Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu May 14, 2020 7:22 pm

I’ve always been weary of Legends Ladies builds...for that particular torso combination, I can see it being a tad too beefy; all depends on the character you’re Frankenstein-ing together...

A.B.F - til the day I die
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:30 pm

They're actually Black Series Farm Boy Luke arms which is why I was concerned they may look too buff. There really aren't any bare armed SW female figures (besides Aphra and she isn't cheap!). I may look at a smaller/teen ML female figure since SW are smaller than the average ML. I'm looking to make Mara Jade for my SW stuff, so I figured as an Emperor's Hand she should be a little more sculpted, just not sure if this is too East German. Might try shaving down the shoulders as I think that's my biggest question.

I've seen lot's of versions of her using straight up ML builds, but what's the point if she's as tall as Chewbacca on the shelf? Well, she wouldn't be that tall, but she definitely would be taller than the tallest female SW fig, and on par with Han Solo.

Harrison Ford 6'1"
Mara Jade 5'2"

Thanks for replying!

I like to avoid making a figure then having Hasbro make them, so I'm looking into EU Star Wars characters to make. Of course, just like every other line , ML, DCUC, my ideas far outpace my production, lol.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Fri May 15, 2020 2:30 am

I think the deltoid just push her arms away from the upper torso creating a gap where her lats and rib cage would be. The figure it came from might have had a deeper socket? Maybe sculpt bigger wider boobs? I think it's that gap because the ribcage is so slender. If bulking up the torso isn't an option, I'd sand away the lower inner part of the deltoid piece but the upper part actually looks anatomically fine to me.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri May 15, 2020 9:13 am

Now I have to google a bunch of science-y words, lol. Kidding. I thought of giving her the old Chesty Larue, but there's piping on the shirt I want to keep that I don't think I could replicate as good. I'm going to try some ML female arms and sand down the these farmer arms and see which I like better.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:04 pm

Well, quick update, it turns out that the combination of Elektra upper arm and Dazzler forearm are the same length as these Luke arms. But do the hands look too small? They're actual Black Series hands and I can't decide if they look Teen Titans Go! Robin-ish? But is the head a little big?
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Webslinger » Sun May 17, 2020 12:12 pm

Looking good but the head does look a little on the bulbous side... maybe you could modify a SWB female head with sculpted hair? Doctor Aphra would be good for parts...
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Ok, last option. Not sure why I'm so indecisive on this, SW legs with ML torso. Actually, the SW and ML torsos are pretty close in size, MLs just have much longer legs. Anyone have thoughts on this combo as opposed to the other version with the SW torso? I only have one leg on because getting the legs are off was kind of a pain in the arse and didn't want to risk breaking the peg for no reason.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed May 20, 2020 8:05 pm

Is it me or does the head appear to sit a little low on the neck? If so, you may need to add some sculpting material in the head hole, then imprint the ball joint into it to make sure it looks right and a good fit.

Otherwise she looks good

It’s SO hard to not overthink a custom...haha
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:12 pm

Yeah, the head is just sitting there. I plan to adjust it once I get everything finished. I think the thing that bugs me the most are the tiny feet. Did they do binding in a galaxy far, far away? It makes them hella hard to stand, too. Thanks for responding. I even went so far as to measure the torsos and both ML and SW female torsos are about 2.75 inches.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 pm

The head is a little big but it actually doesn't look unnatural to me. Overall, it actually looks pretty good so far!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs