Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed May 08, 2024 7:42 am

I thought you didn't PB. That was a really good promo there of Matt Morgan. It's such a shame he was never world champ and went higher. I loved Scott Steiner, he was a major reason why I watched TNA.

I really liked Goldust's early vignette promos. Here's his second one. They were very cleverly done. I liked how he quoted movies & trivia. Listen to when he says "Who Goes There?" That was the original name of the novel of The Thing from Another World & John Carpenter's The Thing. That's only an example :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed May 08, 2024 1:57 pm

It was a unique gimmick. I think the first I saw it was one they re-enacted the OJ chase. It must've been on the news or Sportscenter or something. I remember thinking, wow, Piper is still around?

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 09, 2024 8:43 am

I didn't think you did PB ;) Yes, Piper looked really good then. This is when he was the Interim President after filling in for President Gorilla Monsoon after he was destroyed by Vader which is one of My all-time fave moments ever in wrestling :!: Times were changing here, only a sample of why I say 96 was a time of change. Now stuff like Goldust is being pushed as the norm, just see Tick-Toc for example...it's everywhere now :o That's Marlena...Goldust's real life wife Terri Runnels aka Alexandra York from WCW...I liked her as much as Sunny :batrasp: That promo was a great one which set up for their great Hollywood Backlot Match at Wrestlemania 12 :!:

Here's Goldust's in-ring debut at WWF In Your House on October 22, 1995 against Marty Jannetty :!:

Next I will show the Goldust & Razor Ramon feud that made the Goldust & Piper feud possible ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu May 09, 2024 8:57 pm

Saw this announced for Saturday.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 am

Huh, how about that. Hopefully Dynamite Kid Jr. get's a great time here. Since he's against Dax, it should be like a very retro match ;) That promo was very good, amazing how the ticking time bomb/loose cannon gimmick of Brian Pillman was always there :shock:

Okay, now here is the special one that I was waiting for. this was on the 1/15/96 edition of Monday Night Raw. This is when Raw was really changing and the Monday Night Wars took flight :!: Here's this very edgy promo of Goldust with Vinnia Mac at the mic :o :batshock: :wwshock: :smsmh:

NOW, do you remember the recent awesome backstage fight between Cody Rhodes & "The Final Boss" The Rock and that I said that is was similar like the fight between Goldust & Razor Ramon:?: Well I'm about to show you it :o This is the only video on YT so excuse the bad quality. After the promo you saw above, not too much longer backstage there's a very short promo of Goldust then Razor attacks him in retaliation for everything that Goldust put him through prior for weeks :shock: It get's extreme backstage and they go out in the cold with a lot of snow which I love it when wrestling goes outside especially when it's like that :!: Oh and the little bit of Sunny in the bathtub saying "we did it for almost an hour" was another part of the edgier & sexual theme of the program when she became "more" than a Bodydonna :wwwink: This is one of My fave moments ever in wrestling...now watch :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri May 10, 2024 8:29 pm

I see what you mean. Like I said then, with Rock and Cody both being big on wrestling history, I'm sure the similarity was intentional.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat May 11, 2024 5:38 am

That was really cool there with Outback Jack on Jake's Snake Pit :) Good, I'm glad you saw it like that PB :) Yes, it makes total sense that is the case there :)

OK, here's a superb promo by Goldust before the WWF Royal Rumble 96 :)

I couldn't find the stuff I was looking for but here's just an example at the WWF Royal Rumble 96. This was Marlena's debut :)

More tomorrow :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat May 11, 2024 10:59 am

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun May 12, 2024 4:32 am

Oh yes, the match of Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes in AEW. That is still AEW's most iconic match & time to date. See, companies like WWE thinks stuff like this ain't good enough but see what happens when you give it a ago. WCW did a lot stuff that still get's backlash but they had guts and they did this & that, There's been so many things in wrestling, movies etc. that wasn't done & made that would have been great but of course we'll never know how they would have been because of their decisions :roll: It was a very long time with something like that when you consider battles between brothers since Bret & The Bulldog in 92 though Bret & Owen in 94 was like a tie there :shock:

Okay, so at the WWF Royal Rumble Razor Ramon loses the Intercontinental Championship to Goldust :o I was really stoked about that. The next night on Raw he faces WWF World Champ Bret Hart in a non-title bout. It's really cool, in fact this entire Monday Night Raw is one of the best episodes in it's entire history not to mention one of My faves, There's a promo of Goldust right away in the beginning with a nice look at Marlena during it too. The match is also fun :)

A while later on another episode of Raw this is when the Piper & Goldust stuff started with Razor Ramon calling him out after his rematch with Goldust :!:

More tomorrow :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:49 pm

Chico!

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc