Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Toys R Us No More?

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

Toys R Us No More?

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:21 am

End of an era...

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-toys ... res-2018-3

The last of the toy stores appears to be finished. Just went yesterday and used up my Reward points and gift cards. I guess they will honor gift cards for the next 30 days and that's it.

I remember being a kid and there were two toy stores in the mall; Toys r Us and Child World were giant standalone toy stores of awesomeness. From bikes to trains to video games...

Then you had Hills, which is where the toys were if you didn't know. So much wonder to behold.

We didn't have a Walmart or Target, never heard of them. I know kids today, including mine, are more into video games and online stuff. It's sad. But it was only a matter of time.

RIP Toys R Us, Olympus has fallen.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Toys R Us No More?

Postby secondwhiteline » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:43 am

Honestly, it didn't have to be this way. That leveraged buyout in 2005 that saddled TRU with over $6 billion in other companies' debt was the beginning of the end. Now Bain Capital gets to liquidate TRU and clear its own debt off the books and leave in good health while thousands of people end up jobless.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:49 am

Bain is basically Jason Alexander in Pretty Woman. A pretty apt name.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:19 pm

I haven't seen Pretty Woman, but I can take a guess what the character's like just from the fact that it's Jason Alexander.

I always think of Ellis from Die Hard, myself.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Sadly, bubbie, they were not TRUs white knight. Actually, Bain is pretty much Hans Gruber and this time John Wayne doesn't appear to be riding into the sunset with Grace Kelly.

Bain also bought and ran Kaybee into the dust, top.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Webslinger » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:38 am

70 years of toys, gone... this was the last of the great toy stores and now what's gonna become of the toy industry now? Where will the planned exclusives go? Where will we be able to get SDCC exclusives at retail like TRU had? Where will all the smaller toy companies put their product at now? So many questions...
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby secondwhiteline » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:23 am

I'm guessing the answer will be some combination of company websites, BBTS, and (ugh) Amazon. Target seems to be picking up exclusives, too, especially for WWE.

I'm at the point where I'm mostly commissioning customs and doing dioramas and finishing up team displays. Going forward my attention is mostly on Friday the 13th from NECA, Mythic Legions, and some WWE. Mostly Asuka and Becky Lynch variants.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Webslinger » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:55 pm

I heard from a friend tonight that Kaybee toy and hobby is coming back with the news of TRU going out of business. anyone hear about that or know anything?
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:23 pm

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Webslinger wrote:I heard from a friend tonight that Kaybee toy and hobby is coming back with the news of TRU going out of business. anyone hear about that or know anything?

I can't see anyway another toy chain comes around at that size. I could see a KB sized toy store spring up, but that wouldn't be the same. There were so many things at TRU for adults and kids that I'm not sure we'll see again anywhere except online, and that's sad.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Next

Return to General Toy Discussions