Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:47 am

I'm an old soul at heart. I was thinking about it last night and I think it may have something to do with Looney Tunes. There's so many of them from the 40s and 50s that I watched so often when I was a kid, and a lot of times they parodied famous celebrities from that era that they became familiar to me even if I wasn't cognizance to it.

The Maltese Falcon is another one I can watch over and over again. Interestingly enough, this was 61 year-old Sydney Greenstreet's first movie role as he'd been a stage actor for decades before. The Falcon came out a couple years before Casablance in in 1941 and was actually a remake of a 1931 film starring Ricardo Cortez and Bebe Daniels.

In the film the Maltese Falcon is a jewel encrusted statue said to be worth a fortune. As a prop, several were used during filming and one sold at auction in 1994 for $400k. Man, it would be cool to own one but not at that price. I do have a prop replica my wife got me a few years ago.

Ok, I'm sure nobody really wants to talk about 80 year old movies, so I'll do some more recent films soon.

Lol, if you could read that in Peter Lorre's voice it would be spelled "You imbeseal!"

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:02 am

Oh yes, great stuff. I especially loved the Maltese falcon. I saw it not that long ago on Turner Classic Movies when they had a free preview.

OK, one more SW trailer...it's the Special Edition! I know how you are about it but I thought do it anyway :? It has it's moments.

OK, let SW step a side for awhile, I'll do the prequels later. I'm gonna get into some others in a while ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:49 am

Ack, that scene with Han stepping over Jabba makes me want to cry. It looks awful and fake. It should be removed from the movie. I'll admit, I went to see all three special editions in theatre, but I hated that scene the minute I saw it.

Here's a hidden gem I 'd be surprised if anyone has seen, maybe Acid has being up north.

Curling. Yes, they made a movie about curling. It's one of the few Winter Olympic sports outside of hockey that I actually watch. We have a curling rink in the area I've always wanted to try but haven't yet--it's actually rather expensiive to play. It's like $250 to rent a sheet (lane) which wouldn't be bad if I could find 6-10 people to go in but I'm a homebody these days, lol. Hey, it's got Leslie Neilsen!

I covered a lot of Canadian bands in the video thread, and this film has a pretty good soundtrack.

Our Lady Peace "Life"

Matthew Good Band "Hello Time Bomb"

Kathleen Edwards "Hockey Skates"

I'd never heard of Kathleen Edwards before this movie, and then she opened up for a Blue Rodeo concert we went to, and I came to like her music. I actually thought of using a lyric from this song a few times for my footer, but I think it's too long. Plus, I like Large Marge right now.

I am so sick of consequences and the look on your face
I am tired of playing defense
I don't even have hockey skates

Tell 'em Large Marge sent you.

And weirdly enough, the song in the trailer is Twist My Arm by the Tragically Hip and it's not on the soundtrack. They do have two songs on the soundtrack that weren't on any other of their albums (kind of like Pearl Jam and "Singles").

So there, that's not from the 1940s.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:50 am

Yeah, I was always disappointed with the Jabba scene. He looked so real in ROTJ. I am kind sick of this CGI age, if you have read My stuff earlier you'll know I'm not a fan of this age :x I'll have practical effects over CGI any day whether it looks good or not or old school CGI from the 80s and so forth.

Oh Men with Brooms. I never got around to see that one. It looked pretty good with a good cast and soundtrack. I wasn't familiar with them bands however except for the ones that you introduced Me too PB ;)

Pee-wee :!:

OK, speaking about SFX from the 80s, one of My all-time favorite movies is Ghostbusters. I'm sure you already know I'm a huge fan. I posted a huge amount in My Vintage Action Figure topic and I recently posted a very special one in My Odds & End that you may want to check out because it was truly a special event. I prefer these effects over most of today's standards.

Here is the Ray Parker jr. song we all know. look at the the cameos of some of yesterday's comedians that IMO today's can't even compare!

This just doesn't have one of the funnest soundtracks but it also has a tremendous classic musical score as well. Here is a score suite by Elmer Bernstein. This is one of the magical parts of the whole film, loved it since I first saw the film! Shame MOST people never acknowledges this music :roll:

I'll do Ghostbusters II next ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:43 am

Yes, Jabba in ROTJ may've been a bit static movement wise, but he looked like a real character. That CGI version does not. Sometimes CGI looks good at the time, but doesn't age well. That looked like crap from the start, you can tell Han is walking on some stairs or platforms or whatever they used. It looks bad.

Hey, Ray Parker Jr. is from Buffalo! Ah, the library scene. Funny story about that. I remember seeing Ghostbusters at the drive-in so I would've been 6 when it came out. At the time my mother worked in the shoe department at an AM & A's which was a Buffalo department store until it was bought out by The BonTon in the 90s. Anyways, we would often visit her for lunch and back then nobody seemed to mind if kids wandered around the stockrooms unsupervised and the shoe stockroom was this loooooong narrow stockroom with shelves of shoes that went to the ceiling. They even had a file cabinet that looked a bit like the Dewey Decimal Systems drawers. Anyway, after seeing Ghostbusters I was afraid to go into that stockroom alone, especially if I went down an aisle and couldn't see the entrance, lol.

Hey, I was 6! It would've been around that time that I saw V and then heard about illegal aliens sneaking into the US, and well, I couldn't play with my MOTU Whiplash for a bit, lol. Ah, simpler times.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:58 am

OK, as I said yesterday, here is Ghostbusters II. This was huge for Me back in 1989. Me & My family all went to the AMC Crestwood theater (like I have said many times before, that whole area is gone, out of business, the whole plaza and everything went out and its all torn down and its all spaced land and trees now :roll: I had such good times over there.

So I was such a huge fan of GB already, My Grandma MiMi rented the film dozens of times for Me at Rainbow video (look for a special from Me about them later), then bought it for Me along with Willow, I loved the cartoon and the rest is history. I have a bittersweet feeling of the movie however is that when you hear the score by Randy Edelman (yes, that SAME RANDY EDELMAN) you can hear that it's telling you that the 90s are coming and it's gonna be it for the 80s :roll: The musical score has NEVER, EVER BEEN RELEASED and I have been so POed about that for DECADES :x ...ONLY ripped version are available online but at least there's that :x The songs sound track has been released and I have'em on record & CD. So here is the classic trailer.

Here is the great climax with the awesome Vigo, this is one My most favorite movie scenes. Vigo was played Wilhelm Von Homburg who was also a wrestler & boxer :o

Here is 2 Coke commercials.

The Contest!

This one was on the VHS of GB II, I have always liked it. Loved it that I got from Verna from Mr. T's (again a special coming soon) :)

OK, I replied a wee bit in the Movie score topic, I said Danny Elfman is next. He had a little bit to do with GBII, look for Me to post his song and others from GB II in the classic song topic too and we'll see what is next for the movie trailers...until then :batsmile:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:27 pm

In a lot of ways I prefer GB2. Vigo certainly was a better villain. Plus, every now and then I'll break out the, "Vy am I dripping vit goo?" line, lol.

Those Coke commercials are neat. I remember those from back then.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:56 pm

Sometimes I don't know where to go next with a thread. Other times life is about logical progressions, so based on something from my last trailer, this seemed like the easy next choice. A tale as old as time. Boy meets bike. Boy loses bike. Boy...well, you know how it goes...

Ah, I loved Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Find me a better trifecta combo than Pee Wee Herman, Tim Burton (in his directorial debut, no less), and Danny Elfman. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Even my kids love this movie. In fact, after we watched it the first time we started rewatching Pee Wee's Playhouse on DVD and they were into it. Both the movie and the show still hold up pretty well.

Plus, it's got my namesake, the Amazing Larry!

And James Brolin and Morgan Fairchild!

Who doesn't still do that hand motions whenever they here "Tequila" by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass? Heck, Buffalo's minor league baseball team, for years after this had a performer known as The Earl of Bud that would get up on the dugout and do it once a game. He must've had that job for two decades. They even made a bobblehead of him. The dude is a local legend.

This is another movie that I can watch again and again, no matter where it starts. If you don't like it, well, you might just burn in hell...

It's a shame Pee Wee didn't take some of his show's messages to heart, they could've better rubbed off on him instead of, well, rubbing something else off...

At least he made a comeback after that incident. Here he is as a comic book store owner on an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond...

This movie is a national treasure. The only reason many of us know that there is no basement in the Alamo is because of this film.

And who amongst didn't learn the correct response to this little ditty?

I could go on and on with this because there's so many great scenes, but I'll stop there. I might do another Pee Wee related film form the 80's next, and no, it isn't the sequel (which isn't as good))

Yet another line everyone said for ages after this film....

Not only that, Pee Wee taught the finer points of arguing and comebacks...

Yes, I was blessed with the same first name as Amazing Larry, but I was also cursed with the middle name of fat Francis, lol.

Oh, Pee Wee...
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:51 am

Oh yes, Vigo is one of the best villian sever, one of My faves :batgrin:

Good'ole Pee Wee, truly one of the most unique characters of the 80s or really any era . Superb films. Great stuff you put there PB, you show your love for it ;)

I'm gonna do the original Batman movies here next :batsmile:

Be checking the Songs topic & especially the Movie Score topics, Danny Elfman is coming, I got LOADS OF INFO & TRIVIA and take your time and listen to'em post what you think there :batsmile:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:45 am

Like I said, logical progressions. It's hard for younger folks to fathom how big Pee Wee Herman was back then. Between his Saturday morning show, and films, he had merchandise everywhere. So that made me think of another film where he has a cameo....

Back to the Beach was a 1987 parody of all the beach party films and shows of the 60's that starred Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello as former beach goers who now live in Ohio. When they decide to take a family trip to Hawaii they stop off in California to visit their older daughter played by Full House's Lori Loughlin. But they miss their flight and decide to stay in California and go, well... back to the beach.

Along the way they run into a bevy of famous celebs of that by gone era with Gilligan (Bob Denver), the Skipper too (Alan Hale), the Beave and his mom (Jerry Mathers and Barbera Billingsley), Don Adams from get Smart, Stevie Ray Vaughn and pre-double murder OJ, heeeeere on Gilligan's....oops, wrong topic...

And, of course, Pee Wee...

My parents took us to see this in theatre, I'm sure because they grew up in that era of Moon Doogies and Gidgets. I remember watching some of those shows in reruns. Gidget was actually on TV a couple weeks ago, so I watched a few episodes.

In the film, their son Bobby dresses like a biker and joins a rather harmless gang at the beach.

For the longest time I thought it was where I remembered the Los Locos motto:

Los Locos kick your ass,
Los Locos kick your face,
Los Locos kick your balls into outer space...

But it wasn't. Bonus points if you can name that film without looking it up. If not, then it'll probably be the next trailer I do anyway. Logical progressions.

I haven't seen Back to the Beach in probably 30 years, but now I kind of want to give it another watch. All the cameos and everything would probably mean more to me now as opposed to when I saw it at the age of 9.

Will Frankie and Annette save their marriage? Does the Big Kahuna still have it in a new generation? I guess you'll have to watch to find out! Or check out the Big Kahuna catch a wave right here...

That's all, Barney*!

* a term for a surfer that is not cool, untalented, rookie
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions