Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Custom Questions...

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: Custom Questions...

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:51 pm

So I've got to ask... Have you had a chance to tinker with the foam cutter yet? :smgrin:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Avalon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Hey guys. Trying my hand at customs after seeing all you guys post your cool stuff but nothing to show yet... question though. How long does the paint stay tacky after you put it on? I waited 24 hours but it still feels sticky. It even leaves prints in it when I put my finger on it. Should I just wait a week between coats? I'm using Vallejo paints applied super thin... Thanks in advance.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Idiot Savant » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:13 pm

AcidDragon wrote:So I've got to ask... Have you had a chance to tinker with the foam cutter yet? :smgrin:

Sorry AD, I have used it and it's awesome to work with!!! As with most things, the more you practice the better and easier it gets
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Idiot Savant » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:23 pm

Avalon wrote:Hey guys. Trying my hand at customs after seeing all you guys post your cool stuff but nothing to show yet... question though. How long does the paint stay tacky after you put it on? I waited 24 hours but it still feels sticky. It even leaves prints in it when I put my finger on it. Should I just wait a week between coats? I'm using Vallejo paints applied super thin... Thanks in advance.

Hey Avalon,

Sometimes if it's humid the paint may take a while to get to a dry or less tacky point...you may not like this but I still have a figure or 2 that the paint is still tacky.

So what I did and do this carefully and lightly, is apply a clear coat spray to hopefully protect it from more figure prints

Best advice I have
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Avalon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Cool thanks a lot man. That helps a lot. Is there any particular brand of clear coat you recommend? I want a more matte finish look like most of the figures in the line...?
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby HectorHall » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:06 pm

is Vallejo an acrylic? You may want to wash and sand your figure before applying paint.
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby tonyrome » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:22 pm

Make sure it's not oil based cause that will never dry and it eats plastic and rubber over time. I'm not familiar with the brand you mentioned Tester model masters, citadel, tamiya (I don't like this one), humbrol just make sure it is acrylic and you should be fine. Also if it's to thick water it down a bit... the thinner the better. I like to wait an hour between coats with a mini fan on the painted part.
Tonyrome
tonyrome
Partner
Partner

Postby tonyrome » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:25 pm

As far as clear I use Testors Dullcote it comes in a 3oz spray can make sure the room is well ventilated as the fumes will get you high.
Tonyrome
tonyrome
Partner
Partner

Postby Avalon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:27 pm

Man thanks guys I really appreciate all the help!! I'll definitely look into some different kids of paint. Vallejos are a little watery I don't think they're oil based. Is there a way to sand it so it doesn't leave marks when you paint on it? When I paint it after sanding, the marks show up. Am I using too harsh a grit? Need something finer?
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Avalon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:28 pm

Cool and do I need special primer for different kinds of paint or is it a one shot deal? If I use dullcote, will it work on all paints oil or acrylic, enamel, etc? Sorry, lots of questions. Want to make sure I do it right. Can't afford to waste too many figures. Even as custom fodder it gets expensive. lol.
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs