Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

SDCC 2109

Discuss the ever popular character comprehensive line "DC Universe Classics" here! This also includes DC Superheroes, DC Universe Classics, DC Unlimited, Batman Unlimited, Club Infinite Earths, Movie Masters, 1966 Batman TV Series, Club Black Freighter, Total Heroes and any other DC figure line utilizing the 6" scale.

Re: SDCC 2019

Postby Doctor Fate » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:27 am

packerbacker180 wrote:A few cool things trickling out.

Marvel Legends Squirrel Girl (yay) w/moped (boo). Shang-Chi, and Cosmic Ghost Rider.

My LCS that I go to ... is very excited about Squirrel Girl and Cosmic Ghost Rider as well. Many of them are already pre-ordered them.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:27 pm

I don't even collect ML but I'm down for Shang-Chi!!! Now I might have to get Iron Fist. Dang.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Princess_Amethyst » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:28 am

I was pretty happy to get Batwoman. I'm kind of surprised we didn't get Oracle with these other reveals.
Princess_Amethyst
Hero
Hero

SDCC 2109

Postby wingnut1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Well, the last San Diego con for Mattel as DCs licensor has come and gone. They showed some cool stuff. Croc is GIGANTIC. I mean he dwarfs the Beast if those pics are to be believed. Like the Reds Hood & Robin. Grayson Batman looks cool. The star though for me is the Alfred with the 3 swappable heads. Joker looks like complete and utter ASS,

https://news.toyark.com/2019/07/17/sdcc ... ics-353376
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Re: SDCC 2109

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:10 pm

Yeah, I wasn't impressed by many of those. Kind of looked like Mattel half-assed their way to the end. Why is Killer Croc like 12 feet tall in scale? Will these ever even make it to retail?
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby wingnut1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:52 pm

I had the thought after I posted that maybe, fingers, eyes and toes crossed, that Croc is just a mock-up that he won't actually be that big. They have brought mock-ups before. Here's hoping.

As for the Joker: WHY? There would be only one way to improve on the two Jokers they previously released and that would be to do the trench coat again only this time give him his fedora - which he SHOULD have had on the first trench coat figure. And this one looks like ASS - as stated previously.

Poison Ivy: Again I ask: WHY? Yeah they're going for a more classic look like when she first appeared but this is highly unnecessary. I'll say this: I'm glad they could repurpose Huntress's crossbow - it's appropriate for the character.

As your swan song you choose retread ground you covered pretty nicely before? Maybe they are supposed to be signature line figures from the movies but that Joker looks nothing like Jack and Ivy looks nothing Uma Thurman.

They could have done virtually any of an assortment of characters from villains or supporting characters - Gordon quickly comes to mind.Hatter, Scarface and the Ventriloquist, Hush, Bullock, Nocturna, Firefly, Talia. And that's just to name a few IF you wanted to just stick in the Batman corner of the DCU. I was always an advocate for Scarface and the Ventriloquist because I thought Scarface would have been the coolest accessory EVER: A little toy puppet with a little toy tommy gun - removable of course. The one Kenner/Hasbro did for the animated line was cool so a bigger one with more room for detail would've been awesome. Oh well, opportunities missed.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby Idiot Savant » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:00 pm

Opportunities missed agreed but here’s hoping McFarlane picks up those pieces and runs wild with them...

I also was just “whelmed” by Mattel’s showing...my favorites were Croc (who will be the same size as King Shark, based on the reused pieces), KGBeast and Alfred.

I also question the distribution of this final line and hope I get a chance to get the ones I want
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:03 am

I have to admit, I'm super stoked for these. I thought I was done with Mattel's DC Classics but I think I might actually go back and get some of the new ones I missed.

I did get the Justice Buster, Dr. Psycho (with the way too big Cassie Sandsmark), Clayface and King Shark waves but skipped the Lex wave and the Rookie wave and any other wave that came out if there was one. I live in Canada so distribution always sucks on these so it's pretty much Big Bad Toy Store for me and paying the unfortunate import fees that go along with it. The ones I'm most excited for are:

Red Hood
Alfred
Killer Croc

and I actually like the SDCC Silver Age 4 pack but I don't like what I'm probably going to have to pay to get them. Those Kenner nods are actually kind of neat and I remember those better than I remember the Super Powers line which I was too young for, I think. Looks like I was only 2 when they came out. Still, I wouldn't miss them if they didn't come out if it meant getting other figures. Like wingnut mentioned, where the heck is Gordon? He could easily be a repurpose of the trenchcoat body or god forbid, allow for a retooled more buff trenchcoat/suit buck since they seem to be willing to retool totally new bucks for their send offs.

I hope we're not just getting Batman figs until the end here. Forever People and Highfather would be nice left field figures for me. Some Legion characters that are essential like Element Lad, Invisible Kid, Mon-El, Triplicate Girl and Phantom Girl. The rest of the Fatal Five? Those don't feel like they have a shot in heck now.

I'm wondering if McFarlane can license the bucks like Super7 did for MOTUC or if it'll be more involved? Would anyone even want that? I would, mostly for scale and consistency.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:39 pm

I would hope and pray McFarlane is able to produce all new bucks for whatever scales they’re going for.

I did just see that McFarlane is seriously considering building a Batmobile BAF in the 7” scale, separated in 3 parts; intriguing to say the least...wonder what one? Fingers crossed for 1989
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Princess_Amethyst » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Idiot Savant wrote:I would hope and pray McFarlane is able to produce all new bucks for whatever scales they’re going for.

If they do I hope they manage to retain a scale that works with DC Classics. I could see McFarlane making it completely incompatible just to make collectors feel like they have to buy everything all over again but that was the same reason I didn't get any of the DC Icons beyond Atomica.
Princess_Amethyst
Hero
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to DC Universe Classics and Assorted 6" Scale from Mattel