Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Leonard Nimoy.

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Leonard Nimoy.

Postby Ken Davis » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:04 pm

There aren't many fictional characters that stand the test of time.
Too many get tainted by either the performances of the character, associations to the actors playing the parts or the inevitable changes made to the character themselves.
A few characters become iconic.
Sherlock Holmes, maybe Batman.........and Mr. Spock.

Leonard Nimoy defined who Spock was, and made him his own. Nimoy, in the end, WAS Spock, and Spock was him.

This morning, we lost Leonard Nimoy.

Tears well up as I write this, and as I look around my work room, I don't actually see many immediate examples of Spock, put the presence of the character and Nimoy's performance touched my life deeply. Books, movies, toys, props.........Star Trek, and by extension Spock/Nimoy navigated me through imagination, life and growing up.
I remember taking a late friend of mine, a high-school chum to died years later piloting a plane, to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan on opening day. He'd broken up with his girlfriend just a couple of days before........and the film, and the ENDING of that film broke him.
He got maybe 5 steps out of the theatre and then broke down sobbing. It hit home. He told he never forgot the message about friendship that it sent him. I was not an allegory about growing old, to him.......but rather a message about stay close with those you care about.
To this day, Spock's death in that movie moves me greatly. I know if I watch it again right now, I'll lose it completely.
It means TOO MUCH, and more than ever before now.

This is a character entrenched in me. In many.
Not just a touchstone in our lives, not just a compatriot in our own struggles, but also a message of the possibilities.
The greater tale of Spock's character and Nimoy's life is that each of us can boldly go wherever we need to go.
Fiction is make-believe, yes..........but it is also magic. How many have stepped forward inspired by Spock, and in turn, Nimoy? How many scientists, engineers, artists?
We got to watch his voyages, and now he's set course for Eternity.
Live long and Prosper, because........it is only logical.
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Re: Leonard Nimoy.

Postby Doctor Fate » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:18 pm

One of my favorite actors on Star Trek.

He will be missed by Star Trek fans everywhere ... A true Icon in the world of Science Fiction Television and Movies everywhere.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:28 pm

I heard this several hours ago in the car. I was going to share it but hoped someone with a better appreciation of Star Trek would do so first. I've never been much of a Star Trek fan. I've seen the original movies, never got much into any of the TV shows. But I've always appreciated the legacy both Nimoy and Shatner have in pop culture. There are so few true icons in the world nowadays. It's a sad reminder that there is only one thing guaranteed for all of us. I can't really follow up after Ken's post, so I'll just share one of my favorite Leonard Nimoy appearances...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Princess_Amethyst » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Oh my god, I can't believe it. What terrible news...
Princess_Amethyst
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:42 pm

This is shocking. Leonard Nimoy, he's one of those people that you just always took for granted would always be there... This just comes as such a huge surprise, I really don't know what to say except that I'm deeply deeply sad about this...
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Illiasc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Someone told me about this this morning and I just couldn't believe it. I still almost refuse to believe it. I mean, it really is hard to believe that such a legend like Nimoy would pass. It's awful news for sure, and he will always be remembered.
Illiasc
Hero
Hero

Postby Ken Davis » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:59 pm

In truth, I suspected we'd see today earlier in the week. Nimoy was admitted to hospital with severe chest pains on Weds, I think. I felt then that his end would be near, and I'm deeply saddened to see that he passed today.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven"
Ecclesiastes 3 King James Version (KJV)
Ken Davis
Partner
Partner

Postby OneNineSix » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:59 pm

This is so completely heartbreaking. I grew up on a heavy diet of Star Trek and TNG. Spock was always so iconic. I can't believe we lost him.
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby Idiot Savant » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:06 pm

I was very surprised and saddened to hear this...RIP Mr. Nimoy
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Webslinger » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:26 am

We will all miss you... farewell my friend.
vulcan greeting.jpg
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Next

Return to General Discussions