Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Music Appreciation: Prog Rock

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Music Appreciation: Prog Rock

Postby FlókiXHarley Quinn™ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:07 am

Genre Name: Progressive Rock or Prog Rock

Where did it Originate from?: Mid - late 60's United States and United Kingdom.

Main Bands / Musicians: The Who, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, King Crimson, Sabre, Rush, Yes, Genesis, Marillion, Jethro Tull, Tool, Frank Zappa + Millions more.

Related Genres: Progressive Metal (Prog Rock invented Prog Metal), Kruatrock (Germany's Prog Rock), Psychedelic Rock (many Prog Rock bands perform both genres).

Small History / Overview.

Prog Rock began around the mid too late 60's with band's from United Kingdom and United States, Europe took alot of inspiration from these bands and formed there own styles such as Kruatrock in Germany, Zeuhl in France / Belguim and Italian Prog in Italy.

To this day many bands still perform progressive rock while some metal bands perform progressive metal, the main chartaristics include longer riffs and manly lyrics not starting in songs until 30 seconds too 1 minute, many progressive rock bands performed psychedelic rock since both grenres of music have similar length in songs. The only difference is that Psychedelic was influnced by drugs, progressive music was not.

By the 70's Prog rock was a very popular style of music and one man changed the tone of Prog Rock, he was Frank Zappa, known more as an experimental musican he would perform in his earlier career Progressive rock, he added a much more Jazzy sound to his songs with influnced the Krautrock scene.

Prog rock did full in popularity due to the rise of the Punk movement still there was hundreds too thousands of progressive rock bands, the form has a massive influnce in Progressive metal along with many new bands today.

Lets see what eveyone else thinks / share you favoutie song band or any information about a local scene.

Goblin - Aquaman (An Italian Prog band)

Cheers Floki :)

The Offical sidekick of Harley :hq3grin: :hq2grin:
FlókiXHarley Quinn™
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Music Appreciation: Prog Rock

Postby Doctor Fate » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:02 am

I was really into the Beatles and The Who ... The Who on a lesser scale. My oldest brother loved the Beatles and my favorite song was Hey Jude and Let it Be ... are my top 2 songs from the Beatles. The Who was a favorite band of another older brother and he was a distant brother to me and did not share much at all and I don't have a favorite song from that group at all. That's pretty much sums up my involvement in Prog Rock.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Sweet, another favourite genre of mine. Huge fan of Styx, Foreigner, Pink Floyd, Rush, REO Speedwagon, the Beatles, the Who and the like. I like this Goblin song you posted. It reminds me of a lot of Pink Floyd, the Who and Styx's extended instrumental stuff.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FlókiXHarley Quinn™ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Progressive is a great genre to this day it's still bands make records and cd's of progressive.

FlókiXHarley Quinn™
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doctor Fate » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:19 pm

My Top 10 ... No Particular Order

Beatles ... always Number 1.

The Rolling Stones
Queen
The Who
Blood, Sweat, and Tears
The Moody Blues
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Genesis
Led Zeppelin
Styx

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Excellent list, Doc!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FlókiXHarley Quinn™ » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:01 am

Great list

FlókiXHarley Quinn™
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:11 am

I've been chilling lately to some Dennis DeYoung. Truly, Styx was never the same after they replaced him with Gowan. Gowan is a talent in his own right which makes the change even more glaring. Still digging the Tommy Shaw songs, though.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Doctor Fate » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:21 am

Thanks Harley and Acid ...

Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Return to General Discussions