Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:22 pm

I wasn't watching regularly by then so those were fun to see. As the story goes, Verne Gagne offered the Iron Sheik a bunch of cash to break Hogan's leg and bring the WWF title to the AWA. But the Sheik refused to do it, and because of that loyalty, Vince would always find a way to bring the Sheik back anyway he could when the Sheik which is why he was part of the Triangle of Terror and with the Sultan (Rikishi) a few years later.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:26 am

Yes, that's an interesting story indeed.

Here is Mr. Bob Backlund...see how fast he blinks, for the longest time I noticed The Miz blinking just like that and every time I think why don't the WWE turn him into a nut like Mr. Bob Backlund...they're so interested in redoing everything it would be a major missed-opportunity but of course like so many other times, they never pull the trigger :roll: Anyway here he is addressing the return of The Iron Sheik and notice The Iron Sheik's theme, it's THE SAME THEME The Iron Sheik had at the WWE Hall of Fame :!:

Yes, I knew who The Sultan was long before his debut because of My Figure-Four Newsletters that I showcased in My Vintage Wrestling Topic, that was before the wrestling leaks and stuff made it to online si I guess you could say they were the wrestling internet on paper before wrestling came on the internet in cyberspace. When I first him on Raw way back in late 96 I was like ok, let's see if their right and sure enough they were :o Right when I saw The Sultans's face I knew it was Headskrinker/Street Tough Samoan Fatu because of his eyes, there was no mistake about it cause I had see him for many years prior. This is his debut against Jake the Snake and of course the King is picking on his alcoholic state because Vinnie Mac loves that but this is a pretty good moment none the less. Notice The Iron Sheik & The Sultan's theme, it's THE SAME THEME The Iron Sheik had at the WWE Hall of Fame :!:

Right in the beginning Mr. Bob Backlund says PLEBEIANS!!! Catch it :batwink:

The Sultan would only last a few months more, his true down fall came when he lost to Rocky Maivia (yes Fatu's real life cousin...he wasn't the Rock yet!) and to think the Sultan and "the what heck duo" of Mr. Bob Backlund & The Iron Sheik was supposed to make a new WWF champion in The Sultan but that never happen. Fatu would disappear until 1999 and appear as the man we all know today Rikishsi Phatu yet his previous gimmicks & personas are hardly ever mentioned by WWE much less the WWE Universe. Sadly Mr. Bob Backlund was kinda fading out this time and by time The Sultan disappeared he soon did too and wasn't seen till years later however The Iron Sheik hung in for a while later. I look back on that and I find pretty cool and feel it could have been much more but times were changing.

I'll show more of Mr. Bob Backlund in time because this really wasn't his grand insane moments, that happened in 94 & 95 so since we're talking about this there's somebody else not too long after the Sultan went away that used his & The Iron Sheik's theme which is really one of the best themes that Jim Johnston ever wrote, he was managed by The Iron Sheik too which I'll post his tron and promo tomorrow ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:21 pm

31 years ago today...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:41 am

Yes, that a few short months before Bam Bam returned to the WWF, gosh that was a cool time in wrestling. That was a good promo from the Bammer and so many people tend to forgot how great he was :roll:

OK, so here is this that I was talking about yesterday. This is Tiger Ali Singh, this is a great tron and listen to the music, like I said it one of Jim Johnston's best themes or at least I think so. I remember downloaded this way back in 97/98 and I was astounded by it and listened to it countless times. He made his huge debut in the in the second and last ever WWF Kuwait Cup Tournament on April 9, 1997 in Kuwait City. He defeated "The Rocket King of Harts" Owen Hart becoming THE FINAL WWF Kuwait Cup winner and unfortunately this is biggest feat. He was a huge babyface then when he got to WWF Programming things were changed. Again take a look at his tron. Pay attention at 2:23, they show some ancient stuff which i love ancient history. Most noticeable is the Indian female statues there that is thousands of years old. I have always loved busty women but dang, those women statues were really big boobed and I have always had a fascination as to not only how they looked but what their origins were! To bad that history is mostly gone, see what I'm saying when I say if people don't shape up NOW and teach stuff, the future will be like that :!: :x :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

So really there's not a lot of material of Tiger Ali Sing because he lasted as long as the Sultan did :roll: So I chose this one because it has most of everything you need. In this quick match Jim Ross & Jim Cornette are the commentators and list about when they saw THE FIRST RAW IS WAR so I'm saying this since you are a New York/Canadian PB :o ;) . He is managed by The Iron Sheik and his legendary father Tiger Jeet Singh :o Every time I see Jinder Mahal since he became The Maharaja, I think of him as Tiger Ali Singh 2.0 yet I never have seen anybody ever talk about that :roll: Tiger is actually an Indo-Canadian like Mahal too and this short match takes plays in New York and look, he's holding the Canadian Flag! Tiger has his short little promo at the end, he was good on the mic :batsmile:

I loved Tiger, I thought he had a great gimmick and he looked great as well. Like so many good gimmicks & wrestlers, they turned them into comedy acts & jokes that just ruins the great thing that their not and Tiger was really turned into a major joke wheich I'm not getting into now :roll: So that's that for today :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:04 pm

I remember Tiger Ali. Vince always liked to have his foreign villains.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:10 am

That is good. I loved the Fabulous Rougeaus. Jimmy Hart had some great guys. Here's one with him and "The Canadian" Earthquake & "Canada's Strongest Man" Dino Bravo, they were great too. 89 & 90 were great wrestling years :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:19 pm

I always like Dino Bravo.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:17 am

Oh yes and I loved how earthquake was then too, arguably even more than Akeem :o Ted Arcidi was great too, shame he didn't make as far as he could have :roll:

Here's another Strongman who was know as the World's Strongest Mas as well at a different time, Ken Patera :!: Now this has a little story to tell, I'm not sure if you know this or recall it or not.

Patera made one heck of a Promo but watch Gene, he's trying not to laugh :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

Here's the MCDONALD'S INCIDENT and be warned, Ken is a bit nasty here :shock:

Here's a reason one how he looks now and listen what he says :o

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:06 pm

That promo needed a second take, lol. He was stumbling pretty bad over his words. Yeah, I know about Patera going to jail. They covered some of that on a Darkside of the Ring episode.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:46 am

OK good. Ivan was great. Since we're on a strongman kick here, here is nice promo of Bill Kazmaier during his brief time in WCW. He was The World's Strongest Man untill Mark Henry broke his record :o

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc