Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

1987olds442's: Merged/Smart Hulk - The Professor pg33

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: 1987olds442's: Storm pg23

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed May 30, 2018 9:22 pm

Slick customs and I REALLY like what you did on the Ares C&C
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Re: 1987olds442's: Ultraverse Prime pg25

Postby 1987olds442 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:29 am

Hey everyone... I have absent from the customizing scene for a good while. While getting to work from home this year I was able to get back into customizing. And during this time, I finally got around to making some customs that I have wanted to make for a longtime.

One of the things that put this custom on the back burner for a long time was finding the right base body to start with. And then they finally made a body that I thought would work perfect for the character, the Caliban BAF.

First up is a custom of my favorite Ultraverse character Prime.

The head is a Hyperion casting that I got glassman customs to enlarge, but I did have to re-sculpt the back of the head/hair a little and fit it to the body using o-rings. I also added some epoxy behind the ears until it was enlarged I never noticed how thin the Hyperion ears were. The hands are from 1/6th scale Deadpool that I bought off ebay which worked out great, but I did have to thicken the peg with superglue and baking soda. The feet are from a Marvel Select Colossus. To make the smaller feet look right I had to dremel down the lower legs. I used styrene and epoxy to sculpt the armor, gauntlets, and boots. I used Caliban's wristbands as a base for the gauntlets, so they are still removable. I ordered the cape from gpslot on ebay. I attached the cape by I embedding magnets into the shoulders, and glueing some magnets to the cape. This way the cape can be removable.

Overall I am really happy with how it has turned out.

It's Prime Time!

Last edited by 1987olds442 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Re: Re: 1987olds442's: Ultraverse Prime pg25

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:37 am

Spot on. Looks great. I remember what a big deal Ultraverse was back in the day, but couldn't tell you a single, solitary story I actually remember, lol. No love for Mantra?
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:58 pm

Welcome back, olds! Wow.This is one gorgeous custom. The paint apps look super clean. What paints do you use??
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 1987olds442 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:44 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:Spot on. Looks great. I remember what a big deal Ultraverse was back in the day, but couldn't tell you a single, solitary story I actually remember, lol. No love for Mantra?

Thanks :smgrin: Oh Mantra is definitely on my list. I'm also gathering parts to redo all of my previous Ultraverse characters that I made using DCUC bodies to upgrade them using Marvel Legends bodies.

1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby 1987olds442 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:57 pm

AcidDragon wrote:Welcome back, olds! Wow.This is one gorgeous custom. The paint apps look super clean. What paints do you use??

Thank you very much, and it's good to be back :smgrin: To start off I use a Tamiya white primer, for color I use both Testor's Model Master acrylics and Citadel acrylics. To seal my paints I use Testor's spray lacquers... for different finishes I use dullcoat, semi-gloss, and gloss coat. For the skin tone it's a custom mix of various Testor's, and I just eyeball it and paint samples until I get it just right.

I'm actually making three of Prime's forms from the comics. Premiere Prime this one, Rogue Prime, and his Final Form.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Re: 1987olds442's: Ultraverse Prime pg25

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:54 pm

Ho-ly freaking moley...I don’t have any attachment to these comics, but I am familiar with them...I can’t say how impressed I am with all of these

Way to come back strong with a vengeance..welcome back man
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby 1987olds442 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Next up is Black Widow.

With all of the Marvel Legends Black Widow figures I still wasn't happy with any of them completely. A lot of them have had some good elements to them, so I decided to make an amalgam of them to create a more athletic looking Black Widow use parts in my fodder box. I can't stand the super skinny legs that Hasbro likes to use on a lot of their female characters. To me character like Black Widow should be pretty muscular especially since she is a Super Soldier like Captain America.

Recipe: The upper torso and forearms are from the retro BW; the head, stingers, weapons, and belt are from the Deadly Origin BW; Rider series BW hands; lower torso and hips are from the TRU comic Shuri Black Panther; jacket and upper arms are from the retro Dazzler; and the legs are from the Target 3 pack Ms Marvel.

I did have to dremel the outer diameter of the Ms Marvel thighs down some to match up to the Shuri hips. After that I painted everything a semi-gloss black to make all the color uniform, and finally I applied a wash to the jacket.

Last edited by 1987olds442 on Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:58 pm

Wow, that is so cool, man. I love it.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:50 pm

This is really, beautifully well done...very nice look for her and the belt details are wicked clean!
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs