Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Cooperstown & The Savannah Bananas

Post special events like conventions, online events, get togethers, etc.

Re: Cooperstown & The Savannah Bananas

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:53 pm

So, I was watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond today where he goes to the Baseball Hall of Fame and I realized I never finished posting pics from our visit last year. All the holidays took over the forum and it slipped my mind. So here's the first set of images from the Hall. I'll post probably two more installments, more random stuff, and then finally a bunch of the plaques. I guess with the MLB season starting it's as good a time as any to share. Enjoy!

hImage
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:56 pm

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:43 am

Wow, I've been waiting for more of your trip PB :) Great pics, their really big so you can see all the details...I like that cause you know with My pics I always say click them in a new tab to see the maximum details :) There was so much baseball history there PB but gosh the one that hit Me the most was Mark McGwire, I didn't expect that :shock: That whole display was great and that was a great portrait they chose of him cause Mark really could get some great expressions on his face which is one of the many factors I loved about him. Of course they had to mention about the steroids :roll: I like I said, I didn't care about it just like with wrestling...I want the entertainment :batwink: Mark truly changed the way I looked at baseball which was such great times for Me. These were very nice PB, thanks for sharing again :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:31 pm

You're welcome. Some of the pics I took were with you in mind, if I saw Big Mac I had to take a photo. I mean, I could've taken 100s of pictures and not gotten everything, but I tried to get what I thought was neat. One of my favorite things was that last image of cards "improved" by kids, that gave me such a chuckle and was just a small display, but unexpected. I'll post the next set soon when I have some time.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:25 am

Well thanks PB, I appreciate that very much :) Oh I'm sure there's a ton of stuff that you could have taken pics of as that place looked like so much fun :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:24 pm

Indeed. The Bananas were actually inducted into the Hall on Friday, but we didn't get into town until late Friday. But you can see the display for them towards the end here.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:29 am

Good for the Bananas :) All of that is unbelievable PB, great job there at capturing that history and wonderful displays in person especially of Fred McGriff and unexpected Field of Dreams :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:39 pm

Yes, the movie section was a neat surprise. So much cool memorabilia. And you could watch the entire Who's on First skit, which is still amazing and hilarious all these years later.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:33 am

Huh, well that sounds very exciting PB and yes, your right about that :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:52 am

Ok, here's the last set of images, the actual Hall of Fame plaque section. They sell a postcard of basically every players plaque in the gift shop. I remember being a kid in about 1990 and getting a couple postcards of like Mickey Mantle and a few other big names but none of the players I had actually watched play were in there yet. Boy, has that changed in 30 years, lol. Obviously, I didn't take a picture of every player, just names I found interesting. One of the things I really like was seeing the player's full name. I remember as a kid looking at card backs and seeing their full names like Leonard Kyle Dysktra. I remember one of my friend's favorite players was Will "The Thrill" Clark, and then we found out what his middle name was...

They had a cool couple kiosks where you could design your own plaque with your names, and fill in some stats and facts about you and have it created. There was a long line of kids waiting to do them, so my son made one for himself, but I didn't do one for me, lol.

I didn't take a wide shot of the rooms, so here's a couple images I found online first.

And that's all of it. It's an amazing little town. If you're a fan of baseball and ever have the chance to get out there, I highly recommend it. It's such a nice place in the summer tucked between some mountains and just fun place for anyone who loves baseball, history, or even Americana in general. I'm sure w'll go there again someday so it isn't super faraway. And if you never get there, hopefully my photos helped paint a picture of what I consider to be the best sports Hall of Fame.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Special Events