Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Shelves for figures...

The central catch all topic for your collections! Share all of your awesome collections/display setups that you've built and see what others have put together!

Re: Shelves for figures...

Postby Rex Mason » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Bit the bullet and ordered the glass shelves. It's going to cost me more, but I think the result will be the most impressive, and I don't plan on ever changing this wall as long as I'm a toy collector. Painting the wall tonight that they go on (the previous owner had bright orange walls - not exactly Batman's cup of tea). So if everything dries by tomorrow night, I may be putting in the adjustable shelving then.

The glass doesn't arrive until next week, but man, I can't wait to break into my bins. Some of my older figures have been in storage for several years. Can't wait to see them again.
Rex Mason
Partner
Partner

Postby Avalon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Awesome. That sounds like it's going to look amazing when it's done. Are you going to get a red telephone, too? :batwink:
Avalon
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Rex Mason » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:17 pm

That would be cool. Wish DC made one. A long time ago a guy was making unlicensed Shakespeare busts that would open at the neck and had the button inside. You could actually plug something into it so when you pressed the button a light would turn on or what not. Never got one, but it'd be cool if DCCollectibles tried something like that.
Rex Mason
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Funny, a few years ago, I also saw someone was making unlicensed red phones that looked like the Batman TV series.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby beastovjudgement » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:27 am

Glass shelves look awesome for figure displays. I lucked out, and my wife got two large sliding-door glass display cases, very cheaply, from her employer. I plan on getting more when we move to a larger house at some point in the future.
"The bestial screams, a life devoted - to the occult.
The flickering lights, my dream came true.
And now I'm dead.
Find me, take me. To the void, to the crooked nest, to Nekrohaven."
Satyricon, "Nekrohaven"
beastovjudgement
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:51 am

I thought that Shakespeare bust was a licensed item? I wanted to buy that then but never did...still a regret.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Rex Mason » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Idiot Savant wrote:I thought that Shakespeare bust was a licensed item? I wanted to buy that then but never did...still a regret.

I saw it at a comic convention years ago at a booth solely for that particular item and they had stated that it was unlicensed. Which is why I assume they don't make them anymore. Probably got an ominous letter from DC.

Maybe there was an official one, too, but I've never seen it. If it exists, I might have to track it down, though...
Rex Mason
Partner
Partner

Postby Rex Mason » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:03 pm

beastovjudgement wrote:Glass shelves look awesome for figure displays. I lucked out, and my wife got two large sliding-door glass display cases, very cheaply, from her employer. I plan on getting more when we move to a larger house at some point in the future.

Sounds like a nice setup. Any photos to share? I'm always scouring Craigslist for that sort of find. I have a couple curios that I used to display figures in, and they look great on glass, but it's always too hard to see the ones in the back. Just hoping this giant wall will give me enough room to display everyone, so I can use the curious for vintage '66 Batman merchandise and the like.
Rex Mason
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Hey Rex, so how's this coming along??
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rex Mason » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:46 pm

Being going slow but steady. The glass shelves have arrived and I've built the brackets and everything for them. Still need to dust the shelves and put them up, but right now, I'm concentrating on painting. The room is really big (21 by like 25 or 26 feet), and it was bright orange, so I'm in the process of covering that up with a gray primer and then a dark gray finished coat. The figure wall is done completely, and the rest of the room is pretty much coated in primer, so tonight after work I'm going to start with the final coat of paint. Probably get that done in two or three days, as I'm only down there about two or three hours tops each night. We also put up drywall in the closet so I could store all my non-figure Batman tubs in there until I have a proper place to display them.

After that, I can hanging pictures on the wall (I've got a great framed 1989 Batman puzzle (of the movie poster) to put up, as well as a few original comic book pages and the like) and can start moving furniture where it belongs. And then finally, it's unpacking the figures. Very much looking forward to that part.

I'm actually going to order six new glass shelves as I'll be able to fit eight rows of figures on the wall without it looking crowded. I'm thinking I can actually display all my figures on that one wall if that works out.
Rex Mason
Partner
Partner

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Collections