Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Movie Score Cues of the Moments: James Horner P2!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Movie Score Cues of the Moments: Alan Silvestri P2!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:22 am

OK, last time I posted here it was on very sad note with the passing of fellow composer Angelo Badalamenti so let's continue with the legendary Alan Silvestri in his cues from 1990 :) Nobody ever said they listened to his music that I posted earlier besides The Spirit of Christmas from 2004's Polar Express. I would have really liked it if somebody would have told Me what they thought about his early works like Summer Rental, his wonderful work for Back to the Future 1 & 2 and Predator which he is really known for or perhaps his tremendous sound for Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. If you need a refresh then please go back to his first part as I talk about him a lot there and what he's meant to Me and My Family since My Childhood :)

NOTE: I'm going to keep these a bit shorter for now on ;)

OK, so here is some of his best tracks from the 90s :batsmile:

Back to the Future: Part III (90) - This is such a fantastic piece. however I usually overlooked it a bit cause the third film isn't My fave of the trilogy which is Part II. Silvestri really used his talents with this one, this has some dandy moments especially when 2:31 hits :)

Predator 2 (90) - He outdid himself with this score making it similar like the first entry yet so much more :batsmile: As I showed in My Odds & Ends that My Mom got the score for Me way back then at Peaches/Sound Warehouse. I was so stoked when I saw it in person as there is rarely something funner than finding a movie score you wanted at music store :) So I finally got the score cause I loved the film and hearing it within those wonderfully horrific scenes. I bet that I listened to this score at least a 100 times which probably is the most I listened to out of all of My Silvestri collection :!:

Super Mario Bros. (93) - Thirty years ago this year this wonderful music was composed for this fun & good yet quite critical film. Listen to the lighthearted pleasure music this brings you :)

Judge Dredd (95) - Now this was kinda of an experiential release as it was a mixture of songs from groups including White Zombie before he was known as Rob Zombie and it would also have several cues by Alan SIlvestri. The CD's length was deceivingly short at only 63:00 minutes or so but his score over powered the the CD like it should as it was about 39:00. It's a very rare occurrence that CD companies made a mixture of songs & score together, if only they did this with every release for every film :roll: This is unquestionable one of My most favorite cues he's ever done. The Judge Dredd theme is one of the most underrated heroic themes ever of all-time IMO. Listen to this build up, it's so epic and fun to listen, I have listened to this countless times :batsmile:

M:I - Mission Impossible (96) - Now this here as I said before is his rejected score to the film as it actually went to Danny Elfman :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: As good as his score is, I cannot understand how you can reject music like this much less even have that thought :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: The director & company was clearly not thinking correctly :roll: Listen to how great it is, Silvestri always adapts and he uses guitars and much more, listen to this grand music :!:

Volcano (97) - Without a single doubt this is truly the ultimate natural disaster theme. Listen to this superb theme and it's melody, you cannot get any better than this, I have listen to this tons of times as well :batsmile:

So that will do it for this part of Alan Silvesti. Now tell Me, what do you think of his sound and what is your favorite from Part 1 and especially what is your favorite from this Part 2 right here & why :?: I'd love to talk about it before I do Part 3 :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Movie Score Cues of the Moments: Alan Silvestri P3!!

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:20 pm

I don't know if you've watched The Mandalorian at all, it's not totally important, but at the end of the episode they always play this song with some production art from the episode, and I really dig it. I don't know much about Ludwig Goransson, you might, but this song is really cool. Mando is kind of a space western, and since we've been doing a lot of westerns, I thought I'd share this with you over here to see what you think. I figured if anyone would appreciate it, it would be you.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Movie Score Cues of the Moments: Alan Silvestri P3!!

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:24 pm

Thanks for posting those tracks, guys. I think out of the group you posted, Brandon, I like the one for Judge Dredd the most but they all have something cool.

Also, that Mando theme is damn cool and an obvious call back to the classic western tunes. Great stuff as always.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Movie Score Cues of the Moments: Ludwig Göransson!!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:14 am

Well thanks for adding that to the topic PB, I was just about to do My finishing touches on Alan Silvestri Part 3 hence the topic header when I saw your post and I'm glad I didn't post it yet :) OK, Yes, I have seen the Mandadlorian but only the first season, I've haven't seen anything of the Disney shows after that, I just haven't. It's a pretty good show but the episodes are too darn short, right when their getting good it's over and I'm left with wanting more. Yes, I thought the little pictures they show at the end is really cool, I'm always for art and stuff. The music is great and I'll continue with you in a minute :)

Acid - I'm glad you liked Judge Dredd, it's always been one of My favorites. Movie music is so exciting and there is so much you can with it. I mean you can listen to it while you do your hobbies, it can be so ideal to fit whatever your doing. I'm glad you liked the other Silvestri ones too. I posted him a long while back and I'm like when in the heck is somebody gonna say they like him or not or wow, he did Back to the Future & Roger Rabbit, I was waiting for those replies and it was leaving Me wondering I guess there's no fans of them here, with no response I cannot know but I'm glad you joined in Acid, keep up with this on a regular basis, with more comments with the tracks I post the more I will work at adding more entries faster I mean since this is a huge passion of Mine this would be My number non-personal item showcase :!:

OK PB, back to you :) Oh I know Ludwig Göransson, I've known about him for several years if not longer. I was eventually going to get to him later on once I was done with the legends and the older guys because there is many new composers that I really like such as Lorne Balfe & Benjamin Wallfisch. I was like heck, I'll post a premature entry of him now and do Silvestri's part 3 soon so why not :smummm: :batwink: :wwsmile: Now I don't know him as well as the guys I grew up with cause really he's still relatively a newcomer. He is Swedish looking like a rock star with his long hair and born in 1984 so he is only 39 years old, that's quite young for a composer. He started out as an assistant for Theodore Shapiro (2016's Ghostbusters & 2017's Captain Underpants) and then got his chance to do his own work at a very early age at 27 :shock: Your legends like Goldsmith & Williams didn't get their big moments till they were in their 40s. Goldsmith wasn't big till he was 39 with 1968's Planet of the Apes, Williams didn't become a household name till he was 43 with 1975's Jaws, Silvestri was lucky, he got to Back to the Future when he was only 35. Ludwig really was fast getting to where he is, he was ONLY 30 when he did 2015's CREED :o He composed many scores for top recent blockbusters and even won an Oscar for best music, many of your top composers ever never won Oscars, Williams was nominated countless times but only one a handful which included 1975's Jaws, 1977's Star Wars & 1982's E.T.. It's really pathetic how that system works :roll: In fact when I used to watch the Oscars, if there wasn't a huge movie I loved being nominated, the best musical score award was really the only reason I'd watch it but I'd have to wait two hours for something like that but it was cool seeing the composers together and win. Many times I was disappointed who won and how long the presentation was cause it was always short which I always wanted to see the people who made the music but it was always a treat none the less :) So what did Ludwig win his best musical score for you ask :? He won it for 2018's The Black Panther :o :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: Like Elfman & Burton & Raimi, Silvestri & Zemeckis, Goldsmth & Dante, Williams with Lucas & Spielberg, Zimmer & Nolan. Ludwig has a partnership with director Ryan Coogler who made the Black Panther & Creed films so Ludwig does the music for his epic movies. There's his little bio and here's a pic of him that I made :)

So here is some cues that I selected. Since you posted The Mandalorian I will skip that. It was a cleverly done theme and twist of the SW theme. It has a very western sound too it yes like you & Acid has said and it perfectly matches the space western atmosphere that show has. Now keep his music in mind or you can replay it because in a little while once you know his other music you will be able to tell that they have a similar sound and that it is Ludwig :)

Now is this strange, for months PB, you have been posting episodes of Community, well Ludwig is actually the composer for that show COMMUNITY (2009-2014) and in fact that was his first crack at being a composer :? Many composers do TV shows & video games before they move on to movies but sometimes they just stay there. The music is pretty good. It's simple but it perfectly fits the background of what this comedy has to offer. Are you surprised about this PB :?:

Creed (2015) - This was his first big one. Listen how he makes Bill Conti's Rocky Theme into his own. I love it when a composer uses somebody else's theme to continue that great movie story pace going :!:

Creed 2 (2018) - It was obvious to hire him once again, listen to this one, this one is great :batsmile:

Venom (2018) - Now we're gonna see & hear what he's made out of. Is Ludwig a composer that really can only write comedy & drama like above or is he versatile and can compose for other genres :? Well with his Venom music he proved he is quite versatile indeed and can write alien & horror sounding music. I love the big horns & guitars riffs for the Symbiote theme. I just dig this, it sounds spooky, ominous and down right fun :batsmile:

Black Panther (2018) - Now this is the score he won his Academy Award for 5 years ago this year :o This is truly a great score. It sounds really African, I love the build-up to the action music @ 2:07. He used an African female choir which I always love it when a composer chooses to use male & female and even children's choirs, it makes the music sound so much more grander & epic. I absolutely adore the awesome part @ 2:55, anybody that loves action music needs to hear this. I must say that I am glad he won best score, I have listened to this countless times since 2018 :batsmile:

Recently he replaced Hans Zimmer with Christopher Nolan's 2020 Tenet, this is remarkable because Zimmer is really your number one composer right now though Michale Giacchino is really tied with him :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: I've known him since 1990's Pacific Heights & Days of Thunder. I haven't seen Tenet yet but the music is really different. He used unique methods here which I understand because the movie's story is time altering.

So that's all about Ludwig Göransson, I like him a lot. He's got a long way to go to reach the heights of the legends & icons but he's on that path and I hope he reaches it because he has the absolute talent to do so :!:Thanks for the post about the Mandalorian, it was a bit of a surprise and refreshing. So I hope you give everything a chance that posted above and read the trivia especially about Community & Creed. I'll catch up with the other topics tomorrow ;) More to come soon :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:28 pm

Y'know, now that you mention him working on Community, I kind of remember maybe seeing his name in the show credits or perhaps I heard the connection when The Mandalorian first came out and just forgot. I was struck by how young he is. When It think of composers I think of guys with white beards and glasses, lol. He clearly is not. It's funny, I've not seen any of teh Creed films or Venom. HIs Mando theme is terrific though so I can tell he is very talented. I'm sure if everything goes well we will hear his name for many years to come.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:38 am

I see. Yes, I just explained about the age scenario and what a factor this is ;) Well I thought it was strange about this Community situation :? The Creed films are really good, Venom was too. I always read the credits to what I'm watching. I always did since I was a youngster, that is one key to how I knew a lot back then but it's always tricky for TV shows because they usually never add who does the music in the beginning and they play the end credits so darn fast and have to have other things playing at the same time it can be difficult to catch it. Yes, I hope all goes well with him, he has the talent for sure. Thanks for your reply PB :) I wanna keep this topic going, more coming soon :batsmile:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:51 am

I saw this poll and I don't know if I should think of this as a nice surprise or a weird coincidence :? I voted for James Horner :)

Composers 1.jpg
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Movie Score Cues of the Moments:

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:56 am

So here we go with part 3 and the final installment of Alan Silvestri. If your just now seeing this but know nothing of him then get to his Part 1 first that I made. You can hear his sound as he matured and got better & better plus I spotlighted Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams & Danny Elfman previously which Silvestri was a part of this grand ensemble of the 80s & 90s along with James Horner who will be featured here soon. Recently I featured a newer composer Ludwig Göransson whom is a tremendous talent. PB brought him up and I thought why not prematurely talk about him ;) I always include a picture to show what these so underrated & unappreciated talented masters of music look like :) Let's begin Part 3 cause this one is so darn awesome :batsmile: :wwwink: :smgrin:

What Lies Beneath (2000) - Like Danny Elfman, Silvestri changed his style & sound a bit in 2000. I noticed it with this. It's such a great horror in the inspiration of the late legendary Bernard Herrmann. It's truly a great one and this track is totally marvelous and fits the film so good :blbat: :blww:

The Mummy Returns (2001) - This is arguably My most crucial entry of Silvestri because I was anticipating the film & score so much. I watched the countdown on the web page till the movie came out like I did with The Mothman Prophecies less than a year later :o It was huge seeing the first film in 1999 and listening to the magnificent score by Jerry Goldsmith but Me & My Grandpa were actually bummed that Goldsmith wasn't doing the score for the sequel even though Silvestri was and we loved him just as much. For weeks if not months We'd be talking about this about how will Silvestri compose the music for this new movie. Well the time came, I got the score and We were really surprised how great it was and really I was astounded at how darn great it was. It was a huge score, arguably even bigger than the first in length and sound. While Silvestri didn't continue where Goldsmith left off, he pulled off a James Horner like Horner did for Goldsmith's Alien & Star Trek making it all his own which I'm not truly a big fan of that route but if it sounds good then it will work and Silvestri's score really worked. Still to this day this is one of My all-time favorites. Here is one of the absolute best cues of the whole score :batsmile:

Van Helsing (2004) - Now I have said it countless times over the past 2 decades or so, if Silvestri didn't do The Mummy Returns he would have never done Van Helsing. This is arguably My all-time fav album by him and I bet I've listened to this the most. It's so energizing & engaging. the sound is so darn tremendous. It's really one of the most ideal scores you could listen to on Halloween but if your like Me and love it then it doesn't matter what time of year you do as long as you do so :blmm: This cue I chose is so wow, Silvestri is a pure genius, I've played this countless times like the whole score itself. Listen how this masterpiece is with the pounding drums, the organ, how the female & male choirs does exactly how they should, it's one of the most euphoric sounding tracks ever and if you skip this you will completely regret it :!:

Beowulf (2007) - Again, if Silvestri didn't do the The Mummy Returns & Van Helsing above he wouldn't have done this one either. This is yet another collaboration he did with Robert Zemeckis and it's really one of Silvestri's best and like his previous entries it completely matches the film. I love the Norse Choir and how haunting this sounds. It's really epic, engaging and matched the dark time period perfectly :batsmile:

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) - This was truly a good one. Was there anybody better to score this title :?: His theme is tremendous and sounds really good, parts of it is bit classical with nostalgia of the 80s cartoon :batsmile:

The A-Team (2010) - Again, who better to compose a title like this :?: It's really action packed and he does nods to Mike Post's original which is great :)

Captain America (2011) - So with G.I. Joe & The A-Team under his belt with already templates born, it was only a question who would score this one :batsmile: His sound fits this so much I mean with Back to the Future & Predator this was right up Silvestri's alley :!:

The Avengers (2012) - So if your making a franchise as huge as the MCU and your composer just did the First Avenger why would you look anywhere else when he was right in front of you :? Silvestri's way of scoring this was truly remarkable and it was without a single doubt one of his greatest scores ever as he put so much emotion into this. I really pity anybody that isn't into Silvestri's work especially his classic stuff but gosh, I distress them if their not into this much less gave this marvelous masterpiece a listen. Even if your part of the majority of the population that doesn't give movie scores the time that would make your life so much funner and your a big Marvel fan, you gotta listen to this and the rest of the score. Any true Marvel fan should not even think about hesitating at giving this a world because they would be making such a big mistake :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

The Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - Now he was unable to score Avengers: Age of Ultron as I noted early within the topic that Brian Tyler & Danny Elfman did that one but Silvestri was able to come back and finish the Avengers :!: This score is great but IMO he sounds a bit worn out here, It's not as epic as the first despite how the film is yet is still emotional in some areas. He uses a few new motifs & techniques here.

The Avengers: Endgame (2019) - Now this one is more like the first entry, There is way more to this with space music, choir and lots of emotional segments. His actual Avengers theme fits so much and I don't know how many people actually appreciates the significance of this as a whole :?: I hope there's more out that than what I think cause it's one of the best Superhero themes and score ever composed IMO :batsmile:

So that will conclude My entries of Alan Silvestri. I hope people here has given all of these a listen and considered how great they are especially his Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Predator 1 & 2, Judge Dredd, The Mummy Returns, Van Helsing & Avengers.. Like I said in the first part, he was a huge name around My household and still is. He's one of your most talented composers and was one of your leading ones within the ranks of Goldsmith, Williams, Horner & Elfman in the 80s & 90s. I was hooked on his sound and how clever he wrote his cues. If you like Me and you look at a composer's filmography/discography and look at everything they did, Silvestri is arguably got the most impressive lineup of all. Doing this can also lead you to new movies & TV shows as well that you forgot about, never saw or heard of before, I've been there and done that many times. If your just now seeing this and haven't seen the rest of the page I seriously recommend you stop and get to the first page. I start it with examples and then the first composer I spotlight is My fav Jerry Goldsmith. This was the third part of Alan Silvestri, get to the first part of his because it's truly a treat as I delve into his early days. Like I said before, I know composers like I know wrestlers, I'm one of the biggest wrestling fans you'll ever meet and I'm also one of the biggest movie score fans you will ever meet too. It's been a passion & hobby since I was a youngster and if you have any questions about the any of the scores I provided so far or anything else regarding film music just ask Me :) Next I will focus on one of My all-time favorites that I have talked about so much before here and in other topics...that focus will be of the late great legendary James Horner :o Until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Movie Score Cues of the Moments: Elfman Poll!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed May 03, 2023 4:31 am

So I was surprised that there was yet another poll of a composer. This one was Elfman. I would like to think that there's more people out there that is getting into movie music and realizing how fun it is. Elfman is a tremendous example as I talked about before time & time again here but there is so much more than him. This pic I made was a before & after. I obviously chose I knew him as a composer before I knew him from Oingo Boingo. If your not PB & Acid and if you don't know My history here then you need to check his section within the topic as well as others cause I talk about him a lot.

Danny Elfman 1.jpg

One thing that always irked Me about Elfman is that he never goes and looks back on his work. He makes so much and yet he never reminisces it or anything. I guess a lot of people are like that never looking back :roll: See, when I create something like My showcases here for instance, I look at them all the time and look back at most things. As My signature says, "The Past IS NOT Wilderness of Horrors :!: Maybe they'll have one of Alan Silvestri soon? Did you guys check out his last part I posted? There's a ton of great stuff there and your missing out if didn't. The first part of the late great legendary James Horner will arrive soon :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Movie Score Cues of the Moments: Elfman Poll!!

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed May 03, 2023 12:25 pm

I actually saw that poll yesterday when I was doing my Bing Rewards, and I thought about you, lol.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions