Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Transformers R.E.D.

Everybody's favourite robots in disguise... GOBOTS! Just kidding.

Transformers R.E.D.

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:41 am

Anyone collecting these? I guess they're supposed to be like ML/Black Series type TRA figures. Now, I've not really followed Transformers much since the 80's cartoon. I mean, I saw the first couple crappy Bay movies but they didn't really do much for me. And as far as toys, I had a bunch of the Gen1 stuff as a kid, but never really looked at much since the 80s, The idea of transforming toys doesn't do much for me as a collector, I just want them to look cool and have reasonable articulation. So these guys at $20 are kind of tempting me. I love that they look just like the cartoon and don't need to be made to transform. I had Megatron as a kid, and even though he was cool (and heavy) he didn't look anything like the cartoon. These guys do, and they're scratching at a nostalgia itch for me that is really making me think of picking these guys up. Just the ones that are from the 80's cartoon would interest, I never watched Beast Wars or any of the other cartoons that came after the original so they'd be easy passes for me. And I'm thinking that these guys might look neat alongside 3.75 Joes.

Just curious if anyones bought some at what they thought of them.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Transformers R.E.D.

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:42 pm

Oh yeah. I'm definitely in for the regular G1 cast.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 1987olds442 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:24 pm

I have the first three, but I haven't opened them yet. Unfortunately all the figures are all going to be exact same size. G1 Bumblebee is the same height as Prime and Megatron.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:00 pm

Really? That's a little disappointing. THey mix heights with ML and SW.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:21 pm

Although, height isn't a deal breaker for me. Yeah, I know Bumblebee should be smaller, but it wouldn't bother me if they're all the same size as opposed to say, Wolverine and Colossus being the same size. Think I'll pick these up for my 3.75 Joes. May need to make an Old Snake custom (not paying ebay prices for one).
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:12 pm

Ok, so I picked up Megatron and Soundwave today, they didn't have Prime. I opened up Megatron. Intial thoughts, I kind of dig these. I wish they were maybe slightly bigger, but they definitely have the blocky, Rubix Cube, 80's robot feel to them. The articulation is pretty good, and the appearance is spot on to the cartoon. I can hear Megatron's voice just looking at this guy. The extra hands and stuff are cool too, but...and this is a huge BUT...how in the hell do you make Soundwave and not include Ravage or Laserbeak? Ok, well Rumble, Buzzsaw, Frenzy...so maybe there's a pack in the future, but nothing? One? I really hope they have a set of cassettes (Dad, what's a ca-ssette?) planned. Yeah, he comes with a cassette, but I needs me some Ravage.

Will definitely pickup Prime, Bumblebee and Starscream. Not sure how deep I'll go, but it will definitely be restricted to just the 80s cartoon/movie cast. I know absolutely nothing about the other shows and have zero interest in them. Defintely need Prowl, Hound, Jazz, Grimlock, Shockwave, Skywarp, Thundercracker, just to name a few. Not sure what if they'd do larger things like Devastator, not sure I'd want to pay for them either, lol. But I'll pick up what catches my fancy.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:46 pm

Thanks for reviewing these, olds and PB. You've sold me on Prime, Megatron and Soundwave. I'll probably pass on the smaller guys like Bumblebee since I'm a scale nut. I might get Bumblebee, though, since he's one of my favourites. Do the cassettes that come with Soundwave actually transform or fit into his chest? In fact, does that even open up?

I hear ya on Old Snake. I hate that he comes with those extra Transformers figures that I don't need and the lot is pretty price prohibitive.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:38 pm

I don't believe the cassette transforms, but the chest does open (as does OPs) and the cassette fits inside. He also comes with a swappable button pushing finger hand. Honestly, I'd be totally cool with getting Starscream and calling it a day, but would probably pick up others. Ow I want to watch season 1 of the cartoon.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:00 pm

That's so cool. That's honestly all I needed to know to pick that one up. I hope they do do some scaled down miniature figures of the cassettes. I'd love a Laserbeak to rest on his shoulder but I guess nothing's stopping me from using actual G1 cassettes.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:24 pm

Picked up Optimus today. Still digging these, and they don't seem too hard to find so far, which is bonus these days. Man, can't wait for Starscream.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Transformers