Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Countdown to Christmas: Store Commercials

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Countdown to Christmas: Store Commercials

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:55 pm

I've said this before, I loved the Sears Holiday Catalog when I was kid. It was a chance to circle all the things you wanted for Christmas while checking out some neat scenes crafted on the pages.

Let's see...I want that...and that....and that...

But on top of that, there were always so many store commercials for Christmas advertising everything from Cabbage Patch dolls to Ronco Pocket Fishermen, so let's all stroll down memory lane for some nostalgic Christmas advertising. And let's do so by heading up North. Some people may've never heard of Canadian Tire, eh, but growing up on the border I always knew it was the place where you could give like Santa but save like Scrooge....

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Countdown to Christmas: Store Commercials

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:04 pm

Ha, you've heard of Canadian Tire but have you heard of Shopper's Drug Mart?

"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:08 pm

I see your Shopper's Drug Mart and raise you a Zellers...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:13 pm

Think you're the only one who knows about defunct Canadian department store Christmas ads?

"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:22 pm

Hard to believe that anything attached to Alan Thicke could fail, but from what I've heard, nobody beats...

Funny sidebar. The son of the owner of the Brick is one of the Buffalo Sabres goalies, Eric Comrie.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:57 pm

More funny sidebar, Eric Comrie's half brother Mike was also a former hockey player and part of the Brick dynasty and was married to Hilary Duff of Lizzy Maguire fame at some point.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:07 am

Dang, My upcoming Star Wars showcase will feature Sears Wish Books, I already made it a while back. I love them books, I'm so thankful that My Parents got Me so much from them back in the day. To bad today's kids have no clue how special this was back then.

Some superb stuff there. I'm not familiar with these stores as they were way above My area up North but I can tell they were really good. I love the video game ones. Gosh I miss these times. I got a lineup coming next time :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:23 pm

RC ProAm was a great game BTW,

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:52 am

Do stores still do layawya? I know K-Mart did before they went under, not sure if anywhere else does.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:17 am

Wow, that TRU one was fabulous, makes Me recall them days like it was last week. I loved that one. It is so cool seeing them NES Games. It so good seeing Super Mario Bros & Duck Hunt and the Zapper, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out and yes RC ProAm! Gosh all of this so remarkable PB, makes Me wanna go back in time to those days :scbat:

Ah, the Hills. I remember you showed them to Me a long while back. They looked like a fun store too, I'm sure if I had a chance I'd want to go there if I could and I'm sure I'd have something is My grasp, I saw them Transformers there so... :)

I have no idea about Layaway :? ..

Strange, you said about K-Mart...I had this one on My mind BEFORE I saw this post and then I saw you said about K-Mart and I'm like dang here we go ago again :? Anyway, do you remember the "Light Bulb Mascot" Mr Bluelight and their Better than Black Friday commercials :?: These were some of the last ones before as you said...went under

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Next

Return to General Discussions