Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

MONSTERVERSE: Let's talk Godzilla x Kong!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: MONSTERVERSE: Let's talk Godzilla x Kong!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:59 am

I posted some interesting stuff about the success of the movie as well as Ghostbusters on the previous page with a little bit of My own history so check that out if you haven't already :)

So before you see the awesome movie PB, here's a great trailer compilation to get you even more excited :) I like how Rebecca Hall as Dr. Ilene Andrews, Monarch Head of Kong Research narrates these...she has a very good voice :batwink:

I said before how much I love the IMAX screen and that I saw many blockbusters and even some horror films like Stephen King's IT. It's a huge screen...50 feet by 50 feet. I don't recall you saying to Me PB if you have seen films on the IMAX screen or not or if your local theater has one :?: Back in 2014 when the MonsterVerse started with Godzilla, they made a special edited version of the IMAX intro with Godzilla stomping & roaring. It was extremely loud, IMAX is quite loud normally with the huge speakers but it was one of the loudest ever that I experienced. Here's that intro :)

So here's a special IMAX video. The guy with the big beard is Adam Wingard, the director of the film plus the director of Godzilla vs. Kong as well :)

Now if I would being going to the show, one of the major things I do is prepare Myself about the score if possible because they weren't always available before hand. If they were I'd listen to them multiple times and get that feeling going then I know what kind of sound personality the movie has. It was always a fun experience and it didn't matter what genre it was whether it was for a monster, horror, action, sci-fi, drama, comedy or animation film :) So Tom "Junkie XL" Holkenborg composers the score and has the a similar sound like he did for Godzilla vs. Kong which is good because you want the sequel to have the same sounding as previous entry so it seems like a continuation. He has co-composed this with Antonio Di Iorio which he helped Holkenborg with GvK, the Sonic the Hedgehog movies, Terminator: Dark Fate, Alita: Battle Angel and many others. Here's the Main Title Theme for the film which is only 2:50 which is pretty short, it's an excellent cue :)

Now once you see the film and collect yourself...talk all you want about the film HERE, I know a bit of the spoilers but that's ok but put spoilers anyway PB if you feel that is needed. Also let Me know your thoughts of the movie as well as your son of what he thinks too :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:15 pm

So we saw it this afternoon. It's good. I couldn't help think 80% of the film is CGI so it felt like I was watching the in-between scenes of a video game. It's more a Kong film than a Godzilla. I don't want to say too much, but I felt like it spent too much time building up to the villains and not really much time with them. But my kids all liked it. My older two know next to nothing about Godzilla, and yesterday my daughter went to see Ghostbusters, and my older son saw the new Kung Fu Panda film and they both said GxK was much better. My daughter said Ghostbusters was really boring. A shame. I never saw the one before it so not really too interested in the new one.

GxK was much more kid friendly. All the deaths were kind of offscreen and implied besides one. I was really surorised how violent and dark Kong Skull Island and even KOTM were. Comparatively, this felt much more like the 1970s era kiddie Godzilla.

It's good, but I'm more into Godzilla than Kong, and Godzilla isn't on screen as much, and I felt like the end battle was too short, but it also made me think of Man of Steel and the sheer number of buildings destroyed which would've had so much death involved. I don't know. I have mixed feelings on it right now. I think I wanted a little more than what this was. It felt like it wanted to touch on a lot of things but brushed over a lot of ideas. There was no post credits scene so where they go from here, I don't know.

After seeing it I read an interview from Wingard and he said this film was more about making Kong into King kong, and the next film would probably be more about Godzilla, which would be cool, but who would be in it? I'm glad this was less about human drama, I just wished the bad guys felt like more of a threat then they ended up being.

You were mostly right on your guesses. Off on a couple minor things, but not the main plot.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:53 am

Well good that I was right on a lot of that ;) Yes, you don't feel that way with the original Godzilla & Kong movies because most of it is real stuff. Your older kids got some catching up to do about Godzilla :shock: That's something that your kids saw the other big films. I never thought I'd hear somebody say that a Ghostbusters movie was boring :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smummm: I saw the first new one called Ghostbusters: Afterlife a while back and while I didn't find that one "boring", I didn't find it as fun as the previous two. Later on I'll spotlight that one in your Movie Trailers Topic. Well I'm not surprised, even if the Godzilla & Kong movie isn't perfect, it's still one of the most exciting and usually this goes every time.

Was there a ton of people there to see :?: Was your son really thrilled about it like he can't wait to see the next one or see it again :?:

Huh, yeah I see what your talking about it being more kid friendly. You see a lot of that damage in these movies but they usually don't focus on the casualties. Amazing that there was no post credits scene. I figured that this was more of a Kong film than a Godzilla film. When I watched the Alien vs. Predator films I always thought it was more Aliens than Predator. Same thing with Batman vs. Superman, it was more about Batman. I can see them making a Kong movie making him "King". I'd really love an origins Godzilla film of where the species began. The made a similar one in the comics with an ancestor which I mentioned this before...it was called Dagon which his skeleton was seen in the first MonsterVerse film. Their coming up with some great new Titans which don't forget, I posted the pics from KOTM about the other Titans were just on those graphics. I'd love to see how they do Baphomet which I think they could make that as a modern take on what Toho's scrapped story of Godzilla vs. the Devil. I would love it if they'd bring back more Toho Kaijus as well.

You might have to see the movie again sometime later, sometimes certain movies need another watch to get the whole feeling, that happens to Me sometimes.

Well there's much more to talk about here like more of the MonsterVerse that hasn't really been covered here yet ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:45 pm

It was a Wednesday matinee, so there may've been 10 other people in there. Still, coast almost $200 to go after tickets were about $73 for 6 people, then popcorn, drinks, candy, and some pretzel bites. Luckily we had $100 gift card and my mother-in-law split the cost with us, so it didn't cost anything out of pocket. Yeah, we could've gotten less food, but the prices are insane. Worse than even sporting events.

I think my son liked it, but I think he was disappointed in how much Godzilla was in it, too. I read an article that said Godzilla was on screen for about 8 minutes, and a lot of that was just "let's check up on Godzilla" for a minute or so, and then the big fight at the end. Hopefully he gets more screen time next time. It just felt like KIng Scar wasn't as imposing a threat. You can't watch KOTM and not be impressed by King Ghidorah. Even Mechagodzilla. I didn't get the feeling that King Scar was ever a major threat, especially without that crystal in hand. And I'm not sure they really explained the crystal well or how it worked, just that he controlled Shimo "through pain" or something like that. It just seemed like not enough time was spent developing either. I said the humans weren't as big a focus, but they kind of were still, and maybe we could've gotten less time
Spoiler:
with the Iwis
and more time with the villains. Maybe there's a director's cut? I don't know, it probably could've used another 20 minutes. KOTM was about 20 minutes longer, while GvK had about the same runtime as this.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:20 am

Gosh, it cost that darn much to go to the show now :o :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: That is insane :shock: Geesh, like I said before when I used to go to the show, Marcus had $5 Tuesdays and I'd see 4 movies for that price in one night and while their food was kinda high, it really wasn't that expensive....I just checked, their prices did go up. Dang, I can't believe that :roll: That's good your Mother-in-law did that.

Gosh, your son didn't go into details with you if he liked the film or not...what he really liked or disliked :?: Man when I was a youngster and even teenager I couldn't stop talking about the movie We just saw...I'd always ask My parents & My Mom's boyfriend what was your favorite scene, what didn't you like about about it, how did you like the music..I still did that in My later years with My Mom & Auntie Wanda. I've always been excited about movies :) Yeah I can understand about wanting more Godzilla, that's nothing I will have be the judge about Skar King...King Ghidorah was a great monster villains. There's been many movies that had a great villain they didn't focus on much before but they still turned out to be really cool. There's also many times when they don't explain things either. Oh the Iwis are a big part of Skull Island so focusing on them a bit I feel is necessary. I don't think there's going to be a directors's cut but since Wingard is a big Kaiju fan there might be. I never cared about how long a movie is...I've always wanted more for the buck and especially how high the prices are now but more importantly for character development & story. I mean if your interested in something, it doesn't matter how long it is and how fast time goes by now a 2 hour + movie is nothing. The other week I saw somebody saying they never got into Star Wars movies because their over 2 hours...I thought that was so ridicules :roll: Many movies seem to lack that and that's because of the time constraints crap. Movies would be so much better if they wouldn't do that. Prometheus for a huge example is a bit of a mess because so much was deleted. I've watched those deleted scenes and it boggles Me of why they chose to delete them because of the importance those scenes were as if they were left in the movie would have made way more sense and been complete.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby OneNineSix » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:45 pm

Guess I know what I'm using my free tickets from work on.
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:48 am

Congrats ONS, it's pretty cool when you got free tickets :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:18 am

OK, now I said before I want to keep this going as there's plenty to talk about. Keep up with Me with My updates & new posts ;) Well, here's this from a little while ago :)

GxK 12.jpg

GxK 13.jpg

I'm sure glad that that the movie is doing good in the theaters :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:41 pm

Good to see it's doing well. Makes it more likely there'll be another one.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:27 am

Yes it sure is :)

I got a bit to talk about here. First I just found out that Legendary Pictures and Apple TV+ announced that they greenlit a second season of Monarch: Legacy of Monsters plus many Monsterverse spin-off series'...this is going to be awesome :!:

Okay, now you already seen this movie PB. I was thinking about what kind of Easter Eggs there is in the film without spoiling to much for Myself and I found a bit. I'm not sure if you and you son noticed these because it's always hard when your excited about a movie seeing it the first time and you only seen it once so far. Stuff like this you gotta see it a few times to catch everything. Okay, on Bernie Hayes' jacket, he has a load of buttons, pins & badges. Most mean something. The three most important ones he has is pins of The Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot and a badge of a Velociraptor :!:

OK, now this was back in 2020. As you know, the creatures in the MonsterVerse are called Titans, in Pacific Rim their called Kaiju like the original Japanese name. Check this out which you'll see why I'm posting this in a sec.

GxK 17.jpg

Now when Godzilla is in Rome. There's a scene there nodding to Godzilla Minus One of how he stomps on the ground or something like that. On the wall there's graffiti art depicting Godzilla eating Pizza hence he's staying in Italy. With this picture there is a several Easter Eggs hinting at a possible future now follow Me here from left to right in this pic I made :shock: There's Knifehead there from the first Pacific Rim :shock: There's the Mysterious Bones of the Turtle Creature in 1964's Mothra vs. Godzilla...what could this mean because it's origins are still unknown :batconfused: There's the Xilien UFO from the Astro Monster...holy crap, are aliens coming in the MonsterVerse besides Monster Zero :?: Look at that, there's fist there and it says PUNCH, PUNCH, PUNCH...that's Jet Jaguar's fist and the title of his theme song and below that it says Save me with Hedorah's eyes there :smgasp: Oh man that is cool :wwshock: Will Jet Jaguar & The Smog Monster appear in the MonsterVerse in the future :?: I would love to see how a modern American take on them will be :)

GxK 16.jpg

Also I found out that Kong's B.E.A.S.T. Glove is actually like a prototype of Gypsy Danger's arm in Pacific Rim as there is a blue print in the film :!: What this all means is that the MonsterVerse is acknowledging that Pacific Rim exists leaning even more to a possible crossover in the future :wwshock: :batshock: :smgasp:

GxK 14.jpg

Wow, how about that, now that is something else. I'm blown away a bit ;)

What are your thoughts on all of this :?: I got plenty more to come soon :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions