Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Idiot Savant's Customs Image Gallery

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: Idiot Savant's Customs Image Gallery

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:53 am

Thanks Av...at the moment of the work stoppage, what you see was 15 hours of work, where the majority was building and painting the rock wall.

It sucked too cuz while I was building it, my wife interviewed for a job (that she did get) so I stopped working on it due to the "what if" factor; good thing too cuz I didn't plan on taking it apart.

How do the "rocks" look? Since its unfinished and I've seen pink/blue building foam used for dioramas, I was thinking about using that due to my new basement is finished and that plaster-infused gauze would destroy the floor....plus I can sculpt the rock and hopefully make it look better and more rocky-cave like.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby 1987olds442 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:16 am

I love that batcave, and I would love to have the room for something like that. I really like how the Justice Lords are coming together look forward to seeing the rest of the team.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Hey Olds,

Thanks for the comments!

Yeah I need to get that cave back together...as for the Lords figs, it'll be a while for I don't have any more doubles of John Stewarts, Flash, J'onn or Hawkgirl figs left...someday when I'm at a con
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:31 pm

What do they go for at cons? My biggest regret is not starting customs sooner. I didn't get into until wave 16 or so and by then the stuff available in stores was limited. I always think of all the $10 figs I passed up in the past because I already had them. I usually go the eBay, amazon, or trade route. But even that is drying up. Hoping the discount chains get some good stuff for Christmas, though so far I have been disappointed.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Looking at loose DCUC figs I've seen them as low as $5 each, no accessories; depending on the character. But this was years ago when "everyone had them".

I'd think those are the best ways for me to find them for customs cuz I'm going to basically destroy them anyways...and if you bundle, you save...usually
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Avalon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 pm

Have you been cooking anything up lately, Savant?
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks for checking in Avalon!

I'm currently juggling too many ideas and not enough actual work! At the moment, I'm juggling:

1) Vandal Savage custom (loosely based on JLU and Young Justice)
2) The Daily Planet upper facade (built the roof access on top of the Ghostbusters Firehouse with large post for the globe)
3) trying to figure out what to change/fix/alter/find a new table on my current Batcave rock walls-the current setup before we moved is in my gallery- I think)
4) Lois Lane fig, just have to figure out what style clothing to giver her; thinking a cross between Gary Frank's art and Erica Durance from "Smallville")

That's what's on the plate...now all I have to do is pick one and keep with it until its finished!

How about you? Anything cooking?
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:17 am

Knightfall Batman

Ingredients:

DCUC WGSH Batman
Dug/scratched wounds to match comic run
Red paint for blood (accidentally put too much under his schnoz; looks more like a bloody goatee)
Cut portions of the cape to show more damage
image.jpg
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:22 am

Atomic Skull

Ingredients:
DCUC Orange Lantern Lex
Head from Marvel Legends Rebirth Ghost Rider
Sculpted: shoulders, chest, back and sides
Painted and sealed
image.jpg
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:28 am

Blue Lantern E.T.

Ingredients:
Vintage ET figure with extending neck action!
Glued neck in its raised position
Cut off neck raise tab in back
Sculpted to smooth out the neck and base of neck area
Painted and sealed
Printed BL logo and applied
image.jpg
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs