Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Countdown to Christmas: Christmas Music

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Countdown to Christmas: Christmas Music

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:50 pm

One day I'm going to find a topic that people actually contribute to besides myself and Brandon. Maybe this one will be it.

I like Christmas music as much as the next guy, but some of the stations these days are so homogenized. Especially on SiriusXM. The local FM stations are a little, better, but I can only hear the same Mariah Carey and Andy Williams songs so many times. So since it's hours away from December, I thought I'd start a Christmas song thread in the similar vein to other threads like my toy commercial and the currently resting cartoon thread. So, I'm going to try to post a Christmas song or two daily that might be a little more obscure, they might be humorous or serious. About fifteen years ago I started making my own Christmas CDs that I'd burn for friends where I spliced in audio clips from popular Christmas movies. At one point it was up to 7 or 8 discs I titled A Very Larry Christmas, but sadly most were lost to time and old computers. So, I like to think of myself as a bit of a Christmas music connoisseur, but I'd also love for anyone else who actually clicks on this thread to maybe share some of their favorites or whatever, hey, it's a free forum.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Christmas Music

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:56 pm

Here's a two fir to start (see what I did there, Douglas?) These two always made me laugh when I was a kid and heard them on the radio.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:19 pm

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:44 pm

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:26 pm

I loved The Christmas Toy when I was a kid, and then for the longest time it wasn't on TV. Then around 2000, my gf (now wife) found a VHS copy of it somewhere and gave it to me as a gift (I would often lament to her about old shows and stuff, it's a wonder she stuck around, lol). Mickey's Christmas Carol was another I remember watching on NBC as a kid that was gone from TV for a while, but unlike The Christmas Toy, that's been back on TV in recent years. But The Christmas Toy was finally put out on DVD in 2008 and if you haven't seen it, I couldn't recommend it more. In it's original airings it had an intro with Kermit the Frog since it was produced by Jim Henson that was deleted from the VHS and DVD because if issues with Disney or something. And just now I found out there was actually a Disney channel series in 1994 based on this called The Secret Life of Toys I'm going to need to search out. Anyway, here's Together at Christmas which I always thought was a pretty song...

And here's the deleted Kermit scene...

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:02 pm

Ok, no one seems interested in cartoons and funny Christmas songs, so let's go the opposite direction. Before he was Iron Man, back when he was in and out of rehab, Robert Diwney Jr. appeared on Ally McBeal, a show I'll admit to watching when it originally aired. But because of that I found out about Vonda Shephard who is a really talented singer, and they actually put out a Christmas album from the show including this terrific version of Joni Mitchell's The River performed by Tony Stark himself (with some backup vocals from Vonda Shephard)...

And as a bonus here's a Vonda Shephard song...

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:46 am

Hey PB, I had seen your topic and maybe I should have said something before to hold up My arrival upon it :? I was working on My other stuff for the forum and I posted some new stuff that you may have not seen yet so check it out and by the time I was done I was finished for the day. Just because I didn't reply does't mean I don't notice or don't want to participate within your topic...I'm NOT like other people :!: Like your word game, sometimes it takes Me while to come up with something, it could be even a few day, not everything click with Me right off the bat, just be patient ;)

OK, Christmas hasn't been the same for Me for years and especially in this androgynous & pathetic times. Christmas music is good. When I saw you new new topic I was thinkin' of a small list a couple days ago so here it is.

We always played Elvis songs during Christmas but that was years ago, things have unfortunately changed :roll: I wasn't a big Elvis fan, he was My Grandma's fave. She would put in her special collections from the old record player and later on into the CD player. I do miss them times a lot :roll: I still prefer old school physical media over digital. Anyway, there was only a handful of songs by Elvis that I liked and this is them.

I always liked this classic one too!

This is nice, I bought this at My new local Target and made Me feel good back in the day during 04/05 and I liked playing it now then around the holidays.

Now I don't know if your a fan of movie music, I have been ever since I was real little, My Grandpa taught Me it and it was a passion ever since then. I have a huge movie CD collection too. I even knew a retired low budget composer! I had asked you before about it if you liked movie scores but didn't get any reply from you in your Star Wars EU topic so I never knew if I should start a topic about movie scores & composers like I originally intended, Every time I went to the show for decades (Feb 2020 was My last time as I saw The Birds of Prey & ain't goin' back due to everything that has happen over the past year among other reasons :( I always stayed till the movie WAS ACTUALLY OVER till the very end of the end credits for the Movie Music plus you never know about cut scenes, I told people this to do it but throughout this entire time only 1 couple ever listened to Me and that was when I saw Kong: Skull Island as it had that great cut scene for G:KOTM and they were glad that I stopped them...not to mention how great the music was! What can I say, I'm different :)

I have always loved this, it by Alan Silvestri, one of My fave movie composers of all-time, he did Predator, Back to the Future, the Avengers etc.!

Now this is arguably My fave Christmas music just not for a movie but in general of ever, of all-time! It's just so awesome and I've listened to it countless times since it came out back in 2015 regardless of season but strangely its great for Halloween too :blbat:

So that's Mine for now....I'll take a look at your stuff and I'll be back :batsmile:

OK, I'm back, I just watched your entries, those were good. I wasn't familiar with most of this stuff believe it or not. My fave was the Bob Rivers one. I could tell that was clearly 80s, 87 in particular. That one I found very funny and clever too. Great moments indeed :lol: Keep on postin' more of 'em and I'll post some too PB :)
Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:20 pm

All good songs. I was surprised I actually liked Krampus, I didn't have high expectations but caught it on Fx a year or so ago and thought it was pretty good.

Two versions of the same song...

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:13 am

Ok.

I wasn't familiar with any of those. I liked Dolly's looks and stuff but never got into her music.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:36 am

Could it be my memory is starting to fail me already??? I'm not sure if I'm familiar with the Christmas Toy but you've given me something to watch! I don't know how I could have missed a movie like that as I was a huge Muppets fan back in the day. I saw Krampus a couple years back but it was just OK to me. I always get a kick out of the Pogues. Great song selections here. Some of my own favorites:

"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussions