Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling: Vintage & Classic times!

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Wrestling: Vintage & Classic times!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:51 am

So this is the talk of of vintage & classic wrestlers from as early as the 50s to the 80s + the early days hardcore wrestling! I loved wrestling from these times and especially the early days of hardcore! I put together all of the pics as a quick reference. Let's talk about the classic wrestlers & vintage hardcore wrestling from over the many decades. So who's your fave wrestler and share your thoughts & memories of these fun times!

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Wrestling: Vintage & Classic times!

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:32 pm

Coincidentally, I was flipping channels last night and if you have DirecTV on channel 623 (Eleven Sports Network) there was a show called Classic All-Star Wrestling. Sadly, it was only 30 minutes but it was edited for time so it wasn't complete matches and the visual quality was below even Youtube, but still, old wrestling matches. Last night they had Austin Idol and Jerry Lawler vs the Assassins as well as Nick Bockwinkle vs Bruiser Brody. It's a program from jarrettparsonswrestling.com. Afterwards they had some OVW stuff on which wasn't very good, but still fun to see stuff beyond the WWE machine.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:57 pm

I'm very big into older wrestling. I honestly don't get into the new stuff much except some indies here and there. I've been watching some Florida, Mid-South and World Class lately.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:24 am

AcidDragon wrote:I'm very big into older wrestling. I honestly don't get into the new stuff much except some indies here and there. I've been watching some Florida, Mid-South and World Class lately.

Yes, I prefer the older stuff too, just not from WWWF/WWF & the NWA/WCW but also from other feds like you mentioned but also I love the WWC, USWA, SMW, ECW among others from back long ago.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby OneNineSix » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:35 pm

I love old wrestling. Have you guys seen the Dark Side of the Ring documentaries?
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:09 pm

DotR is really good. Too bad it's on such a garbage channel. I know next season is going to have a Pillman episode.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:22 pm

I'm pretty sure the only reason that channel airs it is to try and make another American institution look bad.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:56 am

Yes guys, the DotR are really good. We could talk about that a lot :!:

Also, just wanna continue this. I love old school stuff other than WWF & NWA/WCW hence My pic, I love the WWC as well. I love the inspiration for ECW (original). I loved the fued between & Abdullah & the Brusier all over the place. There is a ton of other stuff we could talk about here...so much :o
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:16 pm

I always had a soft spot for WCCW. Being up in New York state, you didn't see much southern wrestling so it was always a treat when I came across it randomly on ESPN in the 80's. We had a weird TV set that only had like thirteen stations, but each station had a twisty knob you coudld fiddle with and it would received different channels, so as a 7 year old I never knew what I'd come across. We mostly got WWF and occassonally I'd find the AWA on TV.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:59 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:I always had a soft spot for WCCW. Being up in New York state, you didn't see much southern wrestling so it was always a treat when I came across it randomly on ESPN in the 80's. We had a weird TV set that only had like thirteen stations, but each station had a twisty knob you coudld fiddle with and it would received different channels, so as a 7 year old I never knew what I'd come across. We mostly got WWF and occassonally I'd find the AWA on TV.

Ah yes, I bet that was a treat for you thAt there was an alternative than the WWF. Yep, the WCCW! Remember Mercenary Jeep Swensen (No holds Barred & Batman & Robin and WCW Dungeon of Doom) and Nord the Barbarbian (The Viking/The Berzerker WWF) and the Dingo Warrior (The Ultimate Warrior) there? Heck there were many greats there. The AWA was great too. I actually think it was much better than what people thought it was/say. It really had some classic moments.

Thanks for the talk Packer :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Next

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc