Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Anyone ever dye?

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Anyone ever dye?

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:13 pm

No, not die, dye? I've been trying to dye the brown cloak that the Black Series Jedi Knight Luke came with so I could make
Spoiler:
Mandalorian
version of Luke with a black cloak. I've tried a couple different synthetic fabric dyes with no success. Because I was doing it I tossed a bunch of other soft goods items in the stew, Farmboy Luke's tunic, ANH Leia dress, some other cloaks and capes, and while they've gotten darken, all I've seemed to achieve is a dark brown for all of them despite using black dyes. I've tried RIT and iDye dyes, and not sure if I' just suck at it. Anyone ever try something like this?
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Anyone ever dye?

Postby secondwhiteline » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:49 pm

It might help to add some navy blue to the mix if you're dyeing brown, to help disguise the brown undertones.

What fabric are the Black series soft goods made from?

Have you tried doubling the dye quantity and the time in the dye? (Also, are you using hot water?)
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:42 pm

Not sure, Chinese sweat towels? I wasted $15 on dyes, custom cape was $18, so just went that route.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Webslinger » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:17 pm

I had heard you could stain/dye plastics. I tried it once but I think I did it wrong.
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:30 pm

Everytime I see the header to this thread I just hear the Cutting Crew singing, "Oh, I just dyed in your arms tonight..."

I guess I should've walked away.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Return to Action Figure Customs