Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:56 pm

Thanks. I switched to ML hands, they're slightly bigger so it doesn't look like she has those Robin baby hands. Also toying with the idea of a ScarJo hed because it's slightly smaller with the same hair, but I really like this head, so maybe not, Indecision clouds my vision...
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby wally2974 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:16 pm

Wondering if anyone has any advice or guidance....I bought this head cast of a Stormtrooper with a broken helmet and a skull showing from underneath it, awhile ago, from Glassman customs. I finally got around to painting it., with Rustoleum satin white spray paint(with built in primer). Days later, the paint is still tacky to the touch, like there are gases being released, from the resin it's cast in. I even sprayed a coat of Rustoleum semi-gloss clear over it, to try to seal it and it's still tacky, over a week later.
I have had the same problem, in the past, with a Face-Off Incredible Hulk head(Glassman Customs cast head). The hair, on the Hulk head cast stayed tacky for WEEKS, even though I did a bunch of layers of brushed on Tamiya paints. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks or tips on how to stop the stickiness or tackiness??Image
wally2974
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:58 pm

Darn. To be honest, Wally, you might be hooped. In my experience, once it gets tacky, that means there's a chemucal reaction and the more layers you put on to seal it in, you're actually going to make it worse because it's unable to off gas. The longer you leave it, it will become gummy to the core. You might just have to remove all the paint and scrape off any tacky residue. The best paints to use on resin and even 3D printed parts are water based acrylics straight from the bottle as even spray acrylics sometimes have additives to make the paint easier to propel and can react with resins and certain 3D printed parts.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:30 pm

I’ve had similar issues with acrylic paint on Legends, wrestling and DCUC figs….using the same matte clear spray sealant would be fine on one figure then a dust magnet for the next…so weird. I just keep plugging along and pray for the best…most of the time, those particular prayers are answered.

Now if I can get answered prayers to the good stuff, I’ll be all set
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:32 pm

Upon completing Oa, I am getting ready to move onto the Hall of Justice. Just need to organize, buy the foam and figure it out as I go…sure it takes a long time for this but it seems to be the best method for me; hurry up and wait, classic.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby 1987olds442 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:41 pm

Started working on a custom Merged Hulk using a KO 80th anniversary Hulk as the base. For the lower body I'm using the KO Juggernaut's waist, thighs, and knees.

WIP-Merged-Hulk-01.jpg

WIP-Merged-Hulk-02.jpg

WIP-Merged-Hulk-04.jpg
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby 1987olds442 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:41 pm

Started applying the sealer to the body, and the next step will be dullcoat.

WIP-Merged-Hulk-05.jpg
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:39 pm

That’s some wicked dedication that I don’t have when customizing….looking great already
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby 1987olds442 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:32 am

received_1268283253598361.jpeg
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:28 pm

That is looking SO good!
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs