Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

My Dinosaur figure collection: Dino Horizons Part 2!

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

Re: My Dinosaur figure collection: MOTU Tyrantisaurus Rex!

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:33 pm

That's a really nice piece, man. It really was a missed opportunity that they didn't do these guys for the Classics line. They did all those odd monsters so would have hoped to have had these included, too.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:43 am

AcidDragon wrote:That's a really nice piece, man. It really was a missed opportunity that they didn't do these guys for the Classics line. They did all those odd monsters so would have hoped to have had these included, too.

Thanks a lot dude :D Yes, they had so many opportunities which some of them was indeed the MOTU dinosaurs and they didn't take them which really sucked :roll:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:54 am

Here we go, one of the ones that I wanted to showcase the most all is My Larami Dinosaur set! It is one of My most prized & cherished dinosaur collections that I have (I will present a very special bonus at the end of this one so stay tuned for that)! So, yes, it is THAT SAME Larami of the awesome Super Soaker water guns that would be later owned by Hasbro (who bought out many great companies of the past such as Tonka/Kenner which IMO were fine before all of that!) under the NERF brand.

So, it was Christmas 1988 when My Grandparents surprised Me with a box of Dinosaurs that was actually a set and I was so stoked! I don't recall if I asked for it which was arguably even better because it totally unexpected! This is when I was really beginning to study dinosaurs and prehistoric life via books that My Grandparents & Mom got Me through My younger years.

Now, this set is indeed a special one as it represented (at the time) a very impressive lineup of well known animals of the Mesozoic era but would also "start" to depict them more accurately (I love the classic & old school depictions too) as more specimens were being found as opposed to the classical age depictions of years prior. The Sauropods IMO are ones that are being designed with more accuracy than the others within the series and to My knowledge this was one of the first sets ever to depict them in a more correct manner. The sculpting is decent for the time and on their bellies is a sculpted logo of the company Larami and the name of the creature that it represents. Thank goodness I took good care of them. Here is some pictures of the entire set with brief descriptions :D

Ankylosaurus: Really a small guy, looks a bit classical.

Triceratops: Same as the Ankylosaurus.

Stegosaurus: Same as the two above.

Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My Dinosaur figure collection: Larami Set + Special Bonu

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:55 am

Diplodicus: Ah, now we're talkin', this guy is nice and long and he isn't dragging his tail hence the newer discoveries!

Parasaurolopus: A larger type of Hadrosaur that still looks classical.

Iguanodon: Looks classical but gosh I love his hands.

Styrachosaurus: A really small guy and looks classic.

Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:57 am

Apatosaurus: Yes, no longer known as Brontosaurus and dragging his tail. He is really bulking as well. I think to Myself some times could this be the identity of Mokele-mbembe?

Tyrannosaurs Rex: Looking classical standing upright yet looking to be more modern at the same time.

Brachiosaurus: Oh man, the biggest of the whole lot. He is about 11" and 7" long. I have always loved him because of his massive size.

Pteranodon: A really small figure with a more modern design.

Plesiosaur: Arguably My favorite of the entire set. I love him because of his smooth blue skin. I always think could this "really be" Nessie?

The Set/Group! Look how great they are next to each other

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:59 am

BONUS!!!!!!!

During these times of 1986-1990, My Grandma was a customer of a really awesome toy catalog called Troll! They had tons of science stuff including figures & books of Prehistoria. She got Me a lot from that store (I believe that they went out of business some time in the early 90s but they were around a time when things were special and dinosaurs was such a priority, I loved that store and I have missed it for decades) and I thought that it would be apropos to show off these two unique figures as I have always put them with the Larami set and they are made by/for the British Museum of Natural History and here they are!

Ichthyosaurus: Yes, the "Fish-Lizard" has no paint and I never wanted to paint him because if did he would lose all of his value and original appearance. He is about 7" long. The sculpting is IMO still dandy to this day. There is a great sculpting info on his belly as well.

Blue Whale: Now, of course he isn't a marine reptile or even prehistoric, it's just that he was sold in a small set of 2 so I got him as well. Like his counterpart, he too isn't painted but the sculpting is top notch and he also has info sculpted on his underside.

Together!

Super Comparison! Yep, here they are with a couple selections of My Larami set!

That's all for now, I hope you have enjoyed this, much, much more great Dinosaur & Prehistoric Animal stuff coming your way soon!
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby MajorCandidZero » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:19 am

Brandon your set of Larami dinos are very nice. You seem to have several pieces that I was not aware was part of the set such as the Plesi. There is also a light green variant of the Styrachosaurus that you do not appear to have. That is the face itself is light green and does not have the red highlights. I am sure there may be even more out there than you have displayed here as you seem to have ones that I did not even know existed so surely there could be more rare pieces.
MajorCandidZero
Civilian
Civilian

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:16 am

MajorCandidZero wrote:Brandon your set of Larami dinos are very nice. You seem to have several pieces that I was not aware was part of the set such as the Plesi. There is also a light green variant of the Styrachosaurus that you do not appear to have. That is the face itself is light green and does not have the red highlights. I am sure there may be even more out there than you have displayed here as you seem to have ones that I did not even know existed so surely there could be more rare pieces.

Thanks Major for your comment. I was waiting for somebody to talk about it because this is a really special set. I actually didn't know about the variant of the Styrachosaurus but thank you for the info, it was surprising :) When My Grandparents got Me this set it was in a nice display box like one would expect from retail (I have misplaced it or either it got thrown away unfortunately) and I never really looked upon them after that to see if there were others in this series so no dude, what you see here is what I got of this set.

Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate that very much :D
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My Dinosaur figure collection: Dino Crayon Case + Dino-R

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:50 am

Here is a cool entry that I wanted to show in My great Dinosaur topic. Here is My old Dinosaur T-Rex Crayon Case and My only Dino-Rider. I put them together since there isn't much to them and since they are nearly from the same time. So without further ado...

Tyrannosaurus Crayon Case: This is made by Impact International Inc. I got this when I was in about first/second grade school and I took this prized case with Me a lot then. This is when school accessories was actually fun to have or or least it was for Me and when school was actually school. Gosh, it was so long ago and I still got it :o

What's inside? Could there still be crayons in it after all of these years :?:

YEP! Holy dino dung, there still is :o LOOK at that...YES, all of the crayons are still in there and hasn't been used since over 2 decades :shock:

OK, now the Dino-Riders. It was a great but very short-runned animated TV show 87-88. These are My only Dino-Riders, they were part of a great series made by the legendary company called Tyco! Unfortunately I never collected them for whatever reasons (I remember seeing tons of them at Grandpa Pigeons) and I really, really regret that as I think they were just awesome. The Dino-Riders are kinda scarce over the years and can be really expensive online as they are a top collectible series with good meaning.

The characters were called Pteranodon with Rasp. I loved the sculpting and the realistic approach they tried with the animals. I love the flying reptile's eyes, it was really an old school technique that I really miss these days. They are well made. Sadly I didn't take care them as I have misplaced their saddle, armor, weapons and trap. They have some POA and if you press the button in on the Pteranodon's back, he flaps his wings!

Here they are displayed using the ultra-cool MattyCollector flying stands (man do they come in handy)!

Here is a comparison of My Dino-Rider with My previously seen Larami T-Rex and the soon to be revealed (check the Joe section soon!) Brandon the Steel Brigader from G.I. Joe from 1987 :shock: :!:

Well, that is all for now, more great Dinosaur stuff coming soon so stay tuned...comments please :batsmile:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My Dinosaur figure collection: Dino Crayon Case + Dino-R

Postby OneNineSix » Sat May 01, 2021 5:06 pm

Love Dino-Riders! Did you watch the toons as well, B?
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Toy Discussions