Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Stay Tooned!!!--The End!?????

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Stay Tooned!!!--down in Taz-Mania

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:53 pm

Hmm, I don't remember any X-men cartoons before Pryde of the X-men unless you're counting the Amazing Friends episode The X-men Adventure which was supposed to be a backdoor pilot of sorts. It would've included Lady Lightning (Carol Danvers) and Videoman, but it never got off the ground after that episode where they fought the wannabe Tharok.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:09 am

I actually never watched the X-Men cartoons but I did get the figures. I probably only watched 1 maybe 2 episodes. It was a different time for Me. Actually, really I didn't watch many comic cartoons like the movies other than MOTU an stuff like that to be honest. The only ones I did was briefly the DCSP, the original Scooby with Batman & Robin and then the new Batman series from 92. Now I loved that one, I liked how dark and violent it was. In fact it was one of My must see-can't miss tv shows :o I regret not getting more figures from that one though :roll:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:31 pm

...the lowest form of television content that isn't the national news.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:18 am

So what is coming soon :? :?: :batconfused: :wwsmh: :smgasp:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Stay Tooned!!!--The End!?

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:29 pm

Ha, well, okay, I'll tell you. I used to have more fun doing these. I mean, in all honestly how this thread started and where it went was never my intention. I figured, everyone watched cartoons at some point, so a thread like this would garner lots of responses. But alas, no, that wasn't always true. So, while I still had several shows to get to from my list, I was thinking of giving the thread a rest for a time. But then I thought, well maybe if someone opened the last page and it was the first time they ever read anything in the thread, they might not know what they missed but they also might not want to expend the energy sorting through long posts and responses trying to find the zeitgeist of the thread. So then I thought, maybe some kind of summary of certain cartoons I wrote about prior. Like a flashback! And all that thinking got me thinking about the laziest effort of an established television show...

The clip show!

A clip show is an episode of a television series that consists primarily of excerpts from previous episodes. Most clip shows feature the format of a frame story in which cast members recall past events from past installments of the show, depicted with a clip of the event presented as a flashback. That Simpsons clips is pretty relevant because one device shows often use for a clip show is a character being in the hospital, and then all the gathering characters reminisce about past events from the series that are then shown in clips from prior episodes. While not really an injury that would require a long hospital stay, remember when we talked about the horrifying testicular torsion in The Venture Bros post?

general-discussions/stay-tooned-down-in-taz-mania-t1096-170.html
packerbacker180 wrote:But it wasn't all zany action, blood and voilence combined with foul language and lewd conduct. Oh, no. It was also a learning experience. Thanks to the Venture Bros. I now know the horror of testicular torsion.

Yikes, my groin hurts just watching that. Hahaha. But I'm not even sure how you could create a quasi clip show like post in a forum. Why, you'd have to be some kind creative genius to even conceive of such a thing. But I'm just a simple man, and something like that is beyond me. So I think it'd be best just to let the thread rest for a time. But hey, maybe I'll revisit it down the line. Maybe I'll clear my junk. Maybe I'll just get drunk on apple wine. Me, I'll be just fine...

Oops, sorry. I kind of veered off on a tangent as I'm oft to do, that actually devolved into the lyrics of Hard Candy Christmas from an 80's musical called The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas starring Dolly Parton and Mr. Burt Reynolds.

But,that song was also parodied by The Venture Bros.' archnemesis the Monarch, Henchman 21 and Henchman 24 in a Christmas song the show released one holiday season. You probably noticed reading these that my mind often wanders off in the middle of posts like that and just in the typing will often lead to me writing about something completely different and unexpected, like that time the Gummi Berry Juice recipe devolved into Mambo No. 5....

general-discussions/stay-tooned-down-in-taz-mania-t1096-190.html
packerbacker180 wrote:The Gummi Bears lived in a hollow tree called Gummi Glen, a magical tree filled with a vast system of tunnels and rooms that would make the Dulce Base look like a broom closet. The Gummies harvest Gummiberries used to make Gummiberry Juice a concoction first only known by the elder Grammi Gummi, until she later teaches it to Sunni Gummi. The juice is produced by adding six handfuls of red berries, then four orange berries, three purple berries, four blue berries, three green berries and one yellow berry. Then take one step left and one step right. One to the front and one to the side. Clap your hands once and clap your hands twice. And if it looks like this then you're doing it right.

Some of that my actually be a Lou Bega song.

Curiously enough, music, and song is also another staple of a clip show where a popular song, or even the characters themselves singing, is used to show a montage of scenes from prior episodes. I like musicals. Some people consider them unmasculine, but give me a song and dance and I'll be tapping my feet. But not all things musical are successful, sometimes, people aren't just ready for brillaince (trust me, I know). Take Cop Rock for instance, Cop Rock was a Stephen Bochco police show that often had the characters burst in to song in the middle of a scene. I say it was brillaint, but it sadly lasted only one year. I actually mentioned Cop Rock in the C.O.P.S. post where we talked about fighting crime in the not so future time....

general-discussions/stay-tooned-down-in-taz-mania-t1096-110.html
packerbacker180 wrote:But I digress. COPS took place way off in the future, I'm talking way way off in the distant future of...<checks notes>... 2020? Oops. I dont get why shows hold themselves to dates so close. I mean, sure in 1988 the year 2020 seemed far off, but here we are and there it went and I ain't seen nothing on the news about torso transplants (unless there's an update on George Hodel). With Back to the Future II you had to stay relatively close to 1985 because you needed Marty to meet his progeny in the future, so 2015 makes sense (Back to the Future was 30 years into the past so BFII was 30 into the future) but if you're making a cartoon about a futuristic police, why not make it 2120? 2220? None of us will live to see that day. None of us will be alive in the 25th century to say, nope,Go-go boots and opened-shirted hairy-chested men didn't make a comeback, Buck. But if Erin Gray is there, then drop me in a time warp...

See, Robocop got it right. Robocop takes place "in the near future" so when is that? Who knows, but there's still time to see if Detroit becomes a crime ridden hellhole. Oh, wait...

You might be right, Homer. But what of communication? Communication is one of the cornerstones of humanity for where would we be if we couldn't express our feelings to each other or share information? Think of coaches who share their knowledge about a subject so that it may endure. Coaches are teachers, and you can't spell 'teacher' without a T. Or T as in Tureaud, or Lawrence Tureaud who is better known to the world as Mr. T. I mean, who would've thought that a former bouncer turned tough-guy competitor turned wrestler would turn around and have a cartoon where he' coaches, of all things, a gymnastics troupe that also went around solving mysteries on a show that had more diversity than a modern ABC sitcom lineup? Do you guys remember that awful commercial for a Mr. T cereal and how it even appeared in a popular 1980s film? I do....

general-discussions/stay-tooned-down-in-taz-mania-t1096-80.html
packerbacker180 wrote:

Is that not the worst commercial ever? If I weren't alive back then and didn't recall actually eating the cereal I would swear that was a spoof because that song has to be the most generic song ever written. That sounds straight out of Southpark. Tell me that's not Trey Parker's voice.

And even that sugary goodness made guest appearances in pop culture!

I pity the fool who don't love Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!

Oh boy, this post about me not wanting to make a clip show post has gotten pretty long. Acid is going to have a fit if I make this much longer. I should probably truncate it right here.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Stay Tooned!!!-The End!?

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:30 pm

Truncate. That's a funny word. Truncate means to shorten. I guess you could say that a TV show getting cancelled gets truncated. Sadly, it happens a lot. In fact, if you've been paying attention throughout the thread you'll notice many shows rarely get past one 13 episode season. Like The Roman Holidays for example. Sometimes even if you take an idea that has been successful in the past such as depicting modern life in a different time period like The Flintstones or the Jetsons, and try to stretch it out as far as possible, you run in to the law of diminishing returns. But there are lessons to be learned even in failures, and there were lessons to be learned when we discussed actual Roman history within The Roman Holidays post...

general-discussions/stay-tooned-down-in-taz-mania-t1096-210.html
packerbacker180 wrote:When in Rome come and meet the Roman Holidays who are all introduced within the intro. The Holidays lived in the Venus DeMillo Arms Apartments under the watchful eye of the landlord, Mr. Evictus--that's a play on words, Virgil.

No,not you, Soul Train Jones. I'm talking about the ancient Roman poet, author of the Aeneid, and much later on, Dante's guide through Hell, Publius Vergilius Maro. So you'll notice many characters on The Roman Holidays would take modern names and words and simply add an "ia" or "us" at the end to Latinize them. So Augustus "Gus" Holiday worked at the Forum Construction Company for Mr. Tycoonius, and Hap's girlfriend had the very 70's Latin name of Groovia. All of this took place in approximately 63 AD in the time of Nero.

I said Nero, not De Niro, Bob, though all of Nero's murdering of family members was thankfully left off screen. Interestingly enough, 63 AD is one year before the Great Fire that reportedly burned for over a week and destroyed three of fourteen Roman districts and severely damaged seven more from which the expression that Nero "fiddled while Rome burned" derived, which is curious considering the fiddle wasn't invented until the 11th century. Suetonius and Cassius Dio alleged that Nero sang the "Sack of Ilium" in stage costume while the city burned. Tacitus wrote that some ancient accounts described the fire as an accident, while others had claimed that it was a plot of Nero. Tacitus is the only surviving source which does not blame Nero for starting the fire; he says he is "unsure". Pliny the Elder, Suetonius and Cassius Dio all wrote that Nero was responsible for the fire. Pliny the Elder? Personally, I prefer Pitt the Elder, but don't tell Barney.

According to Tacitus, Nero was in Antium during the fire. Upon hearing news of the fire, Nero returned to Rome to organize a relief effort, providing for the removal of bodies and debris, which he paid for from his own funds. After the fire Rome started a new urban development with houses better spaced out and built of brick (to stave off the Big bad Wolf). I'm not certain how long it took to rebuild Rome, but I'm betting it wasn't rebuilt in a day.

Speaking of holidays, they're often a plot device used in clip shows as families and friends might gather for Christmas or Thanksgiving and then reminisce on past holiday occurrences. Not every cartoon included holidays into their shows. Some did, though, Tiny Toons often had holiday themed episodes and specials. One show I distinctly remember because my first memories of it was a Christmas special, was a Canadian cartoon called The Raccoons. In that post we also talked about all the great things that came out of Canada, but in case you missed them here they are again...

I'm just kidding, Acid! But we did discuss my love of hockey and me lamenting the loss of CTV and the CBC with switching to satellite TV all those years ago...

general-discussions/stay-tooned-down-in-taz-mania-t1096-70.html
packerbacker180 wrote:I'm a simple northeastern boy at heart, you put a hockey sweater on any talking animal and I'm in. The Raccoons ran on the CBC (Canadian Broadcast Corp.) from 1985-1992, but I was always more a fan of the specials that preceded the series. The first, The Christmas Raccoons debuted Christmas 1980, and was on prety much every year of my childhood until DirecTV came along and we lost access to the CBC and CTV locally (I've tried buying digital antennas but they just don't reach far enough across the pond from our house, bummer).

Man, I really miss those channels. I remember watching a Canadian gameshow that was kind of like Scrabble and puzzling when they asked for the letters "heche" and "zed", but I never got into Degrassi, any iteration of it (sorry, Drake). And I'd killl to watch some Hockey Night in Canada even after they booted Don Cherry for whatever that was aboot.

I really liked The Raccoons. On the other hand, we had an entirely different cartoon that I really didn't care for at all that just so happened to star an SNL alum and Canadian comedian, Martin Short. The Completely mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley was a show I really couldn't get in to as a kid. I mean, I just don't care for Martin Short in most instances, though, he's tolerable in one of the greatest comedies ever, a film we did discuss in that post as well as the equally outstanding, Gremlins 2 The New Batch. I also went more in depth I why I don't care for Mr. Jiminy Glick himself. Do you remember? Pepperidge Farms remembers...

post39855.html#p39855
packerbacker180 wrote:Martin Short cut his teeth on SCTV before moving to Saturday Night Live where Ed Grimley continued on as character. I was a little young for SNL back then and don't remember watching it at all. I only stayed up that late on a Saturday night for three reasons, the American Gladiators, Roller Games, and to watch the MegaPowers explode!

I've seen episodes of SNL from those years, and honestly, I used to think of them as the least funniest seasons of SNl. At least until the last few seasons--woof! It wasn't until '89 or so when guys like Sandler, Myers, Farley, joined that cast that SNL got funny again. Or maybe I was just older then and stayed up later? Who's to say? But anyways, for some reason Ed Grimley was a popular character back then, allegedly, so NBC decided to make a cartoon of the character. Personally, I just don't like Martin Short in most instances, between his mannerisms, his facial expressions, even the way he speaks, I just find them all off putting. Except, for when he's in the greatest movie ever put on celluloid. Ok, well, I used that line before and it wasn't really true back then either, so actually it goes something like 1. Casablance, 2. Airplane!, 3. My Cousin Vinny, and 4...

Interestingly enough the original Three Amigos! were meant to be Steve Martin, Dan Aykroyd, and John Belushi, but Aykroyd and Belushi were both unavailable for very different reasons. At another point Stevem Spielberg may've made the film with Martin, Bill Murray, and Robin Williams, and boy would that have been a different film--but I can't imagine the movie without Chevy Chase who is just so good with dumb sight gags.

But, The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley (if you want to make a kid annoyed, give your show a really long, dumb, title!) involved the mandchild like character of Ed Grimley in cartoon adventures that often got weird, and weird with an annoying main character does not make for a good show (hey, it couldn't have been just me as the show only lasted one year). Interspersed in each episodes were some science lessons from the Gustav Bros. which always gave off the weird British cartoon vibe to me which might also be a bit of a Canadian thing too since Canada was ruled by Great Britain up until 1997 or so (my dates might be off a bit there) and another segment with SCTV's Count Floyd who was a horror movie tv host kind of in the same vein of Grandpa Fred in Gremlins 2: The New Batch (heh heh, in the same vein, I made a funny).

You wanna talk funny? Gremlins 2 might be #5 on that previously mentioned movie list. There's no sex in the Champagne Room and no Gremsters in the projection booth!

I like wrestling. Breaking news, I know. So you'll often see wrestling mixed in to many of my posts here and elsewhere. I grew up on wrestling in the 80s and I think if you get a kid in to wrestling you'll have a fan for life. I've drifted away from time to time, but I always find myself being drawn back to the squared circle. We had a post in here that pit two combatants against each other that even included a Michael Buffer video, only that post was a battle for copper cat dominance.

general-discussions/stay-tooned-down-in-taz-mania-t1096-130.html
packerbacker180 wrote:History is littered with bloody feuds, the Hatfields and McCoys, the Yankees and Red Sox, WCW Nitro and Monday Night Raw, John Gustafson and Max Goldman, yet none are really quite as "littered" as the battle for orange cat supremacy between two fat felines...

Many people think Garfield is the OG (orangeinal gangsta!) when it comes to the tangerine felis catus of the animated kind, but the fact is Heathcliff predates the lasagna lover by half a decade. Let's check out the, ahem, tail of the tape...

Hailing from Westfinster and debuting in 1973 by way of the mind of George Gately, born on the wrong side of town, with both his parents in jail, the youngster was left to fend for himself on the rough streets of coastal Westfinster until the day he was adopted by the Nutmeg family. Never one to shy away from trouble, The terror of the fish market, the bully of bulldogs, and friend to the female felines, his career has spanned two television shows, a 56 issues Star Comics run, and a major motion picture in 1986, he is...

HEATHCLIFF!!!!

Fighting out of Muncie, Indiana, and debuting nationally in 1978 from his creator Jim Davis, he resides with his owner, John Arbuckle, and his partner in crime, Odie, he is the lover of lasagna, the large mound of the homebound, hater of Binky, excercise, and Nermal, his career has traversed 10 prime time specials, a long-running Saturday morning cartoon, and five feature lenghth films he is....

GARFIELD!!!!!

Let's have a clean fight, no litter kicking, and no nails to the eyes.

AND THE WINNER AND UNDISPUTED GREATEST ORANGE CAT OF ALL-TIME...

Spoiler:
MORRIS THE CAT!

You might even remember that post got a little questionably for mature audiences...

packerbacker180 wrote:Wait, this was a kids show right...?

"Things are gonna get hairy...for Bush!"--Riff-Raff, aka Mr. Goodtime
"I like the killer corckscrew. But won't the noise wake up the carnie?"--Cleo

Me-ow! What were they talking about? Maybe I just have a dirty old man mind and everything sounds like a double entendre to me.

Sometimes even cartoons can be for mature audiences. Like Adult Swim for instance. But way before AS, we had The Inhumanoids that aired in the mid-80s that was unusually dark and gruesome for a kids show of that era. I mean, we witness women devolving into nightmarish creatures at the mere touch of a giant monster's d'composing touch. Even more horrifyingly they would then...do the waltz? Yep, we found out that even monsters need sweet, sweet lovin'...

general-discussions/stay-tooned-down-in-taz-mania-t1096-240.html
packerbacker180 wrote:
See that? Lots of toys to buy. So the monsters are going to set their not so scary looking leader, Metlar free and they're going to get revenge against the Mutores and Granites while also...<checks notes>...make sweet love to the Statue of Liberty?

"Give me your tired, your poor, your giant monsters. yearning to get freaky."

<finger snap> "Me'Shell!"

Wait, what the hell was that? That's actually a later episode entitled Primal Passions in which the Liquidator (an EC scientist) miscalculates a formula (but he's a scientist!) and makes the Inhumanoids crave some Barry White and alone time with inanimate objects. This is the same episode that Blackthorne frees another Inhumanoid named Sslither, a Kobra Khan like creature covered in snakes (draw your own conclusions). Damn the 80s were the best! Yeah, this show was definitely odd for a kids cartoon, in fact, some of it was down right scary for an 8 year old me in 1986. Here, Blackthorne Shore's sister, Sandra, who had sought to aide Earth Corps upon discovery of her brother's insidious intent to rule the world by ruling the Inhumanoids, is touched by D'Compose...

Coincidentally, that's also what the fifth Moderna jab does. Who the hell wrote and animated this? Wes Craven? Yikes. But that was nothing compared to the Marvel comic. Actually, it was Star comics, which was always kind of odd to me as I thought of Star as strictly kids comics like Heathcliff, Alf, Madballs, Spider-Ham. "But PB, this was a kids show." Ok, I guess. But the comics could apparently get even more gruesome and frightening than the cartoon, as here's Sandra's hideous transformation as depicted in issue 4:

Oh no, what will become of Sandra? Well, if you only read the comics you wouldn't know as that was the cliff hanger to issues number four, and we're still waiting for issue five just like Image United #4. But fear not, at least we've got the cartoons to show us Earth Corps' eventually finds a way to reverse the transformation and Sandra is ok. Ok at least, until Primal Passions when D'Compose wants Sandy to pour more sugar on him so he fires her up...

Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
Dance me through the panic till I'm gathered safely in
Lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove
Dance me to the end of love

Horrifying, right? Ok, maybe a little bit silly. But when you're 8, maybe a little more hide under the blankets fun. No, Billy, I don't mean dancing with yourself.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Stay Tooned!!!--The End!?

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:30 pm

Oh boy, we're going off the rails again here. Speaking of horrifying and going off the rails, there isn't anything much more disturbing in 80s children's cartoons than one of the earliest cartoons we spoke about in this thread...

general-discussions/stay-tooned-down-in-taz-mania-t1096-10.html
packerbacker180 wrote:And thus, in 1984, Turbo Teen was born. Teenager Brett Mathews sucks at driving (probably speeding, lord knows he wasn't texting, maybe he was drinking?) during a storm and swerves off the road crashing into a government lab. I mean, jeezus, how fast was that dude going? Anyway, he drives right into an experimental laser that doesn't vaporize him or give him amazing stretching abilities (or maybe it kind of did?) but instead fuses him and his car together (this was two years before Jeff Goldblum's jaw fell off in The Fly remake). What exactly were they trying to make with their experiments? Who knows, kid. It's science. Vroom vroom.

Now, whenever he gets really hot, like when he swipes his dads nudey mags (my assumption, this does not occur on screen) he transforms into his car in an animation sequence you can't unsee once seen (suck on that Belloq!). How does he transform back? Well, he has to cool down by doing things like driving through a car wash, silly, or think about his 70 year old teacher Mrs. Langford stripping (again, my assumption). It's all science, dummy.

So what's a teen to do when something unfortunate like this occurs? Why, gather up your best girl who's a reporter of course, his BF who's a mechanic of course, and his dog who's a dog of course, and fight crime! How does he fight crime?Well, forget that, did I mention he turns into a smoking hot car? Vroom vroom! There's also a monster truck villain, kids love monster trucks, named the Dark Rider who is after Turbo Teen because he wants to be able to transform into a monster truck or something? I don't know. Nevermind, kids. Did I mention it was a monster truck? Crush crush. Imagine if the military got a hold of this technology! But hey, the Dark Rider was voiced like Dr. Claw by Frank Welker! But what cartoon hasn't Frank Welker voiced a character in? In fact, Webster's Dictionary defines cartoon as "any animated program containing a voice by Frank Welker", or maybe it doesn't. Give me a minute to edit the Wikipedia page and it will.

Did Dr. Chase ever find a cure for Turbo Teen? Who knows, the show only lasted one gloriously horrifying 13 episode season on ABC (possibly another reason why I watched NBC and CBS more). I think TT just moved to Alaska where he opened up a frozen foods company with Victor Fries. But vacations to Florida are nuts! I think I saw this more on the Cartoon Express then when it actually aired. Turbo Teen was never high on my list. Serioulsy though, how fast was he going on that turn? Yeah, it was downhill but dude was like ten feet in the air still when he crashed through that giant WOODEN door, nice security you guys have there. "No one will ever suspect we're running top secret experiments behind this old barn door!"

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaah, were gonna do experiments
behind this old barn door
gonna make a ride that can transform...CRASH!

Shudders.

Well, those would be the kind of things I would write about if I were ever to try and take the many, many funny posts in this thread and compile them in to something akin to a clip show. I might even include my childhood fetish for redheads like Firestar or Elektra from Teen Force.

ImageImage
Va-va-voom!

Or, if you read on far enough in to the thread you may've discovered whose to blame for most of the ails of the world (hint they've never been in office)

packerbacker180 wrote:Image

Yes, it's always Red Herring.

Heck, you may've even learned about how many cartoon voices are based upon popular celebrities of an era, like Joe E. Ross and The Hair Bear Bunch...

packerbacker180 wrote:Yogi Bear was basically Art Carney in Ursidae form. The Ant & the Aardvark was just Jackie Mason chasing Dean Martin (why that was never a real show I'll never know, pally). Fred Flinstone is just an animated Jackie Gleason, not surprising since The Flinstones are just the prehistoric Honeymooners. We even already talked about characters like Bogey from the Shirt Tales who was basically Humphrey Bogape and The Simpsons' Chief Wiggum sounds a lot like Edward G. Robinson. Hell, everyone knows Mickey Mouse was created to sound like Mike Tyson.

Help!... told the tale of three bear cousins who were constantly trying to escape their lavish cave without getting caught by the zookeepers, often times in an attempt of their last get-rich scheme before returning to their domicile. Their leader was Hair Bear, Jackie Moon in bearform, voiced by Daws Butler to sound like Sgt. Bilko himself, Phil Silvers. Paul Winchell, who voiced many Hanna-Barbera characters over the years, voiced Bubi Bear, the smallest of the three and often fell into bafflegab. And finally, there was Square Bear, the most laidback and dim of the trio. Together they would often try to escape on Square Bears invisble motorcycle (purchased at the same dealer as Diana's invisible jet, no doubt).

The zookeepers were Mr. Peevly, who was originally going to be voiced by McHale's Navy actor Joe Flynn, but reportedly Joe Barbera was unimpressed by his audition (it was said he commented that "Joe Flynn didn't sound enough like Joe Flynn."), so the role of the short-tempered zookeeper went to veteran H&B voice actor John Stepehenson who voiced the character to sound like Joe Flynn. Weird. The second zookeeper was bumbling Lionel Botch, who often uttered "Ooh! Ooh!" and sounded like The Phil Silvers' Show and Car 54, Where Are You? actor Joe E. Ross because he was voiced by The Phil Silvers Show and Car 54, Where Are You? actor Joe E. Ross. I never really watched Car 54, though I remember it airing early in Nick at Nite's infancy when Nick at Nite was actually a thing (someday I'll unload with my 80's sitcom Nick at Nite rant, but not today). My aunt used to sing the theme all the time because it must've been on the cave walls of her dwelling when she was younger. We used to quiz each other on sitcom songs and she knew a lot older songs like The Patty Duke Show, whereas I was more adept at shows like Gimme a Break! and Just the Ten of Us ("Doing it the best I can...").

If you peruse this thread you might discover the horrifying truth of Project WU-5573 (Project WUZZLE) or the mind-shattering phenomena of the Mandela Effect as it pertains to pop culture and Catch the Pigeon, er, Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines. You would of course have to search through the thread for these types of things because there really isn't any kind of way to summarize a thread like this in a clip show fashion. And you know whose fault that is?

Nope, not Red Herring, Fred.

Besides, singing and clip shows aren't funny...

But we're done done. Hey, maybe someday I'll try to make a post that highlights some of the many cartoons we've covered previously. Maybe I'll do the next show on the list, which was The Trollkins. Maybe I'll settle down, Maybe I'll just leave town. Maybe I'll have some fun. Maybe I'll meet someone and make him mine.

Oops, I did it again, Britney!

But in all seriousness, I would never waste my time spending hours putting together something like that knowing hardly anyone will even read it. Why, you'd have to be crazy to do that.

Toon out!

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Stay Tooned!!!--The End!?????

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:36 am

Wow. Epic, man. I need time to digest all of this.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:25 pm

Lol, yeah, if I ever did some kind of long form summary of past shows it would probably be a pretty long post. I'd probably have to break it up in to two or three separate posts to not shatter the matrix. I'm sure it'd be a lot to take in.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:45 am

WOW, PB, just saw and read all of that even though I did before when you originally posted it :batconfused: :wwsmh: :smlol: ...I thought we were supposed to split the topics up WHAT - RIGHT :o :shock: :batconfused: :wwshock: :smsmh: :?: I must say you really did great jobs here and even though I didn't/do watch a ton of cartoons & comedy like you, you can't say I didn't respond to your stuff ;) I'll say it again, I love it when you put the wrestling gifs in it and movie stuff like The Monster Squad and love the Spaceballs & Robocop bit too, there's too much for Me to list :batsmile: Make a blog or something to put it all in in ya want. Super great PB :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions