Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

The Halloween Thread - My favorite time of year!!!

Post special events like conventions, online events, get togethers, etc.

Re: The Halloween Thread - My favorite time of year!!!

Postby Caleb » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:46 pm

God, that Nightbreed Cabal Cut needs a release date. I've got a copy, so I'm more than willing to wait for it - I know Scream Factory doesn't like to rush things. But it'd be nice if they'd toss a release date on that thing already. I'm tellin' ya guys, the wait is worse than when it took Universal a year to announce the Jaws BD release date.

Seriously, it's worth the upgrade for Cronenberg's performance alone.
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Caleb » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Oh, and I finally managed to snag a copy of Maniac Cop at my local Used DVD store! Pretty excited about that one. Plus they had the Legacy Edition of Invisible Man for $11. I already own two copies of IM (one standard release and one in a tin with a bunch of other old horror flicks), but you really can't go wrong on those Legacy Editions.
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:13 pm

I'm sure we'll get a release date soon enough - Scream Factory's been on a crazy consistent schedule ever since it started up. I'm mostly excited about Night of the Demons, although having the box art ready makes it look like they're further along than they probably are. I talked to Linnea Quigley about it at that horror con I went to, and she knows pretty much the same info we do. I'm hoping they'll get her for the commentary track. It would be weird for them to not call her in for that.

Speaking of Nightbreed, the Hudson Horror Show wanted to screen the Cabal Cut, but the distributors didn't think Poughkeepsie was a big enough place to run the film in. Great job, guys! You missed out on a guaranteed sellout crowd of 250 or so people.

And oh man, great finds! I'm also excited that Maniac Cop 2's getting a release. Really fun slasher, even without the awesome cast of the first.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Princess_Amethyst » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm going to be watching a marathon of horror at my friend's place. She's doing a halloween party this year which I've been helping plan. For my halloween costume, I bought myself a Qin dynasty costume. I'm going to be a Kyonshi vampire like Hsein-Ko from Capcom's Darkstalkers game. I didn't even know what she was until my Asian friend explained to me that she was a vampire from the Qin dynasty and that was how they were portrayed in a lot of Asian horror movies! :wwgrin:
Princess_Amethyst
Hero
Hero

Postby beastovjudgement » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Bo-rilla Grodd wrote:
Caleb wrote:Oh, and what's on the list of features, Bo-Rilla?

well, I wouldnt want to take time to name ALL of them, so i just do what the final week is (double features)

Oct. 27 - Deadly Spawn/ the Thing
Oct. 28 - Nightmare on Elm St. 1-2
Oct. 29- Jeepers Creepers 1-2
Oct. 30 - Friday the 13th 2,3,4 (triple feature madness)
Oct. 31 - Halloween 1-2

But I have a block btwn 7th-9th where its Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and Carnival of Souls which Im real excited for.

And to BEAST: as soon as I saw your response, I started singing in my best Danzig voice, "Return of the Fly, With Vincent Price". lol. I love it. How is Rock n Shock??? Ive never been.

"If you're gonna scream, scream with me..."
Rock and Shock is pretty cool. It's in two separate buildings; one for the convention, and another about a block away for the music. There tend to be a lot of juggalos there, but what can you do. All this talk of horror movies reminds me I am overdue to re-watch The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, Susperia, and Inferno, four of my absolute favorites. I am also looking forward to the Cabal release, but even more so for Barker's next novel. Does anyone want to start a books thread, or should I?
"The bestial screams, a life devoted - to the occult.
The flickering lights, my dream came true.
And now I'm dead.
Find me, take me. To the void, to the crooked nest, to Nekrohaven."
Satyricon, "Nekrohaven"
beastovjudgement
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:43 am

secondwhiteline wrote:I'm not really sure what format the reunion's taking - I think there's gonna be some different Q&As and the whole thing's hosted by Marc. It's also partly a release event for that new oral history of Nickelodeon, Slimed. There's gonna be chances for autographs, as far as I know. The lineup is pretty excellent. It's in NYC on Friday. Link is here.

I REALLY wish I woulda known. That sounds AWESOME!!!
Last edited by AcidDragon on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
"He Got What He Came to Him"
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby secondwhiteline » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:24 am

Bo-rilla Grodd wrote:
secondwhiteline wrote:I'm not really sure what format the reunion's taking - I think there's gonna be some different Q&As and the whole thing's hosted by Marc. It's also partly a release event for that new oral history of Nickelodeon, Slimed. There's gonna be chances for autographs, as far as I know. The lineup is pretty excellent. It's in NYC on Friday. Link is here.

I REALLY wish I woulda known. That sounds AWESOME!!!

It was totally awesome! My gf got me a VIP ticket for my upcoming birthday, which included a copy of Slimed! and entrance to the preshow meet-and-greet.

Autographs/pictures I got...
The Adventures of Pete and Pete: Big Pete (Mike Maronna)
Don Wrigley (Hardy Rawls)
Miss Fingerwood (Syd Straw; she's also an awesome singer-songwriter)

Are You Afraid of the Dark?: Gary (Ross Hull)

Clarissa Explains It All: Ferguson (Jason Zimbler)
Sam (Sean O'Neal)

Double Dare: Marc Summers
Harvey the announcer

Hey Dude: Brad (Kelly Brown)

Nick Arcade: Phil Moore
James Bethea and Karim Miteff, creators of NIck Arcade

Salute Your Shorts: Sponge (Trevor Eyster)

Wild & Crazy Kids: Jessica Gaynes

The pics are up on my Facebook, but I'll put them up on my Photobucket so I can link them here.

Everyone I met was wonderful, but special mention to Hardy Rawls for launching into the HOOVER DAM SONG when we were talking about King of the Road. Nicest guy ever, too.

Jim Jenkins and a ton of the Doug cast and crew were there, but I didn't get the chance to meet them/didn't know what they looked like until the panel. Fred Newman and Dan Sawyer did a medley of the music, though, including Killer Tofu. And Fred Newman doing the weird mouth sounds really has to be seen to be believed (he also did the Skeeter and Mr. Dink voices). Definitely look him up on YouTube to see what the guy can do, it's incredible. BILLY WEST was there and on the Nicktoons panel, but wasn't around for any autographs. I'm sure he knew he'd get absolutely mobbed. It was worth it just to hear him do the Ren, Stimpy, Doug, and Roger voices in person, though.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:42 am

Thats Killer. Hopefully they will do another one.
"He Got What He Came to Him"
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby secondwhiteline » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they did more big Nick reunions like this - it was a sold-out theater. At the very least, I know show-specific reunions are common - they do Pete & Pete ones pretty often, and they've done Salute Your Shorts ones.

And in the film screenings category, there's a killer triple feature at the Palace in Syracuse on November 8th - 20 Million Miles to Earth, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, and Destroy All Monsters! All 35mm! So awesome.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Caleb » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Maaaaaaan, I've missed that Destroy All Monsters 35 EVERY single time it hits Illinois. I was keeping my fingers crossed that some of the Halloween film fests here in Chicago might snag it for October, but no such luck thus far. Still,I finally got to see the 3D print of Creature, which was pretty awesome.

As for the Halloween horror film fests, the Patio finally put the finishing touches on their The Massacre 24-Hour festival. Edison's Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, The Tomb of Ligeia, Romero's Martin, April Fool's Day, The Gate, Hellbound: Hellraiser II, Wild Zero, Slither, and (natch) Army of Darkness, plus a bunch of shorts and a Q&A with Fred Walton. Thanks to SWL for tipping me off that this thing was on again! Hopefully one of the vendor tables is stocking some Mondo posters!
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Special Events