Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Constantine Goes To NBC

Discuss your favourite DC movies and TV shows here like Arrow, Man of Steel, Watchmen, RED, Young Justice and more!

Re: Constantine Goes To NBC

Postby Caleb » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Kevin McKidd's on Grey's Anatomy now? Ugh. I was thinking back to his days on Rome.

I forgot about Jack Davenport, actually. As long as they gave him blonde hair, I'd have absolutely no complaints about him getting the part. He's not as lanky as Constantine is often drawn, but he's definitely not the worst choice for the part. Since it's NBC, I'm guessing they'll find an unknown with very few credits to his name...just seems like their way to go with anything remotely sci-fi lately (Revolution, Sleepy Hollow, Grimm), to even out the budget a bit.

Guh, early oughts Hugh Laurie would be perfect for Constantine!
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Yeah, I've been kickin' around the idea of Hugh Laurie in the role myself. I can totally see it acting-wise but for some reason his look doesn't quite cry out Constantine to me but hey, a little hair dye and make-up can go a long way. :batgrin:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby S. Griffin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:22 pm

I would have thought Hugh Laurie a little too old, if he's not then, screw it, I want Paul McGann. He's lanky, a great actor, not handsome but not ugly as sin, and I know he can speak in a Liverpudlian accent since he's actually from Liverpool.

To be really honest, only three guys' looks really scream out Constantine: Sting, Daniel Craig, and Gordon F**king Ramsay, since John's been drawn to look like all three men at one point or another. I am, however, convinced the Ramsay thing was just Bradstreet screwing around: should have asked him about it at Comic Con this year, maybe.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Postby S. Griffin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:30 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:Newsarama just put out a top ten choice list. Some names I'm not too familiar with. I will say that Tennant's look in Broadchurch would work pretty well for Constantine. Just change the hairstyle a little.

Newsrama Top 10

Damned lists.
Cumberbatch, seriously? That guy's on everybody's list for everything these days. One: he can't be everywhere. Two: he's a good actor, but the guy really can't be everyone.
And Marsters? Sure, the guy can do two very similar English accents very well, but, maybe it's just me, I want Constantine played by an actor who's actually from the UK. A lot of people forget that James Marsters is American. To me that'd be like Marvel having cast a Brit to play Captain America because he could do a flawless American accent; sure it might work on screen, but in my opinion, that's a no no.
I feel like Rhys-Myers and Hiddleston are too young, and Bill Moyer is really wrong for the role. I won't say anything about Idris Elba, aside from the fact that he seems to be the other guy on everybody's list for everything these days too.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Postby Princess_Amethyst » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:48 pm

Yep, I think it needs to go to an English actor, too. Also what's the deal with Keanu Reeves? Does he hate brits or what? First he butchers the English accent on Bram Stoker's Dracula and then he butchers a British pop icon in Constantine. :wwsas:
Princess_Amethyst
Hero
Hero

Postby Caleb » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Cumberbatch again? Jeez, why don't we just clone the guy so he can be in everything? Really, though, with his star on the rise so quickly, I doubt NBC could afford him. Plus he's still committed to Sherlock. Chalk that one up to wishful thinking. Ditto Idris Elba. I mean, yeah, NBC made Ironside into a black guy, but Ironside's not a beloved comic character who has been white and very, very British for his entire run. I could see Elba maybe as Papa Midnight, but not Constantine. Besides, with his Mandela movie likely to score him an Oscar nom this year (if it's as good as everyone says), Elba's pricetag is more than likely going to jump to.

Hiddleston and Rhys-Meyers both get a huge thumbs-down from me as well. I like Hiddleston, and maybe in a decade or so he'd be a great Constantine. Rhys-Meyers, on the other hand, is a little too much of a pretty-boy. He'd be a better Constantine than Stephen Moyer or Jamie Campbell-Bower, but that ain't saying much.
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby S. Griffin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Caleb wrote:Cumberbatch again? Jeez, why don't we just clone the guy so he can be in everything? Really, though, with his star on the rise so quickly, I doubt NBC could afford him. Plus he's still committed to Sherlock. Chalk that one up to wishful thinking. Ditto Idris Elba. I mean, yeah, NBC made Ironside into a black guy, but Ironside's not a beloved comic character who has been white and very, very British for his entire run. I could see Elba maybe as Papa Midnight, but not Constantine. Besides, with his Mandela movie likely to score him an Oscar nom this year (if it's as good as everyone says), Elba's pricetag is more than likely going to jump to.

Hiddleston and Rhys-Meyers both get a huge thumbs-down from me as well. I like Hiddleston, and maybe in a decade or so he'd be a great Constantine. Rhys-Meyers, on the other hand, is a little too much of a pretty-boy. He'd be a better Constantine than Stephen Moyer or Jamie Campbell-Bower, but that ain't saying much.

That whole thing is pretty much wishful thinking. A six time Emmy nominee and two time Golden Globe winner, a pretty boy who's also won a Golden Globe, several rising movie stars who I really doubt would lower themselves to American Network TV at this point in their careers, a former Doctor Who with a growing family living happily in the greater London area, Moyer, an American. The only actors off that list that I can see as even being remotely gettable are Rupert Perry-Jones and Joseph Fiennes...maybe.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:10 pm

What about Sebastian Roche? He's been good in his appearances on Burn Notice and Supernatural. He also looks a little like Gordon Ramsey. He's a little older, but so were a lot of those guys. Really he's been all over TV, so it's not like getting him to "lower" himself to TV or take a boat across the ocean is an issue.

ImageImage
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby S. Griffin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:49 pm

He's French. Born and raised in Paris. Casting a Frenchman might be the one thing that would piss off the British more than casting an American.
I'm not British, but I see no real difference here from casting Marsters, aside from the way the guy looks.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:02 pm

Who cares what the British say? It's on NBC which I believe stands for Not a British Channel. They've had no jurisdiction here for 227 years.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DC TV Shows/Movies