ about. I had only seen her in wrestling mags and to finally see this pretty yet really weird babe was a treat to see for sure :) She is part of the legendary Vachon family. I was really euphoric about Alundra because I knew her from the AWA & WCW as she was one of My faves. Her character was really different and tame compared to her feisty rule breaking demeanor elsewhere such as when she was a part of the Dangerous Alliance. I loved how she looked as a youngster, her outfits looked really rad and she would eventually become the first ever WWF Women's Champion of the Federations's newly renewed Women's division and also become the first female face of the WWF New Generation :wwwink:

There was other women that was wrestling elsewhere that the WWF picked up for their newly revamped upcoming Women's Division. They made a tournament to crown a new women's champion. This is never talked about by even the most of biggest wrestling fans which is a such a shame what lack there is :roll: These women were Heidi Lee Morgan, Rusty Thomas, "Nasty" Angie Marino, Allison Royal and of course Alundra Blayze. The finals would be Heidi Lee but she would lose Alundra in the final match thus making the former Madusa the first new WWF's Women's Champion :!:

MVP: Suddenly in the special Intercontinental Battle Royal in October which was a part of one of the best Monday Night Raws of the show's entire run, that was for the vacated Intercontinental Title, there was a new guy there that was never seen before on WWF programming. McMahon said who is that and Heenan replied that's the MVP and then McMannequin said the Most Valued Player :!: I thought this was really cool that now we got a baseball player in the wrestling ring. I knew whom he was right away just by looking at him which I knew he was "The Brooklyn Brawler" Steve Lombardi who was there many years previously! When Kamala returned in 92, Lombardi also played his handler Kim Chee and would remain with the gimmick until their unforeseen feud was over later in 93. He would also play a part of being a temporary Doink the Clown. MVP would only have a handful of appearances within the year then he would slightly be repacked in 1994 when MLB had their unfortunate strike but what a time to bring him back...he would be in the crowd holding up a sign saying "I'm on strike. His name would be revealed as Abe Knuckleball Schwartz who was a true, 5-tool player. There was very brief vignettes for him usually at the batting cages for hitting practice. He'd talk about Barry Bonds & Ken Griffey jr. and how he's better than them. He wrestled off and on for a while after that as well. His character would really be developed much more by this time, he'd get mic time and one thing I loved about his wrestling arsenal is that he would use baseball moves including baseball slides and wind-up punches before they were a thing years later. His jersey number was 00 and he was clearly a New Yorker very similar like a Yankee. He was also very gifted because he was a pitcher and utility player as he could pitch greatly & hit far. He would be a tough opponent to beat and would be more than his alter-ego usual enhancement talent "The Brooklyn Brawler". One aspect that I have noticed about him over time like so many is that his face paint was actually like the original brooding Crow Sting that would appear in 1996 the year of change in WCW and he'd even used a inverted DDT that Crow Sting would use called the Scorpion Death Drop :o I always find it amusing and quite frustrating how things in wrestling and life in general are thought to be new or really cool when they are performed/happen...IMO it sucks when the trend is of something that'd been done a long time before it, it shows Me how people don't notice much nor care about the past :x Also, before today's WWE's MVP - Montel Vontavious Porter was even a thought in wrestling, Abe Knuckleball Schwartz the MVP was/is THE REAL & TRUE MVP IMO :!:

NOTE: Look for a very special entry of him in the 1994 "Yo, do you remember" installment :batsmile:

Thurman "Sparky" Plugg: Along with the return of "Captain". Lou Albano on the same episode of Monday Night Raw which a Christmas edition, a new wrestler would be headed to the Federation whom was a NASCAR driver. His vignettes were very cool and would be in the similar vein as Jeff Jarrett since it all "country". He would make his debut only weeks later in 1994 which he would be renamed as Bob "Spark Plug" Holly :!:

In SMW he was managed by Jim Cornette and known as ''Hollywood'' Bob Holly which predated "Hollywood" Hogan's gimmick for years yet you never heard any of this from people back then nor in recent times :o

The Toxic Turtles: If your talking about weird & wacky wrestling, well in 1993 the WWF went for the crazy & quite ballsy idea of actually going all out and have their "own versions" of live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :o The [b]TMNT was still popular despite the disastrous TMNT 3 Movie during the same year. The wrestlers were simply named Tommy and Terry instead famous renaissance painters. They dressed up in actual turtle costumes head to toe and were named The Toxic Turtles:. Keep in mind this is way, way before all of this "toxic" craze over the last several years on social media & gaming and before NXT 2.0's Toxic Attraction. This was during a time when words were used with logic & meaning when "toxic" actually was being used what it actually means like for Toxic Avenger (condescendingly Playmates had the TMNT & Toxic Crusaders licences and I crossed them over back many times back in the old fun days by the way) instead of all of these words that people has been twisting & deceivingly using over time like "sic" & "killing". Also keep in mind that this is 3 or 4 years before WCW took there own shot at comic/video game franchises such as their awesome yet bittersweet "Blood Runs Cold" storyline with Glacier, Mortis & Wrath as in inspiration of Mortal Kombat but the WWF was no stranger to Mortal Kombat in 93 - 96 because MK 1 - UMK3 was always advertised in the WWF Magazines and WWF TV programming :shock: The Toxic Turtles may have been such a silly gimmick but they were not slouches however as they used martial arts and luchadore moves that was usually only seen in mexico & Japan at the time. Of course the crowd was silent because of the unbelievable match they witnessed but also they weren't used to the high flying and acrobatic maneuvers much like the Survivors Series 93 with The Rock'n' Roll Express & The Heavenly Bodies where it was very athletic and extreme at times so since a lot people didn't have access to other wrestling and if you only watched the WWF and if you missed WCW & SMW then you missed a lot of great stuff because they already had that high flying style then down pat where the WWF was quite behind on it. Stuff like this would have gotten way over more if people would have given the others a try as well. I on the other hand loved it but I'm not like most people who bash something because they don't know what it is or what to think about or whatever, I am all about diversity on countless levels and this is just an example :!: The outfits they were wearing were pretty heavy and they won against their enhancement talent opponents. There was very little crowd reaction whatsoever with only some boos and some women & children wanting to tag them which I'll hand it to them :) You'd think since the TMNT was still popular there would have been at least a shock to the people's reactions that something like this was a reality but nope :roll: The Toxic Turtles's Tommy and Terry were played by longtime WWF jobbers Duane Gill & Barry Hardy of all wrestlers :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: They only had one match and it was one of WWE's recent "Unreleased" DVD and the match is also on YouTube as well. It's quite one of the most underrated wrestling gems of unknown & forgotten history indeed :!:

However, the Toxic Turtles wasn't the only time that Duane Gill & Barry Hardy were used in new gimmicks. In late 92 they were under masks & black attire from head to toe which their new team name was The Executioners/Executive Experience sporting newer masked man attire seen in Mexico among countries that was still new to the USA. They were quite unique compared to previous versions of Executioner teams like Big John Studd & Killer Kowalski. They're one of the first newer teams of the 92/93 timeline. Their ring names was Pain & Agony which I thought were excellent. They would split up after many years of being a team in the Federation and on the independent circuit but Gill would still don the new gig and simply be The Executioner yet pull off double duty as himself as well throughout the year of 93. Again, he was different than Buddy Rose's Executioner from the 80s & Terry Gordy's Executioner in 96. Gill actually looked impressive but still was nothing more than what is called a enhancement talent today but back then they were known jobbers/scrubs but Me & My Grandpa always called guys in the ring like that Wimps :!:

Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:21 am

The Returns!

"The Immortal" Hulk Hogan & Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake both returned in early 93 and formed the team the Mega Maniacs :o They both came back after about a year hiatus and their almost immediate feud was with Money Inc. which was "The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase & Irwin R. Schyster otherwise known as I.R.S. They bashed Beefcake's face in with their halliburton briefcase knowing his previous injured face in a freak parasailing accident in 1990. This made their manager "The Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart join Brutus and become a good guy now. This also forced "The Hulkster" to return and then "The Barber" got a new titanium mask that was great and it was kinda funny when Hogan hit him with his own halliburton briefcase to test it out :lol: The trio would be together for a long time to come :)

Rick "The Model" Martel: He would return in the Fall of 93 after a long hiatus. I was very thrilled about this because he is one of My all-time favorites. He would appear a bit differently, basically an upgraded mixture. He would have a good run but he never captured any gold yet again :roll: Here is a special look of his appearances from 1990 - 1993 :!:

"Superfly" Jimmy Snuka: He returned on Monday Night Raw and had only a handful of appearances via a small stint and would be gone before he really got started back up in the Federation. Around this time he'd be in ECW :o

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine: He returned as the Blue Knight at the WWF Survivor Series 93 as seen above. He leave this brief gimmick and like he was before as he would be announced to compete in the WWF Royal Rumble 94. After the event he would only have a handful of appearances if even that at House Shows.

"Captain". Lou Albano: In late 93 he would return for a special moment that actually turned out to become an actual "one last" managerial run :o He lost a lot of weight due to health issues and looked no longer like the beloved Mario form one of the best shows ever of years prior. Early on he be called Capt. Louis Albano by McMahon upon his comeback on the December 20th edition of Monday Night Raw. He would go on to be apart of The Headshrinkers that consists of Fatu, Samu, Sione & Afa in 1994 for about a year so which was a fun time :o

The Rosati Sisters Vivian, Christine & Diane returned to the Federation in 1993. This was the year when it was starting to be that heavyset women can be attractive and be just as good as slender ladies. They had their times in the WWF years prior as fans in the crowd which "Sensational" Sherri loved to heckle them. They also made it to WWF Prime Time Wrestling in around 1989 being with Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, Gorilla Monsoon & Lord Alfred Hayes. They got their attention going because they were actually close friends with Vince McMahon :o

So when WWF Monday Night Raw arrived and had Raw Card Ring Girls they were a perfect fit for a oh my gosh/funny moment. It was different then cause when men actually were interested in women (it was years ago but I still recall it yesterday when I saw guys calling Dana Brooke a fat pig and Sasha Banks a dog and I could go on) they wanted to see great looking thin babes, not large overweight ones but this was like I said really the start of this time. They were appeared on a handful of shows and they shined on some of them :)

Unfortunately there's only one sister of the trio left as Vivian passed away in 2018, only Diane remains :roll: Here's some recent pics of them with wrestling stars such as "Road Warrior" Animal, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, Mick Foley & Hulk Hogan with Wrestling & Star Wars Action Figures in the background :)

Managers, Ring Announcers, Commentators, Personnel & Others:

Jim Ross: Yes, the legendary JR that we all now from today's AEW actually left the WCW in late 92/early 93 and made it to the Federation but unlike Tony Schiavone's extremely short stint there in [b[1990[/b], Ross would stay there well over two decades :o He made his debut at Wrestlemania IX at Caesar's Palace where he along with many of the WWF personal would wear togas to fit the event's ancient Roman culture gimmick. This is actually one thing you never hear about is when JR made his first appearance. I remember when I first saw him there and Me & My Family was like wow, that's Jim Ross from WCW :o I mean We were kinda surprised :shock: To think he was there when the WWF had such talent on the mic like "Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, "Mean" Gene Okerlund, Gorilla Monsoon, Todd Pettengill and not to mention "Macho Man" Randy Savage was also a commentator as well. I mean it was really a classic stacked, all-star commentator & interviewer roster in 1993 that was really, really talented and there's never been one like it since :batsmile:

Jim Cornette & his Tennis Racket: I was kinda thrilled when I first saw him make his debut in the WWF because I liked him in the NWA/WCW a long while before not to mention he was always in the wrestling magazines. Right away he was the spokesperson for the WWF Champion Yokozuna which IMO made him even more of a heel monster. With Cornette's tremendous mic skills and unmatched talent, he always got My attention. I loved how he brought the attraction of SMW's action to the WWF in the later part of 93 a s you saw his great promotion in My special Prolog. IMO it was extremely memorable and one of the most crucial experiences to be done in the Federation :batsmile:

Raymond Rougeau & Stan Lane: Ray had disappeared from the WWF for a few years as a wrestler as he retired but later on would become an interviewer in early 91 but as the departure of Sean Mooney he would be used more frequently. After the original Heavenly Bodies had made their stint in WCW earlier in the year, "Sweet" Stan Lane retired and headed to the WWF and became a interviewer as well as a color commentator that was really good but really didn't get the time & credit he should have. He would leave in 95 but Ray would be a producer for Canada and even made a comeback at a houseshow and stay till the early 2000s.

A lot of people don't pay attention or even care about the WWF's personnel or wrestling personnel in general regardless of of what Federation unless there was major attention or if their a big name but that isn't the way it is for Me, it never was and never will be. You don't have to be a well known person to "get" My attention. Tony Chimel was originally a ring assistant and an everyman in 1991 and actually became a substitute for "The Fink" Howard Finkle on the road among other times before he would become the big ring announcer we would know him to be years later. Since around 1988, Sean Mooney was seen on WWF programming on a regular basis until 1993. He made it to the Countdown of Wrestlemania IX and was on the very first episodes of Monday Night Raw. He left after his contract ended and became TV Anchors from New Jersey & Boston. He was one of the reasons IMO of why the WWF was so good to watch. Todd Pettengill replaced him despite the two still being in the Federation at the same time for a few short months. Michael "Mike" McGuik decided to also leave the Federation in [/b]1993[/b] over a complicated situation. She had been there since around 1987 and was one of the most underrated personalities and voices ever in wrestling. She was a talented beautiful blond ring announcer from a wrestling family that would be a temporary commentator as well. She would always wear flamboyant tuxedos and be the attraction of male wrestlers especially "Ravishing" Rick Rude and she would also be a part of very small & brief angles as well particularity with Big Bully Busick & Harvey Whippleman. Before Monday Night Raw, she was on most shows like Prime Time Wrestling, Superstars, Wrestling Challenge & All American Wrestling. If there was anybody to take the place of "The Fink" IMO it should have been Mike McGuirk :!: However, the WWF got another ring announcer named Bill Dunn. He would stay with them for about a year, perhaps a little longer and he would provide some good skills on the mic on most of [WWFb][/b] programming and he too was an underrated voice of the WWF. NOTE how the how crowd is in the background of Bill Dunn wearing Burger King Crowns because of them mocking Jerry "The King" lawler, them were sure really cool fun days :batsmile:

Todd Pettengill: So when the WWF's new show WWF Mania would first air in January, 1993, it just wasn't a new program but it also had a new host too named Todd Pettengill. Todd was pretty cool, he won Me over right away. Since the New Generation era was just starting to get underway and the classic feeling of seeing & hearing Sean Mooney was coming to a close, Todd kinda had that classic feeling yet a new kind of joy about him. He was exciting, a bit funny and entertaining. I never missed his show WWF Mania. He would leave the WWF come the early days of the Attitude Era because these times just wouldn't allow somebody as cool & calm as him as the fun classic times of the past was over. Noobs like Michael Cole seemed like they were the ones to stay and would be shoved in our face for decades that really lacked the fun that Pettengill had :roll: Like Mooney, he would go on his own in other genres but in the last few years would make some cameos for "the now {PG era" during NXT In Your Housebut out of the two I was more satisfied with Pettengill because of NXT In Your House which "The Toddster" was known to be a big part of the great WWF PPV In Your House series in 95 - 96 and he was always so fun especially during a PPV report :!:

As Mean Gene Okerlund was heading to WCW, WWF needed somebody else to do the interviews and reports and needed to get the replacement VERY quickly. They turned to infomercial & home improvement talent Joe Fowler! He was very good and was not a rookie at wrestling and even was paired with Bobby "The Brain" Hennan on occasions. He was only in the Federation a number months however as he went back to informercials so because of his release, "The Toddster" replaced him in event reports. Amazing how Todd Pettengill filled in for Mooney & Mean Gene and now Fowler who were all getting replaced to begin with :o

Boni Blackstone: Just around the departure of Mike McGuirk, the WWF got Georgia wrestling ring announcer Boni Blackstone who also worked with GWF & WCW. She shined well in the former as seen in My special prolog. Like McGuirk, she really didn't get the recognition that she should have. She was very good at interviewing knowing the great sport of professional wrestling and she even good at commentating and radio producing as well. This little petite, cute & quite pretty country girl had very good expressions. She only had a handful of Interviews unfortunately and slowly disappeared from the wrestling scene. In her interview with Johnny Polo & Adam Bomb, I just loved the way she opened up her eyes when she said Adam BOMB :batsmile:

In one of her best interviews was with the late great Bam Bam Bigelow. In this segment there was a bit of a change for "The Beast from the East", a side that we never seen from him before which he explained that every man has a heart and Boni doesn't really know where he's going with this...

until he reveals that he has a "Main Squeeze" and it's the late great Luna Vachon of all women :shock:

After she was apparently ditched by Shawn Michaels (there was no real connection with them in the back or on screen, WM9 was just a place to make her debut) so Bigelow got her and really as different & awesome as he was, she was an ideal partner because she was quite strange yet very cool herself. This was the first time the crowd would see them together until she would leave sometime the next year and Bam Bam would join the Million Dollar Corporation. I for one thought they they were really good together.

One of her very last interviews, she had a somewhat of rough segment with Money Inc. when they were unsuccessful against the Steiner Brothers.

In her interview with the debuting Heavenly Bodies "The Dr. of Desire" Tom Pritchard & "The Gigolo" Jimmy Del Ray, Jim Cornette was giving hints about how she was about her lust for "The Gigolo" which it was a very quick adulteress moment and her expression was gold towards like "oh get real" :wwwink: In another interview with Jim Cornette along with Yokozuna & Mr. Fuji and then The Undertaker & Paul Bearer came down to challenge the champ Yokozuna...it was quite crowded there and she was dwarfed by all of them but gosh did she handle it well :!: Not too long after this interview Boni Blackstone was on her way out of the WWF. Too bad nobody talks about her anymore and it doesn't help that the WWE never mentions her at all either even furthering this generation away from the past like so many other things are trying to do to today's society so this generation and next knows little of the past :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: IMO she was one of the coolest and one of the most important precursors for women in wrestling today :batsmile:

The WWF has always traveled around the world hence the first part of the Federation's name so since they were expanding on TV and times were changing allowing more exposure to other countries, they decided to expand their broadcasting and formed a new Spanish Commentating Team consisting of actor Ed Trucco and newsman & wrestler Carlos Cabrera. In the later part of 1993. They were rarely seen and it seemed like every other episode of Monday Night Raw they would show them briefly and that was it. Once in a blue moon a wrestler would interact with them. Most viewers most likely didn't care about them if they didn't have a Latin and/or Spanish heritage and their critical ways but for Me I was always for more a cultural diversity setting because it would make things much more interesting and I'm always looking for that extra excitement. Trucco is Puerto Rican–Argentine descent while Carlos is Colombian. A while later WWC's Hugo Savinovich would be part of the team whom is a Ecuatorian-Puerto Rican. This was a clever move on the part of the Federation because he was a major personality in the World Wrestling Council as a commentator, interviewer among other things. Now like the WWF had partnerships with USWA, SMW & GWF seen above they also had and still have a relationship with them as I deeply expressed them recently in My WWE PPV/PLE Topic when they were in Puerto Rico and Savio Vega & Carlito Cool returned at WWE BackLash 2023 which I was quite excited about this whole event because of the reminiscent times of the WWC :batsmile: Cabrera & Savinovich would stay for a long time in the WWF/WWE, however just last year in 2022, Cabrera was released after a 30 year career however Trucco left in about a couple years after his debut and really was ultimately replaced by Hugo back then.

Remember Brother Love from the late 80s and whom briefly managed The Undertaker in 1990 :?:

He had disappeared for a few years however than man behind the gimmick Bruce Pritchard didn't leave the Federation as he was actually an official backstage and also was a somewhat cryptic personnel whom could be be seen near the commentators table if you look for him in 93 plus he was doing double duty in the GWF as seen in My prolog. In the last days of the year of 1993 he would debut a new character called Reo Rodgers. He was a cowyboy who spoke with an accent very much like "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. He was funny yet annoying at the same time and really at times he was far different than his Brother Love-alter ego. He would have his own talk show segment too called Reo's Roundup and would only have a few appearances but to Me he was always an obscure yet memorable part of the WWF.

Janus: This one was a mystery and even to this day it's still a mystery. Out of all the reveals of hidden identities known in pro wrestling over the decades, this one still alludes most. It was Janus which the name is not based on a female but rather of Ancient Roman religion and mythology, Janus is the god of duality. He/she/they was a guest writer in the WWF Magazine for about a year or so. They were really a major, two-sided verbal heel. I had always theorized that it was "The Brain" Bobby Heenan then he left the Federation late in the year and Janus is still writing in the publication. Then WWF Magazine's Editor-in-Chief Lou Gianfriddo was suddenly replaced in 1994 by the notorious Vince Russo who would become the magazine's Vic Venom and have his own column called The Bite. I had thought that he and Janus were actually one in the same hence Janus is the god of duality...DUALITY :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: It was never revealed. However, around the same time that Janus arrived there was another new guy in the publication called The Informer who would reveal who was coming & returning to the WWF along with other news-bits. I always loved this section as it was one of the only ways to actually get news like that since it would be a long while before formats like the physical Figure-Four Newsletter that I showcased in My Vintage Wrestling Collection Topic and of course the almighty World Wide Web would have very revealing wrestling news pages in the mid to late 90s. Like Janus, they were completely a mystery and still his/her/their identity remains unknown :o

Caesar & Cleopatra: As I've said before, Vinnie Mac had a an obsession that probably many people didn't put 2 + 2 together about, I ALWAYS think outside the box :!: His obsession was of Greek & Ancient Mythology. Think about it for sec...he has/had Titan Sports, TNT/Tuesday Night Titans, LJN's WWF Wrestling Superstars at the Coliseum, Coliseum Home Video, "Immortal" Hulk Hogan, Hercules Hernandez, Titan Tron, Titus O'Neil, Roman Reigns and of course Janus that you just saw & read about above. Do you see and get the connection :?: So having a special event with two presenters of Caesar & Cleopatra was an extremely clever idea for the Greek theme that he built up since he made the WWWF become the WWF/Titan Sports in the early/mid 80s and that WWF Wrestlemania 9 would take place at Caesar's Palace with a huge Greek setting even with the Commentators & Interviewers wearing Togas which as you saw above Jim Ross DEBUTED at that great WM ans he liked being in that :shock: I for one really liked this idea and this entire time :) While they were not wrestlers, Caesar & Cleopatra, were actually a big part of the WWF for a few months starting with the 1993 Royal Rumble. It was all to hype up the FIRST TRUE "Road to Wrestlemania because the winner of the Rumble would face the World Champion which the winner would be Yokozuna facing the champ Bret "Hitman" Hart and this was the first time when this would happen which would trend even to this very day so see how IMPORTANT 1993 was :?: I hope you realize this whomever is reading My great work here. Caesar & Cleopatra would present the event & winner because Wrestlemania 9 would take place at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA :!: I thought the two were pretty cool. I thought that Caesar had some talent and had a really good voice and Cleopatra was a beauty, in fact I had a small crush on her for a while, I loved her skin tone :o After WMIX they disappeared from the wrestling scene as their stint was apparently completed and unfortunately you never hear anything about them at all at any time from WWE, sure you may hear the likes of them from darn critics like WrestleCrap & OSW who like to make fun of great stuff like this who really have no clue how fun it was then because they have been conditioned so much by the web & TPTB that if they don't know it then they gotta have comedic ways of mocking and making fun of stuff that they really know nothing about and I really dislike that which this also goes for many people of anybody of this pathetic, androgynous era as well :x However for plebeians like Myself who actually saw this when it occurred and liked how cool this was and wouldn't have a second thought of saying anything bad of it because it was part of our childhood growing up during much better, simpler times :)

Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:26 am

THE EVENTS & TV PROGRAMMING 92 - 93!!!

NOTE: Expand ALL pics in new tab to see massive size :batwink:

So first of all there was a commercial that I always liked to see on TV and they played it for at least a couple of years which was the WWF Columbia House Special from it's heyday of 92-93 :!:

One of the biggest feuds was coming to be in late 92/very early 93 in which Nailz encountered The Undertaker :shock: After he put "The Ugandan Giant" Kamala in the casket and Nailz lost to The Big Boss Man in the Nightstick on a Pole Match at the WWF Survivor Series 92, what was next for them :?: Well this was next and it looked very promising to be quite the rivalry but it was really never completed due to complicated reasons.

It was complicated because it was Nailz in in outrage and attacking Vince McMahon and he was fired because of it. There is two reasons which I have always believed it is a combination of both of'em. 1. because of steroids and 2. because Nailz was being sexually assaulted by Vinnie Mac and Nailz didn't like it. Again i can believe it, I'm not surprised about this whatsoever. It's really a shame that anything happen because when I was a youngster and got the WWF Magazine, Jan 93 in the mail and Undertaker vs. Nailz was on the front cover I was quite excited as I have always loved how it looked being blue and them two huge men face to face and I could tell that this year of 1993 was going to be very fun :) Just such a darn shame that this never could have gone where it could have :roll:

WWF Mania: Before I get to this great & fun show I wanted to share this that was said was said on February 2nd, Groundhog Day, 2023 in PB's Toy Commercial Topic...I have quoted these ;)

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Oh man those Bonanza figures looked superb, I never knew about them, I would have loved those. I was never a big fan of the show however, I'd watch it with My Grandpa in the morning on TBS while he'd get ready to work at his bike shop and I was waiting for WCW Power Hour, like a spoiled brat I couldn't wait for Bonanza to be over so I could watch WCW. My Grandpa hardly ever got to finish the episode cause he'd have to go to work and he'd usually miss WWF Mania & WWF Superstars soon after but when he'd get home I'd tell him all about it. Those Bonanza figures brought that memory back cause back then Saturdays was really worth getting up for in the morning :)

packerbacker180 wrote:Yes, Saturdays were magical. I'm glad that brought back such a nice memory.

Yes, such a fun and memorable time back in these days :)

So along with Superstars of Wrestling, Wrestling Challenge, All-American Wrestling and not to mention WCW Power Hour & WCW Saturday Night & Main Event, it was an already jam packed weekend for wrestling but then WWF Mania arrived with a new co-host named Todd Pettengill. I had no clue who he was but I thought he was really good and IMO he would remain to be an enjoyable part of the WWF for a long while to come. The program would be set in the tapes room and he would show recaps and new footage from the aforementioned programs and sometimes have a special guest there as well. I always got up early to watch it along with the other wrestling shows, it was some of the coolest times that would last for a few more years, when the Attitude Era happen it all went away :roll: WWF Mania will always be one of My favorite shows of wrestling :)

Here is the first commercial :!: I was pretty excited about this as this looked like no WWF show I watched previously.

Here is a special look at the VERY FIRST episode. It had a really different intro that you could tell you were in for a lot of fun. Todd introduces himself and doesn't like his boots unless he had the carpet. He shows the situation of the "Clown" (whom wasn't named Doink yet) of how he's pranking the crowd and the wrestlers and how it escalated with Crush. He also introduces one of the guys that makes this show happen named George. The Repo Man is in action in an exclusive bout with "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan. Todd says happy belated 58th Birthday to Elvis Presley and that he believes he's alive :o He also introduces Slim and says he has a Elvis look going then showing that Yokozuna is in action next.

Mike McGuirk introduces Yokozuna with the lovely Geisha's waiting in the ring. Earthquake has a promo on the side as Yokozuna squashes his opponent. A Macho Man Slim Jim Commercial and a Undertaker & Paul Bearer promo ensues and then Pettengill get's emotion about the Headlock on Hunger Campaign via the Somalia Relief Fund. Intercontinental Champion Shawn Michales faces off against "Jumpin'" Jim Brunzel, Todd & George talking and then in a backstage Ray Rougeau is interviewing "The Rocket" Owen Hart then "The Bad Guy" Razor Ramon attacks him then has a promo and so does World Wrestling Federation Champion Bret "Hit Man" Hart. Then the Royal Rumble 93 Report is occurring that is sponsored by ICOPRO :!:

The WWF Royal Rumble 93 Report is with Mean Gene Okerlund and talking abut the match and it's entrants. The surprising one was Carlos Colon of the WWC-World Wrestling Council which this was pretty big. After that one of the first ever WWF Monday Night Raw Commercials airs then The Berserker goes nuts wanting to chop off Mr. Perfect's with his Sword :o

During that match "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair interferes continuing his feud with Curt Hennig. We then go to a WWF Update that immedtaly shows the great fun looking WWF Magazine with The Undertaker & Nailz on the front cover that I showed just a moment ago. This WWF Control Center is sponsored by ICOPRO and wishing everyone a happy, healthy New Year. Bobby "The Brain" Heenan talks about Mr. Perfect and how he's going to reveal his "Narcissist" that is beyond perfect :!: Mean Gene has to look up what the word means in the dictionary then Todd signs off dancing away as the first ever WWF Mania comes to a close.

The show would have exclusive matches not seen elsewhere on WWF programming. One of the most memorable ones is the bout with The Repo Man with new attire including a new mask. Sean Mooney & Lord Alfred Hayes were the commentators whom where the usual duo for many years for special events & extras such as this and Coliseum Video editions. Mooney asks Hayes about the "inside information he has and the rumor he has is that The Repo Man has issued a $10.000 UNMASKED CHALLENGE :o It was for anybody who could rip it off of him :o :batsmh:

One of the cool features of WWF Mania is that it would have guests on it visiting the studio for various reasons. My most favorite of the show's entire existence was the one when The Giant Gonzales was a very special guest. I was very euphoric when this happen. Todd looked so little next to him. He wanted to show this "monstrous hominid" what he did to The Undertaker at the 93 Royal Rumble and he just laughed and was happy and said how he destroyed him. Todd then confirmed then he didn't and that he walked away. Gonzales was then "hungry" and Pettengill said to him that the commissary is over there and The Giant said "it better be!" :o

So Todd wanted to snoop in and see Gonzales eat and then got a 7Up and asked him nicely if he wanted a Soda and he said NO :!: After sitting down, he asked him again and then Giant Gonzales got really mad at him with savage rage and started running at him with remarkable speed chasing Todd down the hall :shock:

Thinking he escaped him, Pettengill is ready to close the show talking about Hillbilly Jim, then from behind The Giant Gonzales is after him once more and having to duck down the doorways chasing him again all the way to the garage area and the episode ended :o This has always been one of My most fondest moments of the entire year and in wrestling PERIOD :!: It was just so cool to watch as a 12 year old kid :)

However, their "little feud" wasn't over just yet as on the Wrestlemania 9 pre-show of WWF Mania, Vince McMahon, Macho Man & Jerry "The King" Lawler were live in Las Vegas at Caesar's Palace and with them in a very short interview segment was Harvey Whippleman & The Giant Gonzales. Gonzales said" Todd, I don't like you" and Todd says 8 feet isn't that tall and 3 zillion pounds isn't much and I could take ya :lol: Oh this was classic. It was so cool back then when there was morning wrestling shows on the day of a major PPV like this, it was just so darn good :batsmile:

On the final episode of the year of 1993 as it was on New Year's Eve, "The Toddster & Macho Savage here talking about Crush, I.R.S. taking Razor's Gold, the WWF Royal Rumble 94 and Bret Hart has a Holiday message plus more :!:

This WWF Mania Commercial was very much like a nWo style coincidentally because of the b&w screen and funky camera work (amazing, the ICOPRO logo looked like the nWo logo as I had noted before in the 92-WBF-ICOPRO special...it didn't happen till 3 years later in 96...weird...I wonder...huh :? "Macho Man" Randy Savage wants to takeover the show as the main host and get rid of Todd then "The Toddster" steps in and wants to thank Savage for all of the help...little did Pettengill know he was being betrayed by the once "Macho King" :roll:

Monday Night Raw: So after many, many years, WWF Prime Time Wrestling was canceled...

Monday Night Raw Commercials: Seeing these for the first time ever was something back then. I had no idea how the show was going to be...little did I know that there was nothing like it before and that it was going to be one of the funnest programs all week and every week for years. I was anticipating it. The first year/season was arguably the best as there was so many unexpected moments of all kinds :) They would present the slogan Uncut, Uncensored, Uncooked...

Then if that wasn't enough, Vince McMahon would bring back the Acclaim WWF Wrestlmania NES Slogan Bigger, Badder, Better :!: I don't now how many people noticed that but I thought that this was pretty cool. Also worth noting is that they showed The Ultimate Warrior, he was also advertised for the WWF Royal Rumble 93 but he was gone from the Federation by this time and wouldn't appear on Monday Night Raw until early 1996 :shock:

Thus it was time to get with current times and air a weekly LIVE wrestling show called WWF Monday Night Raw :o Instead of recaps and house show type matches, it was in front of a live crowd at the infamous Manhattan Center in New York City and it would become the home of the show till they decided to go on the road all over the country. ECW would eventually make the arena their home. It was awesome seeing this for the first time, I remember when they had previews of it on the preview channel hyping up the return of Hulk Hogan & Jake"The Snake" Roberts. Hogan would return but Jake would leave WCW and disappear till the 1996 Royal Rumble :!:

Monday Night Raw Intro: Like any Television show, the intro is such a fun and important part of it. This was one of the coolest openings of any show in regardless of genre and despite it would change over time, it would remain that way until times change and they'd get lazy, wouldn't be creative and choose songs from rock groups that's been heard dozens of times else where and hire rappers to do the intro songs which this is one of the most disappointing aspects of this pathetic modern era cause people rave about the songs when it reality they should because companies have lost so much creativity...this generation and others seriously need to go back to these times when so much was original :)

The classic slogan for the show was, it's uncut, uncooked and uncensored :!: The look of the arena was really cool and while it was rather small, the atmosphere was very epic. When they would move on to the road on bigger stages it was a shame that they would only visit the arena on special occasions. There was only a handful of times that wrestling felt like that and that was the first season of WCW Monday Nitro but after that wrestling has never had this feeling and especially how today's society and everything is, it doesn't allow it to happen and I miss that great feeling of a mood :roll:

The commentator team was a bit different than what I was used too over the years as Vinnie Mac himself along with "Macho Man" Randy Savage and a new guy named Rob Bartlett whom was an actor & comedian who to Me just came out of the blue. He had his short moments but his stint wouldn't last long as Bobby "The Brain" Heenan would replace him just after a very short time. He would stay with the Federation till late 93. He was kicked out of the arena during a segment by his long time Prime Time Wrestling co-host Gorilla Monsoon in order to write him off so he could go jump ship to WCW and be with the newly recruited "Mean" Gene Okerlund and to be a color commentator with Tony Schiavone that would be a great team for many years :!:

One thing that would be really odd for the show would be "Ring-card Girls". While I watched them in Boxing, it was different to see them in wrestling. They would hold up signs that would coincide with the program. A lot of them looked pretty nice. "The Model" Rick Martel would get his own cards and get a little additional attention :batwink:

There some great and really fun moments during its first year especially during the show's initial month. Here is a few of My favorite prominent selections :o

I loved it when the segments would go outside live with interviews and such. In fact this was some of the first times ever in the WWF that stuff would happen outside of the arena especially in the cold streets of New York City. Here is Doink the Clown pulling a squirt prank on Lord Alfred Hayes. Hayes would still be in the WWF for a couple more years before his retirement due to illness.

Repo Man attacks & steal Macho Man's hat :o

Ric Flair vs. Mr. Perfect Special: This was the last of the old days when Flair would be seen in the WWF when he fought Tito Santana & Jim Powers and confronted Mr. Perfect. At the WWF 92 Royal Rumble which they encountered each other and Heenan was concerned over this plus his match on Raw with good reason because the stipulation was loser leaves the WWF and Ric lost :shock:

So after his departure, Ric Flair returned to WCW in Feb & March 93, reunited with Tony Schiavone like the days before his WWF run. The hot Missy Hyatt played the role of an obsessed fan which was a classic moment :batshock: :wwwink: :smsmh:

16 Man Battle Royal, February 15th: The Giant Gonzales was the main attraction in this one. Before they had the special bout, they showed what a force he was on WWF Superstars. A fine looking Mike McGuirk introduces three opponents in the 3-on-1 handicap match as it was the late great Louie Spicolli, Scott Bazo & Dan Farren. She then introduces the Giant Gonzales as the commentators are in awe and the crowd is too as he looks very intimidating in his first match...

Oh, take a look at that boy's Hasbro Undertaker Action Figure. I was saying in My special prolog about how today's society has been influenced by the likes of many on the web like Wrestlecrap,WWR & OSW among others who really have no clue how it was then cause they didn't watch it so you know, that's the thing to do :roll: People were actually dumbfounded about this giant I mean look at the look of that redhead woman's face there, she did not know what to think and the wrestlers didn't either though they are most likely just acting their part :o

So after arguing about getting in the ring, Louie get's manhandled in the ring while he tow partners leave him. Look at the kids, they were quite excited and look of this blond woman's face, she too didn't know what to think. Then it cuts to that the 16 Man Battle Royal is next on Raw :!:

We then have a really cool WWF Hasbro Action Figure & Slim Jim Commercials both with Macho Man Randy Savage then the Battle Royal is in progress with Iron Mike Sharpe, High Energy "The Rocket" Owen Hart & Koko B. Ware and Damian Demento as well as Bob backlund, Skinner shows off then two different cultures collide as Kamala & The Berserker face off and "Terrific' Terry Taylor & "El Matador" Tito Santana fight.
Typhoon is trying to eliminate Kamala then Kim-Chee helps him to continue this feud then he get's eliminated and the two got at it all over the building including Reverend Slick which was so cool. This was one of the new cool aspects that 93 brought to the table of seeing wrestlers fight in the environment beyond the squared circle :batwink: See the spotlight and the Headlock on Hunger banner there :?: Next we have Shawn Michaels & Razor Ramon having a game plan against Tatanka & Santana which this was like the first time we saw Kliq members together as Diesel & The Kid has debuted in 93 yet & HHH wouldn't arrive till 95. HBK get's eliminated then Giant Gonzales arrives and throws out Tito & Tatanka and leaves but Ramon was on the outside a she wasn't eliminated and he won the special contest :!:

Friar Ferguson: In one of the first Raws to take to the road, there was a new wrestler by the name of Friar Ferguson that just appeared, there was no hype, no vignettes, nothing whatsoever. He just came out and wrestled. I knew who he was right away, he was Norman the Lunatic in WCW. He came out in full monk garb which he would even reveal the word he wrote it on a note pad he custom made around his neck :o Immediately the crowd reacted to him. While some didn't know what to think, the kids loved him, he was over with them right away. He would get his holy water bottle and drench himself with it. He was another big man, a 400 pounder that was common in the WWF throughout the 80s & 90s but has been severely lacking in this pathetic modern day. He fought Chris Duffy, an enhancement talent that was periodically showing up on WWF TV in the early 90s.

The match would progress pretty well yet kind of strange as Friar would taunt religiously and also dance which the crowd cheered for. He was a bit nasty by taking his robe and smothering his opponent's face and wiping him with it in the process :shock: He would avalanche him the corner like a big man should do. He was proving to be quite tough and a fighter. When Duffy was trying to get him to fall into a pinning situation, Ferguson was too heavy and just sat on his face with his robe completely out as you could imagine how uncomfortable this was for the fallen foe. While it wasn't intended to look like a sexual position, it was intended to look bad as Friar Ferguson was a "monk of surprises". So after he got the pinfall and the win, he used his religious hand gestures and used more holy water. He exited the ring, went to the crowd and the kids there wanted his holy water and he gave them it squirting it right in their mouths like they were on a desert desperately scourging for water because of uncontrollable thirst :o After satisfying his new found fans, he left the isle and Bam Bam Bigelow was coming up next which was yet a other big 400 pound monster :!:

It's time for "The Beast from the East" Bam Bam Bigelow to have his match. He's coming down the isle, eyeing the nice looking Raw Ring Card Girl (what single man in his right mind wouldn't :?: and he enters the ring with his usual roar. He beat's the heck out of jobber Phil Apollo. All of a sudden Friar Ferguson is coming to Phil's rescue as he is a "righteous man of light and truth". He gives Bam Bam the finger point warning...

Bigelow ain't havin' it and he is really mad. He turns his back on Friar and he dropkicks him from behind...he has unbelievable agility :o Bam Bam is even more angry but the officials are stopping him from taking action and getting his revenge. Friar celebrates briefly, giving himself holy water and performs his religious hand gesture while securing Phil's security. This would be the last time we'd ever see Friar Ferguson...EVER :o :roll: So the feud never continued, it didn't have an expectation at all due do the foolish and quite questionable decision of totally scraping the Friar Ferguson character all together :x

So a big change would ensue. Cryptically, Friar would become Bastion Booger, a 400 pound slob only a number of weeks later. I loved Booger as I thought he was funny in and out of the ring with his 100 pound hairy hump however, I really did like the Friar Ferguson character. It was immediately over with the fans especially the youngsters. I thought it was cancelled way too soon to even have a chance. I thought the gimmick worked and needed to be extended. WWE as the WWF, even in the classic days was quite dense at times. People think about stuff that was over in recent times like Rusev Day but the thing is, this was going on far longer than they thought. Friar Ferguson is a terrific example of stupidity by dropping something that was a success with the fans aka the consumer :!:

However, Bastion Booger was funny as he was eating the locker room area and being interviewed by Bobby "The Brain" Heenan" and he say's IT'S RAW :!:

Giant Gonzales would have only a handful of matches on Monday Night Raw but all of his appearances were quite memorable. One in particular is a squash match where is was extremely impressive running to the ring. This was amazing because before his days in the Federation he was quite fast and agile. Here he shows that he still can move as he KICKS his opponent with ease and throughout the short match he would point to himself like a certain hardcore ECW legend that we would all know a couple years later...Rob Van Dam :? Like others I have mentioned in the past that the plebeians don't notice about who was first or they think this "NEW" cool stuff was done just recently when it was done decades ago like Luke Harper's GATOR-ROLL was actually perfected by Skinner in 91 or Baron/Happy Corbin's speed under the ropes & around the ring post when The Big Boss Man did that for most of his good long career, there is actually a ton of first like this sometimes and it's just not is wrestling...it just irks Me when people don't realize it and it HAS TO BE DONE by somebody else or it HAS TO "TREND" in order to make it STICK :x So when you see RVD point to himself with his thumbs, he WASN'T first, The Giant Gonzales was one of'em or at least he was in pro wrestling :!:

Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:28 am

Raw was Live on 3-22-93 in Poughkeepsie New York and it was different. Gorilla Monsoon & Bobby "The Brain" Heenan reunited like on WWF Prime Time Wrestling of years past and Rob Bartlett was posing as Not Vince McMahon. They showed all of the high & deep shoveled away snow. Then a nice looking Raw Card Girl was in the ring while Typhoon comes to the ring and then squashes L.A. Gore. Then Heenan is ready to interview Giant Gonzales (I'm sure he was really in awe and thought My, how much taller he is compared to Andre!) and this promo was really impressive. Next they show a promo of "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan that he's going to be a part of WWF Wrestlemania IX as "The Hulkster" looks much slimmer :!: Next Papa Shango is defeated by Bob Backlund whom are both stuck in the middle.

Next is the WWF Wrestlemania IX Report which these were always so fun. Mean Gene Okerlund says how it's sponsored by ICOPRO and how Yokozuna is on a terror then talks about The Mega Manaiacs facing off against WWF Tag Team Champions Money Inc. and then "The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase & I.R.S. had their promo. Gene then talks about the The Undertaker & Giant Gonzales bout then a Paul Bearer & Undertaker promo occurs. He finishes it off talking about Mr. Perfect vs. "The Narssist" Lex Luger and says that the event is Live only on Pay Per View :!:

Next we're greeted by Not Vince McMahon and the good looking Raw Card Girl is in the ring as we get ready for the big Nasty Boys vs. The Headshrinkers tag team match. Next we see one of the Rosati Sisters as a Raw Ring Card Girl then The Nasty Boys come out, come to the ring and hug her cause ya know, the trio of Sisters are close with the WWF. The Headshrinkers come out doing their funny Samoan entrance.

The match begins and people are wanting Pity City :!: Then Knobs does a double-DDT...this was actually one of the first times a wrestler did maneuvers two men at the same time...in this modern age you see this done way too often which kinda get's a little tiresome plus this generation thinks it's a newer thing when wrestlers started doing this as far back as 1993 :shock: The extreme stuff was starting this year in 93 which was one of the significant aspects of this fun year of 1993. Notice how it started right off the bat when Mania aired and Giant Gonzales chased Todd to parking garage and in that 16 Man Battle Royal Kamala was chasing Kim Chee in the crowd...I mean this was cool and a new experience. The Nasties & Shrinkers were at the table with food and using those buckets & chairs and by them doing this this bout resulted in a double-countout...

Right when it was time to cut off the match we what is shown is a special charity segment show how the WWF cared and I believe they did but things changed about this in 96. We see Nasties, Boss Man, Tito, Bushwackers, Hogan, Hillbilly Jim, Macho Man all doing special stuff about sick kids. IMPORTANT NOTE: Back then when i firsts aw this I had no clue about being a kid like this then in 94 I got bad sick and it changed My life forever which I have expressed deeply in My Odds & Ends, Star Wars among other Topics so I know what it's like going thru hell more times than I count so I can relate to these poor children to the maximum. So now we're at the Regina Friendship Center where Native American Tatanka & The Nasty Boys are talking. Then elsewhere Macho Man & Bobby Heenan are doing charity. Classy Freddy Blassie is with a little black boy trying to make him feel good during Christmas. Macho Man & Bret Hart donate huge checks to the charity. Randy Savage meets with Jesse Jackson for the Headlock on Hunger Campaign. Linda McMahon meets the officials. Macho Man, Vince McMahon & Hulk Hogan are in an empty Manhattan Center with some kids. Sgt. Slaughter is with a special fellow and here's a black boy in a hospitable bed. He reminds Me a black boy that I befriended when I first got sick and really was trying to adjust to the very early stages of My new life...I still recall playing with him in the games room at Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital :)

Now this special segment at the climax had a very surprising one and may even shocking to some but it wasn't to Me and I will say why in a sec. At the closing end they revealed that Vince McMahon is THE President & CEO of Titan Sports/World Wrestling Federation :o When Me & My Grandparents saw this it was quite unexpected :shock: I was surprised that they revealed it because it wasn't known to the majority of the public body. I told My Grandparents about a long while before this because I learned I learned in the wrestling magazines such as PWI but they never saw anything of on TV till they saw this :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: See how it was and how important it was to check out those magazines I mean that was the web before the net was a thing and even more so see how imperative a year 1993 was :!: Don't forget in My special prolog I revealed that the Mr. McMahon character was actually born & created in the USWA...go back and see it again cause I'm posting such crucial material here :batwink: Vinnie Mac had to do something to soften up people for the Attitude Era someway whether they realized it or not and it was way different for people who didn't watch the programming at all so take a good gander at this picture at him smiling and the titled that he is under :batconfused: :wwsmh: :smsmh: After that they show the crowd and how excited they were then once more we see Bobby Heenan, Gorilla, Now Vince McMahon signing off to a good Raw seeing funny hardcore match with the The Nasty Boys & The Headshrinkers one last time with the WWF Monday Night Raw, Titan Sports, INC. 1993 Copyright :batwink:

So the next Raw on 3-22-93 was at the Manhatten Center live in New York, they a had a similar charity segment when this episode first begin which they have cut this out of the WWE Network & Peacock versions. So it starts with the Michael Landon Awards. Cindy Crawford who was like THE hot brunette babe of the 90s that was seen a lot including MTV when it was still actually good is seen with Hulk Hogan, Leslie Nielsen was there shaking hands with Macho Man Randy Savage which the next year in 94 the man that is Frank Drebin would close the case of The Undertaker :blbat: Other stuff would go on then "The Hulkster" would almost be out of character and then we see some of the same charity work from the previous show plus new stuff including "The Narcissist" Lex Luger whom wasn't the "The All-American - An American Original" yet I mean, this is before Wrestlemania 9 :!:

They even milk the Vince McMahon being CEO & President of Titan Sports & World Wrestling Federation :shock: After that Hogan praises Vinnie Mac and McMannequin says some good things but is he in one of his moods and meaning what he says :?: See, two weeks in a row they're conditioning the plebeians to let you know who McMahon IS for when he debuts as Mr. McMahon a few short years later cause like I said before, the Mr. McMahon character was already established in the USWA in this very imperative year of 1993 :batsmh: :wwshock: :smsmh: The actual program starts with the great fun intro, Vince, Macho Man & Rob Bartlett talking about that among other subjects.

The tag match happens between The Bushwackers vs. Damian Demento & The Repo Man. Repo debuts a new jacket and Demento is as demented as ever. This bout is one of their last appearances ever and I find it strange that they were a team here I mean they have nothing in common other than their mid/lower card heels. The Bushwackers are absolute HUGE, HUGE fan favorites here as they walk in the crowd licking them and being licked their-selves which you will never see anything like this in this pathetic modern era. They get it on with one of the Rosati Sisters whom is of course a Raw Ring Card Girl. The match begins and it is really fun. The heel team is actually pretty good. When it was all said and done The Bushwackers win and even lick the referee Bill Alfonzo and celebrates with the WWF fans :o

So the nice looking Raw Ring Card Girl is in the ring dressed like a law enforcement officer as the next match is a very interesting one as it's Doink the Clown vs. "The Ugandan Giant" Kamala" :o Doink is seen in the picture with a head-full of hair for the first time and sure enough he he comes appearing like that. He has a present with him and the kids want it but it's NOT for them :!: His expressions change as he looks at the camera which I love it when he does this :batwink: He's introduced then Rev. Slick & Kamala are introduced and then it is revealed that the present that the clown brought to the ring is for the Uganda Warrior and he's very surprised as he hasn't had much of anything of the sort in his life :roll:

But wait, Doink isn't letting him have it right now and put's it in the corner. Kamala doesn't like being teased then he attempts to take him down and does but the prankster is overpowered and it avalanched in the corner then the bout takes short commercial break when the match continues Doink is head chopped and escapes the ring. He get's the present corner and gives it to the huge African native. He opens it it and Doink is back in the ring and laughing but why is that :?

He's laughing because there was nothing in the box and Kamala is really sad and mad at the same time and it after the twisted joker. He goes under the ring and Kamala follows him and it's like how can he fit under there :?: the bad jester comes out and get's a chair and wacks Kamala and ref Mike Chioda is trying to stop him then Kamala ambushes him and takes the chair away from him. Doink the Clown runs away and "The Ugandan Giant" Kamala along with Reverend Slick chases him to the back stage area thus making the result of this contest a double-countout :batsmh: :wwlol: :smsmh:

The aftermath of the 3-22-93 Raw was good. We see two very good looking Japanese women in the crowd which look to be siblings, I like the one of the left more :batwink: Macho Man, Vinnie McMahon and the former "Not Vince McMahon" Bob Bartlett is flanked by the Rosati Sisters: Vivian, Christine & Diane whom are some of the many Raw Card Ring Girls. Bartlett hugs & kisses one of them and jokes with her in a good manor. Really these sisters aren't that bad looking. After the little love scene McMahon talks about the March to Wrestlemania which had Macho Man face Yokozuna which the sumo eliminated him at the WWF Royal Rumble 93 just a couple months prior. Also The Undertaker is to face to Bam Bam Bigelow who was still a force here and really would remain one until his defeat at the 1993 WWF King of the Ring. The Mega Maniacs would have a promo as well. We see the Raw crowd when people were still excited and had good fun having their focus on the actual event unlike today's modern society's face in the phone nearly the entire time of their $80 + stay and then Macho Man pulls back on a hand shake with Bartlett ans goes to the Rosati Sisters instead and then we see the WWF Monday Night Raw, Titan Sports, INC. 1993 Copyright as the program comes to it's climax.

There was many other important times of WWF Monday Night Raw in 1993 and her some of'em. So Shawn Michaels was on top, had a open challenge which was one of the first ever seen which by today's standards is used to all too often in WWE/NXT & AEW and it's just not special anymore. Marty Jannetty returned after a few month hiatus. It was quite apropos that he would because of The Rockers' huge shocking departure in late 91. On 5-17, they would have their match which was a good one. Thanks to a distraction by Mr. Perfect, the former Rocker scooped HBK up and got the pinfall and became the new Intercontinental Champion for the first time ever :!:

On 9-27, WWF President Jack Tunney announces that there will be a 20 man, over the top rope battle royal to determine a new WWF Intercontinental Champion due to Shawn Michaels' lack of competing with the 30 day title defense clause.

NOTE: This happen to Michaels because of steroid allegations, he he would return in December, see Reo's Roundup later on for more :!:

So they wasted no time getting the special report on TV (everything was so good, all you needed to know all in one show, no need to look elsewhere, the good'ole days!) with Joe Fowler in one of his only reports of this kind. He was saying about how HBK was stripped of the IC Title and all twenty competitors including Bob Backlund, the return of Rick Martel & Jimmy Snuka but wow, The MVP, when I first saw this when it first aired I loved how he looked but had no idea whom he was at the time just with that one picture to go on. This was the first of it's kind which I love firsts & origins of things which this was pretty big deal here and it was epic awaiting for it to happen. This buildup for this I-C Title on Raw was great, I just loved it, now this is how your supposed to make & build an event and TV show :batsmile:

A great looking Raw Card Ring Girl is in the ring then "The Model" Rick Martel vs. Native American Tatanka: A feud renewed from 92 but this time around Martel is a bit different in his return which the match ends in a double count out.

Irwin R. Schysterhas he words for Razor Ramon :!:

"The Bad Guy" has words for I.R.S. and even his newer friend Randy Savage because it's every man for himself!

So here is the 20 man, over the top rope Battle Royal to determine a new WWF Intercontinental Champion. Still to this day, this is one of the most exciting & epic Raws ever and really to this day there has never been one like this nor had it's buildup which again this is when the bookers were quite creative with things. So right off the bat they start the episode without the iconic intro and we see most of the participants already in the ring which this was really the beginning trend of this that we see today in this modern era which quite frankly I'm not a fan of because it's important & fun at the same time to see the wrestlers come to the squared circle especially if your a novice or first time viewer. The fans are really excited which they should and we see The MVP, Tatanka and a whole host of others. Bobby Heenan & Vince McMahon are your two man commentators here as Rob Bartlett is gone from the Federation and Macho Man is going to compete here in moments. Adam Bomb is coming to the ring now whom really hasn't been tested yet with competition despite he's been around for a while now. This is Diesel's first big bout as he stares at Mr. Perfect. Marty Jannetty looks on as the new major babyface Razor Ramon enters the fray. Heenan let's his thoughts be known. The WWF Tag Team Champions The Quebecers have a good entrance...

We then cut to a commercial break then when the show returns we are greeted by the nearly 8-foot Giant Gonzales. This is the only time that we see him and Diesel standing next to each other. This has always been a fantastic moment for Me. Take a good gander at the pic i made about it ;) The announcers are talking about this then Randy Savage arrives and hurries up, get's on the top rope and double axe handles the Giant and ambushes him and does it again and he is weaken. Macho then tries to get him over the rope then most of the wrestlers join him...

After a huge effort, this "team" dumps him over and as Vinnie Mac says...he's history. This has always been such a very bittersweet moment for Me. This was Giant Gonzales's last appearance in the WWF :roll: So the biggest threat and likely favorite winner is out first but there's still some big guys here like the 7 footer Diesel, two 400 pounders Bam Bam Bigelow & Bastion Booger and the 500 + pound Mable.

McMahon is asking who is that and Bobby says that's the MVP...Most Value Player, Vince replies and they talk about the San Francisco Giants. Vince asks Heenan who is going to when this and he says this and this that then Vinnie says I thought you were going to pick Booger and "The Brain" says I was but not for this...then he asks well who do you think is going to win this...apparently he didn't get the joke :lol: We see the returning "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka chopping away on Jacques. Mable is performing heelish tactics on Tatanka whom is a face as he says "Every Man For Himself" which this was a precursor to his major heel ways in 1995. Diesel fights him and is able to get his huge body over the rope and down to the floor :o MVP's face paint is coming off, is that "The Brooklyn Brawler" Steve Lombardi :? Rick "The Model" Martel eliminates Snuka while "Dangerous" Danny Davis tries to calm him down and send him back to the locker room area. Macho get's rid of "The Booger Man which it was a very dangerous botch as he almost got decapitated :o :batshock: :wwsmh: :smsmh: Razor get's out Bam Bam very hard. I.R.S., Bob Backlund, Mr. Perfect, Marty Jannetty & 1-2-3 Kid are all out and now MVP & "The Rocket" Owen Hart are both eliminated as well :!:

So now it's getting down to the nitty-gritty. "The Model", "Not the Mounties" and "Creation of Devastation" band together as a big heel unit while Macho Man get's the crowd to cheer for him while he and "The Bad Guy' get a game-plan going. The bad guys overpower the good guys with the numbers game. The Quebecers do their great double-team back body drop their known for. Macho is able to eliminate Bomb but he is forced out by the others. Now Razor is against them in a three on one tornado situation but how can he prevail here :?:

He knocks down Martel, the Quebecers get him and mess up their double-team as Pierre knocks Jacques over the top rope and then Razor get's him out and the last two in the ring is Ramon & Martel and we get a showdown between the two. We then see Martel from his entrance and then the 1993 Titan Sports, Inc. Copyright and the graphic of the Razor & Model for the vacated WWF Intercontinental Championship Title Belt for next week :!:

So now here we are the following week on Raw. it begins with them showing the Title and a recap from last week. The trio of commentators are ready and Howard Finkle announcers the match as Earl Hebner is holding the championship while the nice looking Raw Card Ring Girl is showing her stuff :batwink: "The Model" Rick Martel is coming to the ring :wwwink:

Here comes "The Bad Guy" Razor Ramon and the match begins. When it was all said and done Razor hit's the Razor's Edge and pins Martel for the 1.2.3. to become the new Intercontinental Champion. He's celebrating and the crowd just loves it. This was his first time as champion. I was pretty darn excited about this when he won despite I was all for "The Model". I look back on it and it's like yeah, another Kliq member wins a belt instead of somebody who really needed it :roll:

Voteline for HBK's REINSTATEMENT: After the Hulk Hogan Hotline came to a close they re-branded it. One of the first instances of this was at the King of the 93. "Terrific" Terry (the former Red Rooster) Taylor would be an interviewer for a while after having a so-so in-ring return for the past few months. Here he is on the new WWF hotline that was once the Hulk Hogan Hotline that I have mentioned many times previously. It would have an event theme whenever there would be a PPV. Here The Steiners, Razor & Crush were all participants and talked to lucky callers.

So from time to time to they would change it to a voteline. For years before the boom of the web, a long while in 93 which was really cool and it would continue for a while longer that the WWF would use a new Voteline and the people would have their chance at making matches happen among other things.

In this big IC Title case after Razor won the IC Championship, there was voteline to reinstate "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels. Mr. Perfect would have a major squabble with "Big Daddy Cool" Diesel and by himself he would tell the fans how to make it happen but he said the YES NUMBER TWICE with out flinching though McMahon noted that he made a mistake :!: After being rudely hung up by McMahon, "The Brain" Bobby Heenan said that the voting poll must be jammed since HBK lost and that he called it 44 times and Vince said he can believe that :lol:

Another cool moment on Raw was when Money Inc's. deal with The Beverly Brothers went wrong and The Beverlys attempted to get their revenge on them, 92 and especially in 93 saw many rules broken including the good guy vs. the bad guy scenario. I loved it when HEELS FOUGHT HEELS which this is something that has been severely been lacking in today's WWE :roll:

One very noteworthy match was on WWF Superstars later on in the year was "The Model: Rick Martel vs. Bastion Booger which were again two heels against each other. It was short match and Booger had the upper hand due to Martel trying to escape the stink. He used his "Arrogance" Cologne to "fumigate" this man as Jim Ross put it and disqualifying himself in the process. It was a hilarious and unique match up!

Raw Ring Card Girls: It was such a great addition to the first year/season of Monday Night Raw to have them. This was during the time when women were so fine. Teenage boys & men alike was wowed about them. Many of them wore bikinis and exercise attire in those classic high heels. Most were quite attractive if not gorgeous :batwink:

Unfortunately they stopped doing this later on within the year which the feature was out of here by 94 which was a shame but if your like Me and loved the first year of Raw you'll always dig that this happen :batwink:

Only a handful of guys gave their attention to the Raw Ring Card Girls but one that did was Bastion Booger, even a slob such as he knew what was good and he felt like a winner :batsmile:

So as I spotlighted in the 93 Debuts, there was a WWF Women's Championship Tournament and the finals was Alundra Blaze vs. Heidi Lee Morgan. On one of the last episodes of Raw in 93 they had the match as an exclusive first with a promo from both of the trailblazing women and really I've always liked women like this a bit more like say the Raw Card Girls, their more serious about the sport and just has a cool alternative look and personalty about them :batwink:

So "The Fink" Howard Finkel introduces both of them as then enter the ring and Joey Marella shows the new title championship.

It starts off with Mogan talking trash and it escalates into a very competitive match-up as Alundra performs her Martial Arts on her then she get's the upper-hand as she turns her back on her and Heidi Lee does some high flying maneuvers. Blayze get's her in sumbmissions

Morgan looks to put her away in her finisher but Alundra escapes and finishes her off with her German Suplex pinning combo..

to be the new WWF Women's Champion as the crowd loved this including Vlad the Fan. Blayze looked really good in this bout and as she celebrates she looks mighty fine. It's not very often one of My favorites get's the big spotlight, wins a match much less winning a championship as this was such a great moment back in 1993 :)

So as fun as that was there was such a bittersweet moment on one of the final shows of the year as it Bobby "The Brain Heenan's LAST APPEARANCE :shock: It had been culminating over time and really the last straw happen on WWF Survivor Series 93. Gorilla Monsoon threw out his old commentator partner literally out of the building and even though Bobby is a heel, it was very sad about this and the emotional that he put into this. Really it's one of the most depressing times in wrestling especially if your a fan of him :roll:

However, as pitiful as that was, he would be in WCW only about a month later at Clash of Champions 26 and all of his fans that watched this promotion would be pleased because he was back like he never left plus he rejoined Mean Gene Okerlund like old times and these reinvented/continued moments would last for years to come thus making yet another reason to tune into WCW every week :!:

Here's this cool WWF Programming Ad with WWF All-American Wrestling. WWF Mania first aired the day before My B-Day & the first ever Monday Night Raw the day after, it was such a great time :batsmile:

So in the last days of the year they would air some radical commercials called WWF Unbelievable. The first one was with a balding man who had a hard day at work. His extremely hot beautiful wife want's to get something sexual going with him with her big round boobs rubbing upon his body and of course he's not interested :batsmh: :smsmh: :wwwink: He finds out what time it is and he remember's WWF Monday Night Raw is on so he jumps up, turns on the TV as you hear Vinnie Mac. She looks at the camera confused & disappointed as we see he's really excited for the program then the WWF Unbelievable Logo appears :wwsmh:

The other one was a fairly nice looking woman on a park bench. She's reading a book while a guy cosplays (before cosplay was really a thing like we've known over the past decade and a half) as Razor Ramon, Bret Hart, Tatanka , Macho Man and she isn't even budging then the real Macho Man Randy Savage appears and then he just gives up and walks off. While she takes Macho's arm she says "don't fall for cheap imitations" meaning WCW among other wrestling promotions and then we see the WWF Unbelievable Logo :!:

Earlier this year the 30th Anniversary of WWF/WWE Monday Night Raw was held on January 23, 2023, at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and was broadcasted live on the USA Network. Within the 3 hour time frame one would think there would have been a ton of moments from the past especially from the show's first days but what classic stuff was seen was extremely brief and the veterans of the old days were there only for a very limited time because the commercials & recaps are more important than what the made the program what is was and of course you gotta focus on the current talent for this current generation that really has no clue how fun & wonderful Monday Night Raw was during 93 to the The Attitude Era I mean DX appeared and most of the crowd really doesn't know how great they were back in the day for example. It's hard to believe that WWF Monday Night Raw is 30 years old this year

Now as huge as this is I have a lot more in store for 93, just because2023 is over doesn't mean anything...next I'm gonna show the events in full detail and everything like you've never seen before so keep a look out in the near future :o
Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:51 pm

That was a pretty long summary. An interesting read since I didn't watch any wrestling that year, so I can't say I'm familiar with most of that. I had to read more on Nailz as I hadn't heard that story before. I don't know what to think there.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:55 am

Well thanks. Like I said, this took Me a year in the making because one thing led to another and I just kept on going and the thing is I've only posted a bit of it, I've done all of the events and a ton of stuff to be surprised about it from 93. Like I said, 93 was such an important year for so much especially wrestling. Another thing to be surprised about is that the Mr. McMahon character actually debuted in 93 in the USWA not to mention the GWF & Walker: Texas Ranger :shock: There is a lot here...I look at this way like an old wrestling magazine which there is no time limit of how fast you gotta check out and besides, you can always go back on it because there's always something fun that you missed ;) Oh I updated 92 a bit too. More will be here in the coming weeks :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to WWF/WWE/NXT