Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Books (Recommended Reading)

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Books (Recommended Reading)

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Beat ya to it, beast! I highly recommend the Fallen Angel mini-series from '87. :batlol: Huh, what else. I'm halfway through Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. It's craaazy good. What else did I enjoy recently. Zodiac, a non-fiction novel based on the Zodiac murders that took place in Northern Cali written by Robert Graysmith was pretty great.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Books (Recommended Reading)

Postby beastovjudgement » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Oh, snap. I very highly recommend Glen Cook's Black Company series. It tends to be overlooked in lists of best fantasy series, but it absolutely belongs right at the top alongside the greats of the genre.
"The bestial screams, a life devoted - to the occult.
The flickering lights, my dream came true.
And now I'm dead.
Find me, take me. To the void, to the crooked nest, to Nekrohaven."
Satyricon, "Nekrohaven"
beastovjudgement
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby faustX » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Island in the Sea of Time and its two sequels by S.M. Stirling is a great ride. The entire island of Nantucket as well as a US Coast Guard clipper ship get transported about 3000 years backwards in time. Its the story of how they cope and interact with the ancient world. With special a guest appearance from Ulysses!
As far as nonfiction goes, I highly recommend Guns, Germs, and Steel. Those three things are posited to be the factors which allowed Europeans to so handily conquer the new world. Really fascinating read.
faustX
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Crazy Jetty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:25 pm

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams is a well deserved read.

Dinotopia, by James Gurney
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Postby faustX » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:26 pm

Crazy Jetty wrote:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams is a well deserved read.

Dinotopia, by James Gurney

Both of those are incredible, but for different reasons. Hitchhikers Guide... is a classic. Its one of those rare books that can stir me to outright laughter. Hilarious. Dinotopia is just a good old fashioned adventure, but accompanied by amazing illustrations. I really felt like the story was something written in the late 19th century that someone only now was getting around to illustrate. Like it was an H.G. Wells story.
faustX
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Crazy Jetty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:39 pm

Nice. I rarely ever cross paths with someone who's not only familier with Dinotopia beyond the TV series, but has actually read it!
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Postby faustX » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Crazy Jetty wrote:Nice. I rarely ever cross paths with someone who's not only familier with Dinotopia beyond the TV series, but has actually read it!

There is a TV series? lol
faustX
Civilian
Civilian

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 pm

faustX wrote:
Crazy Jetty wrote:Nice. I rarely ever cross paths with someone who's not only familier with Dinotopia beyond the TV series, but has actually read it!

I smell a new General Discussions fan thread coming. :batlol:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crazy Jetty » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:53 pm

faustX wrote:

I don't know if you're making a funny or genuinely don't know, lol. So incase it's the latter, then yes.
There was a Hallmark miniseries which was fairly meh. Then that was followed with a somewhat more interesting hour long tv series, recasting the main characters from the miniseries. Both are out on DVD, though ABC cancelled the series half way through, so the DVDs were the only way to see the complete season.
The TV series bombed so hard commercially it literally killed the franchise. Bookstores and publishers want nothing to do with new books.

Dinotopia alsi has three additional books... two sequels and one prequel, all by Gurney.
The World Beneath
First Flight (About the first skybax)
and Journey to Chandara.

There are also two or three novels following Will Denison, and an entire series of young adult novels by various authors. I'd highly suggest picking up the Troodon Knights trilogy: Lost City, Return to Lost City, and The Explorers (It might be called Explorers Club, my memories a little rusty)
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Postby faustX » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:51 pm

I thought 'The World Beneath' was awesome. It reminded me a lot of Journey to the Center of the Earth, which is yet again, another great book.
faustX
Civilian
Civilian

Next

Return to General Discussions