Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Is WM 38 more STUPENDOUS than THIS?

Here's the place to run wild with Hulkamania, share some Attitude, or drop your Ruthless Aggression. Then. Now. Forever.

Is WM 38 more STUPENDOUS than THIS?

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:47 am

So I have been thinking about this for quite a while now, months really about Wrestlemania 38 as this week is now Wrestlemania week with NXT Stand & Deliver, Hall of Fame and WM 2 days in a row this coming weekend :o How they are bragging that the Lesnar & Roman main event - TITLE FOR TITLE will be the greatest WM match in history and how the event is everything in of every word that is good especially STUPENDOUS! I thought last years's was the greatest and especially the P!d3mic WM was? They say this every year but they are making this year's WM to be like the greatest event ever seen from any sport, I mean it's ridicules how much they have been hyping it up :shock:

Now, what I want is for you PB, Acid and whomever else to watch these short clips. I know you haven't been watching WWE much at all PB but that's why I'm doing it in short. Now see these clips..

BIGGER

STUPENDOUS

LESNAR & REIGNS

So, I got the hint of Lesnar vs. Reigns 1 a few years trying to be as a epic as Hulk Hogan & The Ultimate Warrior way back at Wrestlemania 6 but it was so bittersweet. Now, here we are again, a rematch or epic proportions and this is REALLY, REALLY reminding Me of the title for title match of The Ultimate Warrior vs. Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemani 6 in 1990 but IMO 2022's WM 38 or much of years recently in the WWE doesn't have the charisma, magic and intensity that WM6 had :!:

OK, now here is the HUGE, DYNAMIC moment of the year, one of My most faves of ever, of all-time! It was the WWF Royal Rumble 1990...I just loved it, My Grandpa PoPo was so excited about it as well. You hear Jesse and his great commentary and yes that's AEW's TONY SCHIAVONE in one of his only appearances in the WWF as he jumped ship from the NWA/WCW and quickly went back there in only months time :o Listen to their commentary, it was GOLD! This was the first time that Hogan & The Warrior came face to face with each other and it was such a rarity that the company's 2 biggest babyfaces at the time were to meet each other one on one and have a future feud with each other (Hogan & Macho doesn't count, Macho was full blown heel at WM5) :o

Now, since you watched that, as you know I was talking about Buster Douglas and talked about his great Sega Genesis Game and had been thinking about his awesome time on WWF Saturday Night's Main Event in February of 1990 (if you can see the whole thing do it, it's so superb with so much history as they talked about Douglas knocking out Tyson and all of that great classic stuff an done of the greatest & funnest WWF SNME ever seen). This was still during a time when sports were actually really fun the way they were filmed and to watch them seemed special and it really was engaging to keep up with as heights, weights, stats and more actually mattered. Athletes were so cool and some were quite unusual in appearance & otherwise as well which made it even more exciting quite frankly. 1990 was a huge wrestling year and for Me as well. This was the first true road to Wrestlemania 6 and WM in general believe you Me :wwhuh: :smgasp: :batshock: :o :)

From the same event, The Warrior takes on Dino Bravo with Earthquake. Hogan comes to the rescue for the Warrior and the match builds up even further :!:

Here is the contract signing between The Warrior & Hogan, this was one of the first televised ones liked this ever!

Here is the great build of their match, now that's how you hype up a tremendous main event :batgrin:

And here is the epic climax of their match at WM6. Note how sweaty and exhausted they are, the match was about 30 MINUTES :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: My Grandpa PoPo just loved this whole thing :)

So, with all of that being said, watched and known...is this year's WM 38 more STUPENDOUS, great and everything esle more than My favorite one WM6. Is the Lesnar & Reigns feud bigger and more grand than the Warrior & Hogan one? Be the judge here :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Is WM 38 more STUPENDOUS than THIS?

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:37 pm

I'm sure it'll be a good match, I just don't care about Lesnar vs Reigns. How many times have we seen that now? Oh, Lesnar is the face now. Yawn. The rest of the card isn't that exciting either. I haven't watch much WWE all year. I caught some of Becky's promo from Monday, thought it was pretty cringe. She went from a badass Stone Cold type character to this forced heel persona that just comes off as a cartoony caricature of what a villain should be like. There wasn't anything natural about it. I was going to skip it again this year but my son asked about it, so who knows. Maybe I'll sign up for a free month from my wife's email this year.

Not even that interested in Steve Austin coming back, because what's it really matter? Maybe they should stop relying on returns and part-timers and do a better job of making the secondary belts and mid-card wrestlers matter more instead of celebrities.

Stupendous? Not at all. I'm sure they'll put on a good show, but like most WWE in recent years, it'll be mostly forgettable five minutes after it's over/
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:48 pm

Yeah, Lesnar has been the babyface ever since he returned, I can't believe how the fans are to him now and why :batconfused: :wwhuh: :smhuh: Yeah and Becky saying how she sold her soul over and over again :? I have been hearing so much of that elsewhere :roll: Yeah, that's the problem, you forget about the event the next day where events like the classic stuff that i showed you remember it like forever because it was that darn good, fun & memorable :!:

Well, if your kids want it and really interested then why not, it'll get them into something entertaining for a while and keep in mind its 2 days in a row :!:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:24 pm

Yeah, I'll probably get it because my son brought it up and is excited for it. It's like the Super Bowl, I guess, even if you don't watch football all year it's still an event people check out. I don't know about stupendous, but whenever I tune in lately what I see does start with s-t-u-p...
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:29 pm

Yeah, I just don't watch any new wrestling at all these days. I probably should but it feels like I would have too much to catch up on. I have piles and piles of old material to watch, a lot of it I've never seen before. I guess I'm on a bit more of a retro kick. The only reason Wrestlemania excites me this year is because it coincides with wrestling figure reveals. :smlol:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:32 pm

I watch AEW weekly and Impact from time to time. I can't watch much WWE without feeling bored. I put it on a week or so ago and Seth and Owens were arguing about who got to interview Stone Cold at WrestleMania until Sonya Deville game out and announced they would have a main event match to determine it, and first of all, that's such a dumb angle, but what was worse was you'd swear from the crowd noise that the home team just won the Super Bowl only every person in the crowd on screen weren't even clapping or yelling. It was so fake; I couldn't believe they still pump in fake crowd noises but that's what it looked like from the crowd they showed.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:40 pm

Acid - I know your more retro. When you did stop watching modern wrestling or what era? Was WCW already gone :?: What do you think about the classic events that I think was the biggest & best one? Did you compare how great it was then compared to today's stuff :?: Tell Me dude :)

PB - I know, some of this stuff in WWE seems so mindless and like I said before, they have lost logic long ago. Yep, they still add in crowd noises, they started that long ago...they still can do even on live shows :roll: Well, I guess a lot of people are the same way and watch it that way and have no actual passion about it...I mean it's not like when I was a kid that it was something so engaging you never wanted to stop, you wanted to get to know all of these cool guys & women and boy when you found out about the competition (I referencing when I found WCW just a bit after WWF way back when) it was even more fun but that was then and now is just not the same on multiple levels :roll: :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:39 am

I think the earliest I can remember watching wrestling as it aired on TV and remembering it was around 1988-89 so a lot later than a lot of you. I remember seeing the Road Warriors as Legion of Doom on WWF TV and they didn't get there until around 1990 so that's my anchor for when I started. If I watched any wrestling before that, I don't remember it. Hulkamania was beginning to wind down and many attempts were made to pass the torch. The first PPV event I remember seeing was Summerslam 1992 but unfortunately, I was only able to see a few of the matches at the time. I became a huge fan of the WWF and later WCW when I had access to TBS which was in the early 90s as well. I got caught up as much as I could through video rentals and VHS tapes of events and started watching a bit of territory stuff when it was available by rental. My era was the tail end of Hulkamania and the New Generation and the Attitude Era and the WCW stuff that overlapped these eras.

