Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

31 Days of Halloween: Death of the Day

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

31 Days of Halloween: Death of the Day

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:55 pm

Anyone remember those old Real Men of Genius beer commercials? The ones where the salute creative solutions?

Well, I was thinking of that the other day, and I had an idea for a Halloween thread. I love the old slasher movies of the 80s. they don't really make them like that anymore. It was a simpler time, and the special effects were cruder and the kills weren't quite as gory. It was a time of innocence and naivety. You could only end someone's life with a machete so many times before it got redundant, so movies had to constantly invent new ways to die. So let's celebrate those moments all month long!

Now I won't be going into the more gory gore for the sake of gore stuff that pervaded films like Saw and Hostel and stuff, those types of films never did much for me. We'll probably stick to those halcyon days where things were done by folks with latex and corn syrup.

So let's start with one of my favorite murderdeathkills growing up, and that would be poor, poor Jane. Jane broke one of the cardinal rules of horror movies: celibacy makes you invincible!

But much like Brooke Shields and her Calvins, there wasn't much coming between Jane and that sleeping bag. Well, Dan Carter may have, butJsaon went all One Punch Man Mola Ram on him from behind! Kali ma, indeed!

Hilarious!

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: 31 Days of Halloween: Death of the Day

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:58 am

Well this is all great PB. I hope you and everybody else ain't that squeamish cause I got some I know and possibly you do not. That one there is from My favorite Friday the 13th movie. It's so amazing how Harry Mandfredini's music is for Jason :blbat:

Well, while there was kills in Universal Monsters and other before the 60s, the first most iconic kill was in 1960's Psycho. Everybody was so obsessed about Marilyn Monroe at this point and time and don't get Me wrong she was great looking but dang, there was far more women other than her. Janet Leigh was great too and way more talented IMO. Here's the infamous shower scene. Notice how she has to stay still for a long period of time there and how Bernard Herrmann's score is terrifying :blww:

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:12 am

Now Psycho was pretty brutal for the time in 1960 however the death scenes in Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein in 1948 was pretty bold. When I was a youngster and really I still feel that way, I hate it when The Monster throws Sandra out the Window. This was during a time when I was developing that Women are special and shouldn't be hurt, seeing She-Ra was the first when I realized this at such a young age. This is the movie that officially killed off Universal's Dracula & Wolfman as they both fell to their deaths and when Frankenstein just burns through the dock, it's quite pitiful really :roll: Frank Skinner's music really fits the scenes however :blaq: :scmm: :blbat: :blww: :blsm:

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:12 am

I've never seen that Abbott and Costello all the way through. Maybe I'll try this year.

Today's Death of the Day goes to you, Tatum Riley. Tatum broke one of those rules, and therefore the garage door broke her...in half.

Remember, kids, don't drink or do drugs.

Obviously someone in this house was liable, as they clearly don't frequent garageinsiders.com or else they would've known that garage safety rule #11 is Test The Safety Sensors’ Reversing Mechanism On A Monthly Basis.

Anyway, to this day there's still a debate over who killed Tatum, was it Billy or Stu?

Truth is, it was garage door maintenance negligence!

So here's to you, Tatum Riley, for just that one night you really Rose to the occasion!

Until tomorrow...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:09 am

Really, that movie is one of the best and really before it's time in ways. The first scream was something else. When I was a teenager then I was like dang, these people are different now. 96 was the year of change. Now when you look at people of today their age, what a difference.

I'm going simple so here's Michael Myers' first kill :o

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:01 pm

Probably should've done this first, but here's a refresher of the Rules...

Of course, those aren't the only rules. This poor security guard didn't really break any of those rules, though it is possible he might've uttered "Who's there?" just before this seen began. Or maybe the Klowns could've said "Knock knock" and that was just edited out?

We'll never know, but alas, poor amusement park security guard, we hardly know ye.

You were just doing your job keeping hooligans from making out in the Tunnel of Love after hours and you died from the too much pie.

Sorry, Dwayne, not those kind of pies. Sadly, these pies were just a faster form of diabetes!

So here's to you Amusement Park Security Guard, all you wanted was to eat your sandwich, but sadly you went straight to dessert.

Top pies out!

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:35 am

Great one PB and that was a clever climax with the "Top Pies" out :lol: Killer Klowns from Outer Space has it's 35th anniversary this year from 1988 :shock: I liked KKFOS, the music is wonderful and so fun by Joe Massari. I loved his 2018 remaster/remake version with Bear McCreary too, in fact it was arguably even better :o

Here's the laser killer scene from Halloween III: Season of the Witch :blbat: :blww: :blsm:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:36 am

I wouldn't have disliked that movie so much if they called it something besides Halloween, it just always annoyed me. I get the reasoning for it, but just call it Season of the Witch.

Johnny Depp had bed issues long before he met Amber Heard.

One thing I love about old slasher movies is seeing what actors became famous after appearing in them. Jaime Lee Curtis...Kevin Bacon...Johnny Depp...Paul Rudd...Breckin Meyer...

Breckin Meyer? That dude with the hair in the thing with the people...

But that's neither hair nor thair. We almost had a completely different Glen Lantz as Wes Craven originally wanted another actor for the role but he allegedly wanted too much money.

So instead Wes Craven's daughter suggested Depp because he was dreamy. Well, dreams turned to nightmares for poor Glen Lantz.

If only Kix would've put their song out a couple years sooner.

Timing is everything, I guess. So here's to you, Glen Lantz, you may' not have made it out alive, but at least you made...a splash.

Until next time, sleep tight, kiddies. If you're lucky, it'll only be the bed bugs that bite!

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:59 am

Oh yes, that one is something from the first Freddy. Amazing how Depp & Bacon were in the first ANOES & FT13 films and look where went :o

OK, we cover Mars Attacks before so here this icon kill scene :blmm:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:09 am

I forgot all the stars that appeared in that film.

Today's Death of the Day, was mind-blowingly from over 40 years ago!

Story goes, when all else failed to deliver the ideal visual, special effects supervisor Gary Zeller had the crew roll film and then exit the area. Once alone, he laid down behind the dummy and fired a shotgun blast through the back of it's head.

And thus, an iconic moment in horror was born...

So here's to you, random ConSec scanner guy, you may've looked like David Cross, but you exploded onto the scene years before him.

If only you had an Excedrin handy!

Coincidentally, this is what I look like when I'm in the car racing home to get to the bathroom!

Then I get there just in time!

And then that sweet, sweet sound of relief!

Don't fight that good sh!t in your ear
Now let me blow ya mind

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions