Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu May 18, 2023 11:46 am

You know, with the sad news of Superstar Billy graham's passing today, I was going to post this promo of his for the Moments of Zen section, but it got me thinking, there are tons and tons of wrestling promos on youtube from the biggest names to the guys who never made it, so I was thinking we'd start another new video thread here with the Promo of the Day! As always, everyone is welcome to post their favorite promos or just any promo that strikes your fancy, you pencil necked geeks!

This one was especially interesting to me because it originally aired five days before I was born!

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri May 19, 2023 8:19 am

I know I'm already breaking the idea of a singular "promo" but my lord, if anything calls for an exception to the rule, than surely...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat May 20, 2023 7:03 am

Great idea for a topic PB, wrestling has a ton of great promos especially in the 80s & 90s. That is some trivia bit about you PB :o

Oh that's a tremendous one of Superstar Billy Graham, he really could give a great time on the mic. He was so underrated.

My first choice for this topic would be The Ultimate Warrior, there was and still nobody that could match his intensity and his wonderfully epic yet epically strange promos. When I first saw him I thought he was like Khan from Star Trek in My youngster brain. That compilation was great however the music really collided there as it was too loud that that YouTuber made...if it was Me I would have simply put the Warrior's theme in the background at a low volume.

OK, so since I'm a tiny bit behind here I'll do 2 as well. Here is this one that I have always loved. When you see these you can see how fantastic wrestling was then and really attracted a youngster Brandon to make wrestling his life :shock:

Oh check this one out :batsmile:

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat May 20, 2023 8:44 am

I miss when Survivor Series was on Thanksgiving Night, it felt more special. I loved Demolition but it felt like Jake had a real good promo going there and had more to say but Demolition suddenly just started shouting over him, lol.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun May 21, 2023 8:47 am

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon May 22, 2023 5:14 am

That was a great one with Piper, amazing he said that stuff! That was some promo by Kevin Sullivan. See he mentioned Mulligan/Windham & Barry & Rotunda. I always thought it was very fascinating who was related to who but I guess I'm one of the very few that did cause it seems like that interest just isn't what it used to be :roll: Yeah, Sullivan's gimmicks ain't far from his real life, believe Me when I say that!

Here is one of the most incredible promos of "Macho Man" Randy Savage, he was one of the best ever and nobody in recent times can touch him IMO. Amazing how Elizabeth would handcuff Hogan in WCW years later in 96! Look at Hogan slamming The Twin Towers I mean The Big Boss Man was over 400 pounds then and Akeem was close to 500 pounds...Hogan made it look so easy :o It was a great time for Wrestlemania 5 in 1989!

Yes, it was great when Survivor Series was on Thanksgiving, I hate it when traditions are are no more :roll: Oh yes, Demolition was one of My favs of all and yes that was a bit awkward that Demolition did that and Jake always gave great promos! Here's The Million Dollar Team to counter act them at the Survivor Series 1989...there's Zeus and the Powers of Pain and Ted Dibiase himself, this was so fun :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon May 22, 2023 10:01 am

Macho Man was one of the best promos. DiBiase was no slouch, either.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 23, 2023 5:54 am

Oh Macho was and Dibiase was too, he was pretty unsung on the mic as he's really never talked about when it came to his mic skills.

Lethal was really good and sounded & acted like Macho and it was like is this for real back then in TNA :?: I really wasn't a fan of it however and when Hogan would do it especially after Macho passed away, it always seemed like they were making fun of him, even years later WWE talent that could never lace up their boots and step toe to toe in the ring with him on any category...I don't know, I might being biased because I liked him so much or maybe not :?

Also, it was something how Brooke "Miss Tessmacher Adams (she's actually from St. Louis) was like WCW's Ms. Hancock/Stacy Keibler 2.0 role wise but it was very hard defeat the latter :batwink:

Here's 2 great promos of Sgt. Slaughter, another good one on the mic. I recall these like it was yesterday, I was in 1990 when he returned and he turned heel against USA...he actually became one of the biggest heels ever IMO. I'll continue this sometime later :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue May 23, 2023 7:29 am

I can see that. Hogan's version does border on mocking, but I think it was in good fun. Lethal's Macho Man and Flair are amazing. I love that very early Black Macho vid way before TNA.

Slaughter was a good promo, too. He really played the character well, so well he got a cartoon role out of it, lol. I'm always amazed at how different AWA Scott Hall looked.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed May 24, 2023 5:34 am

Yeah, I feel that way a lot when Hogan does Macho's impersonation, I can't help to think he is indeed mocking plus the same with others :roll:

Hogan's big turn was shocking but really Slaughter's was too and seems like people really disregard that!

DeBeers was great but yeah, Scott Hall looked way different there in the AWA.

Here's a triple feature for today...here he is in the WWC in 1990, I had expressed My love for the WWC in My WWE BackLash spotlight & results.

Here he is as the Diamond Studd in WCW in 1991. like I said before, this was a precursor to his Razor Ramon gimmick a year later.

Here he is as Razor Ramon in the WWF in 92 when he was allies with Ric Flair during a really cool time :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Next

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc