Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Marvel legends News and Updates

Discuss the latest news on Marvel Legends, Marvel Universe and other toy lines based on your favourite Marvel comics personalities!

Re: 2017 Marvel legends News and Updates

Postby secondwhiteline » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:15 am

I've been binging the Waid Daredevil run lately. SO GOOD. I needs me an Owl or The Spot or The Shroud. So much weirdness in those books.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:15 pm

Is fwoosh not doing the top-10 this year?
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:49 am

Haven't seen anything yet. When do they usually do it?

Anyone see the NYCC reveals? I'm down for a Beta Ray Bill. The rest, eh. Jubilee and Forge look nice and touch off my 90s Fox X-Men nostalgia a bit, but I don't have any pressing need for them. I'm expecting Maw and Glaive to sit on the pegs like Proxima has, and like anything created by Jonathan Hickman rightly should.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:58 am

I could've swotn the fwoosh poll was in Aug/Sept but I'm too lazy to confirm that.

What do you have against Hickman? I rather enjoyed his FF and Avengers runs.

None of the ML reveals wowed me. I guess MLs have kind of plateaued. That SW Dr Aphra, BT, and 000, however....
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:46 am

That makes sense. It's usually after SDCC, right? Maybe they wanted to find a bigger lull for it, because ML reveals happen continuously through the summer and fall.

And I just think his work reads like a boring grad student's RPG modules. Increasing fractals of secret organizations and sinister motives that just collapse under their own ponderous weight. And most importantly: unfun. So unfun.

Yeah, these weren't wildly interesting reveals. Mostly filling-out-the-wave stuff. But it's pretty great that Hasbro even reveals anything during NYCC.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:51 pm

That makes sense, even starting with his SHIELD series (which I never finished) he does like his secret societies. I always thought he did a good job of giving characters distinct voices which not everyone always does. His work does tend to focus more on the long game than the short story, but I always felt like there was a lot to digest even if there was a lot of talking. It wasn't like a Bendis book where everyone talked but then when you finished it didn't seem like anything happened. I don't know, I liked most of his Marvel work.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:54 pm

No, I totally get that part of the appeal - he does big, branching plots that involve tons of characters and at least a decent subset of those characters making big decisions. You'd think that would be an obvious component of event comics, but like you said, Bendis has always been a poor fit for those. I'm just not usually a fan of that style, and I think Hickman's very guilty of plugging characters into a framework rather than having the conflicts come from the characters. (It's not as obvious about it as, say, Civil War II, which was hilarious in how often it had the Things Happening happen off-panel. Oh, Bendis.) Reading his Avengers I never felt like the characters were really acting like themselves (I'm like 78% sure he's never read a Dr. Strange comic, and yes that's a hill I'm gonna die on here), and even if they had been nothing was engaging. I've been to sexier college lectures. And as a comic, his Fantastic Four probably would've made for a nice, sleek website design.

...Huh. I'm kind of a jerk, maybe. Anyhoo, I wonder if some of his space death villains were created with the idea that they'd be easy sub-bosses for Thanos in the upcoming movies? Seems easier that way than to draft up some new takes on preexisting characters. Although their very monochrome movie looks don't help them much in the merch department. I don't expect Maw and Glaive to do great in ML, based on how Proxima's been sitting on shelves. They seem like wasted spots in ML, but I know a certain group of collectors will be completists about MCU, so I totally get why we're getting them. Even if I'd much, much rather have MCU Ghost instead.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:38 pm

If Proxima was more comic accurate I would've bought her already but the movie look isn't as good. Maybe they thought she looked too similar to Hela? When she gets cheap I will probably buy one. These daya not much makes me want to buy it as soon as I see it the first time.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:46 pm

It's weird how washed-out her color scheme looks in the movie, right? Comparing it to the comic pics is strange. I don't know why they went with a less dramatic color scheme for the movie. Maybe it's that heavy colorblocking looks very comic book in real life if you don't do it right, and they wanted to avoid that.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: 2018 Marvel legends News and Updates

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:23 pm

Some cool ML reveals this weekend in London. Furry Beast, Union Jack, Citizen V, Puma(!), Grey Gargoyle, and 60's Loki. That's a hell of an eclectic group but some welcome additions. Always loved the look of Union Jack. And Citizen V makes the rest of the original T-Bolts more likely. BAF Atlas, anyone?
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Marvel Toy Discussion