Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wingnut's customs

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: Wingnut's customs

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:00 am

Wow, that's actually pretty cool. It reminds me of some of those Four Horsemen lines.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 1987olds442 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:05 pm

Very cool!
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby wingnut1969 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:17 pm

Golden Age Wonder Woman

She is an amalgamation of Wonder Woman figures. DCUC WW body. ReActivated DCD WW head. DCD GA WW skirt. DCUC figure was part of a lot I bought on eBay. The ReActivated head came by way of my LCS when he got in some broken figures and he passed them on to me. The skirt I just took off my DCD GA WW inaction figure. I sanded down the WW breast plate and did my best to mold the eagle. I ain't no sculptor but I did the best I could. I painted the belt and eagle and extended the top of the bodice a bit. Afterwards I got to thinking about whether I should've tried to outline her breasts better but being mostly happy with the finished product I decided not to mess with it and screw things up. Nor did I flair out the tops of her boots as it just seemed unnecessary. All-in-all I'm pretty happy with the final product. I'll keep trying to improve but for now . . .
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:37 pm

She is very nicely made! Excellent job
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:20 pm

Wow, great job, man. I was trying to work on one a few years back but never finished it. Yours looks awesome!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby secondwhiteline » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:56 pm

Wow, great job! Maybe it's the head, but something reminds me a bit of Darwyn Cooke's take on WW.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:34 pm

secondwhiteline wrote:Wow, great job! Maybe it's the head, but something reminds me a bit of Darwyn Cooke's take on WW.

I definitely got that Darwyn Cooke vibe as well and that's not a bad thing because his Wonder Woman is one of my favorites of all time!
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut1969 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:06 pm

Thanks guys. Always nice to hear my work is appreciated. Especially this one. I was super nervous to really even begin because so much could go wrong. Thankfully I made it through with hardly no muss, no fuss. Words of encouragement always inspire me to try more. Thank you.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby wingnut1969 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:27 pm

Bat-Girl - Bette Kane

She's a Mary Marvel with, appropriately enough, Batgirl legs and cape and battlebag from DCD SA 2pk. I sanded down the boots and trimmed her hair a bit to make the mask. The head from the DCD figure didn't fit, it sat too high on the neck it woulda been bobbleheadish, so I did the mask with as much success as I could - it looks like bunny ears to me. I molded her bracelet, belt bat and boot cuffs. This an excellent example of why DCD kinda sucks. Sure they look good - most of them - but they are destined to break. It's only a matter of time. Joints freeze and when you move them they break. Hush Catwoman and Harley, Superman and Steel, TT Wonder Girl - Cassie, WW Circe, Hard Traveling GL, Deadshot - not IC Turner one, Harbinger, Agent Prince - just sitting in a box - all broke for no reason. My 1st appearance Robin arm(s) won't stay on. Guys complained about QC with Mattel? Let's talk about DCD. Sorry, raged a little too much.

Dick Grayson

He's a Jack Knight Starman body and the Grayson head that came with the last assortment Batman figure. I thought about removing the lapel pin and design on back of the jacket but ultimately decided not to. He turned out like I thought he would - I honestly would have preferred a version of the Robin head but beggars can't be choosers. The thing about this is when he stands beside the Bruce Wayne figure I made with the suit body he dwarfs him. He's SO much bigger but compare Clark to Superman.

Shazam

The Wizard is a Jason Momoa Aquaman head on a Desaad body, YJ Red Arrow legs and original Sinestro feet. I used the YJ RA legs because Desaad has boots with those straps and knobs(?) and I wanted something leaner for the legs and the Sinestro feet because the RA feet are pretty big and blocky. I didn't want to paint the robe and his hair plain white so I went gray with the hair and ivory with the robes to try and give it a worn look. I mixed in a little white with each of the colors to soften them up a bit. I also painted his feet to look like he's wearing sandals. I wanted to use the barefoot from the Aquaman figure and give them a sandal look but the ankle joints were reversed.

Anyway, I hope you like them.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:45 pm

Nice job on those customs! I agree that the Starman design was way too big for the character…even though it is a good sculpt

Great idea on the Wizard Shazam too…all the parts fit perfectly together
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs