Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Packerbacker Customs A Fatal 4 Pack pg. 85

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: Packerbacker Customs Of Toys and Transmutations pg. 63

Postby wally2974 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:37 am

That Toyman is the bomb.com, Packer! Great scott, that's alot of stripes to paint, by-hand. LooKS like it was a real pain in the A$$ to paint. What body did you use to make him? Fantastic concept! I wish Mattel had given us an old school Toyman like that when they had the DC Universe Classics Subscription going, a few years ago.
wally2974
Hero
Hero

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Hey, thanks, wally! Toyman was a '66 Penguin body with a modified BvS Nightmare Batman jacket (the cheap figures).
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:27 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:Perhaps they just had good...chemistry?

IT HURTS.

Although I don't know why he sticks out to me as a particularly bad fit for his hero when he's next to TOYMAN. (But SA Supes was more about the goofy craziness anyway, so I guess Toyman fits as well as anything.)
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Packerbacker Customs The Eye of the Tiger pg. 65

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:07 pm

There is so much at stake
Seems our freedom's up against the ropes
Does the crowd understand
Is it east versus west
Or man against man?
Can any nation stand alone?

Man, I tell you Survivor was underrated. Coming off the success of adding Sgt. Slaughter to the Joes, Hasbro was looking to add another popular mainstream character. Then, in Marvel's GI Joe Order of Battle #2 this appeared:

Wait, whut? I'm 9 in 1987. Al Gore's internet isn't around for me. To quote Vince Lombardi, "What the hell is going on out here?"

It turns out Sly was in talks with Hasbro to lease his likeness for a figure. There was even a preproduction pieces.

Cool, right?

Then came issue 3...

Womp! Womp!

So what happened? Apparently Marvel jumped the gun and the deal fell through at the last minute. Instead of joining the Joes, Sly signed a contract with Coleco to make Rambo figures instead. Yes, there was even a Rambo cartoon (the 80's were so great!)

I totally forgot about this for decades until a year or so ago when I saw that Rocky image in the Joe book and said, "wuh?" Thankfully, now we have the internet because Robert Stack is dead, so how else would I have solved this unsolved mystery?

Now push play on the video below before going any further...

Yes, I listened to the Rocky soundtracks while working on this for inspiration.

Ok, now here's my 3.75 custom Rocky...

It all worked out in the end though. Rambo figures went on to sell for months and months, while instead of the Italian Stallion, the Joes recruited into their "highly trained special mission force"...

Refrigerator Perry?
But hey, he did eliminate Big John Studd from a battle royale once.

He'll fight for freedom except when there's dinner...
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Packerbacker Customs The Eye of the Tiger pg. 65

Postby Doctor Fate » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Nice Job on (that's an neatest custom that you've made here, and thanks for posting several neat photos) Rocky, Packerbacker --- I was stunned by hearing about the death of Refrigerator Perry -- and I'll never, ever forget this touchdown from Superbowl XX

So sad, to hear about his death ...
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks, Doc. Turns out Fridge is still alive. Guess I should've googled that first. Could've sworn he died a couple years ago. Saw an article from 2016 saying he was in "dire health", not sure why I thought he died.

My bad.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Doctor Fate » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:59 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:Thanks, Doc. Turns out Fridge is still alive. Guess I should've googled that first. Could've sworn he died a couple years ago. Saw an article from 2016 saying he was in "dire health", not sure why I thought he died.

My bad.

Thanks ... and not a problem and appreciate telling me this !
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Idiot Savant » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:49 pm

Outstanding work on Rocky...love how obscure and not used that character was in GI Joe
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Packerbacker Customs Break the Walls Down... p.65

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Been a while since I posted anything, not because I haven't been doing anything but because I've been too lazy to take pictures. Going to try and post some things this week. First up, sadly a commissioned piece that I was given the head for well over two years ago and told to keep until I could figure out a decent formula for...

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Packerbacker Customs Break the wall down... pg. 65

Postby Idiot Savant » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:10 pm

Exquisite!!!! And welcome back!!
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs