Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

HasLabs Engine of Vengeance

Discuss the latest news on Marvel Legends, Marvel Universe and other toy lines based on your favourite Marvel comics personalities!

Re: HasLabs Engine of Vengeance

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:30 pm

Nah, the Marvel Select Mephisto blows this one out of the water.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:53 am

I'm not into these but I'd thought I'd give a comparison if I may ;)

I agree with Acid, this one looks way, way better IMO :!:

Gosh, $350 :o I am not familiar with this look. He looks ok. What the heck makes him more desirable besides added POA and a few fancy paint apps :? I mean you get Ghost Rider and his car with him right :?: I can't believe these insane prices :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

Gosh, back in the day I was happy getting MLs & FF4s with their vehicles for $15 or less at Target...I just can't believe this backer & crowdfunding stuff :roll:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:11 am

Well, the $350 was for Ghost Rider if 9,000 people backed it. At 10,000 you got a Madeline Pryor as well. Mephisto was 11,000 and Damian Hellstrom was 12,000. It barely got past 5,000 in the end so none if them are getting made. In the end, that Ghost Rider was a lousy choice for something so expensive, and I think adding highly in demand characters like Mephisto to it angered more than interested potential subbers. None of it matters now, I guess.

I still haven't opened my Galactus. I will eventually. The box is beautiful, it's a shame they didn't put a window on it but then they'd anger the tree huggers for wasting plastic.

The Diamond Select Mephisto is much better anyway. I feel like the face is a little off, but at least he's the right colors. And you get that awesome throne. Pretty cool what $14.99 used to buy you.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:18 pm

I think part of the problem is that there's no real specific theme, it's too broad. "Oh, it's all horror and demons themed." That's too general. It's like they got someone with no interest in comics to randomly point at what they think is cool. Like they let Aunt Edna go in blind and she's like "Yeah, Jimmy likes cars. Jimmy likes skeletons. Jimmy likes Satan. Jimmy likes half naked girls." Also, I don't think that Ghostrider has the same popularity as Galactus and the Sentinel. Also, with the Sentinel, you're going to get multiple buys to army build from people with deeper pockets even if they have no interest in the add-on tiers so it has that going for it.

With Galactus, you have 2 high demand characters for people who actually would want Galactus and you have Silver Surfer which for me, I actually wanted because I don't own him anyway and the ones they released were all exclusives in a store that is in the US only so my only option to get Silver Surfer is paying over $100 for him (after shipping) so that basically shaves $100 off the asking price for Galactus someone like me.

The problem is that you're running out of giant characters that people would be interested in on the level of Galactus. I don't think Fin Fang Foom has the draw of those two but you might get some interest with an 80s/90s style Mandarin, Melter and I dunno, Justin Hammer? The important thing is you have to keep their looks consistent with era or you're just annoying people. It's not "clever" to think you can hook more people in by making them from all different eras because then everyone just feels like they're paying $400 for one out of four items because they don't even want the other three.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:55 pm

Yeah, the add-ons were random like it's 1985 and we have to worry about Tipper Gore crusading against selling devil worshipping toys. I get it, you can't sell Marvel's Satan at retail, but this was a bad idea because a lot of people probably don't know or care about this GR.

I mean, they don't all have to be $400 items. Or giant characters. I don't know. Fantasticar with First Apperance FF? 19" Goliath and some Masters of Evil characters for like $150-$200? X-men Raven? SHIELD helicarrier? I can't think of too much that would entice people at such a high price point.

With GI Joe and Star Wars you've got an ungodly number of vehicles to choose from. Not so much with Marvel. And they aren't really as necessary or carry the nostalgia from childhood.

That being said, I bet if they put Mephisto, Maddie, and Hellstrom out as a Pulse exclusive 3-pack for $100 they sell out in minutes. Hell (lol), through Satanna and a cheap Zarathos in there for a 5=pack.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:09 am

I see. Well Hasbro just wants to darn much. Oh really, I didn't see that you received him already unless you didn't say about it. Yeah, like I said, it was sweet going into Target getting them for $15 way back when :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Previous

Return to Marvel Toy Discussion