Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

My Marvel Collection: X-MEN & X-FORCE!!!

Discuss the latest news on Marvel Legends, Marvel Universe and other toy lines based on your favourite Marvel comics personalities!

Re: My Marvel Collection: 1st Marvel Comic!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:09 am

Thanks Acid. Yeah, they were and many of today's people never bothers talking about this great stuff and that's why things like this are so obscure :roll: With only a handful of people out there like Me trying to not let it fall to oblivion :batsmile: Keep up with this topic cause more is coming and if you missed anything before this don't hesitate to check it out :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:03 am

I remember that GI Joe ad very well. I filled that out countless times as a kid but sadly never got one of those figures. I always named him Annihilator. That was such a cool concept.

I couldn't tell you the first comic I ever owned. I have vague recollections of getting a Teen Titans and Allstar Squadron books from Gold Circle when I was really young, but also things like The Avengers and Marvel Team-Up. Which came first? I really can't say.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:21 am

Well that is great that you do PB but a shame you never got one and that name was good. Now that may have been My first Marvel comic but My first actual comics were these and you had already commented on this before :)

Whitman's Brothers of the Spear and Tragg and the Sky Gods

To see the entire showcase plus much more click this link :)

http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/post41825.html?hilit=Tragg#p41825
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby OneNineSix » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:54 pm

Those Whitman Brothers comics almost look like those Heavy Metal magazines. You ever check those out?
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:33 am

Thanks for your reply ONS. Yes, I'm a big fan of Heavy Metal though do not own any however and I get back to that in a moment. As for My 1st comic in My Odds & Ends. Those actually PREDATE Heavy Metal as they started in 1972 & 1975, Heavy Metal started in 1977. See, if you read My history notes in My Vintage Action Figure Topics as well as others then you already know how I've compared and complained about things about people liking the second/other better/more. For example. Marvel's Man-Thing was first in May 1971 yet you never hear about him but you hear a lot about DC's Swamp Thing (I love Swamp Thing mind you, I'm just basing the facts here) who debuted in July 1971, Sure, it's only a few months difference but Man-Thing was STILL first. DC's Darkseid was 1970, Marvel's Thanos was 1973. Look how huge they made Thanos in the movies basically since the first days of the MCU compared to Darkseid in the DCEU, now isn't that pathetic :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: I'm a huge Star Wars & Star Trek fan but you never hear much at all of E.R. Burroughs' John Carter & Tarzan and his other stories. He was the grandfather of Sci-Fi and with out his stories there would be no SW, ST or anything like that as it and the Sci-Fi genre would look way different than what we know it to be today as Roddenberry & Lucas based their inspiration on E.R. Burroughs concepts & stories and people including this generation never acknowledge nor know this. My biggest nitpick which I heavily focused on in My Vintage Action Figure Topic is when I posted My 3-Part Transformers topic I had revealed something and then I continued it in My huge Go-Bots & Rock Lords showcase that Tonka & Bandai's Go-Bots were actually first before Hasbro & Takara's Transfromers yet you never ever hear anything about Go-Bots, it's always Transformers. I have also ranted numerous times in My Topics and others about those corporate locusts Hasbro about how they take over company after company and claim it all as their's. I hardly see anybody anywhere talking about this important matter, I believe I'm one of the only people that has done this...I've studied this stuff since I was a youngster, I find it fun yet imperative as much as I do with Copyrights & company info on action figures among other items. Look at all of the history I posted within My topics, I covered a ton of this in My showcases and more is yet to come including this very topic when I showcase some of Hasbro's FIRST Marvel offerings when they basically took over ToyBiz after their unfortunate financial problems and claimed the Marvel Legends as their own :shock: That will arrive after I'm finished with the Classic & Vintage stuff :batsmile:

OK, so back to Heavy Metal. PB posted the first trailer in his Movie Trailer Topic and then I continued it plus I posted the sequel. I posted a bit about Julie Strain. I really liked her :batwink: I posted some other cool women stuff there and other topics and since you like women I'm like, ONS is missing out on this stuff I do cause he doesn't reply to previous stuff from last week or even a few days ago, only something very recent which is really a shame cause you miss out on so darn much, he needs to keep up with Me on a regular basis so anyway ONS here is the link ;)

http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/post46386.html?hilit=Strain#p46386

And as a bonus I posted the awesome animated film 1983's Fire & Ice as well so here is the link for that one as well :batsmile:

http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/post46566.html?hilit=Heavy%20Metal#p46566

More great Marvel Comics stuff from Me to come which next will My first actual Marvel character comic, I'll let you guess whom that could be for a little while :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My Marvel Collection: THE SKELETON CREW!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:05 am

Did you guess it :? I gave you enough time too ;) So here is My next entry and boy is it a dandy one, it's one I have been wanting to do for a long while because it was My actual first Marvel Comic character comic and that is Captain America so he was truly The First Avenger for Me :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: However, what My attention was on was how awesome this is because it featured The Skeleton Crew :!: The organization that was started by The Red Skull. In PB's topic remember when I was saying about instead making "what sells" and variant after variant in Hasbro's Marvel Legends :? Well see how many times they made The Skeleton Crew and others that is featured within this great comic of Mine.I mean I don't know when people is going to get sick & tired of rehashes that's been done countless times over the decades not to mention prices going higher & higher, I know I have and that was a long while back :shock:

Look at the great cover, it features Crossbones, Mother Night, The Voice & Machinesmith/Sleeper and more plus the original Black Queen when she was super hot :batwink: Look at that, $1.00 :wwwink: :smwink:

Here is the epic beginning of the comic with great looking Asp and here is the April 1990 Copyright. Also a Demon Sword Video Game ad for the NES which My Mom got Me that game for Christmas that year in 1990 which I showed briefly in My Video Game Topic...I thought he looked like The Ultimate Warrior ;) These were such good times. I believe it was most likely My Grandma got Me this comic while We were waiting at Paramount Drugs cause I said before they had a small toy section and had a really nice rack of comics that I'd check out and usually if i wanted one or two she'd get'em for Me. If it wasn't for Paramount Drugs or Our cool 7-11 down the street from Our old house I showed in My[ b]Glory Days of Video Rentals[/b] and recently in My Grandpa's Birthday special, I may have not really gotten into the comics like I did cause 1990 was like the big boom of that for Me :)

Here's the development of the Skeleton Crew as well as the story. Here is Diamondback which she looked really good here. There's a cool Double Dragon II NES ad which was so cool plus Dream Machines & Marvel Conventions :smsmile:

Here's the first appearance of the The Black Queen as she confronts Crossbones plus her persuasion over Captain America and really what man wouldn't be seduced by a woman like that (sadly in this androgynous day & age I don't know now :roll: There's much more going on here :!: An ad to take 1 buck off TAK-A-TOY :!:

The Black Queen takes care of Diamondback but The Crew buries The Captain to be continued in another issue. There's a Warehouse Comics ad. Holy crap, this is actually 2 comics in one because now we're getting into the short story of The Red Skull: Coming Out of his Skull :batconfused: :wwshock: Strangely he looks like Doomsday before his steroid spike bulk up happen IMO :smlol: Wow, The Skull's father is here :o There's a Bulletin Board Section with Danny Fingeroth :)

Ah man, The Red Skull isn't red here and he's getting his @$$ handed to him by Adolph Hitler :o :shock: :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: What, there's Sinthea, the daughter of the Red Skull and oh boy, here comes Dr. Arnim Zola :? What in the Sam "Freggin" Hain is going on here :?: This is totally insane :!: There's a subscription offer to Marvel Comics. Here's a cool ad for Konami's Bayou Billy for the NES. In My first part of My Wrestling VHS & DVD I talked about this and how My berserk friends Jacob & Nathan stabbed Me in the back, read that if you haven't already, it was terrible and so uncalled for :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: There's an ad for Clearasil and an up close look at when Predator crossed over with Aliens, it was absolutely ginormous then that Dark Horse did that i mean it was huge for Me when they hinted that in 1990's Predator 2's climax :batsmile:

So that will be it for this showcase and I hope you enjoyed this and were even surprised. Next will be another special entry and while it will be similar, it will be quite different from this, until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:06 am

Captain America was one of my favorite books as a kid. It was very underrated. The Serpent Society was a great foil John Walker, Scourge, etc. I really dug Crossbones when he was introduced. Such a good era.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:58 am

Indeed, I'm sure it was many other's too cause he was one of the few reasons why I liked this comic. The Serpent Society and all of that was great that you mentioned too. Thanks for the reply PB :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My Marvel Collection: COMIC SCENE 1 & 2!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 04, 2023 5:12 am

So here is My next entry with My Marvel Collection and as you see above is of Comic Scene by none other than Starlog which this IMO was like the best comic magazine you could get because it was like an independent showcase that featured everything that had to do with comics. Now as you saw the front cover is of Dick Tracy. Remember when I was saying there was going to be a major hint within this topic that that shows I am a big fan of the film, well there's the hint and there will be more to come in time :batsmile: So this magazine came out in August 1990, I had already seen the film at The Kenrick with My Grandparents along with My friend Donnie. As great as it was it was a bittersweet time because We were getting ready to move with a lot of stuff being removed from the home, I still recall it to this day because it wasn't what I wanted but I was only 9 and what can you do about Grandparents' decisions when your that age...still I think it was unwise :roll: This very publication caught My eye at either Our old 7-11, National or Schnucks on Arsenal because I do not recall getting this at the Schnucks on Iron Street because We never went there till We moved. It was $3.95 which was ok but the feeling of the covers is kinda rough as it doesn't feel nothing like the WWF Magazines that I was immediately loving & collecting because of not only how fun it was to look at the wrestling you love but also how smooth the covers were I mean I felt them nonstop and if you never had that experience then I pity you cause it was so good and if many other magazines did that it would've made them even better IMO. This is a thick magazine. Now I'm not posting this to talk about Dick Tracy, he's Touchstone/Buena Vista aka Disney decades before Disney took over Marvel, I will talk about that at a later time. I am briefly showing this to feature the cool Marvel stuff that is within the book. So first off when you first open it up you see Dick Tracy & Gremlins 2: The New Batch Masks to buy. On the table of contents there's a live action version of Captain America which really got My attention. Here's a special write-up for the DC 1989 Batman and the 1990 Copyright which again is quite crucial for many reasons as I have explained times previously. Click all of My pics in a new tab for massive detail to see most possible of the reason why you came here in the first place :batsmile:

So the 89 Batman feature continues telling how they almost chose Ricky Addison-Reed to play Robin but the idea was scrapped completely till they brought it back to light for 1995's Batman Forever. I look at this magazine now and then I'm like I'm glad they did cause I love how they made and development The Boy Wonder in that film, they couldn't have done it better :batsmile: However there is a lot there talking about the Beetlejuice sequel was coming soon, I have been bummed that it never happen :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: Now here is the big feature of the live action Captain America which I was pretty excited cause last year I was treated with Batman 89 and this year in 90 I was treated with Dick Tracy which reminded of a superhero especially since Danny Elfman did the music, I would imagine others felt the same way then and perhaps even still like Me :) How apropos that I got Captain America comic in April 1990 then I get this is August...see why I chose to present these in this order :batsmile: In this feature you see a great looking Captain played by Matt Salinger with only a brief hint of the Red Skull played by Scott Paulin which is cool that they did that and not a full blown spoiler. The Asian man there is the director of the 1990 film, the late great Albert Pyun. I recently spoke about him in My awesome 1987 MOTU Movie Topic because he directed 1989's Cyborg which was originally slated to be MOTU II. He was a superb director and was a mastermind at martial arts and sci-fil films. This was My first look at him in this Comic Scene Magazine and a young Brandon is like oh, that's that guy that made Jean-Claude Van Damme's Cyborg last year...that is COOL :!:

Here is a really, I mean super fun Project Captain America feature with also a continuation of talking about Pyun and the film. That's one thing about Comic Scene is that they split up the stories and continue it pages later which I was never a fan of. Holy Bat-Joke, there's a Starlog shop here that you can purchase complete Batman & Joker costumes from Morris Costumes. You can buy them all separately if your a cherry picker or just needed a certain part that is really high prices but there is an option if you want them complete...Batman is $300 and The Joker is $240... :batshock: That was quite high then but these were nearly identical with the film and were only available at specialty shops for a limited time, they were hard rubber and were really for adults and serious fans for Halloween and collector's purposes only. I would like to think that the people who were fortunate enough to get these still have them in good shape after 33 years of storage, cherish them and show them off for bragging rights and for history that they made something so real back then :!:

Here is My second Starlog Comic Scene magazine which I do believe I got this over at Schnucks on Iron Street because this is the September, 1990 edition and We were already in Our new Holly Hills house come that month as we had moved in very late August right when My new season of school was starting. This one cost the same at $3.95 but this issue seems thinner than the one above but I believe that was due to this one having around ten big posters that you pull out and I must have used & misplaced them because they are no where to be found in My storage area but who knows they might be around in plain sight or I'll find'em when I'm not looking for'em because that's happen to Me before ;) You see that the cover is featuring The Jetsons: The Movie. I've said it before here within the board. I keep track with all years and 1990 has always been one of My favorites, there was so many great movies like the aforementioned above plus TMNT, Tremors, Archnophobia, Lionheart, Rock V, Kindergarten Cop, Pacific Heights, Child's Play 2, Nightbreed, Darkman, RoboCop 2, Predator 2 & Total Recall, TV specials like The Flash & Stephen King's IT, video games like WWF Wrestlemania Challenge & Double Dragon II, baseball like Reds wining the World Series sweeping the Oakland As, boxing like Buster Douglas KOing "Iron" Mike Tyson & wrestling events like WWF Wrestlemania VI when The Ultimate Warrior beat Hulk Hogan, WWF Survivor Series 90[/b] when the Undertaker made his debut and WCW Capital Combat when RoboCop teamed with Sting and the WWC had Abduallh the Butcher fight "The Human Wrecking machine" Zeus that took place and not to mention all of the great music that when with this as well which some of that is the best ever IMO, I could go and on because really it was truly the last good overall quality year IMO. Also up in the corner is a special Joker too. Here is the front cover of this one which it looks might dandy...boy take a gander at that :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

Now I'm not featuring much Marvel in it because I cannot show what isn't in the book so just consider this part of this presentation a bonus. When you open the magazine up immediately you are greeted by a really rad Batman & the 1990 Copyright. Then pages later there is a feature of comic artist Brian Bollard. He talks about a lot of things including his work for Howard the Duck & She-Hulk. There's Camelot 3000 that you never ever hear anything about anymore and there's Judge Dredd and a brief look at The Jetson's animated film :!: Now let's take a closer look here. I know how people are so hard on Howard the Duck and his movie which I will get to in time within the topic. I always liked him and the film. I also loved She-Hulk, she looked so superb here and this is just a great example of how women were going to look in the 90s. I love her lavender sweater and her purple pants and I especially dig those high heels :batwink: Look at her hair, she was so great I mean a seven foot tall beauty like that, how can you not be in awe :batwink: :wwshock: :smwink: Dang was Howard was so lucky, first he was with Beverly (Lea Thompson and then he's with She-Hulk... :o Now I really never knew Judge Dredd till the 1995 movie starring Sylvester Stallone. The film was quite decent and I truly loved the little figures along with Cyber Force that was all part of Mattel's super exciting Mega Heroes series which even to this very moment they are still some of My favorite action figures of ever of all-time :!: The back cover is of the same Dick Tracy & Gremlins 2: The New Batch Masks seen above in My first Comic Scene Magazine which really is bummer that it wasn't something different cause I'm always for new material when it comes to books & magazines :)

Here is both of My Comic Scene Magazines together. Those are the only two I ever got. I cannot say why, Its possible that the newsstands just wasn't carrying them anymore cause I seriously doubt I got tired of them so soon, I never get tired of something fast that I like so that is quite highly unlikely so I'm going with the former. Now keep in mind I could have done a lot more here and showcased some other great stuff within them but I may do that later on and if I do that will be in My Odds & Ends so possibly I'll keep you abreast about that because it will very good :)

Look for a special to coincide with this in PB's Movie Trailer Topic sometime today :!:

Wow, I didn't think I'd ever post My Comic Scene Magazines I mean that was something else there :o I hope you liked this and were surprised a bit and especially what I have presented within this topic already :) Next up will be a very special deluxe collector's Marvel Comic that I have cherished since 1992, until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My Marvel Collection: THE NEW WARRIORS!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat May 13, 2023 7:11 am

So next in My great Marvel Comic Topic is THE NEW WARRIORS! I really have never decided on where I got it whether it was at the old 7-11 by Our old house or if it was at Paramount Drugs further on down. What I do know and what I definitely remember is getting it and showing to My Grandpa at his A&M Bike Shop cause I always liked to show everybody things that I got :) When I first saw this cover I was really astounded because it looked really superb and I got it in July 1992 which was a great time as I recall "Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. The Ultimate Warrior being announced for WWF SummerSlam 92 @ Wembly Stadium which when I showed My Grandpa that from My WWF Magazine and told him that he could believe it at first that they'd fight again :batshock: :smgasp: Take a gander at that really cool front cover as it was the 25th anniversary special and the 1992 Copyright as well at the nice $2.50 price :batsmile:

So when you open it up it's really unique for the time as it has a special die-cut front that reveals a huge stand off :o

Like My last comic, see how many times any of these characters were made into Marvel Legends or had action figures at any time...see what I mean about companies wasting so such time and effort by making the same stuff over & and over again :roll: There's a ton of characters here: New Warriors' Speedball (Robbie Baldwin), Rage, Darkhawk, Namorita, Silhouette (Silhouette Chord), Nova (Richard Rider), Firestar, Justice (Vance Astrovik) along with Nelson & Murdock, Foggy Nelson, Bart Jones, Rachel Dreyfuss, Norma Astrovik and your villains are Tai plus we have Folding Circle's Midnight's Firem, Left Hand, Night Thrasher, Silk Fever, Bloodstrike, Smiling Tiger and even others like the Guardsmen and even appearances of Daryl & Melody Taylor. This is a conclusion issue, I never knew nor researched what happen before or after this as it's the only one I ever saw of The New Warriors at My Newsstands. I'm not detailing what's going on here. My pictures are always big enough for maximum detail for you to click in a new tab and you can be like reading the comic for yourself...for FREE :shock: Who posts their comics like this anyway besides Me :? :o Not many I can tell ya that right now so think about that :batsmile: Look at the 1992 Marvel Copyright info :!:

Oh look there's an ad for Honey, I Blew Up The Kid... remember I told & gave the hint in PB's Movie Trailer Topic a while back :? Well there it is :shock: There's SCORE's Baseball Cards and a Summer Sale of Comics with a really nice looking Vintage Pinup Girl along with Dave's Comics in Richmond, Virginia :batsmile:

Gosh this New Warriors comic looks really good :)

Oh man there's an ad for Sega Game Gear and it's all Flying Edge who was one of Acclaim's great video game companies of the 90s that I loved... look at that Big George Foreman, The Simpsons & Spider-Man...show Me in these modern times of gaming that can even half rival this great fun back then :!:

More fantastic stuff of the comic plus the Bullpen and look at how Spidey, Morbius & The Green Goblin were here and there's an ad for Eastern Conventions :!:

Here's the conclusion of the New Warriors Comic plus the section of New Opinions of the readers. There's Things You Didn't Know Existed but more on that in a minute.

Here's an ad where you get Marvel Comics directly from them and an ad of Arch Rivals for the Sega Genesis also by Flying Edge :!: Here's a cool ad from Fleer about Rookie Baseball Cards :batsmile:

OK, now here is a special bonus. Things You Never Knew Existed. This was a store that My Grandma used for a very long time along with Annie's Attic that was the same company since the mid 2000s to get Me a lot of Christmas & Birthday presents. She never ordered online, she was very old school when it came to stuff like that and I was usually surprised what she'd get Me. She got a lot including a whole bunch of NECA figures sometime that I have already showed on this board. They went out of business sometime ago :roll: Later on when I get to the Marvel section on the 2010s I have a very special figure that she got Me and it will be sweet to showcase :batsad:

So that's it. So do you know The New Warriors and remember this comic or is this completely new to you :?: Next will be a good one that will be sort of a flashback, until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Marvel Toy Discussion