Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Constantine Goes To NBC

Discuss your favourite DC movies and TV shows here like Arrow, Man of Steel, Watchmen, RED, Young Justice and more!

Re: Constantine Goes To NBC

Postby Tango X » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Goyer onboard for this? *thumbs up*
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby S. Griffin » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:13 pm

I wouldn't be a comic book nerd and Hellblazer fan if I didn't gripe about a couple of things...
1) John doesn't get to smoke. No cigarettes is no surprise, but it's still disappointing.
2) John doesn't sound like a Scouser (someone from Liverpool). I don't know if anyone has watched an interview with Boardwalk Empire's Stephen Graham (Graham has a very heavy Scouse accent), but I assume that producers didn't think that a man talking like that for an hour of tv every week on North American television would work very well. Again...disappointing. Funny thing is he still says he's from Liverpool, but I assume most Americans wouldn't hear a man speak in a Welsh accent while saying he's from Liverpool and think anything was amiss; unfortunately for me, I do.
3) John doesn't pronounce his own last name correctly. I'm actually surprised that happened considering Matt Ryan is from Wales and the director of the pilot, the great Neil Marshall is from Newcastle. Honestly if you were to show one-thousand people in Great Britain the name "Constantine" written on a piece of paper and asked them to say it, not one of them would say "Teen" at the end. I can only assume that Goyer, Cerone, or NBC execs asked for this, as they knew most people in this country would be saying the name of the character and the show one way and not the other.
These may seem like small gripes, but they are details that have added to the richness of the character over the years; there have been several panels in several books where John has corrected people who said "ConstanTEEN" instead of "ConstanTINE;" hell the man smoked so much that one of the most critically acclaimed and most popular story arks featuring John Constantine was about his having terminal lung cancer.
This is definitely a Constantine for American television, and some omissions and genericizing and Americanizing may be disappointing to some, the good news is that the pilot is still pretty creepy and weird and intense (and good) for American television, and John's attitude is still very much intact; he talks a little funny and needs something to do with his hands, but this John Constantine is still very much John Constantine, and much more John Constantine than that other John Constantine from nine years ago.
S. Griffin
Hero
Hero

Postby Webslinger » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:14 pm

I got copies of The Flash and Constantine in the mail today from a friend of mine in California today, I can honestly say both shows are pretty good... I still can't believe what they are letting NBC get away with on Constantine, oh and there is a nice little Easter egg in the show you all will love...
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:16 pm

You lucky spider, you.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Webslinger » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:41 pm

Yes I am... :spwink: If you want to know what easter egg is in Constantine click below....

Spoiler:
Dr. Fate's helmet
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Tango X » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:19 pm

Whaaaaat!!!
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby Webslinger » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:10 am

Tango X wrote:Whaaaaat!!!

Yep...
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Illiasc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:43 pm

A second "Whaaat" over here, that's crazy! You should definitely keep us posted with anything more you find out. My anticipation and excitement for the show have rocketed a bit thanks to you, Webslinger. I'm counting on you for more information! :batgrin:
Illiasc
Hero
Hero

Postby Tango X » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:44 am

Don't you guys forget about Constantine this week. :jcsmirk:
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby Webslinger » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:42 am

you know what time and day by chance?