Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Gorilla Godd & TDK Joker 13" figures!

This line is known for its creative and often comic artist influenced sculpts featuring a figure catalog that spans from the Golden Age of DC Comics to the modern New 52. No era is off limits!

Gorilla Godd & TDK Joker 13" figures!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:58 pm

So here is My lonesome Gorilla Grodd DC DIrect figure. First, before we go and see him please allow Me to say a couple things about DC Direct. Long ago, oh about twenty years ago THIS YEAR :o I was so excited to collect DC Direct. I wanted a complete collection of DC characters (I was longing for it since I was regretting not getting Kenner/Hasbro's figures in the later parts of the 90s) and I wanted the Doomsday but he was way too hard to find and way, way too expensive. So I just I got some figures to see if I could just have a small collection since these figures were really costly. So I got the Batman HUSH series and I loved how they looked (I loved that Ras Al Gul and Black Mask) but the quality absolutely...I mean really,really, sucked :roll: ...I mean as worse and as frail as McFarlane & NECA's quality of the early days :x They were so fragile and broke on Me and just depressed Me so much I sold them uber-cheap and put DC Direct way back on My list of companies. However, as you know, I loved their Cover Girls of DC Statues so click that link that I have provided if you haven't seen them already or if you wanna take another gander at that hotness or just look in the DC Direct section for them as I showcased them greatly ;)

Anyway, My first DC Direct figure ever was Gorilla Grodd. I loved the character previously so I had to have him and expected such greatness for this line but again, I was so disappointed with the pathetic standard of the company. So I got him (I remember Me and My Grandma @ Rally's thinking oh boy, I got this great food plus when I get home I get to open Gorilla Grodd :!: ). Here is some pics of him.

Now, the sculpting, color scheme and paint wash is dandy, don't get Me wrong about that. That was one of THE MAJOR factors and important aspects of thinking about collecting this line is the first darn place!

He is made of a rather thin plastic that I am not a fan of whatsoever. Grodd's POA is extremely limited, he is supposed to move at the neck, shoulders and hips via cut joints and has hinged elbow & knee joints but they are so tight I can barley move them. As it is, I am afraid to move him so I just got him in a decent and acceptable pose so his he is basically like a statue :roll:

I love his huge belly and overall gorilla physique :)

The Copyright on his left foot :!:

Here is a comparison of him with Mattel's DCUC Killer Croc V2. I featured him in My huge great showcase DCUC: DOOMSDAY IS HERE! So, He came out about five or so years later after Mattel got their licences to make DC figures after Hasbro's ran it's course. When I originally got them I thought maybe this would make up for the DC Direct disappointment of the past and it kinda did despite some quality among other issues with Mattel. As you see, with exceptions, he...along with other DCUC could fit within the series or vice versa.

DC Direct The Dark Knight movie Deluxe The Joker. So moving on, here is Heath Ledger's The Joker from TDK! As a collector of 1/6-12" scale figures, I wanted to get this figure despite My issues with DC Direct years prior. All is fine with POA, the sculpting, paint and clothing. He has a good likeness. His body is OK quality and has many POA that you would expect but he isn't ultra articulated that avid 1/6 collector's would desire. He is kinda larger than some 1/6 figures when you compare him to the likes of Sideshow & Hot Toys among others. He is actually about 13" tall :o Now, I have misplaced his jacket and other accessories but I did locate his sidearm and stand. His gun is nice but his stand is really not detailed and is really generic looking but it does it's job well.

Here is a size comparison of him with Mattel's Movie Masters The Joker and also with Mattel's oversized 14" Batman Begins figure. You can see how large The Joker is next to him!

Well, that's all, this all of My DC Direct figures. Just them two and My Cover Girls of DC Statues at that link. I hope you have enjoyed this, comments and questions please :D
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Gorilla Godd & TDK Joker 13" figures!

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:06 am

Really dig that Grodd figure! It looks great in it's simplicity. :)
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:08 pm

DC Direct had some great figures but I always hated that there wasn't any uniformity amongst them. I mean, wouldn't you want to entice people to buy more by making everything similar? I'll still buy a figure or two if there's a head I like for a custom, but the darn things are so fragile. Grodd looks nice, though.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:25 am

AcidDragon wrote:Really dig that Grodd figure! It looks great in it's simplicity. :)

I'm glad you like him AcidDragon, thanks a lot dude :)

packerbacker180 wrote:DC Direct had some great figures but I always hated that there wasn't any uniformity amongst them. I mean, wouldn't you want to entice people to buy more by making everything similar? I'll still buy a figure or two if there's a head I like for a custom, but the darn things are so fragile. Grodd looks nice, though.

Ah, I see you have had your issues with DC Direct as well. I don't blame you about the custom head stuff either because those sculpts are darn good. Thanks Packer :batsmile:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Return to DC Direct/DC Collectibles