Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Let's Talk Paints

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Let's Talk Paints

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:50 pm

I kow there's only a few of us around, but I thought I'd try to start a conversation of some sort, so I decided let's talk about paints everyone uses/prefers. Also, I thought we could use this thread to talk about or ask and recommend colors. For example, I was always looking for a decent blue for Cobra characters, and found from asking elsewhere, that Army Builder Ultramarine Blue was a really good choice to match GI Joe Cobra blue. So, let's talk shop...

When I first began years ago I used mostly Model Master paints because they were readily available at Hobby Lobby and I could get them cheap if I only bought one at a time using the 40% off coupon. But I always hated the way to bottles would always get stuck after many uses and I would have to run them under hot water to loosen the lids. Sometimes I would buy a Vallejo dropper bottle as well, but I never really liked dropper bottles because the cleanup was more of a pain.

Eventually I started going to a local hobby store where they had Citadel Paints and Tamiya as well. But that shop closed a few years ago. Last fall I discovered a new hobby shop on the other side of town where I've found myself getting much more into dropper bottles, especially Reaper paints.

I used to love Citadel for their variety, and it was easy to use by just shaking it up and painting from the inside of the lid (that's why the Model Master paint jars always seized up on me), but I'm starting to think they might be too thick, which is why I'm really digging Reaper Master Series Paints, they have a real nice selection of paints, and they seem to be thinner, so the application looks smoother. Plus, I really like their triad sets, especially their skin tone paints with the highlight and shadow colors.

As for my least favorites, I've never cared for Tamiya much. It always seems a bit tacky to me as it dries, and the paints have a scent to them, it's not unpleasant, but a little weird. They do have some of the most vibrant colors, though, so I've used them on occassion. I also like their Smoke X-19 which is good for a wash on metallic items like droids or weapons.

There's just so much out there!

So what's everyone else like?

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Let's Talk Paints

Postby Idiot Savant » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:23 pm

Great idea for a thread...

I’ve pretty much only used the cheap and semi-cheap paints from Wally World. There are a large variety of colors and a few different names (Apple Barrel, Folk Art and Waverly: those work really well but sadly, the only paints they now carry are the pastel ones) and they work pretty well, at least as far as my needs go.

I’ve tried Citadel before (and still have some) but those are fairly thick and pricey for how much paint you get. It’s also the only paints my LCS carries; so pickins are slim for me.

I’m not a big mixer of paints, so I usually buy the colors I need and now have WAY too much green; for obvious reasons. I prefer straight paint (if I can) and washes with the Tamiya Weathering Master brush kits to finish the job.

Honestly the biggest issue for me is finding the very fine, durable brushes for tight paint work. I’m currently using synthetic bristles and those seem to be better at the moment.

I look forward to seeing other ideas and thanks for starting the thread Packer.

With everything I have going on diorama-wise here, I won’t be making figures for quite some time.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:40 pm

"No...more...figures?"
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Idiot Savant » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:08 pm

Oh I’m not done, not by a long shot...I still have about 60 on the phone photo album...I have more nerd pics than I do of my family hahaha

Maybe my customs are my real family....hmm
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:32 pm

I use Citadel paints from Games Workshop and also Formula P3 from Privateer Press. I don't know if they're any good but they don't leave a tacky feeling on the figures which is good and I just leave them kicking around and they don't seem to have any paint chipping off at all and I don't put anything over it for paint protection. I do mix paints when I feel like I need to. :smgrin:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 1987olds442 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:45 pm

I mostly use Testors Model Master acrylic paint, but I do use some Citadel as well. Then I use Testors spray lacquers to seal the paint depending on the finial finish that I want either dull, semi-gloss, or gloss coat.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Tango X » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:00 pm

How do you guys keep the joints from rubbing the paints off??
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:44 pm

1987olds442 wrote:I mostly use Testors Model Master acrylic paint, but I do use some Citadel as well. Then I use Testors spray lacquers to seal the paint depending on the finial finish that I want either dull, semi-gloss, or gloss coat.

I like Testors but inevitably the lid gets stuck from the paint drying and I have to run it under hot water. It gets annoying. Maybe I'm just sloppy, lol.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:46 pm

Tango X wrote:How do you guys keep the joints from rubbing the paints off??

Most of the time I just automatically dremel the shoulders as I've rarely had a custom that didn't have paint rub there. The feet and knees are far less of a problem. I know some say to just put some glue on the joint and that will keep the paint from rubbing off but I'm always afraid I'll mess up and the glue will fuse the joint.
Here's a handy demo:
https://www.figurerealm.com/customtutor ... view&id=35
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby 1987olds442 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:41 am

packerbacker180 wrote:
1987olds442 wrote:I mostly use Testors Model Master acrylic paint, but I do use some Citadel as well. Then I use Testors spray lacquers to seal the paint depending on the finial finish that I want either dull, semi-gloss, or gloss coat.

I like Testors but inevitably the lid gets stuck from the paint drying and I have to run it under hot water. It gets annoying. Maybe I'm just sloppy, lol.

It's not just you :smgrin:
I have to use hot water and vise grips fairly often.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Next

Return to Action Figure Customs