Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Classic Songs & Music Videos of Yesteryear!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Classic Songs & Music Videos of Yesteryear!

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:50 pm

Oh, I watched the shorter videos, but not the two-hour video. Sorry, that's a lot of time to commit to anything, lol. I remember being excited to see Pearl Jam perform because they were fairly new then. I do actually remember their performance from then. I'm not sure I've watched an MTV Award show since, though. I probably watched the first Movie Awards or two, but like I said, I don't see the excitement or value in award shows anymore.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:45 am

Uh huh. 2 hours is. It was different then. The Carvey & Phil stuff was like the last bits of classic SNL before all of this nonsense we have had over the 2 decades. Just check it out when you get a chance.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:01 am

SNL actually wasn't bad for a while. The Farley-Hartman-Myers-Carvey era will always be my favorite, but it was still pretty good after that from Will Ferrell until about 2013 when Bill Hader and a couple others left. I haven't watched it much in recent years. I openly despise Pete Davidson and don't understand how anyone in the current cast is considered funny. I guess comedy is subjective (I'd say it's altogether absent on SNL). There always was a political bias on TV to begin with, but like much of society, it's gotten more overt in recent years and become more mean-spirited than actually trying to find humor.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:09 am

Enough Canada for a bit. Here's Seven Mary Three, the name apparently was derived from the tv show CHIPS (7 was Jon Baker's beat, M in Mary meant he was on a motorcycle, and 3 was the unit number). I remember discovering these guys before the song Cumbersome got pretty big. I tried convincing my best friend who was a huge Pearl Jam and Nirvana fan that these guys were good and sounded a lot like Pearl Jam (to their detriment to some who accused them of ripping off Pearl Jam) but he wouldn't give them a shot. I thought their first album was pretty good.

"Cumberson"

"Water's Edge" I always imagined this was a continuation of Warrant's "Uncle Tom's Cabin"
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:29 am

Don't you hate it when supposed friends do that, not doing what you recommend whether it's important or not? Well I do and for a long time I have always been the opposite because I don't want to be like them people to put it mildy :x

Ok, I never heard of them either but sounds cool about the CHIPS trivia there PB :) They do sound a bit like Pearl Jam but I have noticed other bands that sounded like them in the 90s. SMT seemed like they were good and talented. Couldn't tell ya about Warrant. Very cool tunes there PB :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:11 am

You don't know Warrant or the specific song? They were one of the last hair metal bands. Their big moment was 1988's Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich album that produced several big hits. Surely, you've heard this...(I won't call you Shirley)

And here's "Uncle Tom's Cabin" which I mentioned in the 7M3 post

But of course you couldn't get your Hiar Metal Club For Men card without a power ballad or two...

Look at all that hair! I can smell the Aqua Net from here.

They put out several albums in the 90s as well but the world had moved on to grunge and I really couldn't tell you anything about them other than they went through a lot of lineup changes. Sadly, the lead singer, Jani Lane died in 2011 of acute alcohol poisoning.

But as a 10/11 year old male, Cherry Pie was definitely one of the better videos on MTV at the time.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:12 am

Well gosh, I know a lot but not everything & everybody PB :lol: Actually I knew the songs, just not the group. Their some that I just didn't know their names for some reason, when I was a youngster I was lucky knowing GNR before 92. There is a lot of songs I've heard but I don't know who made'em. The Warrant is really good and yes about the hair. I miss them looks especially the styles on Women in the 80s & 90s.

I'm still looking for a song by a singer I saw on MTV back in 93 and I only heard it on the radio only once around the same time and never heard it since. Maybe you can help Me because it has eluded Me for 30 years :batshock: So, what I remember is the singer is Caucasian, has short Brown hair, possible short mustache and the video was very colorful and soft sounding, that's all I can say about it. Maybe you can help Me find this mystery video PB ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:11 am

Hmm, that's pretty vague. Any lyrics or idea about what the song was about? That could be anything.

I get it about Warrant. There's a lot of songs from the 80s I know but couldn't tell you the name or the singer/band.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:21 am

Not sure how anyone can hear this song or watch the video and not smile. Was never a big Roth or Van Halen fan, but this is just fun to singalong to.

Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla
Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:55 am

Thanks. Nope, that's all I remember for. Indeed about the amount band all that. I kinda know Roth and yes that was funny :lol:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions