Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

No Joe?

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

No Joe?

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:08 pm

Poor GI Joe Forum, it's the only one without a single post. What happened? :batsad: I blame Channing Tatum and that other Wayans brother no one cares about :smheat:

So watch this and tell me why it's not the greatest thing ever...

Yo Joe!
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: No Joe?

Postby Crazy Jetty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:34 pm

I blaim Hasbro doing everything they can to kill this franchise that made them a household name.

Seriously, the last few years has been a textbook case of how to kill a successful franchise.
When they had a show (and a successful one at that) they refused to do a toyline for it. And when they finally realized "Holy crap, we need a toyline for this!" it was half a year AFTER they cancelled the show before they finally got them out. And not a complete cast, either.
A successful show they cancelled for a movie that didn't materialize until two years later. Which was a box office bomb, and extremely boring. (At least the first movie was fun. And had the Doctor in it.)
A movie that came and went without a toyline, because Hasbro screwed that up, too.

So... basically they have no way they can successfully sell war toys, to a war weary nation, without having something to sell them with. And they can't seem to line those up.

That's what I blaim.

But I'm still bitter about Renegades. That was the only Joe thing I ever cared about. Soawesome.

EDIT:
Oddly enough, I was actually on my way to this empty forum to post this when I saw you had pretty much done the same thing just before me.
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:42 pm

Eh, I didn't care for Renegades. Really nothing GI Joe has been very good since ARAH. The toys seem to sell well enough, though. I collected the 25th line, and a few figs after that that seemed to mesh well. But I haven't even looked much at the GI Joe pegs since they shifted to the movie style figures.

I'm just happy they got to Sci-Fi and Lowlight before the classic looks ended. I wish I had Alpine, though. I walked into a TRU and they had at least two of that five pack out, so I figured I could wait because I didn't have the cash they day. Never saw it again. :wwsad:
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Crazy Jetty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:50 pm

I never liked anything *but* renegade, but that's my opinion. But I found the first movie to be enjoyable enough as a non fan. Certainly a hell of a lot better than Bayformers.
The toys though don't sell to anyone but collectors. Kids don't know these characters, because they have no exposure to them, and that's the problem. That's Hasbro's problem, unfortunately.
They don't even consider Joe as one of their iconic brands anymore (They referred to the concept as "Franchise brands", though), being replaced by Play-doh, as per their most recent investors meeting/report.

Like I said, I never cared much for Joe, but it actually kinda angers me how badly it's been treated over the last decade.
Crazy Jetty
Partner
Partner

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:59 pm

Well, I think you sort of touched on the problem maybe, In this sad PC world where you can't do or say anything that offends anyone, it's much easier to market super heroes, monsters, turtles, and robots to kids then it is to market soldiers. It's just a different world we live in today, so the only real market is to the adult fans of the older 60's-80's stuff. Of course it doesn't help that the live action movies were positively awful.

Men, Doc says Duke's gonna be A-OK
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:49 am

Pshaw! So the Marketplace Feedback topic gets no love from you, PB?? Haha, just kidding. No seriously, don't post random stuff in there. :batrasp:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:46 am

I'm gonna take your precious Marketplace Feedback out for a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby beastovjudgement » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:17 pm

I loved the old GI Joe stuff. The cartoon was absurd, but could be entertaining. I greatly preferred the comics as far as the fiction. I agree with just about everyone; the movie stuff is heinous. It looks like Hasbro is making some of the older style designs again, but I doubt retailers will order much after the tumbleweeds and crickets the movie lines brought to the stores. True story: when I was a kid, my neighbor was a freelance designer for Hasbro. He helped do the instruction booklets for some of the GI Joe vehicles. He had some of the vehicle prototypes, including the space shuttle and - my personal favorite vehicle - the Cobra BUGG.
"The bestial screams, a life devoted - to the occult.
The flickering lights, my dream came true.
And now I'm dead.
Find me, take me. To the void, to the crooked nest, to Nekrohaven."
Satyricon, "Nekrohaven"
beastovjudgement
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:59 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:I'm gonna take your precious Marketplace Feedback out for a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

You cad! You spoony bard!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Idiot Savant » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Anyone see any of the new movie carded (cough, gag) "ultimate Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow" in the wild?
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Next

Return to General Toy Discussions