Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

3D Printers

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

3D Printers

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:43 pm

Anyone have any experience with these when it comes to customs? My birthday is in a few weeks and I asked my wife for a 3D printer. She told me to do some research and figure out which one I'd want, reasonably priced of course. Anyone have any recommendations?
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: 3D Printers

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:39 am

Yeah, I would go resin unless you don't mind doing a ton of sanding/post-finish. I have an FDM and a resin and the resin stinks when it's printing but the end results are super smooth and barely require any finishing. Brand-wise, this is just my personal opinion but almost anything between $200 to $9999 are going to yield similar results so don't be worried about going too cheap.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wally2974 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:58 pm

I got excited when I saw the topic "3-D Printers". I don't have a 3-D printer, but I was hoping someone could make a 3-D printed Baby Yoda from the Mandolorian TV series or has the files to make one(or a source for the files to make him).
wally2974
Hero
Hero

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:18 pm

I have seen 3D printed Baby Yodas on eBay, didn't look closely at them though since Hasbro will have them out in a few more months anyway. Shame there's barely anything out for the Mandalorian, and what it, you can't find anywhere.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Doctor Fate » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:51 am

I have a friend of mine that wanted one for his art hobby and looking for one in the past year and still haven't gotten the nerves to buy one because they are so darn expensive and looking for a very reliable one indeed ... Packer and I just wanted to let you know that I'm no help to him neither and I don't have a printer at home ... because I hate printing stuff and I take my stuff to Staples to get stuff printed because I don't want to deal with inks, paper, and whatnot.

I keep trying with my friend ... Packer and let you know what he ended up getting and all that.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Idiot Savant » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:41 pm

I am also terribly interested in tri-D printers...all we have is a laptop and a few iPads so I’m pretty behind the 8 ball on this topic
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Doctor Fate » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Still no response and still looking ... very difficult and tiring process to find the right one.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:05 am

They're all pretty decent. Just get a cheap one that has easy to use software.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Action Figure Customs