Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Are we heading toward a SuperClash?

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Are we heading toward a SuperClash?

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:43 pm

WARNING: THERE BE SLAMMIVERSARY SPOILERS AHEAD, MATEY!

Slammiversary was advertised as changing the world of wrestling. And on the surface, there was a lot of newsworthy events. There's been a buzz about the show for several months since he first wave of WWE releases 90 clauses expired just days prior to the event. Several matches had mystery opponents advertised, and some were expected, others were surprising, and the final surprise was something completely unexpected, but makes me wonder if we may just be heading toward a SuperClash type supercard.

For those that aren't familiar, SuperClash was a series of wrestling shows promoted by the AWA between 1985 and 1990, often co-promoted with other North American wrestling promotions. The first in 1985 took place in Chicago at Commiskey Park and saw matches involving wrestlers from the AWA, NWA, WCCW, as well as IWA Champ Mil Mascaras, and Japanese stars Jumbo Tsuruta, Giant Baba and Genichiro Tenryu crossing the Pacific to appear.

So last night saw Matt Cardona team with his finance Chelsea Green to defeat Brian Myers and Tenille Dashwood. Later, in the Women's Title match we saw the surprise appearance of Thunderosa to challenge the champ but she ultimately came up short. Personally, I was expecting Mickie James, so Thunderosa was a cool, unexpected surpise. And it was great match. But then as Deonna was celebrating in the ring, Hardcore Country hit and out came Mickie James. James invited Purazzo to appear at the NWA all-women's show Empowerrr that takes place in August. Purazzo was none to pleased with the interupption but left the ring after received a Mick Kick to the jaw.

Other surprises saw an appearance by No Way (formerly No Way Jose)and FinnJuice.

Finally, the main event so a brutal no DQ match between the Best Bout Machine Kenny Omega and Sami Callihan. Omega would eventually retain and the new Impact tag champs the Good Bros. would come to the ring to help celebrate. But suddenly the Bullet Club music hit and out stepped NEVER Openweight champion, and current Bullet Club leader Jay White and the show ended with a stare down in the ring between White and Omega.

Now, Omega and White have a history in NJPW, and if you're the belt collector, and someone with a belt steps up to you, then it would seem to be building toward something. Omega for his part being the heel, said afterwards that he has no interest in another match with the Switchblade after losing to him in 2018, which is exactly what you'd want a heel champ to say.

In recent years it was said there was some heat between Impact and the NWA, but with the appearance of Rosa and Mickie, it would appear that some sort of agreement has been reach. So now you've got NJPW, AEW, Impact, and NWA wrestlers appearing in each others shows and it makes me wonder where all this is leading?

In fact, it made me recall an interview NWA owner Billy Corgan gave to Busted Open Radio back in June:

“First of all, and I feel like the little guy running around ringing the bell. It’s gonna be a hot second here, but pretty quickly, all the non WWE forces out there are going to figure out, if they work together, you can topple the giant. Now you might not topple them to the ground, but you can bring them to the knee. And that has not been a possibility for over twenty years. It’s been twenty plus years since the WWE had real competition. Now if you want to say AEW vs. WWE I can respect that, but I think WWE would beg to differ on the bottom line part of it all. But if you want to talk about a public perception, where you let this wrestling revolution of the last five years really kick in...And suddenly you can offer fans matchups that are complete dream matchups, and can rival WrestleMania on any given night? I think it will blow this industry wide apart, in a good way.

“And I think Tony Khan is very smart. He’ll figure that out pretty soon. Now he might be in the catbird seat and think he doesn’t need anybody, but I think he’s going to quickly figure out if he can get everybody under the same tent, and he’s got a lot of people under the same tent already. I’m working with Tony, Impact’s working with Tony, New Japan’s working with Tony. I don’t think there’s any hostility between Tony and Ring of Honor. You put all the non WWE players at the table and one night, how does the world not stop and watch for that one night? That’s a mind blowing concept that wouldn’t have been possible five years ago.”

So could we see something like that? I mean, AEW was born from the fiery embers of just such a show. Could you imagine a card like that? Let your fantasy booking imagination run wild. Omega vs White, Moxley vs Calihan, Rhodes vs Aldis III, The Elite vs the Bullet Club, Jericho vs Okada, Thunderosa vs Britt Baker vs Deonna Purazzo...the matchups are endless.

And it may just be sooner then we all think. And if not, fantasy booking has been a fun part of wrestling for ages. We never really got Flair vs Hogan or Sting vs Taker, but isn't it fun to imagine the possibilities?

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Are we heading toward a SuperClash?

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:02 am

I was meaning to post here before, just haven't had the chance.

Seemed like a great show Packer. Truth is I haven't faithfully kept up with TNA Impact for a long while, basically years. I was a huge TNA fan in the early 2010s. When they left Spike & Destination America in around 2014 I couldn't watch them anymore because of the cable company the didn't carry them anymore on the new channel. Since then I just watch clips and read results of the current matches and happenings if I'm really interested or need to know something for whatever reason. I might have to check this new stuff out whenever I get the chance.

I see all of these companies have crossed over and seem good..I just have My doubts that they could pull something so huge off, bring down WWE to its knees and the majority of the situation's status would be satisfactory. One thing that that get's Me about recent events like this (yesteryear's did much better) is matches we had before like Thunderosa and Baker, sure it would be great but save that for an AEW show, not a epic spectacular like that could happen. I mean we see rematches and faces vs. heels all the time especially in WWE and rarely the opposite and IMO it get's really staled that it happens and they don't go the route that could have been thus making a lot of people disappointed because its the same old thing, I mean I love it when they go outside the realm a bit and have different things that we never saw before and could only do in a 2K game.

Oh I remember the AWA & WCCW, great moments. Dude, what do you mean we never got Flair vs. Hogan :?: They fought each other in the WWF (I saw them live when I was much younger in 91 at a house show...(say, that gives Me an idea :idea: soon I could post about that in the WWF section, yeah, yeayeah yeah!) they also fought each other in WCW many times in singles matches, in fact Hogan's very first WCW match was against Flair at Bash at the Beach in 1994 where he won the world title and would keep it for a long time...Oh I remember all the hype when they first signed him!

Thanks for sharing the great review and all Packer :D
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:50 pm

Yeah, there's a lot of egos involved with something like this when company A think their guy should go over company B's guy, so even if they just booked it as an AEW match followed by an NWA match followed by an Impact match and just avoided too many crossovers (though I think something like Cody vs Aldis would work) could make it a better possibility. Still, it's fun to think of the matchups. Even if they don't do something that big, the crossovers still makes for interesting tv.

I know Flair and Hogan fought, but not when everyone was expecting at WrestleMania VII(?) I think. It's a shame, really. By the time they went back to WCW everyone was a few years older, Hogan didn't look quite the same anymore, and WCW just didn't have the fanbase the WWF had back then, so it isn't what everyone really wanted. Sting vs Taker in 2018 would've been ok, but people wannted Sting vs Taker in like 2003 when both guys were still mostly in their prime. Sometimes it's just about the timing. I wonder if we'll ever get the real truth on why Hogan-Flair didn't happen in '91, because I've heard several stories but no definitive reason.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:47 am

All what you said on first paragraph is good. You are right, any crossover would be very fun indeed. Yes, I don't know why there wasn't an actual program with Hogan and Flair. They just fought like at special events. It got switched when the unthinkable happen at the 92 Rumble when Flair won the title and the incident happen with Hogan and Sid. At Wrestlmania 8 1992 is when Flair fought Macho and Hogan fought Sid but that feud was
questionable as well because Hogan and Sid left the WWF right after that.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:53 pm

If I had to guess, it'd be egos. Probably Hogan, but who knows. Flair always seemed more willing to do the job for other wrestlers than Hogan. But if you're those two guys at that moment, everyone either thinks Hogan is the greatest or Flair is the greatest, so I could see one or both not wanting to lose to the other.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc