Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

1987olds442's: Merged/Smart Hulk - The Professor pg33

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: 1987olds442's: Ultraverse Prime pg25

Postby wally2974 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:44 pm

Olds, your custom Ultraverse Prime is beyond awesome!! He came out so clean, crisp and professional looking. I really like how you sculpted the "P" logo into his chest. How is it that no toy company has scooped up the rights to produce figures, like that???! Maybe someone needs to do a Kickstarter for those.
Your Black Widow came out sick, too. Are the Bucky Cap/Winter Soldier figures totally custom, too? Tell us more about those.
wally2974
Hero
Hero

Postby 1987olds442 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:41 am

AcidDragon wrote:Wow, that is so cool, man. I love it.

Thank you :smgrin:
Idiot Savant wrote:This is really, beautifully well done...very nice look for her and the belt details are wicked clean!

Thank you very much :batgrin:
wally2974 wrote:Olds, your custom Ultraverse Prime is beyond awesome!! He came out so clean, crisp and professional looking. I really like how you sculpted the "P" logo into his chest. How is it that no toy company has scooped up the rights to produce figures, like that???! Maybe someone needs to do a Kickstarter for those.

Thank you so much, I've been work on making an alternate smiling head for Prime. I've been experimenting with molding and casting. I made a mold of one of my last enlarged Hyperion head, and a mold of a All Might figurine's head. Then I spliced them together. Then I made a mold of that combined head.

Unfortunately, the rights for the Ultraverse characters are a mess. Marvel owns a good chunk of the rights, but the original creators also own part, but that's not all of it.

Marvel editor-in-chief Joe Quesada: wrote:
Let's just say that I wanted to bring these characters back in a very big way, but the way that the deal was initially structured, it's next to impossible to go back and publish these books.

There are rumors out there that it has to do with a certain percentage of sales that has to be doled out to the creative teams. While this is a logistical nightmare because of the way the initial deal was structured, it's not the reason why we have chosen not to go near these characters, there is a bigger one, but I really don't feel like it’s my place to make that dirty laundry public.
WIP-Prime-head-01.jpg
WIP-Prime-head-02.jpg
Prime-Heads.jpg
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Winter Soldier

Postby 1987olds442 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:48 am

wally2974 wrote:Your Black Widow came out sick, too. Are the Bucky Cap/Winter Soldier figures totally custom, too? Tell us more about those.

Just the mashup Winter Soldier is a custom. A while back I got a couple of Bucky Cap bodies missing arms heads and accessories in a parts lot. I had some parts of a movie Winter Soldier in my fodder box along with a head from casting from casting cave, so I thought it would be cool to make a mashup of his Captain America uniform and Winter Soldier kind like a what if type of look. The other Winter Soldier is a newer Marvel Legends figure from the Black Window movie wave. I did have to touch up the domino mask the paint was pretty sloppy from the factory.

Winter Soldier

1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Webslinger » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:39 pm

WOW that Winter Soldier and US Agent look amazing!!!
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby wally2974 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Wow, I had no idea that Marvel had the rights to those Ultraverse characters, no less, how complicated the ownership had become. I thought those creators started their own comic company because they were pissed off about working for and being controlled by the huge comic book companies(DC & Marvel).....Anddd, then, they turn around and sell the rights(or at least part of it) to Marvel.
The Frankenstein'd, smiling Prime face came out pretty flawless. He looks great! That seems like a long and difficult process to do and pull off, to get it to look cohesive. Casting, splicing,and re-casting.
Thanks for the behind-the-scenes and extra pictures of your custom Winter Solder Cap. He is very well done and it's a cool what-if concept.
wally2974
Hero
Hero

Beta Ray Bill

Postby 1987olds442 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:08 pm

This was a quick little project. I had an extra classic Beta Ray Bill and a new one, so I decided to take the boots off the classic and put them on the newer one. It makes the newer one a little less plain looking and gives it a little extra height. Now it scales with the 80th anniversary Thor better as well.

1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Re: 1987olds442's: Beta Ray Bill pg26

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:22 pm

Wow, this looks WAAAY better than the original. Nice job, man.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1987olds442's: Beta Ray Bill pg26

Postby 1987olds442 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:39 pm

AcidDragon wrote:Wow, this looks WAAAY better than the original. Nice job, man.

1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Lobo's Bike

Postby 1987olds442 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:44 pm

Here is something that I've been wanting to do for a long while, and finally got around to doing this summer. I've had this old DC Direct Lobo bike for years, but I never displayed it because it was ridiculously short. Now that I we have the DC Multiverse Lobo I finally decided to work on stretching out the bike to fit the newer figure. The new parts were made using styrene sheets and rods that includes tank and handlebars extensions, foot rest, etc. I also figured since I was scratch building the extension I might as well make the front forks move instead of being in a fixed position. Nothing was planned I was just free building. After finishing up the fabrication I paint the new parts with model masters steel then applied a wash over that. I printed up some decals on waterslide decal paper. Then weathered them with the rest of the bike.

1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Re: 1987olds442's: Lobo's Bike pg26

Postby Webslinger » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:35 pm

That bike and Beta Ray Bill look faaaaaantastic!!!!
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs