Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Movie Score Cues of the Moments: James Horner P2!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Movie Score Cues of the Moments: Elfman Poll!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 04, 2023 7:18 am

I had no idea you did Bing Rewards, that's great. I get so sick and tired of people saying on TV shows, movies and whatever saying Google it, do Google and all that I'm like doesn't anybody know about Bing? You get nothing through Google yet Bing you get gift cards and all that through points and it's 100% legit too. I mean doesn't people want extra money :? I done it for years now. I have never heard anybody ever say Bing it anywhere and I have no clue why it's never advertised nor promoted...it's just plain stupid IMO. Thanks a lot PB for thinking for thinking of about that :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu May 04, 2023 12:56 pm

Oh I've done it for years as well. I use it to get $10 Amazon gift cards, except a couple years ago when my kids just got their Xbox One nad my son got a whole bunch of "free" games online. They were free until I found out that since his account is connected to my Microsoft account he was redeeming my Bing Rewards, lol. Not on purpose, they didn't really understand, but they redeemed like 40k in pts before I caught on, lol.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri May 05, 2023 4:54 am

I see and that is very good. That's a ton a points your kids got away with. Yeah, the Amazon points is the best ones there IMO. You can get PS4 & XBOX gift cards there :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Movie Score Cues of the Moments: PEER-TO-PEER SHARING!!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri May 12, 2023 7:58 am

So before I get to the next composer presentation which will be the late great legendary James Horner I wanted to this next because I've talked about it for a long time on many occasions and a recent mentioning of it sparked an urge to actually go one step further and post about it. Now of course if you've given in to this digital day and age and not really into music like so many plebeians now then your probably not going to be interested at all but if you haven't, find the past better or at least more interesting than these pathetic & androgynous modern times and love music of all types then your gonna really like this and it may even bring some memories of your own back :) So as I said before do you remember Napster :?: They were the first large & major Peer-to-Peer/P2P sharing company that begin as Listen.com. It was amazing the first time I saw it & used it in 1999 when it first began. It opened such a new door for Me as it was another way to get movie soundtracks & scores. I mean like I said before you could only buy them at stores if you could find them that is cause movie scores has always been tricky items to get due to it being a hobby that most of the population doesn't get into which for decades I have found that so darn sad :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: However with Napster I was able to find a lot of them via the web. Sure it was different having them as files and instead of having an actual CD set but I was already doing this with wrestling themes since 1996 on AOL and various wrestling pages which it was very fun to do. Like I said before I can relate so much to wrestling themes & soundtracks as there's not much of a difference, when you watch a movie you hear the music and people talking...well its the same when you hear a wrestler's theme...the crown noise & commentators are always present so that's what I mean there is no difference if you haven't put it together yet ;) It's always been like that with Me since I was a youngster. So Napster was actually free to use, I bet I downloaded hundreds if not thousands of bucks worth then came along Metallica in the year 2000 and they caused a huge debacle by suing Napster because they argued that their songs along with others are all copyrighted and are being downloaded & shared illegally thus forcing Napster make their service as a membership for any user to pay for what they DL. After that I quit Napster but I didn't want to quite the game because I was so hooked and I would be looking elsewhere for alternatives but was there any more out there in Cyberspace and if so would I be lucky enough to find'em :?: The following pictures are all made by Me :batsmile: So here is Napster's cool logo with the kitty cat with the headphones, it was so cool and neat. Then there is the loading screen and what it looked like when you were downloading what what you wanted after you found it. Notice the status bar. I recall when we first got DSL when it first came about and it was so fast. I loved seeing My files download but darn did I hate when the internet acted up but these were good times when this was first available and your like holy crap it worked & I got it :)

So did I find any alternatives :?: You bet your @$$ I did :batwink: There was many of them because this hobby was really taking flight and unlike Napster they were all free. One of them was BearShare which sounds like a Care Bear but it wasn't affiliated. It was a really cool one and looked very nice but compared to Napster there wasn't that many people using it...either people weren't liking it or just didn't know about it :roll: Here is the cool logos and what it looked like when you were using it.

Out of the dozen perhaps even more alternatives that I found WinMX in 2000 was the best. It was the biggest one and there was a ton of people there, possibly even bigger numbers than Napster. I found a ton of soundtracks there and many of them I was looking for a very long time including some very rare ones and later on I even found movies in 2002 when they were still hot at the show such as Spider-Man & Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones. These were done via camcorders way before this dang phone age that everybody is obsessed over (look how many people just stare at them and everybody's got one and it has become more important than the people your with!!) and way before the days of Putlocker. It had a great chat room/instant message system as well. It was arguably even better than AOL's AIM. This was well before the all important social media craze that has been going the last decade or so and even predates Myspace. I mean you had just about everything you needed here and really you couldn't ask for any more but of course times change, people get bored of stuff and by being like that, that caused the situations for us to be in these pathetic predicaments we're in now :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: Out of the hundreds of people I downloaded from and shared with there was only 4 people that I messaged because they all seemed decent and had the same liking that I have which is very rare because throughout My whole life I've met very, I mean very few people that could relate to Me and I knew a ton of people that was all monkey see, monkey do, same hive mind set and it just became really frustrating, I've talked about this before especially with wrestling, it really sucked when your a kid and only 1 friend (Chris) liked it besides you in a classroom full of kids for years :x So the first guy was I can't recall his name, he was from Brazil so I'll just call him Mr. Brazil. He was a bit younger than Me but he was well educated in movie soundtracks despite only being in the hobby a few years compared to Me which was great, it showed Me he had passion and understanding how fun it can be. In fact he really upped the ante to it. At the time Jerry Goldsmith's 1989 Warlock was still extremely rare to find. He was able to find it and he shared it with Me cause he knew I wanted it bad. John Debney's 1997 The Relic was only available through bootlegs (I talked about this in My great Horror Topic before). He managed to find it too and some of the files were corrupted but he fixed'em and he was quite proud of himself which i was glad of that for him as that made My day that day :) I don't recall what I shared with him but I know I gave him some goodies. Too bad that We just disconnected and didn't talk to each other anymore, I still don't know what happen :roll: Next was Wazabi from Japan. I never forgot him. We talked about & shared some great scores numerous times. He was a fun one to be with. Again, I don't know what happen with him. I can't recall his name but third was a really good one. I call him the FTP Guy. Me and him really bonded and he trusted Me. He allowed Me to have access to his FTP and download his scores and in return I would upload some of Mine. I found a lot of great soundtracks there, some that is quite obscure and rare even to this day. It was so fun doing that everyday but then things just changed and after a while until sometime in 2002 it was over :roll: Here is a similar diagram of what the FTP Guy's FTP looked like, it was simple but boy I had a ball with it :)

Here is an old, unedited Text Document during 2001 that I wrote when I was much younger asking and requesting him and the few others there of what I was looking for. You can see how it was then and that it was fun. Some of these have never been released however after decades they finally released Peter Bernstein's 1985 My Science Project but I still would love George S. Clinton's 1994 Hellbound :!:

Last but certainly not least was Natrebo, he was the most memorable of the quartet as I really bonded with him. It seemed like we were so close, darn near like brothers. We just didn't share on WinMX we personally did through uploading storage sites before today's cloud drives. He was quite different however as he never slept and only took naps as he said sleeping is a waste of time. He did a lot of stuff for Me like giving Me the Deluxe Edition of Jerry Goldsmith's 1990 Total Recall and ripped the isolated scores from DVDs when DVDs was still the relatively new home video format. I will talk about him further in a moment. Here is what WinMX looked like with it's really cool logos and what it looked like to find & download files that you wanted. By looking at this again it's another thing from the past that looks better than today's stuff. I really miss these times and really I hope I'm not alone like so much, surely there's others out that besides Me and the very slim community on YouTube that does and I hope these people that I once knew are all still fine and still adoring movie soundtracks & scores because the world needs more people like that :)

So now here is the big thing about Natrebo. I've talked about him a few times here before but I don't know if anybody recalls about it. He was a bit older than Me. I became very close to him, almost like a brother I never had. We talked via IMing like every late night around 2:00 AM for a couple hours. He was always nice and like I said he never went to bed, he always napped around as he thought sleeping was a waste of time. I totally disagreed then and still do. He had an older brother that I never met and I think he had a girlfriend. He was a very talented person and he just didn't love music and movie scores, he was a bit of a very amateur composer himself as I still have his little cues & videos. He was quite handy with computers, making projects such as special effects. His name was Nathan and he loved Star Wars and he loved the musician Max Rebo from Return of the Jedi so that's how he got his name...NATREBO which I thought was clever on his part and that was a thing I liked about him making a name like that...I've done stuff like that before then too and even now but it seems as time went people just don't give a r@t$ @$$ anymore about that of type of thing which really takes the fun out of it like that :roll: He had his own little company called Thoze Guyz Pictures/Productions. Like a lot of stuff from ages ago, I try to save as much as I can. His logo looked was nice so here's his logo & SW character he named himself after :)

So we talked a lot about music, I bet I could fill in a whole novel of conversations compared to how people talk about movie music now and really a lot of other stuff now...that really disturbs Me so basically we knew each others' favorite composers, movies and a ton of other stuff. His favorite composer was Michael Kamen which I'll get to in a bit. When I revealed to him that Mine was Jerry Goldsmith (both of these great composers were still alive & active during this time) he was really thrilled about that. He knew how much I loved his 1999 Mummy & 2000 Hollow Man so he made some special deals with Me since I didn't have a DVD player at the time, I was still going with VHS all the way. He either bought or rented the DVDs and ripped their isolated scores from them :o That was a cool feature that many DVDs have and if you know your way around computers you can rip'em and have a complete score that you always wanted :) Here's the 2 custom CDs Covers he made Me together :o

Here is full look at 2-CD The Mummy. He put everything in it, he even put the Universal Logo Theme and even a sample of Alan Silvestri's score that wasn't even out yet because he knew how much I was anticipating it as I have expressed about that earlier on in Alan Silvestri's section of the 2000s. I was pleased with this. Many years later I would buy a huge bootleg of the score and believe Me, it has the same cues that Natreo put on his version so what I'm saying is he knew how to do this like the professionals however he named them his own titles like most composers do for their scores :) If you never heard Goldsmith's The Mummy then you seriously need to, it's one of the greatest scores ever IMO and in fact I posted a little bit of it in the beginning of this very topic :batsmile:

Now for 2-CD Hollow Man this was a bit different and I wanted this even more. He was a critic at times and said a lot of the same stuff that review pages said at the time but I always begged the differ of how great it was. I told him listen to it with your own way, forget about those damn critics...listen to how aggressive it is and he's like ya know...I hear what you mean about it being aggressive. Talking about this over twenty years later really brings Me back to that time when things were so different ;) He made it for Me but he was asking if I want this and that on there like the End Credits and even an interview with Jerry Goldsmith himself and I say yes do it all especially the End Credits and he even put the Superman Joke I posted in PB's Zen Topic as a Hollow Hidden Track as an inspiration of what they used to do many, many years prior (example like Nirvana's Nevermind & Pearl Jam's TEN so he did all of this superbly well and this is how it all turned out to be :)

He also did an isolated score of Graeme Revell's really awesome 1999 Bats for Me but with no custom cover. Also He was a big Don Davis fan. I really didn't know about him other than his 1999 The Matrix score but i knew I would have to know him because he just took the place of James Horner for Jurassic Park /// and when I would type JP/// back then he loved that I came up with those lines :batsmile: So Davis had some free cues on his web page and he downloaded them all and gave Me access to his downloads and made a special CD cover and here is this OOAK album :)

So, as I said earlier that his favorite composer was Michael Kamen. I posted his soundtrack to his What Dreams May Come in PB's Movie Trailer Topic with pictures so you should know what he looked like. I told Natrebo that I liked him too and that I'm a huge fan of Metallica and he asked Me if I heard and/or saw his conducting the San Francisco Orchestra in Metallica's S&M Concert and said I sure did and I think it's the best concert I ever saw and this still stands even at this very moment IMO. So he got the DVD and ripped the isolated score from it where you hear little to no singing by James Hetfield or music by the band, only the orchestra so he gave Me this custom 2-CD Set as well which was really sweet. By looking at this he should seem familiar and I look to post his moments with Metallica in My Music Videos of Yesteryear in time :)

Here is a close up of him plus Natrebo's credit & logo of his Thoze Guyz Pictures/Productions :!:

Now here the comes the bitter end to our friendship that only lasted about a year a so and the thing is I really don't know how it started. One day he was saying that he found the bootleg to Danny Elfman's 2000 The Family Man and then the next thing I know we got into an argument and he was calling Me a liar and all sorts of crap. I was trying to fix this but he kept it up so I ended it and that was that because I tried, he wouldn't listen to Me and I didn't want to go though it. I had originally revealed this last Christmas in PB's Christmas Topic. So anytime I see about The Family Man this always hits My mind and it's been over twenty years now :roll: :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

Now with all of the good I told about him how in the heck did it end the way it did and the pathetic thing is I don't really know what the heck it started over :? OK now here is something that I hinted about...remember I said I personally knew a movie composer a while back :?: One theory My Grandma MiMi had was that he was jealous that I wrote to a low budget movie composer named Jared DePasquale (Ancient Evil: Scream of the Mummy & The Dead Hate the Living) because I loved his music and he responded back to Me and I actually became pals with him and he sent Me many of his bootlegs where Natrebo was trying to make it to the big time and didn't :? I don't know, if this set him off...I didn't mean too. I was excited about it and I thought he would be amazed that it happen to Me but I guess not :roll: I never want to make people jealous, I want them to be excited & surprised :) Is all I know he went berserk on Me and I never knew why. I hate being in question and I hate it when people has gifts & talents and they just waste themselves via though such acts of ignorance :x I remember him saying how crystal clear Danny Elfman's Planet of the Apes was how you could hear it so much I mean he truly had the ear for music and he had to be a nutzo :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: Maybe I should have known not trust him because of his name being Nathan :? remember I told you in My Vintage Wrestling VHS & DVD Collection showcase how Nathan & Jacob just turned on Me and stabbed Me in the back :?: I don't know how people can flip flop like that :roll: I've had other kids during school time just being My friend today and My enemy tomorrow for no reason or with no explanation and people like that as Sting said in 96 can stick it :!: That's why after My time with the FTP Guy was up I look back and I'm like dang, all of that ended in 2001 :roll: I was really hesitant to make friends online as I only posted once in a while on figure boards like He-Man.org as I was really disliking society for about a decade but when The Matty Board came about I was ok with it yet I started noticing a lot of changes in people & times since the big bang of social media and it really irks Me sometimes how people are and I really can't believe how this country much less the world has become and I'm sure I'm not alone :roll:

That's all for this special. Did you expect Me to post this :?: Did you do P2P or even know about it :?: These are My thoughts & recollections of My time in 2000 - 2001/2002. Next I will finally post James Horner's Part 1 so be on the look out for that, until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Movie Score Cues of the Moments: James Horner!!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:50 am

Finally here's James Horner, I've talked about him for a long time and I would hope people were very interested in him. He is one most of the legendary composers and he was arguably My Grandpa's favorite, more then Williams and even Goldsmith :!: This will be lengthy one as it is well over due and deserves it :batwink: Here is a short bio of his by Me so pay attention here. He was born on August 14, 1953 in Los Angeles, California and Died on June 22, 2015 at the young age of only 61 due to a tragic airplane accident in Los Padres National Forest, California, U.S. I was so sad that year when I found this out :( The world lost one of the brightest & talented people ever to compose music and I would really, I mean really hate to think that people have forgotten him but I know I never will :!: If you don't know him, I hope what I'm about to do will add one more wonderful personality to your list of great ones and that you will always keep him close on your mind :) So he was basically your total package and most of everything you'd want a composer to be because he just wasn't a composer but a songwriter, conductor, orchestrator, music producer and played instruments such as Violin & Piano :!: He began early in his life in 1978 and was quickly a success. By 1982 he was a household name when he composed Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and he got better as time went on. While Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Elmer Bernstein & John Barry were already quite established and really becoming legends in their own right, there was newcomers coming in the 80s such as Alan SIlvestri & Danny Elfman whom I already greatly covered within this topic of mine, James Horner was the one third of the trio that did the most for the score not only in effort but also in numbers. Like the others, he was and still is a household name around My house, I loved it when My Grandpa talked about him all the time :) Like many composers befriending directors or vice versa, He developed a friendship with fantastic directors James Cameron & Ron Howard. These are known as much as the ones of Lucas, Spielberg & Williams & Burton, Raimi & Elfman, Dante & Goldsmith etc. Horner actually won two Academy Awards for Best Original Dramatic Score for 1997's Titanic and as well as Best Original Song ("My Heart Will Go On") in 1998. He was nominated for at least eight other Oscars. He also won two Golden Globe Awards, three Satellite Awards, three Saturn Awards, six Grammys, and was even nominated for three British Academy Film Awards which is a great deal there. In October 2013, Horner received the Max Steiner Award (1933's King Kong) at the Hollywood in Vienna Gala which is an award given for extraordinary achievement in the field of film music. Even though he had a terrific career, there was still many scores that I still feel he should have been at least nominated for. His last score was 2016's Magnificent Seven which he wasn't able to complete so rather rejecting, replacing it or ignoring it entirely, the director of the film Antoine Fuqua hired Horner's longtime friend and score arranger Simon Franglen to complete his great score :o James Cameron did the same with his recent Avatar sequel which is such a kind thing to do. So there's My brief bio of James Horner, take another look at his collage that I made of him above and again I hope you will give everything here a go because he was one of the all-time greatest, My Grandpa's favorite and you never ever want to skip something that will will make you go wow :)

First, I wanted to quote Myself on something really cool but quite frankly very special because out of 9 billion plebeians on this planet I'm probably one of the very, very few that ever did this at any time. I originally posted in this in PB's Movie Trailer Topic. For a very long time I think of this stuff often and when the opportunity arises for Me to do something I take it :batwink: James Horner really had a history really from the get-go and he's really the only composer that has a story such as this. So if you seen this before relive it or perhaps you missed it because you don't go back on older stuff missing tons of great content or maybe your a spectator, whatever the reason is check this out, it's really crazy :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

BrandonDaCollector wrote:So now here we go with this special I was talking about now and I will appreciate you to follow Me here step by step with this journey that I have known for ages since the late 80s :)

OK, here is the poster from the above 1980 film. The music was by the late great James Horner which if he hadn't done this it would have been most likely he would have never done the iconic music for 1982's Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan & 1983's Star Trek III: The Search For Spock :!: You can hear his great BBTS theme in the background as this was during a time when they put the movie's actual score within the trailer (it's a very rare thing now) :o

It may seem like I'm going off topic a bit but I'm not, BBTS is sometimes associated with...

Humanoids From The Deep (1980). The music is also by James Horner. and is featured with the trailer. I will say further why they are associated with each other in a bit which it makes this deal even more a big factor :?

NOTE: Trailer has Nudity.

There was many space films that was in the early 80s that was produced by the legendary Roger Corman. I posted some of his cool spooky sci-fi films in the My Horror Topic a while back. These films used many STOCK FOOTAGE within them from Battle Beyond the Stars :shock: 40 years ago this year in 1983, Space Raiders came out and it acted like it was it's own new film but it was heavy on the BBTS stock footage. BBTS as well as Space Raiders had some really great looking effects and some really dandy characters, I would have loved it if a toy company such as Kenner would've got the licences to make them so Us kids of the 80s could cross them over with Our Vintage Kenner Star Wars figures, imagine that :batsmile:

Now the thing is, these films just didn't used the BBTS stock footage, it also used the ENTIRE score from it as well :batconfused: :wwhuh: :smhuh: It's in the trailer too :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: It was only 3 or so years since BBTS, surely they thought people would notice...I mean I sure did :)

Now here is Wizards Of The Lost Kingdom 1985, this was one of the countless sword & sorcery films of the 80s, this too used the BBTS & HFTD score too :o

Now here is arguably the biggest one of all. I have seen this fun 1988 film many times, it usually goes by Andy Colby's Incredible Video Adventure but I didn't know the film by that title as I knew it by this one... Andy and the Airwave Rangers in 1989. I talked about this very briefly in My Odds & Ends showcase Glory Days of Video Rentals when My Grandma rented it for Me over at Movie King :) I really liked it, it's truly THE ULTIMATE VHS STORY-DRIVEN FILM :!:

Now the film has many factors about it. 1. It goes by 2 different names. 2. It uses STOCK FOOTAGE from all the films I just posted above and acts like their new films. 3. The kids in Space Raiders & WOTLK has been replaced by the boy in this movie :shock: The big MAJOR factor is that it uses James Horner's BBTS score but it also uses his HFTD score as well :o

These movie companies sure saved the time & moolah of not only using stock footage but also using the same music too. I have no clue how many people noticed all of this much less watched all of these films and put it all together nor what they think. For Me it was always interesting and fun to know and to point out about this crazy stuff. I mean I was already a huge James Horner fan with his Aliens & Willow scores. Like Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Danny Elfman & Alan Silvestri, Horner was one of the "true" movie composer Elites and I knew his music when I heard it cause nobody had a style like his and he was arguably the best of all :)

So here we are back to the WHY BBTS & HFTD are associated with each other and it's just not because of the films I posted above. Long ago GNP Crescendo released a double soundtrack feature of both of them together (they did this a lot back in the day, I love the one they did with Jerry Goldsmith's Capricorn One & Outland!) :shock: Both of these were James Horner's earliest works which were basically his first he ever did, unlike most composers, he really didn't evolve, he had his style right away with a big bang and just got better & better, that's one of the key factors of what made made his so darn good :)

So here is James Horner's Battle Beyond the Stars theme. If it sounds like Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan your not mistaken, he did that 2 years later and this is why he was chosen to write that awesome music because of his BBTS music and like I said earlier, if he didn't compose that, we would have never gotten the tremendous treat that is ST2:TWOK:!:

So here's James Horner's HFTD. He really wasn't a horror composer but boy he could muster up some good spooky stuff when he was hired too :)

So there's that. I hope I surprised or educated somebody here and enjoyed all of this trivia cause I really haven't spoken to many people about this outside My Family and really throughout My entire life I have only talked to a handful of people about movie scores & composers and such, I find that really sad :roll: There's more trailers and little events I'll post later when I have time :)

Now we're off to some of James Horner's greatest works in the 1980s when times were so much simpler, ones that I got into when I was a youngster and some of the best movies ever known, get ready :)

Wolfen (81) - This was his true entry for his status because he replaced Craig Safen when his score was rejected. Like I said before, Horner isn't known a horror composer but he's got a number under his belt and when he's needed to he could write some great spooky stuff. This theme was actually a precursor to his Khan theme :!:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (82) - So this was indeed his first big one and it was totally the green light that he was a legit composer. He arguably has written some of the most iconic & memorable Star Trek scores but like I said above in My quote, if it wasn't for his Battle Beyond the Stars, it would have been a very different story.

Krull (83) - This was such a magnificent piece and really a huge score for a fantasy that is extremely underrated :!:

Brainstorm (83) - This is one of his most dynamic scores of all, I love the choir that he uses and his theme has been used in many trailers including 1990's Darkman... I watched that trailer countless times since then on My 1990 Tremors VHS Tape JUST TO HEAR THAT MUSIC :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

Something Wicked This Way Comes (83) - This was a great horror score for the spooky Disney film, it's really good :blbat:

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (84) - While Goldsmith wrote the Klingon theme, Horner did his own and it was arguably even more powerful :!:

Cocoon (85) - This is a sweet & fun one.

Commando (85) - This was truly the first score that I noticed how versatile Horner was. The score is quite different from anything he did previously however I believe his scores for 48 Hrs, & Uncommon Valor were the precursors of his newer action style. When I was first into Arnold Schwarzenegger as a youngster this movie and it's score was such a great deal to Me, Still it really is :)

Aliens (86) - Now I already covered Goldsmith's Alien earlier. I always found it amazing how he followed Goldsmith just not with Star Trek but also with Alien, not many composers has had that luxury. When I first saw Aliens and heard the music with My Grandpa in the dark at Our old house I was so excited. This is when My Grandpa truly introduced Me to James Horner's work and when I was putting the pieces together about him with Star Trek & Commando. It was quite fun during My childhood because of this stuff and I'm quite grateful for it :) Horner is actually amongst the talk the most when it comes to Alien & Predator films because the entire franchise has some of the most exhilarating scores ever heard. Because of his truly vital action packed masterpiece that is Aliens it got a lot of attention back in the day. If your a major fan of the franchise like Me then you know it the minute you first hear it and I would hope even the noob too :batwink:

*batteries not included (87) - Like Cocoon, it's a sweet and dandy fun one.

Project X (87) - Another great fun musical experience.

Cocoon the Return (88) - Of course you'd want the original composer to do it and come back with such effort!

The Land Before (88) - Now this is truly an emotional epic. Like any film, movies would be nothing without the music and Horner captured the pure magic here :)

Willow (88) - So by time I was about 7 years old I knew Horner a lot by now. I already knew George Lucas because of Star Wars as I have expressed many times in My Topics & Showcases. Seeing and knowing about Willow was a huge eventful journey for Me. In My mind and it's still like that as I speak, it's a medieval Star Wars and just full of grandeur. In My Vintage Action Figure Topic I showcased My entire Tonka collection that made that great topic of Mine possible as it started it all and I expressed My love & memories for Willow and this year marks it's 35th Anniversary :!: Now besides of it being an epic and all that great stuff, one of the most important aspects of the film for My Grandpa was the music. He was actually anticipating it and boy he wasn't disappointed in the slightest and he talked about it for years and I would always mention that I wanted to bring My Tonka action figures to the Kenrick Theatrer when I went with him & My Grandma. This has been so strong on My mind this year. Now I must say this is easily one of Horner's greatest works that should have won him an academy award. Like his Land Before Time score, it's very emotional and matches the film perfectly. There's not many cues on the CD but their lengthy which I love it when they are. You can hear a bit of Aliens in it which is good because it helps you identify composers. Also like Aliens I would imagine and hope that people would recognize this sound & theme because it's one of the best ever :!:

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (89) - Not that long ago posted this in PB's Movie Trailer Topic, I love the sound of this as it's really fun especially when you see the very beginning of the film and you "really" listen to the intro title. Along with Alan Silvestri, Horner even did the Roger Rabbit short that went with it which I had posted before as well ;)

Ah man I did it :shock: I really hope that somebody listened to James Horner's cues that I provided here right now especially since he had such a tragic death :( I hope they or at least some sticks with you. I also hope that you see why I say's he is legendary and was so great. He had such a great following back then I mean like I said he was basically My Grandpa's favorite and We always talked about him. There's a lot more that James Horner did in the 80s, these are just what I feel is his main entries and what I've always known since then as a youngster and I would hope that this is a good way for any novice to get to know him as well because I'm trying My best ;) I covered other great Horner stuff in PB's Movie Trailer & Zen Topics. Soon I will post his great stuff he did the 90s, in the mean while listen to his wonderful cues that I provided, I would love to talk about them even further ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Movie Score Cues of the Moments: James Horner!!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:27 am

I hope at least one person here, main member or spectator gave all of those great cues especially WIllow, Aliens & Star Trek 2 & 3 a listen, I gave you plenty of time to enjoy it all and I hope you really like James Horner's sound and style because he was truly one of the best and one of the special parts of the 80s & 90s. I mean it was so fun listening to his music and watching these classics and anticipating what was next from him...the same goes for other composers but there was something truly special about Horner :) So now here we go with some of the great and maybe even surprising music that he composed in the 90s :)

Tales From the Crypt: E3 “Cutting Cards” of S2 - 1990: Yes, he did a tiny bit of cool music for the great Tales from the Crypt show :o If you know him and/or faithfully listen to his cues I provided before then you know he's quite a versatile composer. This is really different for him and it is a very fun one :blww:

Another 48hrs. (90) - This here sounds a bit like his Commando score. One great thing I love about scores is when you listen to'em, you can just hear that decade, envision & feel it and boy you really can with Horner. If your a person like Me that cares about the past, this is something very important :)

The Rocketeer (91) - This is a magical piece from a great movie and one of the last of it's kind. I believe people has really forgotten about music, giving no time to it, what it can do for a person and this is a pure wonderful example of that and what Horner did for movies and I have always loved this ;)

Patriot Games (92) - This is truly a wondrous piece :)

The Pelican Brief (93) - This one is from 30 years ago this year, another dandy cue :)

We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story (93) - Another 30th anniversary one, since he did The Land Before Time it was great they chose him for this great one :)

Clear And Present Danger (94) - This is another tremendous one.

He was really busy in the great year of 1995, here's his fantastic pieces to Braveheart, Apollo 13, Casper, Jumanji & Jade :)

Ransom (96) - This was a great one during the year of change :)

Titanic (97) - Horner won an Oscar for this being the best original score :!: Now I have always thought that he should have won Awards for others that I posted like Krull & Willow but yeah, those critics and Myself have never seen eye to eye much less ever been on the same page :wwsmh: :batsmh: :smsmh:

Like 95, Horner did a number in 98 so here's Mighty Joe Young, The Mask of Zorro & Deep Impact which all of these are so fantastic :)

In 1999, Horner only composed one score and that was the nice one for Bicentennial Man :)

I hope you listen and enjoy those, next I will post what James Horner did in the 2000s, until then ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Previous

Return to General Discussions