Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wingnut's collection

The central catch all topic for your collections! Share all of your awesome collections/display setups that you've built and see what others have put together!

Re: Wingnut's collection

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:04 pm

UltraMegaSuperXtremeOverboard
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby wingnut1969 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:14 pm

Back before Christmas I added an Indigo1 and Salaak figure to my GLC shelf. I never understood why Mattel never did an Indigo1 figure. ALL of the other color Lanterns were done. Why not Indigo? They did an Atom but he was just a lieutenant Lantern and not a primary so in my book he doesn't count.

I also reunited Obsidian with his long lost sister Jade. I'm thinking of either getting another Jade or making one to go on my JLA shelf to accompany my DIck Grayson Batman and Supergirl to try and fill out that version of the JLA just before Nu52 took over. I want to make one because it kind of bothers me that she has fist hands rather than one being open to see her Starheart palm mark.

I did some shuffling around of my Batmans and combined them into one so I could do -

My namesake: Nightwing/Robin. That NTT Judas Contract Robin is one of my all-time favorites and with George's announcement back before Christmas this figure and the E2 Robin figure mean that much more to me - as well as the first appearance Nightwing figure - maybe I should get another for this shelf. The Hush Nightwing is also a favorite. I just didn't like the idea of not having them on display. But as shelf space is limited they may have to find another home.

Super Friends! If you can't here the pounding of the music in your head what's wrong with you? Saturday mornings was where it was at when I was growing up and Saturdau mornings meant Super Friends. And SHAZAM!. And Isis. And Plastic Man. I love these figures but the cheap plastic they are made from gives them the tendency to tumble over. Mostly in the summer when it's warmer. Just put them up the other night so we'll see how long they last. It also bothered me that when Flash got his ReActivated release they did not do a Captain Cold figure to go along with him. Or Grodd would have been acceptable but Cold would have been preferred. Everyone has a bad guy except the Flash who is left out in the Cold. Or left without Cold. Whichever you like.

Aquaman. I just got the Nu52 JL Aquaman a few days ago. He came in the lot with the Gordon figure I repurposed. Now I think I really need the DCD hook hand Aquaman to go along with these guys. same goes for these guys as shelf space is needed they may have to wander off to somewhere else.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby wingnut1969 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:48 pm

My Metal Men with Doc Magnus added

Agent Diana Prince added to my Wonder Woman shelf. I tried to customize one but my plans fell apart when the pieces I intended to use were incompatible so I just bought her. I did not realize just how much taller the DCD stuff was as compared to DCUC but she IS an Amazon so maybe she should be taller than Trevor.

Brimstone I did not know what to do with. I had two choices: Kirby Korner since he was an instrument of Darkseid when he debuted in Legends or the Suicide Squad since he was the very first mission of the team. I opted for the Squad obviously.

The Brimstone figures I did get separately from the Man himself and some I knew what to be done with others I had to decide where they would best fit - let me know if you agree with my choices if you want. Where would you put them?

Silver Banshee clearly went on the Superman shelf.
Major Force was one of the ones I had to think about. He couldn't go on the Crisis Villains shelf as he was post Crisis. Captain Atom did not have a shelf of his own - though I've thought about doing a Ditko Display like my Kirby Korner but I would have to get some extra figures to help fill it out - don't twist my arm or nuthin - I decided that going with Kyle was where he should end up since it was him that fridged Kyle's girlfriend so kind of became a GL villain with that action.
Icicle was another. He couldn't go COIE shelf because this was the Jr. version rather than the original. I decided to put him in with the YJ figures for two reasons: He was featured in the original season of YJ , though I don't remember if Jr looked exactly like this, and he would go pretty good with Sports Master when I finally buy him. Two: he is based off of an animated look from the Public Enemies movie so I thought he would fit well there.
Then there was Superman and Batman. They had to go with my DCD Superwoman and Batwoman figures. Both were designed by Ed McGuiness and I think they compliment the other well.

I found the PE figures to be a bit alarming. Don't get me wrong I'm over the moon to finally have them but they seem to be more cheaply made on a couple fronts. One, the plastic seems incredibly flimsy - I don't know how that will affect them when summer rolls around the temp is a bit higher. There is little to no detailing on the figures, Icicle being the true exception. The heads are all new but hat's about it everything is just paint and not sculpting. That also applies to Superman and Batman which I don't get. The boots for the both of them are just painted on(?)! They had already sculpted boot for both characters long before the PE figures were made so why not use the correct boots for them rather than just paint them on?. I had thought about getting the Black Lightning figure to use for customs fodder but don't think I will now
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby Idiot Savant » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:51 pm

Yeah I completely agree on the PE figs..I was so looking forward to getting them (which I did at the time) but they also were supposed to be released with the animated movie date; which that didn’t happen (at least not in my Target at the time…had to wait a couple weeks by then).

The most of the figs were boring as you said, but I was very happy to have Silver Banshee (who was never re-released), Icicle and the C&C Brimstone, who apparently goes for a decent price nowadays.

I have since sold the rest of the figures, save for the ones I mentioned above. After all the excitement of finding them, that particular itch was poorly scratched as they were very unimpressive designs in the DCUC line.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:14 pm

Yeah, I got the Public Enemy figures a while back. So happy to have Silver Banshee on my Superman shelf and the rest of the villains. Brimstone is an absolute beast and he looks great with the rest of the collection. I actually passed on the Superman and Batman figures because they were a little pricey on the secondary market and I already had enough of those coming out of the wazoo. Like you guys already stated, they looked a bit odd and under-detailed.

I also didn't care of the translated to animated Ed McGuinness look. This was fine for Brimstone, Silver Banshee and I guess Icicle Jr as well. Black Lightning and Major Force, of which I have both as well, don't look that great. The bodies are OK but a little cartoony and lackluster but the worst part are those simplified animated headsculpts. Major Force looks way out of place next to my Captain Atom. I considered doing a head swap but couldn't be bothered.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Idiot Savant » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:02 pm

Ha I forgot about Major Force…kept him too for obvious reasons
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby wingnut1969 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:23 pm

Sorry I've been away a while. I haven't really bought or made anything new for a while. I do have stuff to work on but, as with all things, my enthusiasm will wax and wane.

Anyway. I finally bought the Harley Quinn motherbox figure. It didn't really float my boat before but since the demise of DCUC/Signature Series/Multiverse line I have become more nostalgic for figures I did not originally buy. A guy on eBay was selling Harley and Spoiler together in sealed boxes. Opening bid $9.99 and with a max bid of $25 plus S&H plus tax they are now both mine - Spoiler will ultimately be an original look Spoiler once the flames are fanned again. I did not expect to actually win it but here we are. Harley is loose. Her knees are loose as well as her breast joint. Her pompoms don't fit as snuggley as I would like. Anybody else find this to be so?

I added her to my Suicide Squad shelf as you can see. I didn't know what else to do with her
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:11 pm

Thanks for sharing, wingnut! I actually liked those two figures. They also came out with Vixen around the same time but I was hoping for the look that they used in the packaging back in the day.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:42 am

Nice to see you back Wingnut. Nice figures :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby wingnut1969 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:51 pm

New look for Hawkworld with Lionmane.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Collections