The WWF and WCW got me more interested in Japanese and Mexican wrestling after seeing their imports. When we started getting internet at home, I connected with someone who owned a Japanese wrestling online video store. He sent me tons of content in exchange for IT work and I became the kid at school who had access to all these crazy Japanese and Lucha tapes. I got to see the overlap of the nWo stuff going on in New Japan as well as TAKA Michinoku, Hakushi and Kaientai's stuff going on in Michinoku Pro. I also started getting into a lot of All Japan Wrestling which featured many wrestlers who I was familiar with like Stan Hansen, Mike Rotunda, Dr. Death Steve Williams, Bart Gunn, Johnny Ace, Corporal Kirschner (as Leatherface), Terry Gordy, etc. I was also introduced to the world of deathmatches.

It helped that at the time, I was already playing some of the 1990s incarnations of Fire Pro Wrestling so many of these international stars were featured in the game already like Liger, Kenta Kobashi, Hercules, Chris Benoit, Dynamite Kid, Stan Hansen, Undertaker, etc.

It was a lot of stuff to keep track of and watch. Eventually, I found myself getting more and more into the Japanese stuff and less into what was going on in the WWF. I hated DX, I hated Shawn Michaels and Triple H. I was a Bret Hart guy and it felt like he was misused in WCW. I don't want to get into the screwjob because I know that's a divisive thing and that's irrelevant anyway. Then Owen (who was my favorite star in the WWF at the time) died. I was kind of into the Brood thing and the stuff they had leading up to the tail end of the Attitude Era but they killed it all for me after everything just became comedy. They bought WCW and ECW and the Ruthless Aggression era began. My friends were getting more and more into the WWF/WWE but I was getting less and less interested.

I was getting really disinterested in the WWE offerings and had zero interest in the Divas. I didn't like Lita's wrestling, it always looked sloppy to me. Ivory was great and Trish Stratus showed a lot of promise but the women's division was always sidetracked with stuff like Miss Kitty and whatever other T&A thing they had going on. I was just not at all interested in Edge and Christian's new heel comedy stuff. I didn't want to see bra and panty matches. I didn't care for the Mae Young Sexual Chocolate angle. I kept watching here and there but I just either hated everything I saw or was indifferent. I was watching a little bit of ROH and TNA but largely abandoned WWE. At some point, I also abandoned Japanese wrestling. They tried to adopt WWE's sports entertainment approach and the workmanship just wasn't there anymore and I hated or was indifferent about all the new gimmicks and angles. I pretty much was barely watching when Cena became their guy and pretty much not at all now. I couldn't tell you who 90% of the roster is now.

You have some great event highlights there. For me, the best WWF events were Royal Rumble 1993 and 1994, Survivor Series 1993 and 1994, King of the Ring 1993 and 1994, Wrestlemania 4, 9 and 10. Summerslam was largely forgettable for me.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:36 am

Wow, Acid, great stuff here :) First you KNOW how huge I was on Owen & Yokozuna in My Grandma's MiMi's tribute!

Cool, sounds like you had fun with your friend there, congrats ;)

1990 wasn't a bad time to get into wrestling, that was really good then. I remember the LOD debuting in the WWF then, it was awesome! I loved WCW too. I don't blame you about the Attitude era. I had mixed emotions too and it was kinda hard to get adjusted to it because I was so used to the classic era. The women stuff didn't bother Me really, I thought it fun but I couldn't stand The King's puppies crap, I thought that was so stupid, just say boobs for cryin' out loud :x But now though a lot of times I want the Attitude era back but the way everything has become just not in wrestling but in life in general it's just not possible, this society, times and TPTB just doesn't allow it :roll: Oh I was the same way, I wanted to see the ECW, Lucha, Japanese and especially the WWC, they were My faves!

Well, there's no comparison from yesterday and today's wrestling believe Me. They try so hard to make it as good as the old days and make it out like its so good and this guy is so big and your supposed to forget that was actually bigger guys and forget about the past and stuff, it's just not the same. It's exciting and stuff to watch but don't expect to get all thrilled with nostalgia anytime soon.

Thanks Acid. Well, I just finished up a Wrestlemaina Moments special with some of those years you just mentioned, I'm gonna post it now in this section, check it out soon when you can ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Return to WWF/WWE/NXT