Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:22 pm

Apparently, I was one of the few who saw this in theatres as it didn't do well. I really liked it. In fact, I watched it quite often on HBO as well. Unfortunately, even though it was filmed in 1985, it came out in theatres just months after the Challenger explosion in January 1986 (I was actually home sick that day with pink eye so I was watching Press Your Luck when they cutaway to the launch). But I still wanted to go to SpaceCamp and was often jealous when it was a prize on Double Dare.

It even had a talking robot, which you had to have in the 1980s to be a sci-fi film, voiced by the legendary Frank Welker.

And the role of Max was played by a 12-year-old Leaf Phoenix. Who the hell is Leaf Phoenix?

Yup, the Joker himself, or one of them, Joaquin Phoenix. But c'mon, you can't see that gif and not think of this guy....

I don't know, the story of Space Camp is pretty simple and predictable, but I remember enjoying it. I even got to cross NASA off my bucket list as we went to the Kennedy Space Center a few years ago in Florida. That was cool. And of course, Community made a pretty incredible spoof of this movie in an episode where the gang gets trapped in a 1980s "space simulator" which was sponsored by Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Yes, whenever and wherever possible I will preach the gospel of the amazing show that was Community. #SixSeasonsAndaMovie

Space Camp is another one of these movies I haven't seen in ages, but would watch if I ever came across it on TV. Maybe someday...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:59 am

Oh Space Camp, it was really good. Well, I know how people are unfortunately. Always cherry picking on everything, that's why things are the way they are and especially why movies bombs when they are actually great then decades later then they praised upon and become cult classics and people just keep on doing this stuff...I just hate that :x Though I think the poor Challenger accident didn't help. I was in Kindergarten when that happen. I recall that day like it was last week as the year 1986 as a whole :roll: Back to Space Camp. It was a classic. One of My all-time favorite actresses Lea Thompson is one of the main stars in it. I had a major crush on her back then :o I liked her here and in Jaws 3D and I really digged her in the Back to the Future Trilogy but I absolutely loved her in Howard the Duck...she was the most sweetest female in a movie IMO. You di know the score was by John Williams right :?:

If so or if not here is his main title to Space Camp. Notice the cover is from the Intrada Special Collection. Intrada is like your most well known label for movie scores. I just love getting special editions like this physically with the special booklet and all the info within them, its so exciting :)

On to your other stuff PB, yes, a very young Phoenix. Amazing the resemblance with his Joker & Count Chocula :o I never saw Community, an all-star cast. Maybe one day I'll see'em, nice looking parody, it helps with Chevy Chase ;)

OK, now back to the Batman movies. You said PB that you were into Marvel during those times. Marvel was great in the comics yes but they weren't doing so well in cinema. Howard the Duck bombed which I loved that movie (music by John Barry - many 007 films) and Captain American also bombed in 1990. DC was still doing wonders here with teh Batman 89, The Flash 90s to B&R in 97 in the movies but then suddenly Marvel got back into the movies with the X-Men in 2000 and it was great but with foolish decisions not continuing Daredevil & Elektra and the way the people handle the Fantastic 4, I loved them, their My favorite of all yet of course people had to mess it up then the obsessive Marvel stuff that we know today happen with Iron Man and so on with Disney. In 2005 DC decided to reboot Batman in a somewhat cryptic prequel of sorts than it became the Dark Knight Trilogy with the same old characters from previous movies that IMO were done better in the original quadrilogy. Did we need the DKT :?: I do like the current DC Universe timeline though, I find it more exciting than the current Marvel one.

Now, before we get to the next installment here is couple notes that I left out. I really liked Bob the Goon in Batman 89. My Grandpa really did too. I know you PB said that you weren't crazy about the Penguin but darn it, it gave a great explanation of how he was named this, it was really smart. Elliot Goldenthal wrote some eerie 50s/60s music in Batman Forever which is tremendous and fit it so well. Danny Elfman would do a very similar cue for Mars Attacks a year later in 1996...coincidence :? Another thing is how Jim Carrey's Riddler would be kinda an inspiration for Cody Rhodes' Stardust decades later :shock:

So, it was a very similar experience as with Batman Forever in 1995. Two years later in 1997 My Grandparents took Me to the Kenrick on the 4th of July with our great tradition we used to do :( One day I gotta showcase the Kenrick, it was so great, I saw so many classic movies there and it looked so cool there too. It's now all torn down for a big Walmart among other things :roll: This is where I saw Willow back in 88 :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: 1997...25 years ago this year. I have always thought it was a year struggle as things was changing around the house and just about everywhere else but it was still a fun year and it was still the 90s :batsmile: Wrestling was beginning to be in full force in the Attitude Era with DX & the nWo. Games was also being changed with video as a trend from Sega CD, movie music scores & movies were also changing since the great reemergence from 94 - 96 and really had some good but different titles like Alien Resurrection, The Lost World: Jurassic Park 2, Starship Troopers, Event Horizon, Anaconda, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Men in Black, the Fifth Element not to mention the Star Wars Special Edition Trilogy and more. So on the Forth of July in 1997 We saw Batman & Robin. I was so excited about because I just loved Batman Forever and this was a wonderful continuation. Shame Val Kilmer left the franchise. I really wasn't familiar with George Clooney except for From Dusk Till Dawn in 96. I thought Clooney was actually good as Bruce Wayne/Batman (at the time I thought he looked like Tom Sizemore from one of My favorite movies ever the epic horror film The Relic also from 1997, I liked Sizemore better however). Later on in 97 Clooney would be in the awesome actioner The Peacemaker. Always thought he sounded like Mel Gibson (there's a lot of that going on if ya know what I mean). I think he was convincing enough to be the original Dark Knight. Chris O'Donnell was just as good as Robin as his first time. There really isn't much else other than that I liked how he wanted his own Robin signal. I loved Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl. She was really cool and great looking and quite frankly hot. Like Robin, I really loved how her origins was. Her suit was so neat and matched her partners. I do think she should have kept the earred-mask on longer however. Arnold was tremendous as Mr. Freeze. His dialog was so funny and brilliant. I think he was a great choice to play the part. His goons were good too. I adored the story about his wife, such true love. I always thought about how small he looked in this without his suit and wasn't really big. I noticed this first in 1990 when I first saw Total Recall (another one of my all-time faves). Not many people talk about that and he looked like almost a normal sized guy in Jingle All the Way in 96 and speaking of that, when he became Turbo Man his voice was changed and in Batman & Robin his voiced sounded VERY MUCH LIKE THAT...it was like a hint there or vice versa :? :o :!: Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy was great. She was really a villainous babe here. There hasn't been one like her since. Now her partner was Bane, he was played late great wrestler Jeep Swenson. He was a superb choice to place this monstrous character. More on him later. Jesse" The Body" Ventura played the Arkham Asylum guard along with big man Ralph Moeller. More on Jesse later. Elle Macpherson played Wayne's love interest. She was ok. I was like why didn't you keep Dr. Chase Meridian, she knew all of you Bruce, she was so ideal in many ways, this new girl seemed like she really didn't belong with him. Vivica A. Fox had a short part a goon that was hitting on Dr. Freeze. I thought she looked great but darn her part was too short :roll: Now I never mentioned in the previous movies about Michael Gough as Alfred nor Pat Hingle as Commissioner Gordon. Gough was so good as Alfred. In B&R it was sad about how he was. Hingle also was really good in the films and I believe in B&R he had more time than any of the prior films. He even had a scene with Poison Ivy! Now the visuals again were superb, Arkham Asylum has such a great classic design. I just loved it all was. Like the beginning of the two Schumacher films, went up close shots of the Batsuit & the Robinsuit. The crotch area & the butt. This was a touch from Schumacher because he was gay and proud of it and for any guys who like that sort of thing. I'm very far from gay but I thought it was kinda funny plus kinda neat to see the rubber suit material close. This era wasn't woke and gay stuff like this wasn't shoved down our throats like the horrible stuff is today on SM, movies & TV shows and even in cartoons and I'm sick of it...in this era it was only hinted at and it was left be...people take things to the extreme in this pathetic androgynous day and age :x However, he did do the same for Batgirl which was way, way more apropos as we saw her boobs, crotch & booty area...now that's more like it, women stuff was so good in the 90s :batsmile: Like in BF, I loved how all three run toward the screen at the climax. It was so clever to do this and listening to Elliot Goldenthal's great theme, thinking of My time at the show with My Grandparents, thinking this era and that it was the end of the great Batman quadrilogy :(

Now here is the trailer, they were smart and they put the Batman Forever score by Elliot Goldenthal in it. If you saw & read My previous Batman Forever write up and played the main title cue then you'll already be familiar with this and if you did then good for you :) :batsmile:

Now like I said yesterday, I was going to make a wrestlers in the movies topic but PB beat Me to it with this one. Here is an example of what I going to do but like I said before, I think it's more proper here anyway, ya'll will see what I mean here. I made these following pics :shock:

Here is Jesse"the Body" Ventura as a guard in B&R. Amazing how he was in Predator in 1987 (35 years ago this year) and he was with Arnold. Both were 2 of My childhood heroes. 10 years later their together again. Funny thing is Jesse is in the jungle with tons of plant life and gets killed by the creature. In B&R he get's killed by a "plant-woman" :o

Batman & Robin 1997 - 3.jpg

Here is Jeep Swenson who played Bane. I just loved him. Hulk Hogan always said he had the largest arms...nope Swenson did! He was in WCW for a while along with Zeus as the Ultimate Solution as part of the Dungeon of Doom in early 96 in the super group called the Alliance to destroy Hulkamania. I was so sad because he died not to long after B&R came out, it was quite shocking :(

Batman & Robin 1997 - 2.jpg

Gifs.

So that's it for the Batman movies from Me for now. Its about time movies like this are being discussed about here, it's a DC board after all ya know :batwink: I will talk a bit about Body Slam next, until then :batgrin:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:36 am

Funny you bring up Arnold. Today's his 75th birthday. He's still 6'2", which is above average height even if he looks much smaller now than he did 20-30 years ago. Heck, Tom Cruise is 5'7" but you wouldn't know it most of the time thanks to the magic of Hollywood and camera angles, lol.

By the time the Clooney Batman came out I was 19 and kind of done with that more colorful Batman style. I remember being excited for Daredevil and X-men, but I don't think either holds up well after all these years, though Daredevil had a pretty good soundtrack. Back then a Marvel movie was an exciting treat. Nowadays a Marvel movie is just another Friday it seems, lol.

Arnold and Jesse must've been body building buds or something, as they were in The Running Man together, too. I've thought about adding movies to the wrestlers on TV thread, but there's so many more of those, I just never did. Feel free to do some here.

I want to get one more trailer in later today before I'm gone a vacation for a few days, so check back later.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:13 pm

Ok, this will likely be my last long post for a couple days while I'm gone so I hope you guys can hold down the fort and keep these posts going. But I couldn't leave without these trailers after mentioning 1980s robot characters, and outside of R2 and 3PO, this might be the main guy....

Where have you gone, Steve Guttenberg, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you. Woo woo woo.

It's hard to believe Steve Guttenburg was a big star back then with hits such as the classic Police Academy films, Cocoon, Three Men and a Baby, and of course, Short Circuit. And then like most legends whose stars burned too bright, Guttenberg's star diminished, and I can't recall the last thing I've seen him in. The Stone Cutters giveth, and the Stone Cutters taketh away, I suppose.

While Short Circuit was probably a better movie story-wise, and one I really enjoyed as a kid, I've always been partial to the sequel, that while not as interesting a story really, is just more stupid fun as Johnny Five is the typical gullible newcomer to the big city, and hilarity ensues...

Have they cancelled Fisher Stevens yet for sounding too much like Apu from the Simpsons?

A few years ago we came across these on TV and my kids watched them and absolutely loved them both, but especially the sequel, because, like I said, it's simpler and just going for laughs as Johnny 5 went from pondering what being alive really means to basically Weird Al as a robot. And I just so happened to have both on DVD so they would often watch them in the car on long trips, too. So Johnny 5 is still quite alive. To this day I'll still say, "Hello, bozo" sometimes when entering a room.

And of course, this is where the Los Locos gang song came from that I mentioned back in the Back to the Beach post...

Don't you just miss the old halcyon days where gangs would sing a ditty and a do a little dance while committing crimes?

Hell, nowadays in New York they'll just murder you and be out the same day without even having to post bail. Thanks, Kathy Hochul! Jack was right, this town needs an enema and this state needs a hero.

But if you've never seen these, you'll never know how to properly cook a potato.

Ok, bonus, since I won't be around much the next few days and we're talking about 80s bots.

*batteries not included is a terrific movie that still stands up pretty well today. Speaking of Guttenburg movies, no he's not in this, but it's kind of like Short Circuit and Cocoon had a baby movie, lol. Who amongst us growing up in the 80s didn't want a Johnny 5 robot or a little flying robot from out space? Come to think of it, they actually look a lot like the LOLA droid from the Kenobi series.

At least we now know where the little guys came from. A galaxy far, far away, apparently.

But a No. 5 robot back in the 80s, according to the trailer, cost $11 million dollars. Hell, backup athletes make that nowadays. Anyone win the MegaBillions yesterday? Anyone? LMK.

Ok, that should give you all a few things to discuss. See ya in a few days.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:31 am

Oh happy B-Day Arnold. Ever since he said screw your freedom I've never thought of him the same since. If you don't know what I'm talking about then...do your research. Oh yeah, Cruise, he is so hard to work with :roll:

Oh the robot films was great. By the way, Jinx was great. I loved the Short Circuit movies. They were funny. Fisher Stevens was great. He's in one of My all-time favorites I'll do in time. Oh *Batteries Not Included. It was great, My Grandma MiMi loved that one. OK, sounds good. I will do wrestlers in the movies now and then.

I put this together, look how classic it all is :o

OK, here is My bit on Body Slam. It was out in 1987. At the time I really didn't care about the actors, I wanted to see the wrestlers. I knew most of'em then. Here is the VHS cover. I first saw this of at Verna's Mr. T's. I have spoke about her many times. She was so wonderful, I gotta make a special about her soon. I admit as a youngster I digged that cover I as gawked at it many times over there :D As young as I was I knew who I was and liked females unlike the stuff today that people don't know who they are and all of the bum-steer, I'm quite proud who I am and I'm using that word proud of its true meaning, not this abusive stuff in this androgynous day and age. However, this was actually kinda of a form of click bait before there was such a thing because that scene IS NOT IN THE MOVIE... The cover with the blonde babe pulling off her bikini top distracting the wrestler IS NOT IN THE KOVIE...it was exclusive...YES CLICK BAIT before it was a thing :o You spoke of Running Man, I'll do that one too and yes Deepfake was in it before it was a thing too!

Body Slam VHS Cover 1.jpg

So we have Dirk Benedict, Sean Astin & the lovely Tanya "Sheena" Roberts. Now we have "Rowdy" Roddy Piper & his tag partner The Tonga Kid/Sam Fatu of the Islanders who were both in the WWF at the time. I loved Piper, one of the best ever. We have mysterious masked enhancement talents, Afa & Sika the Wild Samoans (Roman's father & uncle + Fatu's fam too), Captain Lou Albano, Alexis Smirnoff & Billy Barty cause you cause you gotta have a wrestling movie with the little guys. Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissey & Classie Freddie Blassie, Bruno Sammartino & "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair were seen in the crowd. Of course you cannot leave out the major villains of the story The Barbarian & Teijo Khan as the cannibals!

Body Slam 1.jpg

Here is great a look at an old 80s street and the Convention Center, I love it! Here is the hero team of the movie, Rock'N Roll gone mad, bloody wrestling, the top rope trick by heels that many of today's generation thinks is something recent but nope, it was done decades ago, new tag champs and a classic b&w pic!

Body Slam 2.jpg

So there's a short bonus from Me of Body Slam. I hope you liked. We'll see what's next :batsmile:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:20 am

PB, yes, Arnold & Jesse did have a big friendship, more on that at a later time.

NOTE: About the Batman quadrilogy. I liked how the first 2 were Christmas and Batman Forever was during Halloween!

So I did the original Batman quadrilogy so let's quickly get to the original 1966 movie from the original TV series. I couldn't wait to see the series after I got home from school for years. I don't know how I first saw the movie, we possibly rented it from Mr. T's or Movie Mogul or some other great video rental place of Our past but quite possibly on TV. I really don't know. It was fantastic seeing this at the time as you saw how they got their ideas for Batman 89. I mean as I mentioned earlier they really borrowed many concepts of the series including most of the villains havin' their goons, seems like many people don't mention this at all not to mention how colorful the Schumacher films were cause this 1966 movie is quite bright & colorful too. The 66 film is basically identical to the series, there really is no difference. It has your four main villains which is The Joker, Catwoman, The Riddler & The Penguin. All are superb. the Riddler & Joker really shines here but then Catwoman kinda stole the show but then it seemed like this was The Penguin's movie with his Penguin submarine :batlol: It has a unique plot and it's hilarious. Much of this stuff really reminded of the Three Stooges which as you know I am a huge fan of plus the 60s really wasn't that too far different than the 80s, it was easy for Me to relate to it. Compare those great timelines to the androgynous & digital era we're in now :roll: Overall it was a superb film for it's time, it's really a very underrated masterpiece. One day I was at My local GameStop in the 2000s (this location is out of business :roll: where K-Mart plaza used to be, they had used movies and so they had it and I bought the DVD version of the 1966 Batman which is the special edition :batsmile:

So here is the classic trailer!

Some cool gifs.

My Grandma MiMi loved the bomb scene especially when he says this :lol: :smlol: :wwlol: :batsmh:

So a special Batman post is coming and heck with it, I'm gonna do the Dark Knight Trilogy :o :shock: :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: Until then ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:26 pm

Ah, I love Batman '66. Don't think I ever actually saw the trailer, so that was cool.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:15 am

So I decided to quickly make some posters that goes along with the movies I talked about that I didn't give proper posters too so here they are.

Star Wars has always had some great looking art on their posters. I put My favorites here. Notice on Episode 4 Leia' boobs are quite large. This is the only poster of her like that but that's not the only reasons why its attractive, I love the blue color, I love how vibrant it is and it's something in most Star Wars posters that usually isn't seen this blue. Though arguably TESB is My favorite SW poster ever made, there's just some dark moments there that is just pure excitement.

Star Wars Special 1.jpg

Ghostbusters: Now talking about some of My favorites. I have always loved the green sky and them on the road like that. I have always loved GB II logo's blue flame, one of the best looking ever IMO!

Ghostbusters Special 1.jpg

Oh the Batman movie posters are so grand especially the last 2. I love the bright colors and the expressions on their faces particularly the villains remarkably Two-Face, I fell in love with that the moment I first saw it back in 95 :o

Batman Special 2.jpg

So there's a special poster gallery made by Me to contribute to My trailer posts. Next I'm gonna do the Dark Knight Trilogy, until then :batsmile:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:23 pm

Oh well that's really Good PB ;) One more thing about the original Batman, one of the main villains is The Riddler right :? Well the composer of the show & movie is named Nelson Riddle...what are the odds :shock:

So here is My brief take on The Dark Knight Trilogy. I have mixed emotions about the movies as a whole but they are good and entertaining but unlike the original series & quadrilogy, this is based on a realistic approach or point of view and not the colorful superhero theme which I prefer if you never read My previous entries. I have showcased much of My DC Movie Masters figure collection in the DC section which shows you how much I liked this series it hasn't really gotten the attention it deserves :roll: So the trilogy had much promising potential but did it prevail :batconfused:

TDKT Special 1.jpg

All three films' movie scores are composed by Hans Zimmer but the first two are co-composed with his best friend James Newton Howard which both are 2 of My favorites. Zimmer is arguably the top composer today. As I had mentioned in the composer topic, H0lliW3ird prefers the sound of Zimmer & his Media Ventures/Remote Control Production students & colleagues as they think it brings in the big bucks. I wouldn't know cause the majority of people that I have seen in the theaters always leave when the end credits happen when the score plays and I'm not talking about just a couple times, I'm talking decades worth...I used to go to the show once a month an see 3 to 4 films straight before the p!ademic for $5 each and all these years most of everybody did the same thing and leave unless there was a cut scene but then they would leave anyway. I used to tell these people stay, your gonna miss it. Only 1 couple ever listened to Me and I give them big kudos for that. Other than My Grandparents, I have only known 3 people who loved movie music and this was during the Napster & WinMX days. They were Wasabi from Japan, a guy I don't recall his name whom gave Me access to his FTP and NatRebo who named himself after Max Rebo from Star Wars. We traded movies scores online a lot. The first 2 were great guys, the latter turned out to be nothing but an accusing liar. It was so bittersweet about that and that was it. I never met anybody since them and in this current social media stage it's even more pathetic so see why I wouldn't know :? :?: :o :batsmile: If you know movie music like I do and hear that many scores in films over the last decade or longer sounds a like...well that's why because their all part of the same group! Compare Pirates of the Caribbean, The Transformers, Clash of the Titans and many, many others...they all sound a like. I plan on going on this much further in the composer topic when it's time because it's always been such a big subject for Me for years. Overall the TDK scores are fantastic. Their not like Elfman or Goldenthal's from the quadrilogy but they match the DKT fine in tone and are quite fun to listen too often. I have followed Zimmer & his huge group since the 90s and it still continues to add members, they score the current DC movies since The man of Steel except for TJL, that was actually Elfman. I have many of the Media Ventures albums and they are so exciting to listen to!

Batman Begins: When this first was teased I was like oh man it's a prequel but then they turned it around like they would do in the future with X-Men, Transformers & Star Trek in a cryptic way of rebooting to make more moolah and to confuse the viewer. Me & My Mom saw this on the 4th of July in 05 to continue the tradition of years past. I loved how we had new villains like The Scarecrow, Falcone & Ra's Al Gul. Characters that was never seen before in a live action movie. The thing is the movie is what the title is. Was it necessary to have nearly the whole film about the origins of Bruce Wayne becoming Batman when in 89 & 95 we only had brief glimpses, scenes & flashbacks and back then we got the picture how it all started and then they moved on to new things. They did the same thing with Mortal Kombat 95 with brief explanations about Scorpion & Sub-Zero, we knew their origins in the games beforehand, we didn't need anything else further but then in 2021 they reboot it and what do they do :? The movie is all about Scorpion & Sub-Zero, their origins and everything basically throughout the whole movie...why must they do this. There's so much more they could have done. Today's society is always in a hurry to get on with a conversion when somebody is talking so they can get back to SM yet they keep on making these reboots that takes a long time to get to the story when it was already done in seconds decades prior...oh this androgynous limbolic age :x So with that being said, Christopher Nolan's dark & gritty tone works wonders here. Zimmer's music of action, mystery & emotion is so wonderful. Nolan would use Zimmer for most of his movies. Bale makes a great combo as Wayne & the Bat in all 3 films. His voice is pretty deep. Tom Wilkinson is pretty good as Carmine Falcone. Cillian Murphy is good as the Scarecrow but only his mask is spooky. Michael Cain is his usual greatness in all 3 films. I liked the addition of Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox in all 3 films. Katie Holmes' Rachel Dawes was pretty sweet. Gary Oldman's Gordon is great, like Falcone, he is very American. Ken Wantanbe as the false Ra's was good & clever but I loved Liam Neeson's Ducard whom was the real Ra's. This is one of his best performances and roles IMO. How the film ended was good but a bummer because now we're going to have The Joker and to characters we've already had times & times in previous media :roll:

Here's the trailer. Notice in every trailer I am providing here Zimmer's music is in them!

The Dark Knight: So I remember when the news happen that Heath Ledger had died in 2008. It was on AOL, Google, Bing, the news channels. It was a huge shocking sad news story to know and it would be quite desolate. So it was time to see the film with My Mom once more. I think Ledger's Joker was great but since he is completely different than Jack Nicholson's version other than appearance in makeup 8 clothing it has always been a toss up of which one was better so I have always left it at that. He was kinda inspired by James Cagney and his dialog was quite brutal but with scars like that it should. He delivered his lines excellently and at times I did think he was funny. I do like his look, he has a very merrymaking appearance of how his colorful attire and the way his physique was. Ledger's legacy here will go on. Zimmer's great Batman's theme with the action & the bat wings sound was great in Batman Begins and here but The Joker's theme is quite aggressive & harsh. You hear it mere moments when the film starts in one of the greatest bank robbery scenes ever in any movie and the music is played in the scene for a long while! Now Aaron Eckhart's Harvey Dent whom becomes Harvey Two-Face in a very dire & bleak way. Eckhart is such a great actor. I love his quote “You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain .” is a great line. Like I said, he was great but again, why are we treated with yet another villain who was already in the quadrilogy :roll: His injury looked more real even though it was CGI. I still like the Freddy Krueger Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face concept better. Now Eckhart's theme was by James Newton Howard and him only. He sounds nothing like Zimmer. This is one of best themes for any film. It perfectly represents Harvey is many ways. Dawes' new actress played by Maggie Gyllenhaal is good. I liked her but I'm still not sure if I liked her more than Holmes' version. It had so many appearances by others from TV shows and whatnot including Anthony Michael Hall and Nestor Carbonell who is a cousin of MLB's great Rafael Palmeiro :o The film ended on a sour note on one hand but it was fine on the other. Its a lot longer than the previous film as well but I love long movies that is action packed, because of people who want to get the movie over with the filmmakers delete scenes for time restraints and this really can ruin a movie (Prometheus is a HUGE example) so I'm all for long movies because they will be more complete plus you get your money's worth too! I've always been like that!

I was really surprised that Tom "Tiny" Lister" Jr. had a small part in the film as a convict. Here is a strange thing. He and Jeep Swenson fought each other in No Holds Barred in 89 (I'm gonna do that one soon!), they return to wrestling together in WCW in 96 as part of The Alliance to Destroy Hulkamania, Jeep would be Bane in Batman & Robin in 97 then suddenly die, Zeus would be in The Dark Knight in 08 and then years later 2020 he would die. IMO none of this is a coincidence :roll:

Jeep & Zues Batman Special 1.jpg

Teaser - Brief moment of the score by Hans Zimmer!

One huge gripe I have here with a lot of trailers. Many people doesn't care or pay attention to but I do and what I do is how the trailer compares to the movie. Sometimes their nearly the same and sometimes their not. Well, if you are an avid movie trailer watcher and watch the films closely then you'll know that they stick in scenes to get your attention for something that will get you really excited about and then when you go to the show or see it on VHS/DVD or whatever and then THAT SCENE ISN'T IN THE MOVIE :x ...I'm sure this has happen to you. Oh its get's to Me cause its happen a lot then I got used to it but still :roll: Also even a bigger aspect of this is when they shoot the scenes and you hear the dialog and their alternate when the movie is complete. If you have seen The Dark Knight and know it very well then look and watch this trailer, its not not as bad as Rogue One with the re-shoots but it's up there.

The Dark Knight Rises: So here we go again in 2012, 2 characters already been in the other films. Bane & Catwoman though she is really never called that name for whatever reason. The movie is nearly 3 hours but again, I'm all for more for My buck & time! So Bane isn't a mindless brute this time. Tom Hardy pulls off a superb performance. Though he might be a tad smaller that what he should be but indeed he is big. His voice seems different however. Anne Hathaway really makes a very sexy and hot Catwoman. Way, way better than was is seen in the Gotham series. Though she resembles her predecessors more in the original 60s series, I still like 92's Catwoman more, I still find her more classy & funner and all that. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really good as a cop. Mathew Modine has a part in this. The terrorist attack in phenomenally done here, its quite scary. I really liked the twist at the end with Talia! However, as I noted before, I think it was a pathetic attempt how they put Robin in, instead of the in your face holy cow moment it's Robin in Batman Forever. I think this was a good way to close up the trilogy. Zimmer's new themes especially for Bane is tremendous, you gotta hear that one!

Now here is some strange stuff which I'm only going to briefly note: Modine is in this movie, he was in Pacific Heights in 1990, Zimmer did the great music for that and Michael Keaton was in it. Aidan Gillen's Dr. J. Allen Hynek in Project Blue Book looks like Gary Oldman's Gordon and Gillen has a part here in TDKR. Josh Stewart & Will Estes who look a like and in Third Watch & Blue Bloods respectably are in TDKR. Bret Cullen is in this and would also be in the Joker years later. In the 66 Batman]/b], there's the Trump Card, in [b]TDR, Catwoman says "There's A Storming Coming" :?: A mad shooter at the Aurora Colorado theater killed 12 people during a 12:00 AM showing of TDKR and wanted to look like the Joker, just hours BEFORE this Lil Wayne (coincidence his name is Wayne) releases a music video about a shooting in a theater with 12 skeletons in the seats. The year is 2012. SH is on a map in the film. Months later in December again 12 the SH shooting happens...(coincidence of math?) 10 years later in it's 10th anniversary a certain Jones is testifying for SM :shock: Heath Ledger will live on thru Joseph Gordon-Levitt :? :shock: :o :batsmile:

Anyway here is the trailer for The Dark Knight Rises!

So that's it for the Batman movies for now from Me. I like the current movie universe but I want to move on to something different so we'll see what's next :batsmile:
Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:52 am

Wow, that's a lot to take in. That Batman Trilogy was probably the consistently good Batman depiction. I don't really care for the current DCU product, though I probably can't pass judgement on it. I haven't even seen Aquaman or the 2nd Wonder Woman film. I thought the first WW movie was pretty good. I didn't care for Batman vs Superman, though, and I've just stopped watching superhero movies in general from fatigue.

Now, anyone else see this in the theatre? Anyone see this at all? You're probably fortunate if you didn't.

Man, it seemed like Bill Cosby could do no wrong in the 80s (at least on TV), and I remember as a kid wanting to see this movie. What I remember most about it, was it being awful. And going to the Ponderosa and making a mess by dumping all kinds of food into our milkshakes (I was 9, so...).
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions