Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Music Appreciation: New Wave

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Music Appreciation: New Wave

Postby FlókiXHarley Quinn™ » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:46 pm

No worries AD, there is also more recommendations like Buzzcocks which were still a punk band but they basically invented Power-Pop

And Nikki And The Corvettes which were again a more Power-pop band but also had the New Wave feeling to them as well.

I'll post more as i find it as well from YouTube.
Cheers Floki :)

The Offical sidekick of Harley :hq3grin: :hq2grin:
FlókiXHarley Quinn™
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doctor Fate » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:13 am

I have no knowledge of this kind of music.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby FlókiXHarley Quinn™ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:43 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:I have no knowledge of this kind of music.

New wave isn't for eveyone i prefer the earlier New Wave stuff such as Blondie, Talking Heads and the many underground scenes accross America and United Kingdom etc, before it got experimented with synthpop and other electronics.

FlókiXHarley Quinn™
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:46 pm

I enjoy the entire gamut of New Wave including the heavier electronic experimentation by pioneers like Gary Numan, Geoff Downes, Trevor Horn and Vince Clarke.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby secondwhiteline » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm

I guess I've always considered stuff in the Joy Division/Siouxsie/Stiv realm post-punk more than New Wave. If it has a harsher, more guitar-driven sound I generally put it in post-punk, but if it's synthier I think of it as New Wave. Cure kinda straddles the line for me. I love love love Siouxsie, and Cure can be hit or miss but Disintegration is legitimately one of the best albums in rock history. I'm a huge Motels fan, too.

Post-punk wise, I love The Raincoats, Marine Girls, Slits, Au Pairs.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby FlókiXHarley Quinn™ » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:37 am

secondwhiteline wrote:I guess I've always considered stuff in the Joy Division/Siouxsie/Stiv realm post-punk more than New Wave. If it has a harsher, more guitar-driven sound I generally put it in post-punk, but if it's synthier I think of it as New Wave. Cure kinda straddles the line for me. I love love love Siouxsie, and Cure can be hit or miss but Disintegration is legitimately one of the best albums in rock history. I'm a huge Motels fan, too.

Post-punk wise, I love The Raincoats, Marine Girls, Slits, Au Pairs.

Well I class Stiv, Sioux, Warsaw and some of Joy Division Punk, but the critics go around slamming strange styles on almost everything nowadays, for some reason they think One Direction is Pop Punk.

But Post-Punk did adapt from New Wave and Punk combinding both genres to form one, it's easier just to call it either Punk or New Wave, as Post-Punk people think the Cure is post-punk.

I only liked like one song from the raincoats the rest isn't my taste but Neo-boys from Portland is a good Punk band (Post-Punk) but back in the whole Portland punk scene people wore PJ's to the concerts and the Neo-Boys were classed Punk as they were one of the only 2 biggish bands to come out of Portland the other being The Wipers, there were a few others but they were manly bands who had one or 2 songs on comps by K Records.

Never got into the Slits.

FlókiXHarley Quinn™
Sidekick
Sidekick

Previous

Return to General Discussions