Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Postby 1987olds442 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Here is a Supes that I just started for a fellow Fwoosher.

Last edited by 1987olds442 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby HectorHall » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:32 pm

is that a head cast, how do you do them? Help me obi won you're my only hope.
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby HectorHall » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:32 pm

is that a head cast, how do you do them? Help me obi won you're my only hope.
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:34 pm

That looks like it's coming along great, olds. Hey Hector, if you have any casting questions, I can probably answer them too. I've experimented with a lot of different casting methods over the years.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 1987olds442 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:00 pm

HectorHall wrote:is that a head cast, how do you do them? Help me obi won you're my only hope.

It is indeed a casting, but I don't have any experience casting myself. I order 99% of my castings from Casting Cave http://castingcave.ecrater.com/ They have expanded their inventory a lot and their quality is top notch. They have a great sale going on now too, but I have to warn you these things are like crack... :joklol:
Last edited by 1987olds442 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby HectorHall » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:18 pm

ok, holy crap thanks for the link. Can these be boiled to pop on? how do they dremel? and thanks again.
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby HectorHall » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:21 pm

AcidDragon wrote:That looks like it's coming along great, olds. Hey Hector, if you have any casting questions, I can probably answer them too. I've experimented with a lot of different casting methods over the years.

I have seen kits at the Hobby Lobby, are they worth anything? Can I work the casted head? Will they boil to pop on?
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby 1987olds442 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:25 pm

HectorHall wrote:ok, holy crap thanks for the link. Can these be boiled to pop on? how do they dremel? and thanks again.

You will hate me later after on the fifth or sixth order... LOL... They usually mold them with the neck peg holes in tact, so some can just be pop on and others have to be drilled out.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:59 pm

HectorHall wrote:
AcidDragon wrote:That looks like it's coming along great, olds. Hey Hector, if you have any casting questions, I can probably answer them too. I've experimented with a lot of different casting methods over the years.

I have seen kits at the Hobby Lobby, are they worth anything? Can I work the casted head? Will they boil to pop on?

Hobby Lobby's kits work just fine. Micro-mark also makes decent kits but they're more expensive but the quality is a lot better on the molds. The best stuff is Smooth-On but you're looking at a lot more money there but you can produce very high quality results and they have a lot of options. I meant to produce a tutorial on this before the launch of the site but I couldn't find the time and now it's snowing outside at -40°C and I don't have a garage to do this in. I still have a lot of my stuff, though. It has a shelf life but it's not nearly as short as they'll tell you at the store. You don't want to do this in a basement with the windows closed. It's seriously extremely unhealthy (deadly) and you don't want to get it on your skin, either. Wear latex gloves.

If you just work outside or have a shed/garage to work in with the doors open, it's perfectly safe. You can definitely work the casted head. A good mold can yield you 50 heads before it starts ripping/falling apart. The Hobby Lobby resins harden significantly harder than the rubbery urethane heads that have a much lower shore hardness so you might have to drill them to get them to fit on the neck peg if you molded it exact but otherwise you could use a softer end product material (not usually available at Hobby Lobby) which would get you a much closer result to a real toy head (hard but still soft enough to bend without breaking, can be popped on with pressure or light heat). I'm making it seem a lot scarier than it is, it really isn't, I just want to make sure that anyone who attempts this does it safely. :batwink:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HectorHall » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:00 pm

you guys are awesome, thanks!
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs